Santa Cruz 2001 Juliana Cushtail SPX Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Santa Cruz introduces the world to a women's ass-kicking, trail-crushing machinethe Juliana. Built around its durable, functional, and reliable single-pivot suspension system, the Juliana sucks up chatter as effectively as your overly curious, overbearing great aunt at a family Christmas party. The Juliana provides 100mm of butter-smooth suspension in the rear and up to 120mm in the front for one-upping that annoying guy on the trail who won't stop trying to keep up. Fast-rolling Mavic MX 117 ri

Submitted by Jody a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX , USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    Very light, responsive

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any so far....

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!! It's so light and responsive. Climbing hills is so much easier than with my old GT. The components are very nice (although I wish the cranks and shifters were XT as well). The fit is just about perfect (I might need to try a slightly longer stem). I've read reviews that the tires I have are prone to pinch flats. I have not had this problem, but I don't weigh very much...

The frame is very light, and I think it's a "pretty" bike.

The Sid SL shock took me some getting used to - I had a pretty low-end shock on my old bike, so I wasn't used to how squishy it is. Now, I love it! I like that it has that lockout feature. The suspension seat post is nice too. Takes some of the edge off the rocky rides here in Austin.

When I first started riding this bike, I noticed that the brakes got squeaky when they got wet. I don't know why... but they don't seem to squeak anymore.

I've ridden this bike almost every weekend since I received it for Christmas...

I highly recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   So far, Flat Creek

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop

Similar Products Used:   My old bike - Tequesta GT (very heavy in comparison)
I tried out the Women's specific Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Bike Setup:   Medium frame
Super X Build Kit (XT derailers, LX hollow cranks, Avid 7 V-brakes, Bontrager Valiant rim, Hutchinson Python tires.... see the Santa Cruz website for more details )
Front suspension - Sid SL
Pedals - Crank Bros. Eggbeater

Submitted by Will a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    Purpose built female design. Light. My wife loves it. Designed by Julie!!

Weaknesses:    Price, incorrect fork setup, only 1 year frame warranty, Deore components on a $1,299 bike.

Bottom Line:
This is same frame, but has the low end x-kit. Only a few rides, so I may update later.

Bought this for my wife who is starting to show some promise as a Mt Biker. We have fun with it, and I'd be willing to pay double the price if it meant her having a better time. She rides sections she never felt comfortable enough to try before, and her back pain is gone because the bike fits right. Also she climbs better.

The Judy SL comes with the standard medium spring. It should have the light or soft spring because I don't know many 165 pound biking females. I have ordered the soft spring.

The frame is beautiful, but only has a 1 year warranty. This shouldn't be a problem as my wife is not a hammerhead and weighs 120 in full gear. The bike size is a medium. Weight is about 23.5 pounds and can go lower with a few upgrades if ever needed.

Santa Cruz forgot the Rockshox seatpost. Sent a Kalloy, which is standard on the other x-kit bikes. RS post is being shipped, and they apologized for the mistake. Wheels have 14/15 guage spokes. Specs called for 15 guage straight. I'm cool will the wheels though.

I'm a hard grader. 5 chili don't come easy. Don't get me wrong, this is the hardtail for (Most) females looking for the right fit. We looked at Trek but it doesn't come close to this beauty. Minus 1 value chilli for having Deore components on a $1300 bike. Minus 1 chilli overall for not thinking the fork spring through and for only having a 1 year frame warranty. Email with questions. Ask wife if you want to ride it though!!

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Purchased At:   Cartecay Bikes (Ellijay, GA)

Similar Products Used:   Wife also has 30 pound ill fitting Navarro taken from some home eviction. No you can't have it back.

Bike Setup:   X-Kit....Judy SL, Avid V brakes, Deore cranks & shifters, XT rear der, Rockshox seat post