Research 1999 Dynamics Coyote Challenge S.E. Hardtail Bike

1999 Research Dynamics Coyote Challenge S.E., mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 180, 2.0" travel fork

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Strengths:    this bike got me places,terrific brakes

Weaknesses:    Cruising down a trial my gear suddenly pops out and i go flying forward and i wind up with 7 cuts. Also withing the first week the grip shifts stopped clicking and went totally limp when you switch gears. the chain will constantly pop off and the acera gears actually broke and it lost one of the wheels that the chain runs along... now im no bike mechanic but i dont think that is supposed to happen. Shimano is crap too bad its the microsoft of biking

Bottom Line:
this bike stinks more than the fat kid everyone makes fun of!

Favorite Trail:   Woods, dirt roads

Purchased At:   some uknowned bikeshop

Submitted by Brad Hardesty a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO.

Date Reviewed: August 10, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent overall appearance. Strong 4130 Moly frame with good quality welds. Quality wheels (Weinmann) with 14 gauge spokes. The bike was assembled with good quality components (Sun Race, Gripshift, Shimano, Kenda, RST, and Wellgo). The riser bars added a touch of comfort also. The price I paid ($204.99) was almost to good to be true!

Weaknesses:
The seat post was as cheap as it could be and still be called a seat post. It (the seat post) was also an unusual size (26.4mm). The seat post clamp is actually part of the seat post frame tube (the guide and the nut are welded to the frame). This feature puzzles me somewhat. I cannot imagine the weight savings being a factor on an entry level bike nor do I believe that this process would have saved any money on the manufacturing cost of the bike either. My guess is that if any part of the frame is prone to failure this area is it. However, this may be a good idea and I just don't know it. The pedals were as cheap as they could be and still be called pedals. The steer tube on the fork is only a 1 inch. This will somewhat limit ones options if he/she chooses to upgrade to a better fork in the future. (The 1 1/8 inch steer tube is rapidly becoming the standard).

Bottom Line:
This Research Dynamics Coyote Challenger SE is my first decent mountain bike. (I won't discuss any of the details concerning my previous department store mountain bike!) I really had my heart set on a Raleigh M50 for $319.99 and was literally moments away from buying the Raleigh when I stumbled across the RD Coyote Challenger SE on sale at a sporting goods store for $204.99. I noticed the quality of this bike (as well as the similarity to the Raleigh M5o) right off the bat and bought it without even as much as a test ride. (Even if the RD was not on sale I still would have paid the MSRP of $249.99). I then took the bike home, corrected the tire pressure, took a short ride and discovered that the bike was in 100% perfect operating condition and needed no adjustments whatsoever! What a bonus!After several weeks of riding the RD Challenger SE I took the $115 that I saved by NOT purchasing the Raleigh M50 (there was a $115 cost difference between the two bikes) and bought an inexpensive suspension seatpost with 1.75 of travel, a better set of pedals, bar ends, and a better quality stem with a removeable face plate. These simple modifications added to the overall quality of the bike and gave it a personal touch as well. Last month I traded the Gripshift shifter and brake lever assemblies even up for a set of Shimano EZ-Fire shifter/brake combo assemblies which in my opinion gave the bike better shifting performance. I really never could get the hang of gripshifting anyway and was often times inadvertently shifting gears while encountering rougher terraun. I am currently upgrading to a slightly better fork assembly (threadless of course). I am installing a Rock Shox Jett XC, a Ritchey Logic headset, and a Control Tech stem. The original RST 180 suspension fork is non-adjustable and can be quite bouncy on rough trails but is adequate for paved bike paths, improved dirt trails, small sized gravel trails, and simple singletrack woods riding.All in all this bike HAS TO BE ONE OF THE GREATEST ENTRY LEVEL MOUNTAIN BIKE VALUES OF ALL TIME! If you are in the market for an affordable mountain bike and are lucky enough to find one of these BUY IT FAST! The off the rack Research Dynamics Coyote Challenger SE does an excellent job of being an affordable and reliable quality entry level mountain bike. (I would definitely choose this RD Challenger SE over a Raleigh M50 any day of the week). This is a MUCH better bike than the Raleigh M50 and is AT LEAST $70 cheaper to boot. (Many of the parts are identical; wheels and shifters just to name a few). This bike has the two most important foundational ingredients, a good frame and a good set of wheels. It is also worthy of being upgraded should you decide that a more serious level of riding is in your future.Face it. An entry level bike is at best an entry level bike. There is no need in faulting an entry level bike at all as long as it serves the intended purpose of reliably helping the rider develop good riding skills. This bike will effectively do just that and is so entitled to a rating of 5 chillies.

Katy