Rocky Mountain 1999 Vapor Hardtail Bike

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

1999 Rocky Mountain Vapor, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-5, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by James Teer a Weekend Warrior from Mackenzie, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Strengths:    Strong frame with decent components, Canadian made, light.

Weaknesses:    Most parts have been replaced(used for jumping,freeriding ment
for xc), Z5 had too little travel and isn't very responsive

Bottom Line:
The frame is tough! It's a xc frame that has taken alot of
bulls**t from my riding and besides the fact that some parts have been replaced with beefier ones is nothing considering I did not use this bike for its intended purpose(and the parts lasted longer than expected).

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle and Ski

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mtn. Fusion, Trek 4500/4900, Specialzied Rockhopper
Kona Blast

Bike Setup:   2001 Z1 drop-offs, ryno lite rear rim with maxxis mobster, kona
k-9 bash guard, rest is stock

Submitted by John Goluza a Cross Country Rider from Victoria BC Canada

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2002

Strengths:    Sweet shocks some marazocchis, lx front derailer and xt back got me through thick and thin.

Weaknesses:    The stem was a little weak always creaked when i was accelerating had to get it repaired.

Bottom Line:
I recommend this bike for a semi beginner rider someone that wants a bike and a little more.

Favorite Trail:   Cross Country trail

Purchased At:   Riders Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Brodie evolution.

Bike Setup:   Rapid fire sucks... had to switch to grip shift... change lx cranks to race face.

Submitted by grayson chobi from mars

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2002

Strengths:    everything except headset

Weaknesses:    headset richy was very weak broke on me in first week and the forks could be better (judy xc) grip shift not rapid fire!!!! nothing else sucks

Bottom Line:
good bike no waitr great bike i luve it so much i ride it everyday doing drops mostly and ripping up the trails forks shold be better but im going to upgrade soon anywayz so every one else said aboot the spelling of vapour i dont care aboot spelling as long as it hammers the trials. i find this bike has a good position for climing hills which i luve cause once your at the top you get to come down. this bike takes a beating well and i recomend getting it for the price. especialy since you can xc downhill and freeride with it well im off to bike ~!!!!!!!!!!!!~

Favorite Trail:   every where

Purchased At:   the bike shop calgary ab

Similar Products Used:   mongoosepro garyfisher norco kona schwinn jamis k2 brodie oh ya and arashi

Bike Setup:   mine came with easton handbuilt frame with rockshox judy xc (gonna replace soon) lx front derailer sram 9.0 rear derailer. sram 7.0 brakes richey clipples pedals

Submitted by Troy a Weekend Warrior from Westminster, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2002

Strengths:    Frame Design and Geometry. Great Hand Built Fram for little money.

Weaknesses:    Tires. Cranks (upgraded to Specialized Strongarms on the shop floor and then recently upgraded to Race Face). Cheap saddle. Seals on the Z5 need to be replaced every year.

Bottom Line:
The best investment I have made thus far! This bike handles and rides awesome. The frame is why I bought it and every little upgrade has made this bike better and better. I will never buy another hardtail!!!!

Favorite Trail:   I am new here!

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop (Calgary, AB)

Similar Products Used:   Lots.....

Bike Setup:   XT Derailleurs & Shifters. SRAM 7.0 Brakes. STX-RC Hubs. Sun CR-18 Rims. Race Face Rings and Turbine Cranks. Race Face ISIS BB. Race Face Seatpost.

Submitted by RockyMountainRider a Weekend Warrior from N\A

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Great frame, nice brakes, alright beginer shocks, Tires, derailers, almost everything.

Weaknesses:    stock pedals, cr18 rear rim(fine in front), shocks are for beginers

Bottom Line:
This bike is great. Its been through hard hits but other than the stock rear rim everything has held up since I bought it in '99. The Z5 Bombers gave out on me but the new shocks are the best I have ever ridden with. I've tried my friends bikes but they all force you to sit to far ahead in the saddle so I think I'll keep my bike for awhile to come. Although it was made for XC racing, the 1999 Vapor is great for people who like to freeride but don't want/0r are able to buy a full suspension. Just a word of advice if you are going to use it for any serious freeriding, get longer shocks.

Favorite Trail:   Single Tracks and Dropoffs

Purchased At:   Olympia Cycle and Ski Prince George

Trek 6000, 6500, RockyMountain Fusion, Hammer race, Kona
Blast,Cannondale M800, Nishiki MX800

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to 2001 Marzochi Bomber Z1 Dropoffs(Nice Shocks!!!), Changed Stock pedals to Wellgo clipless when purchased, new Shimano XT rear derailer, Sun Rim Rhynolite in the rear(CR18 couldn't take it), THE DH front fender

Submitted by Sean Peet a Cross Country Rider from Fruitvale - Canada

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2001

Strengths:    The frame - the compents - stem - handle bars - brakes

Weaknesses:    The shocks are good for begginers, but....... I upgraded to Z1s!!!!! The tires.

Bottom Line:
I use this baby in races placeing in to 3, i ride it like a RM9 and it takes it well, it never gives out on me, other that flats, This is my freeride-road-XC bike, Its great!!!1

Favorite Trail:   rubber head

Purchased At:   gerick cycle

Similar Products Used:   Norcos - Rockymt spice - others.......

Bike Setup:   upgraded seat - Marrzocchi 1998 Z1 Bam - New deraler

Submitted by bRETT a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Strengths:    Kick-ass frame, Shock

Weaknesses:    lame cranks (but who's complaining for that price)

Bottom Line:
This is my second review for the bike. After over 3000Kms both on and off BC trails, I have to upgrade my perception of this bike from good to great.

It's been with me on endless commutes and through some of the more technical trails in the Vancouver area all I have is praise.

This was my first real mountain bike and it grew with me a lot longer than I expected. I still ride it for XC and ocasionally on some technical descents. I love this bike!

After 3000Kms all I've had to replace are worn out parts(tires, seat, etc.)

This bike has exceeded my expectations and continues to do so with every ride.

Favorite Trail:   anything steep and technical

Purchased At:   Simon's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   stock plus some SPDs

Submitted by Duncan a Weekend Warrior from Edinburgh, Scotland

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    The frame is a work of art, and at the price i paid for it you simply cant get better, the parts are cheap so you can break them and replace them to your hearts/wallets content

Weaknesses:    The forks are a bit crap, and I'd change the brake levers, and the pedals (obviously)

Bottom Line:
I've taken this frame off 6 feet drops, and down the walls of quarrys and its still in one piece thats how good it is.

Favorite Trail:   The quarry

Purchased At:   Shop in calgary

Similar Products Used:   Lots of XC style hardtails

Bike Setup:   Marzzochi Jr T's, magura rimmys, fat tyres, DMR V 12's, a short stem, apart from that its all original.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2000

Strengths:    EASTON handbuilt in BC frame
Marzocchi Z5
decent components

Weaknesses:    CR18 rims
Sad michelins

Bottom Line:
A first class machine for about a grand CDN. It is the cheapest handbuilt frame in the Rocky lineup and it appears the parts is where they saved the coin. The fork is spot on and with good adjustability using the standard Schrader valves to adjust the air in each fork leg. I didn't like the riser "freeride-type" setup that came stock as I use this bike to commute and hit the trails so the XC setup suits me better. That being said the frame is light and the parts are nothing to scoff at. The XT rear der is overkill here and the money should have been better spent specing better components elswhere on the bike. The CR18 rims that came stock both had bad seams and were sent back under warranty. Waited FOREVER and so I took the wheels off my other bike and got the shop to build up a set of Rhyno Lites. I digress. I did a lot of research before I bought this bike and I just couldn't find a handbuilt Easton frame with a better parts spec for the money. Rocky should know better than to spell Vapour incorrectly but the finish is sweet and I was fortunate enough to get the blue paint with red decals instead of the silver version they had speced originally. All that is missing is a set of red RaceFace powdercoat cranks and the package will be perfect. Very happy and the bike comes highly recommended.

Similar Products Used:   RM Element Race
Giant Rincon
KONA Manomano

Bike Setup:   The bike came upgraded with SRAM 7.0 (vice no-name) brakes and an XT (vice LX) rear derailleur.
XC setup with a flat bar and stem.
SRAM 7.0 levers
Ritchey post, 130 mm stem and pedals
Conti Traction Pros

Submitted by Mike Beam a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1999

Strengths:
Good looking, well built frame,
Marzocchi Shocks,
Something Different from everyone else,
Good starter set of components

Weaknesses:
None come to mind

Bottom Line:
Damn fine bike. The components aren't the best, but i prefer that since i have room to customize to my liking. Put Ritchey Mt. Pro clipless pedals on, and a race face crankset. Can take a beating and be fine with the good handbuilt Al frame. i also like the compliments i get for it.

City Park

6 months

Trek 850

Had a trek 850 as my first MTB. Got stolen 2 weeks after I upgraded to a Marzocchi z2 Bomber.

Submitted by bRETT a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1999

Strengths:
A fantastic starter bike. Perfect for commuing during the week, but more than capable of handling anything you take it into on the weekends.hand built aluminum frame

Weaknesses:
I don't really like the aesthetic look of the bike, but I love that my biggest complaint is something so superficial. I actually get a lot of compliments about how 'nice looking' it is, so I guess I'm in the minority.The spelling of Vapour is also wrong, using the dumbed-down American spelling instead of the International and correct version. Bad form for a Canadian company.

Bottom Line:
This is the Bike that you can't beat for the price. Rocky Mountain has been very responsive in my dealings with them (except in their reluctance to use the letter U) and after about 500km on the VapoUr, both on and off road, I have yet to find ant memorable shortcomings.

anything wet

3 months

similar bikes from Rocky Mountain, Kona, and GT.

stock setup and :
XT rear
Shimano Downhill SPDs
a few stickers

Submitted by Teradactyl a Weekend Warrior from Bedrock, Texas

Date Reviewed: August 12, 1999

Strengths:
Great frame
Good shocks
Canadian Frame/Company
Reasonable price
Rides great
Good bike to work up with upgrades to components

Weaknesses:
I can't ride it often enough.

Bottom Line:
What a great bike. It can perform well beyond my capabilities and can handle anything I've put it up to. It comes set up nicely but since you're working with a great frame, good shocks and mediocre components it leaves you a lot of room for adding fancy stuff. Plus the initial price is reasonable.
I had to go out of my way to find a dealer in Texas. It was worth it. Phat Tire in Dallas is a great shop. They'll work with you and get you set up. www.phattire.com

Dinosaur Valley

3 months

Trek and Specialized w/ approx. equivalent components.

Added RF cranks and rings.
RF seatpost.
Straight bar w/ ends.

Submitted by JK a Cross-Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: August 2, 1999

Strengths:
Frame, Responsiveness,

Weaknesses:
lame-ass shock

Bottom Line:
Well enginnered frame.Thats this bikes greatest quality. If you buy a bike because it looks cool, then avoid this bike altogether, but if you care about getting a good deal on a hand made Canadian frame then this bike is a steal. The components are a little weak, but I got mine for $650 US. The front shock is a piece of flaming poop. I will be upgrading soon. The B5 air shock tends to leak about 5 minutes into a ride. Its almost dangerous.

Lynn Woods MDC

STX-RC/LX mix, Marzocchi Z5 Bomber
basically stock

Submitted by Randall Johnborough a Weekend Warrior from Lima, Peru

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1999

Strengths:
It has none.

Weaknesses:
Warranty (what warranty?)

Bottom Line:
Spent a tonne shipping this Citron back to Canada. Returned. Bent frame was my fault. I went over a curb.............?????????????

6 months