Raleigh 2001 M80 Hardtail Bike

4.3/5 (23 Reviews)

Submitted by Vociferous a Cross Country Rider from Stoneham, MA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2010

Strengths:    Frame gives a feeling of confidence, while still being light. Vuelta VXC rims are very tough. Suspension seatpost is light and effective. WTB Velociraptor tires are awesome in mud and loose dirt, scree. Lava Blue color is attractive.

Weaknesses:    Shifting system needs adjustment frequently. Tektro brakes need adjustment more then they should.

Bottom Line:
I saw an Eldorado Gold 16" in the shop in Oct 01', but couldn't manage the half grand at the time. Come March of 2002, they still had a Lava Lamp Blue, so I grabbed it.
The bike has been both sturdy and light for me, and even the original Joytech hubs did their job well (will be upgrading front wheel to Mavic Crossride).
I'm hoping to keep the paint (decals) looking somewhat intact.
This is a great bike as long as you are not planning on winning any races. As far as the pedals go, I had no real problem with the stock ones (I upgraded to vintage Suntour Bearpaw). Regarding the seat.., go to a Serfas RX and with the suspension seatpost, you'll never feel another bump. The Magnum shocks can take jumping off a 12" curb at high speed if I keep them cleaned and oiled, so they are fine with me until I can upgrade to the Drake.

Favorite Trail:   Moose Run, Wellington State Park

Purchased At:   Harris Cyclery, Newt

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky Deluxe, Giant Acapulco, Bianchi Boardwalk.

Bike Setup:   Avenir Comfy road saddle. SRAM 5.0 brake calipers. Rear derailleur has MFD 7075 aluminum pulleys. Front derailleur is Suntour X-1 Bottom Pull.
Rear wheel is Forte Terramax w/ Forte 32H cartridge-bearing hub. Rocker titanium 60g skewers.
Handlebar grips Forte Diablo. IRC Mythos ll tires.

Submitted by he who is called "j" a Downhiller from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2003

Strengths:    Burly aluminum frame w/ smokin' geometry. It's a great compromise between a dirtjumper and an xc frame so it let's you do both very well. The welds on this puppy are sweeeet. It also came stock w/ LX parts all around. You can't beat that deal/value.

Weaknesses:    Not much that I can see, especially at the price I payed for it. I guess if I had to same something bad about it, I would have to point my finger at the low end Rock Shock Judys. It's got about 2.5' travel and it needs alot more.

Bottom Line:
No other bike has ever had me riding as much as this one does. Great on the uphills and even better on the downhill runs, jumps and even the skatepark. All the kids laugh until I pull some sick Xups and tables on their precious box jump. Eat my XC/DH dust...

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon, Boulder City

Purchased At:   Valencia Cyclery, San Francisco, CA

Similar Products Used:   Mostly BMX bikes. This is my first true MTB.

Bike Setup:   The frame was sanded and painted with a matte black finish. The wheels have been upgraded to XT hubs on Rhyno Lite rims. The stem has been replaced w/ a Primo BMX Stem and the hadlebars were replaced w/ an Azonix riser bar. Oh, and I swapped XT brakes in place of the LX.

Submitted by Jesse from Media, PA (USA)

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2002

Strengths:    6061 aluminum frame, Shimano Mega 9 setup, adjustable Manitou Magnum front suspension, 26 X 2.10 Mythos XC tires, Deore LX rear cogset, and Shimano crank.

Weaknesses:    Deore shifters, Pro Max v-brakes & brake levers, Deore front derailleur, Deore LX rear derailleur, toe clip pedals, standard bike seat.

Bottom Line:
Overall, this bike was a good value for the money, but most of the standard componentry did not hold up to rough riding. The front suspension, the crank, and the rear cogset are the only pieces left from when I bought the bike, as well as the handlebar stem, the handlebar, and the handlebar ends. I destroyed the standard rims in the first two months of ownership. I have not had to have the Femco rims trued since they were installed.

Purchased At:   Cycle Fit of Delaware County

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki Alien, Trek 850, Specialized Rockhopper.

Bike Setup:   Deore XT fr&rr derailleurs, Deore XT combo brake lever/shifters, XTR v-brakes, Femco heavy duty double walled disc brake-compatible rims, Selle San Marco Era racing seat, Icon clipless pedals.

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Graham, N. C. U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great price. Excellent gearing. Overall component selection above average. Super cool Eldorado gold paint.

Weaknesses:    Pedals must be replaced or at least stripped of the straps as soon as you buy it. Brakes stop the bike fine but the levers are junk. Judy TT undersprung for heavy riders. Suspention seatpost works loose and wobbles from side to side. Keep the collar tight and you won't have this problem.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike. No better deal going. Shimano 27 speed gearing. Sturdy double-wall wheels. WTB velociraptor tires. Stiff, strong, and light frame worthy of later upgrades. Overall, I don't think I could have made a better choice, at least not in this price range. Oh yeah, one of my friends liked mine so much, he bought a 2002. We'll give a review of it later.

Favorite Trail:   The ones I haven't ridden. (YET)

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski 88

Similar Products Used:   This is my first suspention bike.

Bike Setup:   No major changes yet, although I have changed the pedals, brake levers, have removed the bar ends, and I have installed an EKO total air upgrade in the fork. I HIGHLY recommend this as a cheap alternative to a new fork.

Submitted by Michelle a Weekend Warrior from somewhere, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Strengths:    Nice feel to the frame, bar ends, susp. seatpost, better components than the competition and more gears

Bottom Line:
The top of this page says the bike is Chromoly! Wrong!! 6061 oversized aluminum. AWESOME BIKE! VERY comfortable, may not be the lightest out there but she handles everything with grace, dignity and SPEED! My boyfriend who is 180lbs. actually likes the feel of this bike better than his Stumpjumper pro and GT team zaskar!! (so he tells me)

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on!!

Purchased At:   Century cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hardrock

Bike Setup:   16" Eldorado gold frame w/Chris King headset (pink), Avid Arch Supreme brakes, Avid Ultimate L (purple levers), Shimano carbon brake boosters F&R, LX splined crank, Shimano XTR chain, Time atac pedals, Manitou Magnum fork (black), Hershey racing seatclamp (silver), Thomson stem 15x90mm (silver), Selle Italia lady Transam seat, Gary Fisher bar ends (silver), Geax blade tires, Schwinn SC-13 cyclocomputer w/cadence.

Submitted by Big Rob a Weekend Warrior from Houston, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    light strong frame, bar ends, double wall rims, suspension seat post, disc mounts

Weaknesses:    pedals suck!!

Bottom Line:
for the price it cant be beat, I am 200 lb. the stock 120 lb. manitou spring seems to light am going to upgrade to 150lb.with the red membrane. seat sucked until I figured out how to adjust preload. this is my first suspension bike, I like it. Cant wait to hit the trails!!

Favorite Trail:   ant hills

Purchased At:   sun and ski

Similar Products Used:   looked at comparable diamond back, same comp. shocks, wheels and raleigh was cheaper with more extras

Bike Setup:   bone stock, removed reflectors for less weight and added spokie dokies, j/k

Submitted by Tim LaPont a Weekend Warrior from Stoneham

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Strengths:    Overall Quality
Deore Component group
Longer list of standard equip.

Weaknesses:    I can't see any real weaknesses considering the price.

Bottom Line:
This bike's a steal.
I was looking to upgrade from my Univega Rover 305 so this would be my first suspension bike. I was basically looking for a light hardtail bike for around $400-600 with a descent front shock, the best shifting components I could get, pedals with straps or clips, pull-up bars, and a shock seatpost. I ride 2 times a week on intermediate cross coutry terrain and want a smooth ride.
After looking for 2 months, the M80 seemed to fit the bill better than all of the other bikes I looked at. The Trek series and Hardrock I felt (might) have a better frame for upgrades but no straps, pullup bars or shockpost and they didn't feel any lighter. They also didn't have the higher end Shimano parts. So for what I wanted and after reading the reviews, the Raleigh had a lot more value.
As far as who should buy this bike, if you're planning on jumping off cliffs, I'd say no. If you're trying to get the most out of $500-$600 in a hardtail, the M80 is probably it.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex Fells

Purchased At:   Ski Market

Similar Products Used:   Looked at Trek 4300,4500,4900 Specialized Hardrock, a couple of Gary Fishers' in the 500 price range.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Wichita, Ks, USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    frame, drive-drain is by far the best in this price range

Weaknesses:    brake levers are junk, pedals are horrendous, suspension seat-post is probably history too, also not a huge fan of the Judy TT fork, it doesn't handle big hits very well in my opinion and I'm around 165 lbs. People seem to either love or hate the gold paint job. Personally, I think it's hideous so I went with the blue.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a solid, entry-level suspension bike to tackle the trails without spending a fortune and I think I found the best option. I rode several different brands and models and for the money, the M80 had the best components in the areas that really count. This bike can be a pretty kick-ass ride with a few upgrades. If you're like me and don't want to wait around until you can scrape together 1,200 bucks for a bike, then I highly recommend the M80.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Horizon

Purchased At:   Continental Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4900, Giant Rainier, Schwinn Moab,Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Stock but not for long

Submitted by KRIS TACHNA a Cross Country Rider from MIDLAND,MICH

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2001

Strengths:    FRAME STIFFNESS JUDYTT FORK

Weaknesses:    PAINT CHIPS EASILY FACTORY M440CRANK HAS ALL STEEL CHAINRINGS

Bottom Line:
I HAVE PUT OVER 1000MILES ON THIS BIKE IHAVE REPLACED EVERY THING ON IT THE FRAME IS LIGHT AND STIFF THE FORK IS STRONG AND NEEDS NO MAINTANCE ITS FAIRLY PLUSH HOWEVER I WILL BE REPLACING THAT TO WITH A DUKE XC THIS WAS MY FIRST REAL MOUNTAINBIKE IT SERVED ITS PURPOSE I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS BIKE TO ANY ONE ITS CHEAPPRICE AND GOOD COMPONENTS MAKE IT FUN AND EASY TO UPGRADE

Favorite Trail:   PINEHAVEN

Purchased At:   COLEMAN

Similar Products Used:   GIANT,TREK,HARO

Bike Setup:   KOREBAR,STEM,SEATPOST,TIOGASADDLE,LXCRANK,LXBRAKES,TIMEPEDALMAVIC221WHEELS,TIOGAXCSLICKS

Submitted by Matt Lowell from Fort Bragg NC

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Strengths:    LX Rear D, Deore Front D, Deore cranks, Bar ends, aluminum frame, Good tires, inexpensive, no bull#^&*$## name, excellent componenet group to start off with

Weaknesses:    sh%$#ty seatpost, heavy seat, sh&%$#ty brakes, sucky front shox, stem too high, sh&%$$#ty rims

Bottom Line:
this is a wonderful bike, I have been striken by upgrade fever. I love my bike and I ride it to work all the time. It is an urban warrior. Buy this bike if you want to make an investment that will last a while. I traded in my GF mamba and one very ancient raleigh 10 speed for this bike (me and my wife got matching M80's) and i figure if raleigh lasted that long, why not stay loyal.

Favorite Trail:   smith lake

Purchased At:   Hawleys

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher mamba

Bike Setup:   new seat and post, new deore rear rim, lx brakes

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Bayside, NY

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Strengths:    Price, Aluminum frame, Manitou Magnum shock, great looking gold paint job. Real smooth shifting and nice comfortable riding bike.

Weaknesses:    Brakes seems a bit light, but not enough to outweight its strenghts.

Bottom Line:
Was shopping for the last month or so and could not pass the deal up. After seeing the many positive reviews, it was a no brainer. Was perfect for a novice like myself, who is not looking to stay a novice long or come up with more $$$ for a new bike anytime soon.

Purchased At:   MetroBikes

Similar Products Used:   Have a Diamondback, Sorrento. This is my first suspension bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by fawnpack from Amesbury Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    nice frame, derailers except when the front is screwed up,
crank, shifters are awsome. overall it is a nice bike

Weaknesses:    brake levers are crappy and cheap, after 2 days of riding i have already bent the rim and popped a tire, pedals are horrible, shocks rebound wierd downhill at high speeds, the seatpost is just horrible try to make a deal with your dealer to trade it for a normal one for a discount on the bike because all it does is wobble back and forth. i weigh 110 pounds and after 2 days i need new crap if you are heavier be carefull

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike for it's price but if your going to go hardcore riding it will cost a few hundreed in upgrades.
The shocks feel cheap

Favorite Trail:   killers trail

Purchased At:   skate and sport

Similar Products Used:   schwinn mesa, this bike is much better

Bike Setup:   stock except for, easton ct2 seatpost, ultralight atb peadls, serfas rx seat wich is the $hi* , avid speed dial 7 levers, and xtr chain

Submitted by Florin a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Strengths:    Good frame, and excellent derailers.

Weaknesses:    Extremely bad pedals. Grips melted after 3 mo. Brakes are not very good. It feels somehow cheap.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike mainly because of the reviews on this web site. Overall the bike is OK, however after 3 mo of riding it I would probably recommend my friends to look for a different brand. This is mainly because some components feel very cheap and don't perform to the task. My pedals are dead already, the gel-grips melted, the brakes are not very good and the Manitou shocks are soft. The upgrades you need for this bike will put it in the same price range with the brand-name bikes.
I think is fair to say that with all these flaws, I still enjoy riding this bike.

Purchased At:   Taylor's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Tried Trek and Schwinn before I decided to buy this one.

Bike Setup:   2001 Factory setup + New back rim (Sun Mammoth)

Submitted by Chris Miller a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Ne U.S.A

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome Frame! Light and strong. I am 6'2 and 210 lbs and this bike takes the punishment my bigger body frame gives it.Excellent components for the money. Full Shimano drive train.Lx rear derailer with deore everything else.Rockshox Judy TT is a good fork for all around x-country riding.If anything thise bike is overbuilt for the money.This bike proves also that I am not paying for a name. I am paying for a great bike from a company who would rather not advertise and make their bikes $200 less than other companies who have to pump up their prices to pay for ad's.Buy this bike if you want to get into a good, tough bike for less moo-lah.

Weaknesses:    Factory suspension seat post. Makes alot of creeking noise and has a lot of side to side play.

Bottom Line:
If you want a "good" bike, you need to spend at least $600.If you want more bike for your money, start with Raleigh or Univega folks!!

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher that had the same exact component set up..Only it was $750.

Bike Setup:   Large aluminum frame. Rockshox Judy TT.Full Shimano drivetrain. Lx rear derailer, deore everything else. Rapid fire shifting.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from S. Windsor, CT

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Judy TT front fork, front and rear drivetrain components, replaceable individual front cogs, rear cassette velociraptor tires, suspension seatpost, and 6061 aluminum frame

Weaknesses:    brakes are a little weak

Bottom Line:
As far as components and features no other bike compared. This is my first mountain bike. I quit racing motocross as of last August after a major knee injury. The reason I jumped in at this price was because I didn't know if I could even ride and didn't want to spend alot of money. Eventually, if my knee can take it, I will buy a FS XC/FREERIDE bike. With that said, I have found this bike is great for the price. It shifts great and has some nice extras like bar ends, and suspension seatpost. The pedals aren't the greatest but are ok for me right now. The only thing I will upgrade soon, as I get to be better and faster, will be the brakes. I do like the ergos with the 25 degree stem. It's good for descending but not quite as good ascending. I've only ridden about six times, with the last outing relatively intense, and the bike was flawless. You can't do better than the M80 for the price, from what Ive seen.

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   did not ride any other bikes but compared to Trek 4900, Specialized top Hardrock, Giant Iguana, Gary Fisher, GT, Schwinn, and others.

Bike Setup:   Bone Stock

How Much to Pay for a 2001 Raleigh M80??

Hi All, A friend of mine at work has asked me to help him sell his old mountain bike so he can get a new one! (wifes orders!) He currently has a 2001 Raleigh M80, and it is in pretty good shape. He said after talking with a local bike dealer that he could get $250-$300 bucks for it! I didnt want ... Read More »