Raleigh 2000 M50 Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281-R, 2.0" travel fork

Submitted by Aurorabucky a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2010

Strengths:    Good geometry, strong versatile frame, V-brakes work flawlessly, gears and components work well for street use.

Weaknesses:    Tires were neither here nor there, components are cheap, 281R shocks marginal, bike isn't elite enough for my bike shop to take seriously. HEAVY

Bottom Line:
I was given this bike many years ago because its intended rider was way way too small for this frame. It saw light use for the better part of a decade until I moved to an area that is very bikeable.

I don't ride trails....never will. I've decided on turning this bike into a commuter/fitnessbike/touring bike as it has taken a beating on the road with no complaints and it's....just...there.

So far the addition of touring tires and strap pedals have transformed the bike into a decent road machine. The RST 281Rs have worked alright up to now, but now act like pogosticks and bottom out when reaching high speeds or braking from the high 20s. These are being replaced with a cromoly rigid fork this week.

I would guess the component group is woefully slow or fragile for a mountain trail. For my purposes, keeping the components calibrated and most importantly not putting excessive power on the pedals when shifting lets you shift anytime at will to any gear - I plan on using these until they break and my chainrings/cassettes wear down to nubs because they simply do their job. Good thing I don't race I guess....

The eventual plan is to install drop bars and a brake/shifter system that will work with the V-brakes, and then install full front/rear cargo panniers for long trips.

The bottom line is 500 miles in the last two months of use with very few functional problems. Just put 50 miles on it yesterday averaging 15 mph over rolling hills. A racing bike could beat me I'm sure, but it does the job just fine. Eventually I'll probably buy a bike more in line for this kind of duty - maybe a Surly Long Haul Trucker. For now, I plan on seeing how many miles I can put on my M50.

Favorite Trail:   Campell Road

Purchased At:   Discarded to me

Similar Products Used:   Ancient Columbia Tourist Expert IV

Bike Setup:   Schwalbe Marathon 26" touring tires, and pending Salsa Cromoto 26 rigid fork, road biking shoes, and front/rear racks for touring. Stock Altus/Acera component group.

Submitted by Mike Eastway a Cross Country Rider from McBain, Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2002

Strengths:    Light, fast frame, extremly durable, Rapid fire shifters, OK suspension, nice cushy seat

Weaknesses:    Some of hex bolts rust a little, rims arn't the best, handle bars kinda cheap

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike you can get for the money. It'll take a major beating. The frame is very robust. I'm 6'1" and the bike is 18" but it has a nice geomtry for me, takes the turns real nice. I'm 240lbs and I've got about 200 miles on it, 75 on rough single track, The only problem Iv'e ever had was the front brake pads, they wore to the metal in like 50 miles, replaced them with some real pads and they've been fine. I've only bottomed out the suspension once,on a 4 ft drop i never saw but the suspension is starting to get a little sticky. Overall It's a great bike, esspecially for the beginner or weekend warrior. You'd have pay about $600-700 to get something better in a different brand.

Favorite Trail:   VASA trail

Purchased At:   Uncle Don's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper, Raliegh M-20

Bike Setup:   Stock, with some new brake pads

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Woodinville, Wa, Usa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Strengths:    Rims, Brakes, shifters, handlebars + headset, shocks are good, but I hear you can get better, tires, frame

Weaknesses:    What the heck is a weakness? Except for a tune-up, there is nothing wrong with the bike.

Bottom Line:
The only bad thing about this bike is the lack of a saddle shock, but that would bump the price up. I love this bike, you can just put your helmate and gloves on and go. (provided you have a tool kit, which I recomend for riders of any bike) It keeps up with my friends $400.00 GT Timberline. I didn't have that kind of money, and my brother has had good luck with his 1999 M20. (even after a bad crash which badly injured his knee, although the bike only needed a minor headset adjustment) So I turned to Raleigh first. I found a 24" M50 that fit perfectly. (I am 6' 2", 15 years old, and still growing) I checked out some other manufacturers and the only one that made a 24" bike that was within my price range was Raleigh. (But they stopped making them in that size for the year 2001, the biggest they make now is a 22". Bad news for those of us over 6') I decided to buy the Raleigh and haven't regreted it. I did give the cushy seat to my younger brother, and put on a gel seat that I already owned a couple weeks after I purchased it. I also added a rear cargo rack to carry extera gear up to the Cascades a week ago. I don't know of anyone that wouldn't like this bike for the price. I don't have a lot of money, and was pleasntly suprised after riding this bike. You really don't pay for a logo, and you get quality componets. Other companies would probably price this bike hundreds more. Thank god Raleigh doesn't. I would have given it 6 flamin chilis, but they only allow five. And, like another reviwer said, I'm giving it five chilis because it is my ride and I love it. Buy this bike if you don't have much money to spend. You won't be disapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Tolt Pipline

Purchased At:   Redmond Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   stock componets, including gel seat, rear cargo rack

Submitted by studawg a Cross Country Rider from Wilton,ct,usa

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2001

Strengths:    its durability and the frame

Weaknesses:    stem, came with p.o.s components

Bottom Line:
This is a good beginner biker's bike. So far more me it has survived me on what I have been doing with it and it hasnt worn down. My friend got a giant and its pissing him off. This is for a weekend rider and fairly good.

Favorite Trail:   cranbury

Purchased At:   my friends house

Similar Products Used:   1994 pos Giant

Bike Setup:   Judy c fork with 100 mm of travel, kore pedals,

Submitted by JB a Cross Country Rider from Wilton, CT

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Frame, wheel set hasnt given me much trouble, handlebars are deffinately a plus, brakes are ok (v brakes)

Weaknesses:    Fork, pedals, saddle, components (Shimano Acera/Shimano A), shifters

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike if you are new to XC riding. The stock parts on it suck, but the frame, and headset is okay. If you upgrade the hell out of this bike, it will prove to be pretty decent. After a year of it, however, ive had enough, and just bought a new bike. I gave a 4 value rating, because i bought it for 250$, which is an ok deal (but, with the cost of upgrades, it will turn out to be much more)overall, STOCK gets a reting of 2 Flamin Chilis, cuz when ur as ill of an xc rider as myself, u gotta have a better bike setup than this...like my new warp with a new BOSE system on the headset (with 12 inch speakers hangin off the sides of course!)

Favorite Trail:   Mike Waskom's mom

Purchased At:   Ski/Bike Market

Bike Setup:   When I used it: Stock
Now: Judy C front shock (80 mm travel, Shimano LX components, Shimano SPD pedals

Submitted by Frankinator a Weekend Warrior from SD CA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Nice frame, with disc mmounts even.

Weaknesses:    Grandma saddle, no name wheelset, and wannabe suspension fork.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as a commuter. I swapped out the Suntour fork, the saddle, the nylon platform pedals and the no name bar/stem. The bike has a very agreeable geometry and a nice fit for me. It is also stiff enuff to hammer. In fact I took it out on the trails (rigid fork and all) and the only thing that concerned me was the wheel set (Alex brand rims and no name hubs). The Acera drivetrain and 6061 frame feel robust enough for my local trails. If I were to spec this bike, I'd pull out that Suntour fork and give it better wheels. But other than that it's a perfect commuter for me due to it's fit. Someday this bike will only have one speed.

Purchased At:   http://www.southbaybikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F2000SX (Now THAT'S a ride!)

Bike Setup:   Stock M50 with following mods: Rigid Canondale P Bone fork, WTB SST saddle, Club Roost Go Fast risers and stem, Time Aliums.

Submitted by J D a Downhiller from Panama City, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Strengths:    The 6061 Frame of the bike is very rigid. The rapid fire shifter works like a charm, and the crankset is better than I thought it would be for the price. The front fork (2001) is a huge improvement over last years model(2000).

Weaknesses:    The SR7700 could use a big more travel. It is too soft for the riding I do, but is better than the RST and the Jett XC. The Brakes Sux bad, and the Acera derailleurs are horrible and loud.

Bottom Line:
The Frame is the stronge point of this bike, so i bought the bike. Everything on the bike is great and far better than anything else out there for the price. I had a Cannondale SuperV full suspension, but i got tired of the lost energy going up hill. This is a great hardtail and for the price upgrading it is pretty cheap. I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants TOP quality and a great price, it IS the BEST for the BUCK bike out there By FAR! PEACE

Favorite Trail:   Crooked Creek, Pine Log

Purchased At:   Steve's bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   2000 M50, Cannondale Super V SL400

Bike Setup:   2001 Raleigh M50, Marzocchi Z2 front suspension. Upraged to Deore XT front and rear derailleur, brakes, crank, bottom braket, pedals, cassette, and break boosters. CODA suspension seat post, CODA Stem, CODA handle bars, and Bonti saddle.

Submitted by Ian from NY, NY

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2001

Strengths:    Price. Frame (except for the crooked brake braze-ons).

Weaknesses:    Wheels. Sloppy construction (rear brake braze-ons unevenly welded; makes rear brake impossible to adjust properly)

Bottom Line:
I use this for commuting in New York City, 9 miles each way, and for getting around. The only time I take the subway is when I'm sick or there's too much snow on the roads...this bike saves me $63 a month.

Five months after I bought it, I began popping a spoke or two a week on the rear wheel. I'm fairly heavy (220) and do carry a fair amount of weight on the rack. BUT--I'm not riding trails, hopping ditches (or curbs for that matter) and jumping over logs. I'm riding on the streets of Manhattan. Nothing extreme. After three LBS spoke replacements and subsequent truings, I did the math and decided to replace the whole wheel. No spokes broken in three months since and the wheel is still as true as when it was built. Shame on Raleigh for releasing a product that doesn't even have the "minimum marketability" of lasting for a year before the wheel builds crap out.

Now that it's got a decent rear wheel, though, it rocks: mashing through salt sand and slush in New York, covered in black tape and road gunk, cyclophernalia everywhere...it is the Commuting Machine.

Buy it if you want a decent beater bike and/or weigh 180 lbs. or less.

3 chilis for value, because I had to sink an extra $100 into it to get a new wheel that didn't suck.

5 chilis because it's my ride and I love it.

Favorite Trail:   2nd Avenue

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ cages; LBS-built Mavic SUP rear wheel; Thudbuster seatpost; Jandd rear rack; Avocet Cross Kevlar tires; Rhode Gear Mirrors, 1 bell, 1 air horn; 2 Planet Bike BriteSpot headlights; 1 VistaLight rear light.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2000

Strengths:    Comfortable seat, nice shifters/shimano setup, good brakes, good suspension

Weaknesses:    Front rim starting to give, some of the hex screws have a touch of rust in them

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a great bike. I like its tough frame, it seems pretty beefy, but still isnt all that heavy.
I am a fairly heavy rider, though, and I can see that the front rim's weld is starting to go. My friend's M60 had better rims and I cannot even see the weld. I sure can see the welds on mine, they have a black mark on them where they catch the brake pad. The only riding I do is on the road, but the front is starting to go with only about 250 miles. The back is still good though. I sure wish they put sun rims on this thing ;) Then it would be perfect.
It is really comfortable to ride, the seat is great. I wouldnt mind bar ends to have another position for my hands on long rides since I am fairly heavy and a lot of weight gets put on my arms, but that isnt really anything. The shimano setup isn't the top of the line, but it is very good. The shifts are precise, and the tektro brakes grip well. I like the rapidfire shifters, I cannot stand the turning type on my friend's M60. The front end of the drivetrain moans a little when pushing hard uphill, but I have never ridden a bike that didnt do that.
The tires are OK, and hold air well. They are just standard kendas. I have had a little problem hooking up in gravel with them, when I rode a gravel path this morning, but it was more because of the gear I was in gave too much power and kept my wheel spinning out. Since I do pretty much all road/ well kept trail riding, I am going to switch to wildgripper sprints, they seem like good, low rolling resistance tires that are priced well(3/$39.99 at performance, folding type).
The only other thing is that the plastic pedals are hard to keep the right part of my feet on. A cheap pair of toe cages fix that like a charm, withough having to buy anything special.
Overall, great, especially considering the price. I think this bike will hold up really well. The hex bolts that are there for a water bottle cage show a bit of rust, but nothing else does because of the Aluminum construction. If only the rims were a bit stronger, it would be awesome. I am pretty heavy though so wont dock it any points.

Similar Products Used:   friend's M60, treks

Bike Setup:   Stock with toe cages, specialized computer, soon to have Michelin Wildgripper sprints w/ Continental tubes

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from Londonderry, NH

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2000

Strengths:    Rapid Fire Shifters
Good value components for the price

Weaknesses:    The Tektro brakes won't stop sticking
Single wall rims are a weakness, however I'm 220+ lbs and it took a few crashes to bend the rear beyond repair

Bottom Line:
This bike has a good mix of entry level components that are better overall than any other in it's class. It's survived my green-ass beginner crashes much better than I have. I've ridden 2-3 times a week on both nasty, scary technical trails (Middlesex Fells) and in root filled mud bogs (Musquash) and all I've been able to do is potato chip the rear wheel after several crashes.
If you're looking in the $300 - $400 price range you're probably a beginner like me and this bike will be a great place to start.
I do think the frame is a little light-duty for someone as large as me (6' 220lbs) so I'm upgrading to an M80 for the beefier frame. My 14 year old nephew will get the M50 and I'm very confident it will serve him well until he outgrows it.
If you're looking for a first bike this is worth a close look, but if you're an old fat guy like me you might want to pry loose a few extra bucks and go for the M60 or M80 for the bigger frame.
I'm giving 5 little campfires for value because I think it is the best bike for the money (that's why I bought it...duh).

Favorite Trail:   Betty Mack/Musquash

Purchased At:   Cycles Etc

Bike Setup:   Riser handlebar, Barends, alloy pedals and toe-clips, extended seatpost, Sun CR18 rear rim with STX hub, Geax hook and Warp tires.

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera a Weekend Warrior from Robstown, TX

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Strengths:    Light frame, good brakes, comfortable seat, durable front suspension

Weaknesses:    Crappy tires (must buy new ones)
Pedals don't grip on my tennis

Bottom Line:
The Raleigh M-50 is an awesome bike for the affordable bike. I have been rough with it and it still rides on. At high speeds it's durable yet lightweight frame gives me the confidence to go at high speeds. It's front suspension keeps my wrists happy and not feel stressed. The reaction time switching through speeds is quick and quiet. An affordable bike at an affordable price.

Favorite Trail:   THE BEAST (thick grass with sudden holes)

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by john zawojski a Weekend Warrior from park ridge il usa

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Strengths:    shifters, frame, brakes, seat

Weaknesses:    peddles, seat post, wheels, tires, drive train-especialy the bb

Bottom Line:
this is my first mountain bike. has not been bad for the price, have been riding hard latley and have been breaking a few parts. The peddles were the first things gone, then the seat post, then the bb-twice, then the rear wheel and tire. All in all have been having a great time with it, dealer has been super about servicing the bike. Buy it if you want to check this sport out cheap!

Favorite Trail:   8-ball