Scott 2001 Elite Racing Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Kris a Weekend Warrior from Derby, UK

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2003

Strengths:    Oh so light (25.5lb all in)! THE bike for hill climbs! Anti Vibration System composite frame smooths-out the bumps on downhill sprints. Supple ride yet lighter than most other hardtails!

Weaknesses:    Look at it wrong and the paint chips off! Chain cuts through swing arm on large rings (fixed with 115mm BB)!
No disc mounts on rear swing arm, and rim brakes don't work too well when lubed with mud. Colour scheme looks a bit gay.

Bottom Line:
What a bargain! This bike is now 4 years old but was like new when I bought it 4 months ago! I knew nothing about this bike when I first saw it and internet data is a bit thin on the ground, looked a bit girly on the photo (blue, yellow and red) and it's age gave me doubts.

When I bought it the frame looked like it was never raced! Soon sorted that out!! I have done 82 mile on road hill climbs, downhill rut runs, XC slogs and 20 minute city sprints from work on this thing and it soon felt like it was a part of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a seasoned mountian biker but when I got used to the far forward riding position and supple yet responsive ride I cannot think of a bike that I would rather have. I doubt that I will ever take advantage of it's true abilities.

Just hope I don't damage the frame 'cos I can't think of one I'd rather have for less than £800. Feel sorry for the poor sod I outbid...

Favorite Trail:   Marin Trail, Betws

Purchased At:   ebay.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Some of my friends' mid-range (£500-£700) XC bikes but nothing felt quite like this!

Bike Setup:   2000 Stock. Project Endorphin Thermobild Composite Frame, a masochistic excuse for a seat, LX front mech, XT Rear mech, LX hubs/crank/shifters, Mavic X221 rims, Avid arch rival brakes, Judy XC forks, Kore bar/stem, cheap UN52 bottom bracket failed: replaced with UN72. Tioga Factory XC tyres. The only luxury add-on is a VDO heart rate monitor. 205bpm is not uncommon...