Specialized 1999 Hardrock Comp FS Hardtail Bike

4.48/5 (31 Reviews)

1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett C, 1.8" travel fork

Submitted by Raiyn a Weekend Warrior from St. Pete FL

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Still gets me from point A to point B. Frame is great - no rust paint is still decent.

Weaknesses:    Stock driveline - Never realized how much a simple upgrade would change a bike.

Bottom Line:
Other than to install the upgrades listed above the only other work I've had to do to this bike was to replace the bottom bracket and overhaul the rear hub. Not too shabby for a bike that's 5 years old and gets used the way that mine does.

Favorite Trail:   The one I just finished

Similar Products Used:   You name it

Bike Setup:   Same as previous except for Cane Creek headset, Ritchey (OEM on Fuji Forza bikes) Stem, MAXM MX-6 handlebars, ODI "Rogue" Lock On grips, Deore shifters, LX Derailieurs, SRAM R-9 cassette, Specialized Strongarm II Crankset Time ATAC Control Z pedals Teflon cables everywhere, Profile Design "Kages", Cateye EL-300 5 LED Headlight, and a Cateye LD600 5 LED taillight.

Submitted by Raiyn from Tampa

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Strengths:    Used and abused it just keeps coming back for more.

Weaknesses:    None in present use

Bottom Line:
This bike has served me well over the last few years through trail duty and now that I've bought my new baby '03 Rockhopper FSR Comp it will continue to serve as my "Gotta get to work" bike. Handles all that I can throw at it potholes, curbs and the like haven't even fazed the ol' girl yet and I doubt she'll be put out to pasture anytime soon.

Bike Setup:   Converted to commuter duty this summer with Specialized Nimbus EX tires, and Topeak Defenders (only when it rains) all else the same as before.

Submitted by Wes_D a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Strengths:    (This is for a 1998 Hard rock sport FS). I've had this bike 4 years, haven't done anything to it, including a tuneup. I don't like the thin tubes on the frame but it takes a hell of a beating. I've bent the rims (finally replaced the back one). Tires are excellent, provide good grip and wear well. Cheap price for what you get.

Weaknesses:    Rims are weak (single-walled). No other complaints. Don't care too much for the chro-moly frame.

Bottom Line:
Heck of a bang for the buck. I've had this bike almost 5 years now and haven't done ANYTHING to it. I've put 100 miles on it the past couple months alone. The components aren't all that and the rear derallular is starting to jump around from the abuse, but I'd buy another specialized in a second. Probably not a good bike for a hard core rider but I expect this one will suffice for my first couple races. After, I will look into a Rock Hopper or Giant Rainier.

Favorite Trail:   Anything off-road

Purchased At:   A&B, Springfield, Missouri

Similar Products Used:   My Marin Bobcat trail (real piece of crap)

Bike Setup:   Totally stock, new rear rim is exact model of the old one.

Submitted by Dennis Dales a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, light frame, good geometry

Weaknesses:    Jett Fork, replacing it with a RS Judy XC or an old Indy I have kicking around. Tires are cheesy

Bottom Line:
I have a kind of nostalgia or affinty for this bike. I can't say enough about it. My first serious mtb was a Specialized Hardrock (that one was stolen). I spotted this baby at pawnshop just walking down the street to the bank. took a double take. Got the shop guy to let me test ride ride it. Man, just like old times! In fact I like it more than the $2000 dollar GT I'm slogging around with now. Why? Very light! Quick and nicely stretched out. Specialized just knows what its doing. New, this bike is a deal, used (if you can find one) it's a steal. I have to give it a 5 because although it's used and needs some work (new cassette and chain, better saddle and tires) the price was too good to pass up. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Brockville back country

Purchased At:   local Pawn shop

Similar Products Used:   1996 Hardrock comp, GT Backwoods, Norco Kokanee, GT Zaskar, Gary Fisher Rangitoto, etc.

Bike Setup:   Tottally Stock for now, previous owner changed nothing, rode little. Probably never knew what he had. Idiot.

Submitted by Raiyn a Cross Country Rider from Tampa

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2001

Strengths:    Good frame decent components Black and Silver very zoomy I got the Rapid Fire shifters rather than the wussy grip shi ts

Weaknesses:    no name v-brakes were too flexy, non ergo squishy saddle (got pitched right away) plastic knobbed quick releases suck, stock RS Jett C elastomers were too weak OEM pedals were bent from the factory

Bottom Line:
Ok lose the OEM seat, brakes, pedals, stupid reflectors (use lights they work better), as well as the weal QR's. Pop in some Mountain springs and youve got yourself one heck of a good MTB. You won't win races ('cept with your friends), but you will have a blast riding this bike thrugh some pretty technical stuff. All in all a competent machine and a GREAT beginners bike. This one will be in my collection for a very long time.

Similar Products Used:   Quest Trek

Bike Setup:   Mountain Speed firm ride springs (drastic improvement over stock Jett C Specialized Body Geometry Sport Saddle (aka Mr. Happy seat), Avid Arch Rival 40's (best binders I've had yet) DK Iron Cross platform pedals (heavy as a MOFO but take abuse like crazy and stay straight also they look bad a$$)

Submitted by Chris Osmond a Weekend Warrior from Chapel Hill, NC, 27516

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2001

Strengths:    Looks great, stable, I like the grip shift everyone else trashes, feels more secure. Has taken me through my first off-roading no sweat - traded up to it when I wanted to ride more seriously, and am confident that it will hold me in good stead for a while longer.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes feel like the saddle should be further back when I'm on steep downhill, but I'm a neophyte. Saddle kills my poor ass. Gears slip occasionally. Might add the front shocks like everyone suggests, a new saddle...

Bottom Line:
I've always felt this bike was a great buy - the more gearheads I meet on the trails (and reviews I read here) the surer I am. Screw the gearhead attitude BS! Buy cheap, ride hard!

Favorite Trail:   Estes Road Trailhead!

Purchased At:   Palo Alto, CA (last bargain in that town!)

Similar Products Used:   Novara, Fuji.

Bike Setup:   Off-the-shelf rigid 21"

Submitted by Ren a Downhiller from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2001

Strengths:    Nice looking Frame, Strong Frame, Handlebars are ok, Shifter is great if you get it adjusted every 5 months

Weaknesses:    The biggest weakness is the stock fork (I just ordered a 1999 Manitou sx-r from pricepoint.com for $120 to replace the jett-c)

Bottom Line:
This bike has been Great. I ride pretty Hard trails and can slam 3-foot dropoffs with ease with the manitou fork. Nothing has ever broken and I have taken it in to have the gears adj. Once!!(yesterday)(the nice people @ all star bikes did this 4 free!)

This bike is a good choice 4 everyone except pro racers. Stock It is a good bike for people who want to ride this bike on the road or do some light off road trail riding.
But for less than $150 it can tackle the roughest terrain with ease.

Favorite Trail:   Fallon Park

Purchased At:   All Star Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Marlin 9 w/rst 281 (it got ripped off)

Bike Setup:   Stock But with A Manitou SX-R fork (80mm travel with tpc damping cool!)

Submitted by Scott a Racer from Eugene,OR

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    Good and light frame. Good low end shock. Narrow seat and alluminum house brand stem and seatpost.

Weaknesses:    Sad components. Sad. Poor shifting. Sad.

Bottom Line:
I have had killer rides all over Chicago all day everyday, and have hammered some really advanced singletrack. I like this bike. The components just suck and don't hold up well enough for the abuse I give it. I demand a little more. But if you are not killing your bike on the hardest trails and treatng it like S***. You will like it. Good bike for girls too. Get it for your girlfriend and take her on some rides with you. SHe'll bond with you and lose that sick fat.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine, Dallas TX

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale f300

Bike Setup:   Stock, plus clipless pedals, barends and gripshift.

Submitted by someone someone from british columbia

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is very strong, and the Jett fork is way better then any of the indys, and the price is right

Weaknesses:    The rear derailer is junk, and so are the stock rims, and handle bars.

Bottom Line:
The frame on this bike is a lot better then its looks. A z3 would work perfect on this bike, but for xc the jett works fine.

Favorite Trail:   bender

Purchased At:   dizzy cycles

Bike Setup:   sun rims, riser bars, panaracer tires, welgo pedals, gloud 9 sattle, and a new shorter stem.

Submitted by randy a Cross Country Rider from finland

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
shifting ain't real good and the rims bent on me. plan to get fs bike soon. think they're better. overall the bike is a good beginner bike $650 for $400 great deal still only give it four flamin' huffys.

Submitted by Tim Pierce a Racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2000

Strengths:    strong frame good brakes good cranks and derailer.

Weaknesses:    Weak rims and stiff forks pedals

Bottom Line:
Wicked bike for your money.Very strong and reliable.

Favorite Trail:   EVERY WHERE!!

Similar Products Used:   gt timbeline

Bike Setup:   riser bars welgo pedalsnew cranks fater tyres

Submitted by trevor a Downhiller from waitsfield, vermont, washington

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Strengths:    this bike is a great bike for any type of terrain. It handles well on downhills and on steep climbs. you get lots of power on those tough uphills. It also corners very well.
This is an excelent bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    the component line up and the fork.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that this bike is an incredible machine for the price and is just over all a great buy.

Favorite Trail:   the clinic

Bike Setup:   Manitou sx fork, xt shifters, levers and rear deralliure, lx v-brakes, titec hellbent bar and titec big al' stem.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Lake Tahoe, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Strengths:    Great Value, good performer, & (most important) a blast to ride. I ride out to Fallen Leaf Lake at least three times a week and have started riding to work ever day on this bike. I've riden on spooner summit (south of the flume trail) and a few other local trails with good results. An excellent bike for the $ from the ones I see sold at the local shops.

Weaknesses:    The seat was donated by the Spanish Inquisition. Only a proctologist could appreciate the stock seat. The tires are also a problem. They only perform well on hardpack. Mud will catch you and sand just devours these tires.

Bottom Line:
An excellent intro bike for someone headed to intermediate levels and wants a basic hardtail that performs like a $700+ bike and costs I ride it everyday to work, most weekends, and at least three times a week to a local lake and the ride only gets better. My only complaint is my dog has a hard time keeping up on the way to the lake.

Favorite Trail:   Like'em all

Bike Setup:   Basically stock. Changed the seat and added bar ends. Will upgrade the tires after wearing them down a little.

Submitted by rev_malt_cup lipski a Weekend Warrior from cicero illinois

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Strengths:    Nice Frame
Stiff shocks ok for the riding I do
Cool color/green & black

Weaknesses:    Hell why be sour ....
I'm satisfied it's an improvement over my haro impasse from 93

Bottom Line:
I'm just happy I got to return the Gt Aggressor I purchased and get this at the same price. I was a fool and the aggressor was too small and anyhow the specialized has better handlebars, stiffer shocks (the aggressors shocks were tooo soft), looks cooler (thought the aggressor looked pretty sharp too), I dig it and look forward to taking good care of it and owning the frame for years.

Favorite Trail:   the streets of chicago