Raleigh 1999 M800 Hardtail Bike

4.44/5 (27 Reviews)

1999 Raleigh M800, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Judy XC, 3.1" travel fork

Submitted by Alan Rodriguez a Racer from Monterrey, NL, Mexico

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Its strong welded frame, well finished, great paint and stickers. Best deal on a hard tail for that year. You could get a better components bike just by buying Raleigh instead of Specialized that sacrifies components just for having that name on the frame. Honest price for a great bike.

Weaknesses:    The fork that came with my bike, a Manitou Spyder, did not match very well with the rest of the bike.

Bottom Line:
I think that this bike (that i no longer have since i switched to a 2005 Trek 8000 hardtail) was a serious bike to race with. I won a few reaces with it and if i could not win more was because of me. I know that there were at the time better bikes but this kicked ass pretty well. Great on climbs. It handled a lot of punishment without any complain, unfortunately i thought on upgrading my chances and bought a Trek 8000 2005, which honestly is a better bike but costs a lot more. Great memories on this bike. Thanks a lot Raleigh`s manufacturers.

Favorite Trail:   El barro, Monterrey, Mexico

Purchased At:   Bikes world

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp, hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Manitou 2001 SXR fork with the amazing TPC technology, mavic x517 rear rim, selle italia seat, XT v brakes.

Submitted by Ben Hawley a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is rugged and for the size(20 or 21 in I'm not really sure) it is fairly light. I never worry about cracking the frame, it seems practically impossible. The paint job on it is chameleon, it changes from blue to purple from the angle of the light.

Weaknesses:    paint chips and scratches pretty easily hard to find a derailuer hanger.

Bottom Line:
Since I started out with only a frame and built it up from that I can only comment on the frame since I don't know what comes stock on it. I recently purchased a Raleigh M8000 F/S and had the intention of selling the M800 but when it came right down to it I couldn't do it. It has treated me real well and would highly recommend this bike to anyone.

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback hardtail
Kona Scab (steel)

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT components, Judy SL, Hydraulic v-brakes, White Ind. cranks, Onza H.O.X. pedals

Submitted by John Kaizar a Racer from Newtown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2001

Strengths:    Great drivetrain, strong climber, long travel fork for XC.

Weaknesses:    No name stem/seatpost, WTB seat, IRC Mythos tires, Heavy.

Bottom Line:
I really love this bike!! I have used it to race all summer in the Midatlantic Super Series on the East Coast. It is a very aggresive climber so you don't notice the extra weight(about 29 pounds) and is bomb-proof on stairs, drop-offs, and jumps. I had a problem with the WTB seat that came on it, but Raleigh replaced it for me. I have also bent two other seats, but i think that was my fault :( I changed the tires to Panaracers which seem to have a lot more traction while climbing in loose stuff. The 3.1" travel Judy has been a welcome guest on technical trails. I did a lot of research to find this bike and couldn't be happier with its performance.

Favorite Trail:   Fell Mountain, Carbondale

Purchased At:   Freeman's, Ottsville, PA

Bike Setup:   SDG Comp saddle, Shimano PD-M858 pedals, Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar 2.1 tires, other than that the bike is stock.

Submitted by Wesley A. Saldua a Weekend Warrior from Everett, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Strengths:    The M800 provides lot of comfort in a bike. It performs well when climbing up hills and tackeling rugged trails. Raleigh's committment to their product's integrity says alot about the company. Other bike companies with similar components usually are priced much higher.

Weaknesses:    The only drawback I find in the M800 is the limited color selection.

Bottom Line:
A sweet ride, a sweet bargin. Simply the best bang for your buck. I can't wait for the 2001 models to come down in price too!

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Outfitters (Kent , Wa)

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   Judy Race Rock Shox, Shimano LX components, Diatech cable disc brakes, 7005 Al frame, 6061 Al stems (Koski Engineering), ...

Submitted by Tobbe Arnesson a Cross Country Rider from Ludvika, Dalarna, Sweden

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2000

Strengths:    Lot's of bike for the money.

Weaknesses:    Two water bottles is a tight fit. One of the bottles have damaged the paint.

Bottom Line:
Wow!

I love this bike, hope it will stick with me for a long time! When you ride it in the woods, on a narrow stony trail you become one with the bike. It's so easy to navigate! The wires had to be adjusted for some time after it was new, but I reccon this is the case with *any* new bike or wire.

I got a flat tire in the beginning and the mud-cap on the Judy fork kept coming loose, a new tire and some electricians tape was all that I needed :)

I'd give value a six and overall a five if I could!

Can't write more, must ride now :P

Favorite Trail:   Finnmarksturen

Similar Products Used:   Marvil Sierra Nevada

Bike Setup:   Changed to Shimano pedals and Aztec brake pads. I also use a fender from SKS Germany when wet and muddy.

Submitted by SLICK from EDGEWOOD, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
This in regards to my earlier review of the M800. I am VERY happy to say that Raleigh made good on the warrenty and sent me a new M800 frame w/o any hastle. The only minor drawback, is that it is a beautiful shade of God awful green. But it handles as well as the original frame. so this is my final rating. 5 chilis for everything, and thanks Raleigh I really appreciate it.

Submitted by Slick a Cross Country Rider from Edgewood NM USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2000

Strengths:    Good components for the price.
Great handling

Weaknesses:    See below

Bottom Line:
This week I noticed a crack in the weld at the seat stay and seat post. So now we will see if Raliegh's warrenty is worth a crap. In the past I have had some warrenty problems with Raliegh in regards to a road bike. I have yet to return the frame to the store that I purchased the bike from. So stay tuned and l will let ya'll Know as soon as I find out (or you can e-mail me). Over all the bike has been an excellent bike for cross country use, and handles like a dream in the rough stuff or while going up the big climbs. A suspension seatpost really makes the difference. Also I did get this bike for a rather sweet price. So my "Value and Overall Rating" are judgeed on the bike's setup and handling
So stay tuned for the results about Raleigh's warrenty which may raise the number of Chilis, or lower it.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in the dirt

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back Ascent
StumpJumper Comp

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock with a beefer spokes. A Body Shock suspension seatpost. Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am seat.

Submitted by Robert Ruff a Weekend Warrior from Aurora, CO

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
All XT Drivetrain
Judy XC Hydracoil Long Travel, dsc ready
LX Brakes with Linkage
IRC Mythos
Titec Handlebars and dualcompound grips
Wellgo clipless

Weaknesses:
no name stem

Bottom Line:
I picked up this '99 model for $671.00! Everything else I looked at with a similar setup didn't even come close to the price. The long travel fork makes a big difference on technical stretches. Definitely a solid bike for the money.

Colorado trail (Denver to Buffalo Creek MTB Area)

less than 1 month

Schwinn Moab 1 or 2
Trek 7000
GT Richochet or Rockhopper

Fuji Nevada, RST Shock

Submitted by dan collins a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1999

Strengths:
Great Color, Super price for the component setup.

Weaknesses:
Rear derailler sticks alittle.

Bottom Line:
This bike it the best bike you can get for the price. Im a bike mechanic and of all the bikes Ive fixed and testrode this bike comes out on top. Fly colour too.

Raleigh M80, M600, Trek8000, CannonF600

RaleighM800 rockshock judy xc

Submitted by KB a Weekend Warrior from Lexington SC

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1999

Strengths:
XT's cranks,
Judy XC

Weaknesses:
Seat, heavy stem,handlebars,climber bars

Bottom Line:
I had money in hand to buy the $1100.00 Moab 1 when I was pleasantly introduced to the M800.....for $250.00 less!! I test rode both bikes multiple times, (and the trek 8000)and I was hooked... Its fast and stiff, the rear end really grabs and accelerates well, and it climbs easier than any bike I've ridden......only thing I'll change is a lighter stem with a higher rise, and lighter handlebar/climbing bars....all in all, this bike is the best in its price range....

Island lake trail, Brighton, MI

Trek 8000
Schwinn Moab 1

stock, except I swapped the seat for a Specialized Sack Saver.....

Submitted by James a Cross-Country Rider from Germantown, MD

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1999

Strengths:
XT/LX Components, Judy XC, price

Weaknesses:
Wheels (Mavic)

Bottom Line:
This is my first real XC bike and I couldn't be happier. I probably will never buy another one, but this is a fantastic bike to get you started!

Sheaffer Farms Trails

Trek 7200, Schwinn Moab

Submitted by Don a Cross-Country Rider from Alberta

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
this bike rocks for the money and what you are getting component wise. I would recommend this bike to anyone!!!!!

Submitted by Arnesson a Cross-Country Rider from Ludvika | Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1999

Strengths:
Great stuff for the money

Weaknesses:
Rubber cap get's loose on the fork.

Bottom Line:
I _love_ this bike! I don't even notice that I have a bike to control. It follows my lead on the track =) Wohoo!!

Marvil Sierra Nevada

Standard

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Lancaster, PA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 1999

Strengths:
price, VALUE!!!!!, great components, suspention

Weaknesses:
Seat

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome it is great for the weekend warrior like myself who was lookin for a great bike for the price. When i recived the bike I noticed that the seat really blows!!!!!!!I sent it back and raleigh replaced the seat for no charge and no i am happy!!!!! Other than that this bike is really worth the price ($679.00). It has really good components and i give it 5 flamin' horses

Shwinn Moab...GT Ricochet...

Raleigh M800, Rock Shox Judy XC

Submitted by Madskinny a Cross-Country Rider from Cincy, Ohio

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1999

Strengths:
Fat tubes and welds, stiff ride for Al, hella climber, best fork & component set for <$1000, Bumblebee color scheme

Weaknesses:
Heavy Heavy Heavy Heavy

Bottom Line:
I ride every day on this thing--short track XC, commuting, stairwells, municipal structures,etc. This bike is tank stout. Unfortunately, it's also tank heavy. As the sage said, It is better to strengthen your back than to lighten your load.

Tower Park