Rocky Mountain 2001 Oxygen Race Hardtail Bike

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Lou from NY

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent workmanship in frame build. Easton tubing & frame geometry. Stock Marzocchi shock/RaceFace components. Holographic black powdercoat paint job is way cool (when its clean).

Weaknesses:    Stock set-up is a little heavy for something labeled as a "race" series bike, but the components are all durable, dependable, & stack up much better than the "house" components on similarly priced production bikes.

Bottom Line:
This was my first "real" MTBike. I have no regrets, as this was worth every penny. Rocky has an excellent reputation for building quality bikes, but seeing (riding) is believeing. The component selection, especially the Marz. fork, is far and above over other production bikes in this price category. This bike takes the up & the down, and comes back begging for more. As stated above, the stock set-up may be a bit heavy for the terminally weight-conscious (25+lbs), but the durability of the components more than makes up for a couple of extra grams here & there (hey, if I were racing pro, I'd be sponsored, would realize the performance difference a few grams makes & could afford to replace lighter parts as they wear). As is, I have ridden this bike pretty aggressively over some rough terrain and have no complaints about weight holding me back, or light parts breaking from use. If you have the extra cash to invest though, I see where this could make an awesome racing steed spec'd out w/ a lighter wheelset & minor additional upgrades.

Five value chilis for the spec you get for the $$$.
Five overall chilis for the ride quality and durability for a non-custom hardtail. Ride this bike. Feel the love.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton Alu flat bar.

Submitted by dylan a Racer from grand junction, co, usa

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Strengths:    This bike rocks. It super fast uphill and sticks like rails on the corners. On steep descents just lay of the back of the seat and bomb.

Weaknesses:    The seat sucks for bumpy terrain. I have tried three different ones and finally got a wtb. Now my bike rocks again. The wheelset has come out of true a couple of times but 100 miles a week will do that. The peddles as well but that was expected.

Bottom Line:
It is a sweet ride. It gets me to the top of the hill first evrytime. I love it. I just wish that rocky freeride bikes came in smalls. Oh well

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   the cycle company, ny

Similar Products Used:   Caloi pro, specialized rock hopper

Bike Setup:   Stock except for irc mythos 1.9 tires, use suspension seatpost and seat.

Submitted by Brain a Weekend Warrior from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2002

Strengths:    Its all good quality. The Z2 is outstanding and I love the XTR drivetrain and Raceface Prodigy stem, crank,and seatpost. The frame is super good and "ultralite". I love this bike

Weaknesses:    The handlebars(housebrand), hubs also RM, and I changed the brakes to discs and i am now thinking of upgrading to a better wheelset as the 221 Wheeltech has to be trued oftern now.

Bottom Line:
I really am impressed with this bike. If you ride mostly XC but like to punish it a little this is the bike. The Bomber works good after a couple of rides. I love this bike. Ive raced it a few times in thee summer and mostly just ride some singletrack and stuff. I upgraded my brakes to disc(ive always wanted discs and they work great) and ive changed the LX front derailleur to XTR. The only complaint is the 221 wheels. They work real good for a while but they start to piss u off when u always have to fix them. Although I guess i ve been asking for it with my wreckless riding style. Ive been saving up a little and am probably going to get a Stinky DE-LUX or something because i luv to freeride aswell. All in all this is a really really good mid level XC mountain bike.It is pretty sturdy except the wheels and is a heck of a deal! If u like jumping and small drops u might want to consider something else though as this bikes wheels hate that stuff. get it if u love singletrack and ride fairly aggressive! It should ge 5 if it had discs and a better wheelset but it would be cruel to give it any less than a 4 because it is an awesome value and XC bike. If u have money get better wheels first then discs as they r more important. I want to give it a 3 because i hate the wheels but i ride like an ass so it gets a 4

Favorite Trail:   my handbuilt techy

Purchased At:   my local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   kona Muni-Mula, and I used to ride a Cindercone

Bike Setup:   RaceFace crank, stem, seatpost, Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Atom Sport Air fork, Deore and Deore LX disc hubs with Avid mechanicals, easton CT-2 Monkeybar riserbar etc...

Submitted by Ade Cole a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Strengths:    hand made in Canada, components, looks

Weaknesses:    stock saddle leaves something to be desired

Bottom Line:
This is my first "real" mountain bike. I bought it slightly used- hence the price. It's a beauty. Buy a quality Rocky Mountain bike if you have got the money. Easton UltraLite frame can't be beat. Marzocchi Z2 Atom air front fork seems up to the task. I have only been out three times this year as the snow is just melting now, but I think I have a great season ahead of me.

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycle

Bike Setup:   stock with XTR rear derailleur, Time ATAC clipless pedals, RaceFace Prodigy stem and seatpost, Continental Vertical Pro tires, SRAM 7.0 v-brakes

Submitted by Steve from Canada

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Strengths:    Awesome Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Fork, RaceFace crank, Easton HBO Ultralite Taperwall frame, XTR

Weaknesses:    Rocky Mountain Hubs really suck, the LX levers i replaced because they felt weird, the brakes I replaced because I had a set of Avid Single Digit 20'S kickin around. Also replaced the RM riser bar with a Eaton Monkey Lite.

Bottom Line:
I chose this bike because I wanted a light, efficient XC hardtail I could race and do little drops and light jumps with. I love it because it fits this category perfectly. I race it and beat it up a little. I've owned it for almost 9 monthes now and have had no real problems with it. If you want a good XC hardtail that can take a fair share of the beats I'd definitely suggest this Oxygen race.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to write

Purchased At:   my lbs

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500, Rocky Mountain Spice

Bike Setup:   stock except for Monkey Lite handlebar, XT levers and Avid Single Digit 20 brakes

Submitted by Brentwood a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2001

Strengths:    Easton tubing is very light and not too stiff; Geometry is awesome; Climbs like the space shuttle; Great paint job

Bottom Line:
This is the best aluminum frame on the market without a doubt. I tried them all: Klein, Schwinn, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Giant. The geometry and weight are perfect for riding tight single track and powering up steep climbs. Because of the tapered Easton tubing, the ride is far less jarring than the typical double-butted alumimum frames. If you primarily ride moutain single track like I do, this bike is hard to beat.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Singletrack Factory, Denver, CO

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M-4 Pro; Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by George Morrell a Racer from South Portland

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    The Marzocchi Bomber shock Rocks. The Easton Ultralite frame is tough, not to mention the wicked cool paint job. the bike comes with rally good components like XTR rear deraileur, race face crank. the bike on the trail is smooth, tight on the single tracks, bombs down the hills, and floats over roots and rocks.

Weaknesses:    Rocky mountain hubs. I had problems with my rear hub. I upgraded to XTR and now it's sweat.

Bottom Line:
I feel the Oxygen Race is a really sweat hardtail. Rocky mtn. has a great repuation for building quality bikes and it shows. I would recomend the bike to anybody. the frame is flawless. They took some time to think out the compents that go with it and the Bomber, XTR, SRAM, and Race Face how could you go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Camden Snow bowl