Schwinn 2001 Homegrown Pro Hardtail Bike

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by editor mtb mexico a Racer from huixquilucan

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    light, supple

Bottom Line:
My race bike since 2001 i have the 2.9 pound blue frame 4 racing and the little heavier 3.4 frame 4 my training bike.
Climbs real well, and is a little forgiving in your back. Lively feel, and she´s on her 4th season now, still a classic light hardtail. For some races i use a thuddy.

Favorite Trail:   san lorenzo

Purchased At:   sold by friend

Similar Products Used:   homegrown 3.4pound frame 2001

Bike Setup:   old xtr, 2001 sid sl, pythons, xtr-517 wheels, fizik gobi, thomson seatpost, weighs 20 pounds

Submitted by Ben Cantrell a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    lightweight, stiff, bassboat blue (hot!)

Bottom Line:
i have had a couple bikes before this one, but none as nice, i bought it new in 01 and just this year reoutfitted it with new, current parts. oh man i love this bike, i am still young so can tolerate a very rigid hardtail, someday i'll have to convert over to an old man rig. this bike was designed to go fast and it sure did today. a legendary and classic bike.

Favorite Trail:   bear claw poppy

Purchased At:   sunlight ski and bike

Bike Setup:   alpha Q h-bars, avid juicy five, sram rocket shifters, reba race, bontrager race x lite center locks, wtb mutano raptor 2.4, xtr 177.5 cranks, xtr frt der, time pedals, easton post, original fizik saddle

Submitted by Phil Slot a Cross Country Rider from Malibu, Ca, United States

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2005

Strengths:    One of the lightest frames available @ 2.9 lbs. Total weight of 22 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Frame is a little weak if you are a heavy rider. I am 175 and have no problems. Rolf satellite wheels are a little weak if you are doing more extreme trails

Bottom Line:
Extremely fast acceleration, and a great climber. One of the nicest hardails I have ever ridden. The last of the good schwinns handmade by Yeti in Co. New price in 2001 around 1900. These bikes are significantly cheaper used than other high end hardtails.

Favorite Trail:   backbone

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed or Klein hardtails

Bike Setup:   Judy SL. Rolf satellite rims and hubs. XTR r der. ,shifters, and brakes. Xt cas., chain, cranks, and fr. der. Time pedals.

Submitted by Kurt a Cross Country Rider from Santa Ana,CA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2002

Strengths:    Frame!! Light weight, solid!

Weaknesses:    like everyone eles said, titec seat post and stem, fizik seat, deore hubs. And tires are no good except for racing. But who cares change those out for around 300 bones and get sweet hard tail for a life time!

Bottom Line:
one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Plenty stiff and light. But not too stiff, very forgiving. Plan on keeping it for as long as it last.

Favorite Trail:   meadows

Purchased At:   schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro, santa cruz bullit, gary fishers

Bike Setup:   monkey lite carbon bar, salsa seat post, selle marcos seat, and easton stem. Huchington pythons

Submitted by Erik Vaaler a Cross Country Rider from Huntington Beach

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    PRICE!!!!! Just the fork and frame is worth 900 bucks, plus the frame is sweet, light, and bullet proof.. The Mars Elite is an OK fork, but comes set up way to light for a large rider..

Weaknesses:    TITEC PARTS.... DEORE HUBS... I have pretty much destroyed the titec seat post and the rear deore hub is now longer a free wheel. The Michelin tires OK for standard cross country fireroads, but anything loose or technical they suck..

Bottom Line:
I think this bike is very sweet, especially the frame, great job by Schwinn, the parts mix could have been a little better, but I can't complain one bit for 997 bucks.. I could still spend 500 more bucks upgrading, and still have a great deal, and an awesome ride..

The damn thing climbs like a mountian goat, descends better than any hard tail I have ever ridden, and handles the tight technical stuff like a champ.. I can't believe how light the bike is, but still handles wheel at high speeds, doesn't get to sketchy.. The front end does get a little light on real steep climbs, but nothing that I can't handle..

Once you ditch most of the Titec and Deore parts, this ride is as sweet as it gets..

Get one if you still can!!! unless you are a total huckster, then this bike would not be for you, you would be better with an Uzzi SL or a Stinky...

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   SuperBlow

Similar Products Used:   Mt. Tam, M2 Pro, S-works, FSR-XC,

Bike Setup:   Stock set up for the most part, through on my Crossmax's to replace the blown rear hub, some new Python treads, Ritchey pedals (just didn't like the ATAC's), Crowbar bar,

Submitted by matt a Cross Country Rider from SC

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Strengths:    One of the best frames ever produced, good component group. light, fast, handles well. Mars elite is NICE. Time ATACs rock!

Weaknesses:    XT shifter pods would be nice. Titec Xwing post is a piece of crap. Deore hubs... excuse me? Not that big a deal really. the Homegrown decal stickers seem like they want to come off (like I care; added that as an afterthought - anybody who would let that stop them from buying this bike is very foolish).

Bottom Line:
WOW!! too bad Supergo is out of them now. everybody who didn't get one missed out on the steal of the decade. if you are buying used, you can't go wrong with one of these that is still in good shape.

This thing looks pretty stern, too. i was out on mine last weekend, and i leaned the bike against a tree for a minute while i watched some turkeys running through the woods. i turned around to go get back on my bike and saw it standing there from about 50 feet away, and I thought, "Damn, what a sweet ride."

Then i jumped back on and rode up a long fireroad climb - that i used to have to do in like 2nd or 3rd gear on my 21-speed Trek steel rigid job (now my commuter for going to class) - ON THE SECOND CHAINRING. this bike is light enough for me to ride into a wheelie from a standing start in any gear up to about 32-2? (middle chainring and somewhere in the middle of the cassette).

I can't say enough good things about this bike. I wish I were on it right now. I am actually going to race this season for the first time. Should be exciting! 10 hot ones for the homegrown!

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn. in B'ham, AL

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   nothing nearly this nice

Bike Setup:   completely stock (and 24 pounds even!) - not bad for $1000 and still has a high-end drivetrain

Submitted by Mark Aloia from Providence, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    Very light bike! The frame is bomb-proof and super light! The standard components are mostly top-notch.

Weaknesses:    The hubs are deore and the shifters are LX when everything else is XT or better.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike and you can get great deals now that Schwinn has gone bankrupt. Just be careful. The rear der. hanger is a schwinn-specific part and hard to get now. If you have a bent hanger, you may not have a bike. Other than that, what a bike for a great price! I love mine!

Favorite Trail:   Big River

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Mark Plunkett a Weekend Warrior from Austin,TX,USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent overall cross country MTB. Light, stiff frame with excellent geometry. Accellerates and climbs extremely well.

Weaknesses:    Deore hubs, titec seatpost.(remember this is a production bike. Group component packages in the sub- top-of-the-line bikes are often questionable to individual tastes)

Bottom Line:
I got a closeout bike. Dangerous I know. I love bikes. Once I saw the Homegrowns, I fell in love with them. They have always been very impressive hardtails. I was a little gunshy at the retail price. I almost got a Moab, but fortuanately held off. The Pacific/Schwinn thing is unfortuanate. Expect no support. Also, using Supergo, I don't feel great about it, but I got a bike I always wanted that I probably would have not othewise. This bike has exceeded my high expectations. It is so responsive and quick!! Durablity has yet to prove itself , and only time will tell. I am very optimistic after the few weeks so far. It has done well in intermediate rocky terrain and hills it has faced with my big body. If it holds up, I would pay retail easily for this fantastic design/frame.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Canondale M700

Bike Setup:   I am 6'6"/230#. Most would not want me on a "lightweight". I got a Thompson seatpost (did not trust the titec xwing, and a heavyweight wheelset (rhynolites/LX/straight guage spokes). Otherwise, stock XT/XTR/Avid setup is great

Submitted by Larry Smith a Cross Country Rider from Memphis, TN

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2001

Strengths:    Incredibly light; solid frame, fork, and parts package.... except

Weaknesses:    As another reviewer put it, Deore hubs?

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike as soon as the bankruptcy-induced sales began. For 1350, incredible value for the frame and Mars elite fork. The Titec seatpost broke soon after bike acquisition, but I can't blame that on Schwinn. The Deore hubs (or at least the back one anyway) are already falling apart after 6 months. I am ignoring these minor inconveniences because of the frame.

Similar Products Used:   Old Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Stock except Thomson seatpost (which replaces the broken Titec) and XTR shifters. Next will be the hubs..

Submitted by MTL a Racer from Canton, MI

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as my 01 XC race bike and sold it for a 2001 Straight Six after it sat during the winter and was ridden a bunch of times in the spring. I had other bikes to ride in the snow. Anyway, the frame was the stiffest laterally that I have ridden and it had some great vertical compliance. This bike clibed lie you wouldnt believe. On the descents, it had some weird handling characteristics that I never got used to. I tried a wider rise bar and that helped, but it still felt like the head tube angle was too steep, even though its pretty slack for an XC bike by the numbers.

Check this out, my bike weighed in at 23 lbs 9 oz. We had the EXACT same 19" Pro on the floor and it weighed 24 lbs 1 oz. I dont know how to explain 1/2 lb in the EXACT same bike. That was weird. Im glad mine was the light one! Schwinn, lose the crappy gray cables. No matter what I did, the brakes and shifters required waaay more effort than standard cables/housing. I have the same problem on my Straight Six with the shifters (hydaulic Hayes brakes).

I hope the guy that bought my bike is happy. It paid for most of my Six which I ride way more than the Pro. Too bad this bike doesnt have the paint scheme of the Comp. I almost bought that one with the yellow and candy apple red fork. SOme dude just rode by my apartment yesterdy with one and it looked cool.

Purchased At:   EP

Submitted by Willioam Maier a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Strengths:    Frame!!! Superlight (2.9lbs.), Stiff-STIFF-stiff aluminum that offers a great ride, very fast and so far very durableGreat parts mix (for the most part)

Weaknesses:    Hubs are Deore, tires.

Bottom Line:
This bike rides like a dream. It is so smooth and fast. It handles very well and has a tight turn radius.
The fork is great. Good feel, performance etc.
THE PROBLEMS:
Left shifter's indicator broke within 1 week
Broke the chain wintin 2 weeks
Just broke the seatpost
Tires are good mud tires, not the best for dry
Stickers peel (becuase of type of paint)

I did research too much else in this price range because I pro dealed the bike. After riding the bike, I would not buy anthing else. This bike is fast and superlight. I like the brakes, which was earlier critiqued and beleive it or not the seat is good. If you are looking for a bike that is super light and has probably the best core (Frame. fork, crank) in it's price range this is the one. I would recommend changing the tires immediatly.

Keep in mind for any bike, if u have problems it is not the companies fault (eg. Schwinn) they only make the frame. Send your hate-mail to the indvidual company (um...titec...um)

ATTN Schwinn: Titec parts (i believe) are made offshore. GET components on this quality of a bike that are "HOMEGROWN".

I take away 1 chili for the problems I have had, but talking to people it is isolated.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Dukes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ Ritchey w.c.s pedals , new tires, seat post, chain

Submitted by Austin Vaughan a Weekend Warrior from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    Light (24 pounds?), looks awesome, the cobalt-blue color is just too good, it rides FAST, and the Schwinn brand name. Cables run on the top side of the crotchbar - nice for carrying. stock seat is actually pretty decent.

Weaknesses:    some very cheap components for a high end hardtail.. deore hubs?? also cheap handlebar (titec hellbent), seatpost (titec xwing), and brakes (avid 7's). retail $1850?? yea right! Surprsingly, I have NOT had a good experience with the TIME atac's so far - bruising from inability to disengage. My Shimano SPD's are much easier to clip out of

Bottom Line:
I paid $1600+tax = $1726. From talking to the dealer, I believe it costs them around $1350. First of all let me say this bike is not the best buy for the dollar, but I knew that beforehand. I shopped around, and decided this was the FRAME i wanted (2.9 pounds). I ride singletrack, paved trails, and street, and i wanted a fast and versatile machine. Some of the components are a joke for this price range but the core drivetrain components are good. It will need some upgrades. I added Python tires which really track well and they are very sharp looking with the yellow trim. This bike is LITE! I love it so far, but have owned it less than a month, so this is only an initial review. It can turn on very tight radius. I can jump higher on this bike too, but I am warry to do any 4-5 foot drops because I know the frame is built for speed over abuse. Bottom line, this bike is lite and fast and the bike's color is really awesome (metallic-cobalt blue), BUT.. Shimano did cheap-out on some of the compononents which will need to be upgraded. pay $1500 and you got yourself a good deal

Favorite Trail:   Landahl Park, Missouri

Purchased At:   local sto'

Similar Products Used:   my first bike was a '98 GT Ricochet which is now extremely thrashed (i upgrade it with shimana SPD's). you can get ALOT more bike for the same $800 today. I have little other product experience...

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for Hutchinson Python Gold tires. Stock is XT front+cranks, XTR rear, Manitou Mars Elite fork, etc..

Submitted by Dooby Dooby a Cross Country Rider from Crested Butte, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2001

Strengths:    I love the way that it rides, everything it hits feel's really smooth. The Mars Elite was a great choice for Schwinn to throw onto this bike, and I also really like Time ATAC's - I've been riding SPD 545's for the last year, and they are a huge improvement over them.

Weaknesses:    I've been having trouble with the XTR rear derailure, the guy I bought it from recommended tightening in the low screw as tight as I can, and then adjust the high like normal, and that has been working pretty well. I also really dont like the Titec X-Wing seatpost, I'm sorry, but that thing is a peice. I'm probably going to upgrade to a Thompson.

Bottom Line:
I really like the bike, I havent been able to ride it as much as I want to because of school and other things, but so far I love the bike overall. I would like to throw a rapid rise rear derailure onto it sometime this summer if I have the time and money to do so, but its not really that big of a thing to me. The Mars Elite is a really nice fork, sometimes I wish that it was a little less stiff, but on the other hand sometimes I find myself wishing it was stiffer. Also, with about 40 miles on the bike, I got it for I think $500 less than retail price, which I think is a little high for a XT bike personally, but it IS a great bike.

Purchased At:   used with less than 40 miles on it, from MTBR.com marketplace!