Raleigh 1999 M55 Hardtail Bike

3.43/5 (7 Reviews)

1999 Raleigh M55, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano AceraX components, RST 260, 2.0" travel fork

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Central NY

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    !!!!!!!!!!!THIS IS AN UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good brakes, great rims, indestructible frame.

Weaknesses:    Factory components could be better, but hey its less than 400$

Bottom Line:
This bike got me into mountain biking, and because of a lack of consistent large funds, I ended up upgrading it instead of buying new stuff. But that didn't turn out so bad. I love this bike. The weight isn't too bad, the frame is amazing, my only gripe is that it doesnt have disc mounts in the back, but that doesnt bother me 'cause I don't have the cash for discs anyway. I use it for cross country riding a lot, and it hasn't failed me yet, and the geometry of the frame is good for that type of stuff. I rarely crash 'n burn, and when I do, it's usually something stupid on my part. Upgrading componentry helps a lot. The stock derauler lasted me 2 years, and the $40 upgrade was worth it, even though the stock would still run fine.

As far as who should buy the bike, well... they don't even make it anymore so oh well. the equivalent now would probably be the M50 or M60, however, if you are thinking of getting serious about teh sport, it's wiser to pay more upfront and save on upgrades later.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Marlin, Specialized Hardrock

Bike Setup:   Original frame/brakes/rims/levers/shifters. Upgraded to XT rear, deore front, LX crank, Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 tires, Manitou SX LT 100mm fork.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Manlius, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2001

Strengths:    Great Price, Great Frame. Better than most low priced entry-level suspension hardtails.

Weaknesses:    Factory components (acera and alivio aren't the best). Original (RST 381) fork will bottom out on large bumps.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for first time riders. I used it all summer in the adirondacks, and it was fine. Afterwards, I replaced the fork, and now its great. The only problem I've had is with the rear derauler. Great X-C bike for all around use. If you're a pro looking for a kick ass top of the line bike, then go for the M800 or M8000. But if you're just a normal person looking for a good value on 2 wheels, go for it. You won't regret it.

Purchased At:   Ted's Bike Shop in Elmira, NY

Bike Setup:   Bar ends added, Manitou SX-LT fork (100mm travel +12 neg)
Original Components. (thinking of replacing them)

Submitted by Brian a Racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2000

Strengths:    Solid frame, good components if you're getting started.

Weaknesses:    The Gears, shifters, and cables.

Bottom Line:
If you're the occasional mountain biker, or need a bike to go on moderate off road conditions every once and a while, this is perfect. It has shocks, but they are so small that its almost like not having them at all. This summer however, I decided I wanted to do better at the annual race at a park near me. So on about mondays, wednesdays, and fridays for a course of 2 months I would ride to the park, about 5 miles, then bike 4 laps (15 miles), of uphill and downhill grades through sand, mud, and grass. The bike held up good for about the first few days, then I had trouble with the shifter and it just got worse and worse from there. This bike isn't designed for hard riding as I found out. During the race the chain came off 7 times! I wasn't shifting hard either. It came off the front and back at the top and bottom, and somehow managed to get stuck in between my gears. I still came in 23rd out of 200 something people, but I knew it was time for a new bike. Everything pretty much gets messed up and breaks and wears down except for the indestructable frame.

Favorite Trail:   Tatum

Bike Setup:   all stock except if replaced the grip shifters and tires.

Submitted by Blake a Cross Country Rider from Williamsburg, Va

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2000

Strengths:    Good Frame for Upgrades

Weaknesses:    Factory Components Suck

Bottom Line:
I didn't know that I would fall head on into XC riding when I bought it, so I went for economy. I have upgraded everything but the frame, and it has held up suprisingly well. Good frame, but serious bikers their eyes....as I blow past them.

Favorite Trail:   How can I choose?

Bike Setup:   M55 frame, Judy 100 fork, SPIN wheels, Sus. seat post, Time pedals, All XT components,

Submitted by Russell Roth a Racer from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: November 2, 1999

Strengths:
durability and price

Weaknesses:
equipment

Bottom Line:
This bike is good for getting into racing. Yeah its heavy and the components suck, and as the last reviewer stated the shocks feel like teres nothing to them. However if you want to learn how to mb and race this bike is perfect. It took me 3 months to destroy the trek. This poor bike put up with twice the abuse and it never showed. Want to learn to ride get it, if you can already tackle the rough stuff you should already own something better.

killington

2 Years

trek 800, giant

various shimano

Submitted by Jeremy a Racer from Molligan

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Strengths:
durability

Weaknesses:
components
weight
precision
welds
geometry

Bottom Line:
This bike shames all true mountain bikes for serious off roaders. At the time I didn't know much about bike, but now I do and this bike sickens me. It sports a knee busting W21 speed transmission, crapy RD, THREADED headset (like 60 degrees), and the RST susp.The RST susp. is horrible. It says it sports 45 mm of travel, yet there is no adjustability, poor dappening, major lateral flex, some torsional flex,and it only feels like 10 mm of travel. The rest of the components are just horrible. The transmission has slow, unreliable shifting, the brakes are mushy and easily breakable, and the stem has such a high rise (60 degrees) I feel like I'm looking up to it. The only good thing about this bike is the durability, it will take a beating. Yet, besides that don't listen to what anyone else says good about this bike, beacuse if they say it's good they're mountain bike wannabes rookies, that don't know anything. So, in conclusion I have to give this bike 1 chili (if there were negative number, I would of been all over them).

lenepe trail

6 months

none (no bike sucks this much)

alivio RD
atlus cranks
textro v-brakes
RST 260 susp. 45 mm of travel (feels like 10 though)

Submitted by Alexander a Downhiller from Wall, NJ

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Strengths:
Strong, rustproof Aluminum frame. Great price, great components.

Weaknesses:
Bad tires

Bottom Line:
This bike will give excelent results, and will last a lifetime.

tested or demo'ed only