Santa Cruz 2000 Chameleon X Hardtail Bike

Weight : 24 lbs MSRP : $1369.00

Mountain Mix, Judy Race

Submitted by Jason L a Weekend Warrior from Snellville, GA USA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Strengths:    The geometery on this bike is PERFECT. This is THE most balanced bicycle I have ever ridden. I will not EVER replace this bike unless it breakes. This bike climbs, decends, corners, jumps, spins... you name it, you can do it on this bike and do it well. I Purchased this bike in March and the rest of my bikes have been hanging in the garage as a result.

Weaknesses:    The frame tends to complicate chain-suck when chainrings are worn. The chain gets stuck between the chainring and frame and destroys the paint and peels off frame material. So keep those chainrings fresh and inspect frequently.

Bottom Line:
Great bike! Never to be replaced.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Reality Bikes

Bike Setup:   Marzocci Z1 5", Azonic 2" riser bars, XTR shifters and derailers, LX splinedrive cranks, Sun 36 hole Rhino lite rims on XT hubs, Thompson seatpost with Tioga multi control seat. XT V-brakes, Maxis Mofo XC tires.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, PA USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome geometry. Great climbing/descending ability. This bike can take what ever I can put it through! I have about 400 rough off road miles on it, and I just can't say enough about it. I tried many other bikes before purchasing, and the chameleon just fit me sooo well. I upgraded the fork to a Z2 ATOM-80--a perfect compliment to the bike's overall feel. I also ordered it with some other upgrades.

Weaknesses:    Long six-week wait.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Frame is very stiff and practically un-breakable. Stand up on it and you're out of the hole before yoiu know it. My friends love it too!

Favorite Trail:   Indian run

Purchased At:   Spokes bike shop-Hamburg PA

Similar Products Used:   Proflex, Haro

Submitted by William Frazier a Weekend Warrior from Alpine, UT

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2001

Strengths:    extremely strong, great rims, amazing downhill handling.

Weaknesses:    The bike comes with some hutchinson superlight tires that just don't agree with my riding style. The s are a piece of junk. They catch the chain and suck it up under the frame and scratch it. The grips twist and slide easily. Also no quick release seat post(pretty minor)

Bottom Line:
Like I said my only complaint is in the s, their Shimain Deore and the tend to suck the chain around into the frame, but keeping the front derailer well adjusted you can avoid it most of the time. I've replaced the grips with some of those lock jaw ones that clamp on.

This is an awesome bike for just about anything and anyone!
I guess that's why it's called the chameleon, it changes colors to fit what ever you're doing. It's great on downhills, and it's definitely strong enough for the Jumping and trials stuff that I've done on it. Cross-Country it's awesome as well! The Azonic that I've tried is the only bike that would compare. but for $1100.00 the Santa Cruiz Chameleon is definitely a winner!

Favorite Trail:   Anything fast windy and downhill.

Purchased At:   The Bike Peddeler

Similar Products Used:   Klien Racing, Proflex Beast, Treck 8000, Santa Cruiz Superlight, Azonic.

Bike Setup:   XT rear derailer, LX hubs, All other components Shimano Deore. Rock shox Judy SC front fork, Tried True Rims

Submitted by Scott Frazier a Cross Country Rider from Alpine, UT

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Great geometry gives superb handling on tight stuff.

Bottom Line:
I ride a SantaCruz Superlight (full suspension), but am reviewing my son's Chameleon.

The Chameleon is a superb bike. Santa Cruz has got the geometry dialed in perfectly for a bike that handles superbly. On the tight, curvy single track or the technical slickrock this is truly a superior bike.

The Chameleon feels handles like a Porche or Ferarri, and even for an old guy like me this is a great feeling.

I'd highly recommend the Chameleon to anyone under about 25 years old. For an older guy it is fun to ride once in a while, but the Superlight is preferable overall.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa, UT

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight (full suspension)

Bike Setup:   2001 model

Submitted by Geof Harries a Cross Country Rider from Whitehorse, Yukon

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Strengths:    super strong frame, overbuilt and stiff
kawasaki green (dope!)
quick, responsive geometry

Bottom Line:
The Chameleon is a like an overgrown Chute or a BMX cruiser. I stand at 6'3" so the 19" Kona was a little short in the seat tube for me last season. The XL (20") Chameleon fits me like a dream with a 120mm stem.

This bike loves to jump, sprint and rail through corners. Like I said, an old tall man's BMX bike.

I still use it for occasional XC racing and although the overall bike weight is heavy (27 lbs.?) it climbs very well and lets you get on top of the big gears easily. Descending can be a little rough, but hey, you won't break it! That's all that matters to me.

Overall, well-designed, well-built and a lot of fun to ride. If you are looking for a quick, responsive bike that can take a lot of abuse, the Chameleon is your new friend.

Favorite Trail:   anything north of 60

Similar Products Used:   Kona Chute, Rocky Mountain Blizzard, Kona Stinky, Santa Cruz Heckler, KHS Team

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Judy Race, all Shimano LX gruppo, Avid brakes, Cane Creek headset, Rhyno Lite rims, Tioga Factory XC tires, Core Rat pad kit