Schwinn 2000 Mesa GSX Hardtail Bike

4.21/5 (29 Reviews)

schwinn 2000 Mesa GSX

Submitted by dclprogramming a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    The bike looks good and rides nice. Very sturdy frame.

Weaknesses:    The seat is rediculously hard and should have been changed in the very beginning.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike 10 years ago and it was my first and only Mountain Bike. The seat needs to be changed due to being really uncomfortable. Other that that this has been a great bike for the price and has held up nicely over the years. I recently moved to the city and will be using as a daily commuter so new tires are in order.

Purchased At:   Schwinn Orland Park

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ted a Weekend Warrior from Oak Brook, Illinois, US

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to upgrade.

Weaknesses:    The bottem bracket is poor.

Bottom Line:
Ok, I used the bike day-in-day-out for 4 years with about 4000 miles/year (~16,000 miles total). I used it to ride to work everyday, and weekend trail riding. Yes even in the winter as long as the snow is under 2 inches. If you ride in the winter, use studded tires, it has saved a number of falls.

For the most part what broke on the bike I could repair. The end came when the steel bottem bracket wore the frame so much that the threads on the bottem were completely worn off [the threads on the top of the frame where the bottem bracket screws in, and on the bottem bracket cassette were still fine.]. The frame at this point is pretty much not repairable. I would call it the end of the frame/bike.

I do not know if the design problem is the steel bottem bracket and the Aluminum frame and over time the steel will win out, or if it was a flaw in the Aluminum frame.

Over all a good strong bike....

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Durango Sport.

Bike Setup:   After 4 years I have changed - seat, brakes (deore), petals, tires (panaracer), rims, handle grips, cables (teflon), rear derailleur (deore).

Submitted by Bishop a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    Very tough frame. It is very solidly built with a decent mix of Deore and LX. Also the Tioga wheels it came with are very strong. Only untrued a few times in the almost three years I've owned it.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side. also the cheap truvativ crank and bottom bracket sucks. Replaced it with LX when it wore out.

Bottom Line:
Very awsome bike and well worth the money spent. Schwinn MADE a very quality product.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch

Purchased At:   bay schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Home Grown

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock except for the drive train which i replaced with XT / XTR mix.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Irvine CA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Deore Parts, nice lightweight frame, Unbelievable price for a new bike compare to $500 others with same components.

Weaknesses:    Front deraileur, cheap pedal cage. black color, hard (but good looking)saddle.

Bottom Line:
Great Great bikes with lower price than Gary Fisher, Trek, and Specialized, why not! I only had problem with its Deore front deraileur, it failed me many times when I really needed it. I am surprised by its uphill ability, it made me look really good when I rode with my friends with Cannodale and Stumjuper, I was not behind!

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Tesirosa? Trek 4900, specialized A1 Comp

Bike Setup:   It might be a 2001 model with all black paint (without the white hightlight at front)

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    Fairly light, no exceptionally weak components, very consistent

Weaknesses:    No great components, stuff will wear out over time

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike for those on a budget. It will do well on the trail right out of the shop, and the frame is good enough that i'm able to upgrade components and not feel like i'm just putting good stuff on a crappy bike. I've even done some racing with it and, other than having the cheapest bike on the mountain, it was fine. Fun bike and a great value.

Favorite Trail:   beaver lake

Bike Setup:   Selle saddle, m515 clipless pedals, XT v-brakes, LX crankset, LX/sun wheelset

Submitted by Leslie a Weekend Warrior from Dallas

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2002

Strengths:    I like the bike because it's not too flashy. It's fun to ride, and it shifts and rides well. I ride both off-road with my husband, and on the hike and bike trails with my friends. I'm only 5'2", and this is one of the only bikes that I tested that I feel comfortable riding (the bike is a 15").

Weaknesses:    This bike seems a little on the heavy side compared to my husbands bike. The factory seat was horrible (for women). The brakes seem to work great to me, I don't have a baseline for comparison though.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, it shifts well, rides well, and is the perfect combination of value and performance for me. No upgrades planned in the future except, perhaps, for clipless pedals. I hope to keep this bike for ten or more years. I highly recommended this bike.

Similar Products Used:   This is my first mountain bike, and my first bike bike since I was in middle school.

Bike Setup:   Factory except for the seat.

Submitted by ernie a Cross Country Rider from los angeles

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Nice frame, downward toptube for jumping, marginal Deore parts, good entry level bike

Weaknesses:    front fork RS Jett, Tektro brakes, caged pedals, stem too short, seat is hard as a rock

Bottom Line:
Schwinn makes good stuff. The GSX is a good aluminum lightweight bike ideal for on and off road. Replace the shock immediately, change the stem unless youre a short armed midget , change the seat unless you have more than enough fat on your ass and change the brakes to LX.

Favorite Trail:   Beaudry

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Dx 3.5

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to Zokes air shock, Azonic ORC stem, LX crankset, regular pedals, softer gel seat

Submitted by Mark Davies a Weekend Warrior from Berkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Strengths:    Nice frame, solid choice of components for the price.

Weaknesses:    None at the price. Might have been better supplied with knobblies rather than the semi-slicks it came with, but I use both anyway. Paint has started to rub where cables touch. Saddle is only OK.

Bottom Line:
Bought this as a first MTB - only had cheap roadbikes before. Seems like a good bike for a XC recreational rider. Bought it with the intention of riding it and upgrading as things wear out, as frame seems pretty good. Only problem is that I bought the 21" version which is a bit close on standover clearance for my height, but does let me ride stretched out and comfortable. Fine on smooth trails, but a bit tricky over rocky bits. I think I'm just an awkward build - short legs and long body.

Has a reasonable mix of components - Schwinn did well to use normal kit when it might have been tempting to have something more attention grabbing like disc brakes or 9-speed that would have meant more compromises elsewhere.

Fork lacks travel when used off-road, so I'm upgrading that. Added second set of wheels so can swap from road/off-road tyres easily. Nice to see bosses for adding luggage rack, which adds versatility, and bosses for second bottle cage. Some all-round nice touches like well-routed cables. Disappointed that some bolts are going rusty, should be supplied with stainless.

Overall a well thought out all-round bike that doesn't excel in any one area, but doesn't have any obvious weaknesses either.

Purchased At:   Halfords

Bike Setup:   Mavic F519 on LX hubs, WTB Velociraptors. About to upgrade fork to Manitou SXR. SPD's.

Submitted by Grant Murphy a Cross Country Rider from Manchester, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Strengths:    Manitou fork, shifters, and every thing else

Weaknesses:    The Front Deraileur sucks, so i took it to my bike shop and they gave me a FREE SHIMANO XT deraileur! the tires were ok, but i changed them with Panaracer Fire XC. The cranks have broke becauce i was jumping it and they snaped when i landed(DON'T DO REALLY BIG JUMPS ON THIS BIKE).

Bottom Line:
The bike has had a lot of hard riding, but it hasn't broken yet except the rear der. cable has broke a few times otherwise IT'S ALL GOOD. The bike has held up really good since I do construction riding which is very hard on the bike with the BIG jumps and the BIG wipe outs. I LOVE IT!!! I would recommend this bike to light XC riders with not to many jumps in the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Ribbon

Purchased At:   Bicycles Repairs ( Schwinn Shop)

Bike Setup:   GOOD!!!!

Submitted by Patrick W. a Weekend Warrior from E-town KY

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Strengths:    Seems to be holding up well. I've run it through and over about every tough object and some at high speeds without and broken parts. Rear derailer working fine along with the breaks.

Weaknesses:    Some time during a ride I bent my rear wheel. Can't keep it straight and will likely need a new one once this one gets too bad. Front derailer doesn't work well and the grips want to slide off a little. Breaks work well but seem to be wearing quickly.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, wish I would have known about this web site before I bought it because I would have saved at least $100 from the dealer. Seems to take a lot of beating without any problems. Paint is holding well and it better considering the wrecks I've had.

Favorite Trail:   Otter Creek

Purchased At:   E-town Schwinn

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Glastonbury, CT

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight frame, manitou magnum fork(good for cross country), component

Weaknesses:    Front derailler is a pain in the ass, a little too much maintenance required

Bottom Line:
Good overall bike. Seems to be in the bike shop an awful lot. For all the repairs, you might as well buy a more expensive bike

Favorite Trail:   Case Mountain

Purchased At:   Bicycles East

Bike Setup:   2001 Mesa GSX frame, manitou magnum fork, schwinn moab tires, shimano deore front/rear/ derrailer

Submitted by MntnMan a Weekend Warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    Strong frame, decent components for the price

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur sucks, Rock Shox Jett isn't much of a suspension fork

Bottom Line:
I am basically pleased with this bike. It is my first mountain bike and has held up to all my spills, endos, and crashes as I learned how to ride some nice east coast single track with some real technical roots, rocks, trees and hills. Since money is an issue, I plan on upgrading components as they wear. The first is the fork. I will probably change the front derailleur from the Acera to at least a Deore or LX. Its basically a decent bike for the price and will take a beating.

Favorite Trail:   SM Reservation

Bike Setup:   stock with bar ends, just bought a Marzocchi Bomber Z3 Coil. Can't wait to get out on it and see the difference it makes.

Submitted by a guy a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Strengths:    It's good value, I think it has good brakes (but some people here want to differ) and mine came with a beautiful little gel saddle which I now sit on to watch TV. The frame is okay and the stem is comfy for me. The grips I got with the bike are very good quality, although for some reason they slip down the bar ends.

Weaknesses:    The front derailleur needs far more maintenance than it deserves. Even cycling along roads can make it not want to shift. You can fix the problem while pedalling, but it would be much easier not to have anything to fix at all. The RST fork I got with the bike isn't exactly the best fork and doesn't have much travel. You might want to consider replacing it.
The pedals I got have edges like razor-blades. A slip of the foot on downhills can hack the skin off your shins.

Bottom Line:
A good bike for your money, but if you're into trials or serious downhill, you might want to consider looking to a higher price range. This is great value, but don't expect it to be a cheap Cannondale or anything.

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Claud Butler Hardtail, Trek & Specialized hartails etc.

Bike Setup:   Gel Saddle, RST 281 fork, Mesa handlebar and Schwinn Gel Saddle. Some okay wheels and tyres (forgotten their names) and Tektra Brakes. Came with Shimano Deora and Shimano Acera derailleurs.

Submitted by lou dog a Cross Country Rider from okemos, mi ,ingham

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    good component choice for the price. fast and nimble on the trails, thanks to the 27 speeds.

Weaknesses:    not the greatest urban assult bike, my rims keep bending. front shock could definetly be replaced, bottoms out on any drop off of 2 feet or more. seat will really hurt your ass after an hour.

Bottom Line:
if your broke like me and want a good bike this is the ride.

Purchased At:   dick head schwin in okemos