Rocky Mountain 2001 Reaper Hardtail Bike

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Chester, SC.

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Nimble, well balanced.

Weaknesses:    Still no real weaknesses, the R.M. stickers could be a little more durable, though. Maybe decals under the clear coat, instead of stickers on top of everything?

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up on the earlier review I made shortly after putting this monster together. Still runs great! hasn't let me down, either in performance nor it's "ability to take it". Got a chance to run it in the Blue Ridge, and it handles the rocky stuff as well as it does the roots. Does good in mud, too, although I suspect that's more the Mobster tires than anything mechanical about the bike.

I think I'll keep it! :-3)))

Favorite Trail:   Rennisance Park, just plain fun!

Purchased At:   College Cycles, Rock Hill

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Sierra (the original, not the Pacific Cycle version), Peugeot Orient Express

Bike Setup:   Same as before, except I got some Maxxis Minions for the mountains (still use the Mobsters for the Piedmont)

Submitted by J Prime a Downhiller from Squamish BC

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs well, Desends well

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have hucked this bike pretty good, and it is still somehow alive. I think I am going to throw on a dual crown fork and some new components and ride it til it breaks.
I may never move to a dually. Hardtail pride!

Favorite Trail:   2 sheiks

Purchased At:   Blacks Cycles

Similar Products Used:   nil

Bike Setup:   2.6 Nokians (barely fit in there). Threw on a rock ring. Switched to Hayes rear after breaking Magura. Matrix stem.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Chester, South Carolina

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2004

Strengths:    Light, nimble, and well balanced. Especially compared to the Urban Assault Vehicle it replaced!

Weaknesses:    None that I've come up against yet.

Bottom Line:
Bought this to replace the Sierra "SUV" I had been using mostly for commuting, and some off road for about 14 years. Didn't neet a bike to commute anymore so went looking for a REAL mountain bike this time.

Robert at C.C. found the frame for me, then we went crazy finding deals to dress it up. Mostly discontinued and closeout stuff, all new though. And high quality! Stayed with the saddle, pedals, shifters and brakes from the old machine because I liked them. I miss my BioPace though (Don't get me started!).

Haven't ridden it much off road yet, the bike only has 400 miles total on it. Experienced none of the rear dropout problems others have mentioned yet (Knock! Knock!). Handles great! The tighter geometry takes getting used to, though. I have to lean further forward on steep climbs to keep the front from floating, and my old method of lifting the front wheel up over osbstacles and "bulldozing" the rear is no longer necessary thanks to the tight wheelbase and much lighter weight. I can "hop" this bike with little trouble. I could never get the rear wheel of my other "ATB's" off the ground. It also takes the tight turns and narrow passages of these Carolina trails much better. I used to live in "El Lay" (very few trees).

Am I being a bit too laudlin? Maybe. But I never had anything this GOOD before. When I get better, and better aquainted with the bike, THEN I'll come back and give a more "experienced" review. For now, I'm on a Rocky Mountain High!

Favorite Trail:   Leroy-Springs loop (Untill I find some up in the REAL mountains, that is!)

Purchased At:   College Cycles, Rock hill SC.

Similar Products Used:   Peugeout Orient express (bought for commuting), Schwinn Sierra (Commute/off road)

Bike Setup:   RockShok Air Judy SL forks, Mavic CrossRoad wheels, KOOKA XC cranks/RaceFace rings//M424 pedals, Hayes HMX-1 Disc's/Delta bar-end levers, Sh. XT Transmission (7 Sp.), and a Brooks Champion Flyer sprung saddle (I like some comfort!) And a drop dead gorgeous Carolina candy apple blue paint job.

Submitted by "Fast Bacon" Mojo a Downhiller from Whistler - Ya, baby, Whistler BC.

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Strengths:    Bomber frame - Easton RAD is so key. Good head tube size for big forks. Lightweight yet bomber.

Weaknesses:    Stock componentry, but hey, for this price point, ya can't beat it...

Bottom Line:
Well, having bought this bike in the middle of winter, it's pretty premature to say - however, riding it around the living room and down the stairs has proven quite entertaining. My other bike is a RM7 beast, weighing in at 55 pounds, so coming to a bike nearly half its weight is a nice surprise. I wanted a bike I could "free ride" on, as opposed to the 7 which has been altered into a thoroughbred DH bike only (beast...I mean it). Rocky has always been my main company - they rock...

I love this bike and can't wait to ride it as soon as the weather cooperates....

Cheers,
FBM

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere funky!!

Purchased At:   Cove - only the best will do...

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list...

Bike Setup:   2001 Reaper w/ 2002 Jr.T 7" travel forks, RaceFace XY seatpost, Berserker Ti saddle, rest is stock.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Lansdowne Ontario

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Strengths:    It's a beefy mamma jamma that feels super solid. Bomber is beautiful and the brakes feel wonderful. Good for anyone who loves to go big, or those who wish they could, and want to look like they do.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat post bent immediately cause I'm big boned'ed and Race Face relpaced it. Bottle cage bolts came loose, but my shop fixed that for me.

Bottom Line:
Get it. It's a big burly monster that is able to plough through the most impenetrable of jungles, and fly recklessly, with no regard for its own safety, off of cliffs several inches high, (limited only by my personal cowardess, the bike is very brave) yet gentle enough to pick its way through a flock of baby bunny rabbits without disturbing a single hair on their fluffy little bums. If you get it, you'll live happily ever after.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Price Paid:    $1936.00

Purchased At:   T.I. Cycle in Gananoque

Similar Products Used:   1989 Canadian Tire Supercycle, 21 speed "Mountain Bike" with Shimano Indexed Shifting system

Bike Setup:   All stock but the replaced seat post and Shimano DX SPD platforms (aaalll right)

Submitted by Andrew D a Downhiller from Richmond BC CANADAA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Strengths:    everything... frame is beutiful... i got a custom rocky mtn paint job on it.... (flames baby).... super strong frame... ive gone big on it.... north shore and all... beutiful bike

Weaknesses:    nothin.... didnt like any of the sock components... mines a monster

Bottom Line:
buy canadian.... (damn yanks, all wannabe versions)

rocky mountain above all... exsept my norco shore.... beutiful bike... but for a bike like the reaper... nothing comes close...... o and to any one that has broken this bike .......... ever herd of a TRANY!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   a line (whistler dh)

Purchased At:   deep cove bike shop

Similar Products Used:   brodie hole shot (demoed it... it sucks royaly)... torrent, ruckus

Bike Setup:   6" super t (sumtimes i throw my shiver on), hayes 8" front 6" rear, double wide rims, maxxis mobsters, race face isis north shore, sram 9.0 all over, funn sofa seat, funn fat boy slim and henchman stem

Submitted by RM Fusion a Downhiller from Kamloops BC Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Ok those guys up there who say it breaks above the disc mount on the back are probably running 8" rotors... it puts a hell of alot more stress on a frame than a 6".. A local rider rides his hard as hell with a Monster T on the front and has had -no- problems. Hahaha I bet the one guy probably only broke it once and was so pissed off he decided to say that he broke it over and over. Chump.

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from Summerland B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Strengths:    It looks cool.

Weaknesses:    It's not cool. The frame is very poorly designed.

Bottom Line:
Rocky Mountain didn't spend enough time designing this frame. It's not nearly strong enough for anything. If your looking for a good freeride hardtail frame, try a Holeshot. The Reaper frame breaks in the same place every time. The rear triangle snaps just above the disk brake mount.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Similar Products Used:   Holeshot, Torrent

Bike Setup:   Hayes, North Shore Cranks.

Submitted by Kelsey a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna BC

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    Nice marzocchi shocks.

Weaknesses:    Read my comments. This bike sucks a big fat hairy one.

Bottom Line:
I was loving this bike for about, ummm, let's see... About 10 minutes? I wasted way too much money on this Rocky Mountain POS. I have broken the frame in the same spot 3 times, the rear triangle. It takes them forever to replace the frame. Even though RM does have a good warrenty on these bikes, it's not worth it, because your not riding your bike most of the time! I no longer trust anything from Rocky Mountain. Buy a Head bike and you'll have less problems.

Similar Products Used:   Brodie Holeshot (I wish I had bought it)

Bike Setup:   Stock, bought a new wheelset though.

Submitted by Lee Neville from Lethbridge

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2001

Strengths:    Canadian made, fork, rims, frame

Weaknesses:    stock seat post bent 2nd ride, my rear brake never worked right

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to the review I wrote in the 2000 section. This is still an incredible bike. Raceface warranteed post but I replaced it, I weigh 240 pounds so I needed something super strong. I have put a lot of miles (km's actually) on my bike and it still rocks. Its super stiff, compliant, responsive. The forks are the best. The rims are super tough. My rear brake bonked so magura sent a new caliper and it worked okay for a month and then lost all power, bled many many times but simply stopped working. Funny cause the front works excellent so Im not going to knock Magura. Im not a free rider, I ride this bike cross country with the odd jaunt to the Rocky's. I bought it mainly cause Im tall and weigh a lot and I need something that will hold up, this bike is it. Rocky customer service is absolutely top notch in case you were wondering. Its kinda expensive but I have no regrets, its a quality product.

Bike Setup:   Thomson seat post and stem. XT rear brake, swapped tires for mythos, needed a longer bar