Raleigh 1999 M600 Hardtail Bike

4.86/5 (42 Reviews)

1999 Raleigh M600, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore LX/XT components, Answer Manitou Spyder R, 3.1" travel fork

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Sheboygan, WI USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2005

Strengths:    Basically everything.

Weaknesses:    In the 6 years of owning it I can't complain about anything.

Bottom Line:
Don't see many 6-year-old reviews. More people should do it. Purchased this bike in spring of 1999. It took a little to get used to the aggressive ride position but soon found out why it is necessary. I was reading the reviews people gave this bike and just had to write one myself. After five seasons of riding (about 4200 miles) it’s still going strong. I have no plans to replace it. Most of my riding has been long tours and some off road. My real love is week long tours carrying all my own gear on the bike. Then in 2004 (at age 47) I took up mountain bike racing. What a blast that was and I'm signed up for another season for 2005. Back to the bike. I read where people had their rims fold up early on and actually called them a weakness. Mine are still stock and I never had to have them straightened in the shop. Even after the pounding I put them through racing last year. And as for the Spider R shock, it's performing flawlessly. However before racing last year I did take it in to have it maintained for some added insurance. They had to replace one elastomer. All the seals were still good. But I do plan to upgrade the shock this spring before the racing season. I know this bike was an excellent buy and exceptional quality but I think my good fortune is also a product of good maintenance. Without it any bike will fall apart and then given a bad review. I love taking it apart and rebuilding it almost as much as riding it. Keep up the good work Raleigh.

Favorite Trail:   Sheboygan's WORS trail

Similar Products Used:   I've been riding Raleigh since I got serious in 1996.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for XT shifters and brake set and also replaced the seat with a Terry FireFly Ti saddle.

Submitted by Mel a Weekend Warrior from Newton, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    tough and rugged..takes a nice beating. Climbs well.

Weaknesses:    I weigh 150 and its little heavy but not incredibly whale-ish. Seat is very hard and narrow... (seat not recommended for men or big butts). (p.s. Stupid decals)

Bottom Line:
Great bike - A lot of fun! Nine thumbs up..good price for new riders and value for bike.

Purchased At:   Jefferson Cycle Center

Bike Setup:   Raliegh M600

Submitted by Austin a Downhiller from Middleburg, PA USa

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2000

Strengths:    Frame is Strong
great price

Weaknesses:    Manitou fork
Shimano Xt rear deraller
LX Shifters

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the price When i first got it i didnt really do a whole lot of hard stuff so stock components were fine. but i later upgraded to better forks and components. THe frame is really strong Ive done 5 foot drops with numerous times without it breaking. The geomerty is good doesn't twitch at high speeds Everything has held up great! 5 flaming treks

Favorite Trail:   Bud Trail

Purchased At:   Zimmerman's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   1997 RAliegh M80

Bike Setup:   Not Stock Marzocchi Z1 Alloy 4" 00 Sram esp 9.0 half pipes and rear deraller Sun Ryno lite Rims Michilin DH tires Riser Bar

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Plantsville,CT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    Great value for the money. Blew away the big boys (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale Etc.)on what you get for your clams. Nice strong frame with solid components,

Weaknesses:    Indy shock was heavy and not very responsive on the bigger hits. Recently upgraded to a Manitou Mars C which cut off over a pound and better balanced the bike overall.

Bottom Line:
I was ready to spend more dough on other bikes, but so was impressed with the overall feel and value of the M600 that I decided it would be alot more fun buying the bike and adding a few little goodies. Shaving some weight off with the new front suspension has made this already solid bike even better. My bike now weights in at 25lbs. Not too bad for a mid level machine. Raleigh hit a home run with this one! Enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   Metropolitan District, West Hartford

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Specialized A1,

Bike Setup:   Had fun adding a few upgrades such as the Manitou front shock, Speedplay Frog clipless pedals and a USE XCR suspension seat post.

Submitted by John Gray a Cross Country Rider from Santa Monica, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Strengths:    Great Spec. Well built frame with an aggressive geometry.

Weaknesses:    Wellgo pedals are a bit weak. Would have preferred Ritchey Logic. Rims are OK, but could be better.

Bottom Line:
Great bike value. This is my first serious MTB - I reccoment Raleigh to anyone just getting into the sport. You can spend alot more for the same bike...with a different name! If you are a serious rider, I would upgrade to the M800 or another bike. the shocks and rims on this bike are not up to "expert" level riding. I ride 3-4 times a week on moderate to difficult terrain without any problems!!

LOVE IT!

Favorite Trail:   Elk Meadows, Evergreen CO

Purchased At:   Arvada Bicycle Co.

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab 1; Trek 7000; GT Avalanche

Bike Setup:   Stock - installed rear brak stiffener.

Submitted by Todd a Racer from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Strengths:    Sturdy Frame w/ Lifetime Warrenty
Replaceable rear derailleur hanger.
Good stock LX/XT groupo.

Weaknesses:    Frame is a touch heavy.

Bottom Line:
I actually bought a stock M600 in 1998 and proceeded to upgrade it over two Southeastern cross country seasons. Here's why I still have it:

It's the only frame that did not stray to the new "Genesis" geometry started by Gary Fisher. With a steeper headtube angle I can out corner anyone on it.

It's strong. I broke two lightweight Giant XTC SE1 frames during the same two years I raced the Raleigh. It's also the same frame Raleigh markets as the M-800 with a different groupo.

It climbs like a billy goat on crack. This is always relative to how a bikes geometry fits an individual. The Raleigh fits me better than any bike I've ever ridden. I know that's a bold statement for an "entry level" bike, but I think it's more comfortable than my Lightspeed road bike.

Anyone looking for a "entry level" ride that's endlessly upgradable should buy this bike. You can start racing it just as soon as you get the reflectors off. I'll eat all five of my flaming chili's if this is not the best bike for the money on the market.

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC SE1

Bike Setup:   NO WHERE NEAR STOCK:

Race Face LP Turbines
Custom Judy XC's w/ New Englund Air Cartridges and Aluminum Steerer Tube.
Easton Carbon Fiber Riser Bars and Seatpost
Race Face Bottom Bracket
XTR Brakes and Rapid Fire Shifters

Submitted by Lee Nelson a Weekend Warrior from College Station, TX USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2000

Strengths:    Great components, DiaTech disc brakes are incredible(great product support from El Marko), WTB adds a lot of class to a bike, kudos to Raleigh for switching to RockShox

Weaknesses:    You must be willing to wait for the bike, I waited three months, but it was worth it.

Bottom Line:
A little $$$ goes a long way on this one... I laugh when I see a Trek 7000, those poor saps. Basically, if you want a bike that you can ride the heck out of and have a lot of fun on, this is as good as it gets. FIVE CHILLIES.

Favorite Trail:   Cameron Park, Waco

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Gary Fisher HooKooEKoo, similar price Cannondales, Rockhoppers

Bike Setup:   Completely stock except for Kore Bar and Stem and Salsa barends. The Stock stem is well worth replacing. Stems make a huge difference in comfort and sizing.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    Can't beat the price for the components.

Weaknesses:    Too heavy.
Wheels suck.
Spyder R!!!

Bottom Line:
Well, except for the shock being a lemon, this bike is awesome. My shock completely failed on the first day of riding. Answer had to rebuild it twice, but they couldn't fix it. So after 3 months of arguing, they finally sent me a new Magnum R which is a hundred times better. But still, after my troubles, I think this bike is the best bike for the money. It compares to any $1000 bike on the market. And at only $650, you wont worry about beating it up that much. This is a great buy for a beginner mountain biker.

Favorite Trail:   Bellview, FL

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Big Sur
Schwinn MOAB 1

Bike Setup:   Stock except for fork.
I have a Answer Magnum R

Submitted by matthew magill a Weekend Warrior from ashland, or

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1999

Strengths:
lx/xt component group, craftsmanship, material, tires, seat.

Weaknesses:
frame geometry, shock, rims, weight.

Bottom Line:
This bike sucks, little did I know about how much it sucked until it was ripped off and I bought a 2000 Big Sur. Its scary to descend, has no traction climbing, and the weight!! They say it weighs 27 lbs, but its closer to 28 or 29 lbs. Good thing it had the XT/LX shifters which I had no problem with. Good Road Bike though!

four corners

1 Year

Gary Fisher Big Sur, Specialized Rockhopper A-1

Stock

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross-Country Rider from Ooltewah

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1999

Weaknesses:
the shock, the rims

Bottom Line:
Even though it doesn't beat Litespeed bikes (which are made here i Ooltewah) i like it. I'm 14 so it's not the one i would have choosen but beggers can't be choosers, but i do like it 5 chilis

TNT plant

1 Year

Univega Alpina-uno

stock, even though i'm getting new pedals, tires, handlebar, seatpost, rims, Shock

Submitted by drew a Weekend Warrior from sylvania, OH

Date Reviewed: October 23, 1999

Strengths:
Great deal (I'm a poor college student), solid feel, good quality(100s of miles and no problems yet), nice component package, light fork, saddle is comfy for me, and for the vain it looks pretty cool.

Weaknesses:
tires are soft (quick to wear), fork is a bit too soft even cranked down all the way(I weigh ~160 but do ride quassi hard), grips can be slippery when wet

Bottom Line:
You don't have to spend a grand to find a good bike that will get down the trail confidently. Personally I love passing people with $1500+ bikes on the trail knowing that bike cost can only do so much for your riding ability. There is no need to spend more(if you can't notice the difference another $300 makes, why spend it?). Invest your time to learning to ride well. No bike can make up for a poor rider.

Poto

6 months

Specilized, Trek, Cannondale, etc.

stock, (replaced front wheel after nearly turning it into a taco on the trail)

Submitted by Budman a Weekend Warrior from Tulsa, ok

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1999

Strengths:
components

Bottom Line:
Excellent bang for the buck!! I paid $599. and am very impressed. I was sold on the TREK 7000 for $300 more until I rode this bike. I have the 22 model but it seems very light and agile, & it climbs strong, shifts smoothly and is a joy to ride. If you can find one, negotiate your best price and buy it!

less than 1 month

Gary Fisher line

stock

Submitted by Jemster a Weekend Warrior from Montana

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
Components
bang for the buck
It comes in Black and Blue!

Weaknesses:
Haven't found any

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I looked and looked, and I couldn't find a better deal for the price. All the components are good quality, and the frame has proven to be durable. I have the black/blue bike, and it looks sweet coming down the trail covered in dirt and mud.I ride this bike fairly hard, and it's held up like a pro. I can't recommend this bike highly enough. Five flaming chilis.

Schwinn Moab 2
Specialized Rockhoppers

Stock, but I swapped out the clipless pedals for toeclips

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, Arizona

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
Components
Price
Looks

Weaknesses:
None so far

Bottom Line:
This was my first bike purchased, I shopped around everywhere and couldn't find a better deal even with the more expensive bikes in my price range. When I saw it on the floor for $625, I had to grad it. Best money I ever spent.

3 months

1999 Stock

Submitted by Raymond Martinez a Weekend Warrior from Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1999

Strengths:
Nice components for the right price ! Great handling on flats & climbs nicely too.

Weaknesses:
Not to happy about tha Manitou Spyder's shock

Bottom Line:
For a begginer this is the best deal in town. The overall quality ride and its components are by no means a poor performer. Although I ride my Silver Bullet on the road during the week ,I cann't hardly wait to ride it rough on the coast trails during the weekends.

Yabucoa, Cabo Rojo