Rocky Mountain 2001 Fusion Hardtail Bike

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Jeff Brooks a Weekend Warrior from Mackenzie B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Very strong frame, this little f****r can take repeated 10 foot flat landings (pending on wheels).

Weaknesses:    The components are downright c**p however they did take alot of abuse, especially because it is an XC bike and i used it in one XC race other thatn that...freeride, dual, dirtjumping and just avout every thing other than cross country.

Bottom Line:
For how much i used this bike and the abuse i put it through and the price i paid, this bike kicks a** AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE.

Favorite Trail:   Just huckin' around anywhere

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Devinci Hucker, Rocky Mtn Vapor, Trek 4500, Trek Single Track ect.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shock Jett's(low performanvce but very strong...have to respect that with the s**t i've put them things through). Deore derrailours, Continental pro com 2.25 kevlar rear tire on cr18 rim/ panaracer psyco II 2.25 front tire on bontrager black rim w/ lx hubs.

Submitted by Snowbird a Cross Country Rider from Ipswich, MA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Nice Ride, good beginner bike, good weight.

Weaknesses:    Low-end components don't stand up. Have replace entire drivetrain, constantly breaking spokes and retruing the wheels. Derailer acted like it was tin foil. Tires could be a bit more agressive. Seat is hard... Shocks are only ok.

Bottom Line:
Great for a beginner bike, but also check out similar Gary Fischer bikes. This is a great bike, but I question if having anything better than say a Gary Fischer Marlin in components, etc. This bike just happened to fit me at the time...and I was willing to pay the price. :)

Not great if you plan to ride multiple times a week. I have probably done over 1000 miles on this bike in the year I have had it, including 550+ this year, so it's probably held up fairly well under my 230 lb load. If you are looking to ride quite a bit, save up and get the higher end components, as they will holdup better.

I seem to endo quite a bit off this bike, but that may be just me - though it could have something to do with the particular frame telemetry... I have managed to wear out the entire drive train in less than a year of riding. Shifting has always been suspect on this bike - and still is.

The bike has crappy control if the shocks are set at anything but the stiffest setting...at which point they seem to be of little help offsetting the trail vibration from roots, rocks and holes. Once again, if you are planning to ride quite a bit of rough stuff, go up-market and get better components.
The real bottom line - this is an awesome bike for a beginner, or someone that doesn't plan to ride too much. If you ride a lot and/or do rougher trails, and/or weigh 190+, you may want something with a better drive train, shocks, and rims. Also, an upgrade in tires worked magic for my hill climbing.

Purchased At:   LBS in Newbury, MA

Similar Products Used:   Various Treks and Gary Fischer.

Bike Setup:   Now have upgraded and replaced worn out (and fractured) drive train components, upgraded to wider - more aggressive tires for climbing.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Ladysmith B.C.

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Strengths:    Very nice feeling and lightwieght frame.
Great for Xcountry and for peoople new into Xc riding.

Weaknesses:    a little low on deralliurs and rims r not so good

Bottom Line:
This bike is the best bike you can get for a begginer biker and is great value for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Dumont

Purchased At:   Pacific Rim

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon and Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   Rhyno lite rims, alivio r/d acera f/d, rock shox Jetts

Submitted by maraud from mississauga

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Durable, well-made bike... I had problems with the rims once, brought it back to the shop, they fixed the rims, then rode hard... weird, because now I'm riding harder and the rims put up with it... hmmm. Great bike, my first real MB, just got into it earlier this year, and I can't seem to stop... the tires are great in muddy situations. Although the components are lower end, I haven't had any problems with them. I bring the bike in for regular tune-ups...

Weaknesses:    - seat's hard as hell, pushed my tail-bone in;
- can't really comment on the forks, haven't tried anything else, sure I get mad bounce on a rocky down-hill;
- the cages on the pedals... not that bad, kept them on for the longest time before I got clipless;
- shifters seem a little hokey, I saw the same ones on bikes at Costco... oh, well;
- the seat, oh yeah, I said that already, but my ass really did hurt from riding on it;

Bottom Line:
Sweet, sweet bike. Couldn't have asked for a better bike in that price-range. I just started riding this year and it seemed like the perfect bike... it has put with a lot of riding and I haven't had any problems. Would highly recommend it to anyone getting into MBing. I'm eyeing the Oxygen Race for my next purchase, but right now I'll just upgrade a few parts.

If you're starting out, get this bike. I've briefly tried Trek and Specialized, but that was around a parking lot and you can't judge anything on that.

Purchased At:   Skiis & Biikes, Mississauga

Bike Setup:   All stock except for the pedals, Shimano 536 and a gel seat (you might have guessed that one)

Submitted by Mike Metelnick a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    Very light, Frame feels great.

Weaknesses:    Very Weak Rims. Shocks are probably not to good for real mountain riding, but fine for casual use.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike. Feels great, very light and fast, good for road riding. All I ride are streets, but I don't like road bikes, so this was perfect. Good price. Yeah.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   West Point Cycles

Similar Products Used:   brodie alpha, kona blast.

Bike Setup:   stock (rock shox jett, shimano Acera), got lower handlebar stem. Removed foot straps!

Submitted by Iron Mike a Weekend Warrior from Bronx, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    Light and responsive. Frame and components have withstood the beating I have given them thus far.

Weaknesses:    None yet. I think I may have to upgrade the rims at some point.

Bottom Line:
Awesome Bike. I don't ride as much as I want to, but when I do I like to ride hard. My fusion has no problems accomodating me. I recommend this bike to anyone who wants a high quality XC bike for under $1000.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point, New York

Purchased At:   High Caliper, White Plains, New York

Similar Products Used:   Raliegh M80, Several GTs

Bike Setup:   Rock shocks "Jett", everything else shimano.

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, Calif.

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2001

Strengths:    The bike is light and agile. It also has good balance when ridden.

Weaknesses:    The seat bites! I don't think they could have found anything harder if they tried.

Bottom Line:
In this price range I also looked at the Gary Fisher "Tassajara". I test rode both bikes. The Rocky Mountain was by far the better bike. The Fusion just had a better feel to it. The Tassajara felt a little akward. I don't think you can beat the Fusion for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Granite Bay

Purchased At:   River Rat Mountain Bike, Fair Oaks, Ca.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shocks "JET", Shimano all the way around.

Submitted by Luke a Cross Country Rider from Port Mcneill BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2001

Strengths:    It is a really good and lightweight XC bike. I bought it with the rockshox but they sucked so i but a 2000 bomber Z3 M80 fork on it.

Weaknesses:    Thoses crappy rims. I spanked them beyond repair so i got some Rhyno lites and Kenda Kinetics tires.

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet bike for XC and Urban Assault. If you get one, get some different and better rims than those mavic pieces of crap.

Favorite Trail:   Ragers Rush