Raleigh 1999 M50 Hardtail Bike

3.61/5 (33 Reviews)

1999 Raleigh M50, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Alivio components, RST 260, 2.0" travel fork

Submitted by Cory a Weekend Warrior from Ontario

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2003

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    crank arms(easily replaced)

Bottom Line:
I've climbed some pretty steep hills and never had a major problem. I've also raced in 2 24 hour races with it and it's held up great.
Smashed rear dereilluir on a rock though.
GREAT BIKE FOR THE MONEY!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Red Rock Hill

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Bike Setup:   Bar ends,Toe Clips,Specilized body geometery seat,cycle computer, lights

Submitted by Bill Gassmann from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Strengths:    it is a freaking awesome bike

Bottom Line:
I love the bike and it will be even better once i'm done with it. Its not the best but it gets the job done. It is a good bike for beginners, it was my first bike and its good for the trails and the road. It may not be able to match a Gary Fisher or Cannondale but it can handle the technical trails al the way.

Favorite Trail:   Nothshore Trail at Grapevine Texas

Purchased At:   cycle spectrum

Similar Products Used:   GT Saddleback 1999
Giant Iguana 1999

Submitted by Doug a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Strengths:    Sturdy, virtually unbreakable frame, pulls lightly for a heavy bike, low maintenance (translation: not too harsh on the lazy folk)

Weaknesses:    Old design (96 is the same, different color, better parts), heavy: at 32 lbs, weighs the same as my GT 6.0 with full suspension

Bottom Line:
Great bike to start with. As a slightly heavier hardtail, it trades weight for improved stability, especially at high speeds. Solid downhill and cross country, extra weight a plus for snow riding. It was an excellent bike for the price and worked fine until slate riding popped a tire and rolled us down the mountain. Doing such a thing will probably break the handlebar bracket and bend a rim or two (must be a weakness in the design - j/k) Have to echo sentiments of other reviews: this is a beginner bike, though an excellent bargain, expect to ride it very hard then upgrade later. Solid steel frame takes every conceivable upgrade in stride and is not a disappointment.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point, Suffolk County, LI, NY

Purchased At:   Fell off the back of a truck...

Similar Products Used:   '96 Raleigh M50, 2001 GT 6.0

Bike Setup:   Shimano Alivio Parallax hubs (MC10 drivetrain), Shimano hyperglide cassette, Alesa rim/Cheng Shin tire rear; Weinmann Fusion rim/Cyclepro tire front, Shimano Alivio deraileurs and V-brakes, bar ends, Suntour fork (60mm), race pedals w/toe clips, hybrid gel saddle

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Suisun, Ca USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    great frame made in USA

Weaknesses:    components are out of date- 7speed cog set w/ a 28 as the lowest gear?! Fork wears out in 6 months, needs serious attension

Bottom Line:
This bike is an ok bike. It does the job for me, but I just bent the rim, and while I'm replacing that, I might as well upgrade to an 8 or a 9 speed cog set, and while I'd doing that, I'll have to upgrade my shifter, and that's a one unit piece w/ my brake lever, so I have to replace that. Not to mentiont rims are cheaper in pairs, so I might as well get a front one, and as long as I'm at it, I'll get one w/ disc mounts so when I get a new fork, I can have disc front brakes...

It was a good start and fun while it lasted, but this bike is about to cost a lot more money. I'd suggest going a bit higher if the funds are available to you.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville Park, CA

Purchased At:   some family owned bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Some bargain basement MTB that I brok the fram on, welded it, and broke it again

Bike Setup:   stock, oh how things are going to change when I get the money...

Submitted by Jeremy a Cross Country Rider from NewBern,NC,USA

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Strengths:    shifters,brakes,frame!!!

Weaknesses:    straight bars,unservicable crankset,tires

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike for the money!!!You get the frame of the more expensive bikes and the gears and shifters do it justice.Tires and saddle are more suitted for the road and light terrian.The only major complaint I have is being so low on the handle bars.Either 2" riser bar will help or a better stem.I have raced 2 beginner races with this bike and it handles real nice.If your new to the Mountain bike scene ,this is the bike for you.Don't buy it if you are a serious racer or 100 mile a day user.

Favorite Trail:   Beaver Dam,Pirrana Pit

Purchased At:   Flythe's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Huffy Ecoterra

Bike Setup:   2" riser bar handlebars,IRC Mythos tires,Avenir Command Air seat,Icon pedals

Submitted by Jason F a Cross Country Rider from Fairbanks, AK

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap bike

Weaknesses:    components are not for serious trail riding.

Bottom Line:
I use this bike to get around Fairbanks on road and trail. I have cracked the plastic pedals from trail riding. It is just fine for transportation and sure as hell beats walking. Grab the super clothes and set off into the winter sunset at 2:00pm.

Favorite Trail:   Alaska is endless

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Factory, i assume, maybe better tires. Added a Blackburn rack to the back

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from ny

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses

Bottom Line:
This is the best damn bike i've ever had i go biking every were with my friends i bike 12 miles in a day (thats good cause i'm 11 years old)since i got it i'm faster than anyone i know the bike is the best if u don't have it ur screwed if u do ur gonna the best time of ur life get it get it get it the BEST BEST BEST DAMN BIKE say to ur self screw the damn price i'm getting it

Favorite Trail:   the world and every were

Submitted by Urban Dynamo a Downhiller from Layton UT USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Strengths:    +The Chromoly frame.

Weaknesses:    -EVERYTHING ELSE!!!

Bottom Line:
I know Raleigh makes some good bikes, but come on, this bike they came up with is !%@#*& up!!! This design is very old (lets say 1994 old) with the threaded headset, the lowest end Shimano Easy Fire shifters, horrible horrible fork with a very old design that's just as complex as a department store bike fork, the "road type" ass numbing comfort seat, etc. I would only buy this bike if you're up to serios upgrading before leaving the shop with the bike. Replace everything: The RST 260 fork, the seat, the threaded headset, the shifters, the brakes, EVERYTHING!!!

>>>

:] Ideal Buyer- Someone who needs to upgrade from a Huffy.

:[ Non Ideal Buyer- Anyone who needs a real bike!

Similar Products Used:   Some Huffy I found on the Highway.

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from Sagamore Beach, MA USofA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Strengths:    Affordability, durability, frame design

Weaknesses:    Brakes, saddle, weight, fork performance

Bottom Line:
My first mountain bike (the key word being first, that means there will be a second!). For the money, a great bike for a novice. You only remain a beginner for so long however... time to upgrade or buy a new bike after three months!!! I broke the stock seat at first crash. Everything else held up great. The weight and the suspension are definitely negatives. I have a blast on the beast though, so that is all that matters... I haven't been stranded yet.
If I had read the MTB Review first I may not have been stiffed $369 in 2000 on a 1999 $300 bike (I must have been paying for free tune ups)! Still for that price I could find nothing comparable. Buy it if you don't have more $$$!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bourne Conservation Area

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except for saddle & tires.

Submitted by Chuck a Weekend Warrior from MAssachussets

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Strengths:    Good Price.
Reliable.

Weaknesses:    Fork doesnt like closly-spaced bumps.

Bottom Line:
Good bike, bought it 1 yr ago, rode mostly on the road till recently. Just started trail riding it in the past few months.
Havent taken good care of this bike but its always worked for me. Wish I had put a little effort into maintaining it.
Good bike for a beginner, good price. If you want to try this mountain bike thing out without plunking down 1000$ this is the bike for you.

Bike Setup:   Stock w/lousy maintenance

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2000

Strengths:    Price, shifters

Weaknesses:    tires, shocks, seat, frame, weight

Bottom Line:
I thought this bike was great the first time I used it but since then it hasn't been doing much for me. The front suspension is too soft for my tastes. The bike doesn't handle well. I can't stand those plush seats...they aren't as comfortable as they seem. It also doesn't fit me that well, but I probably have too big of a bike (18"). The tires kinda suck and the handlebars are too low. I paid $285 for it. Also, I started having problems with the gear shifting...sometimes it just won't go in gear. I think the Univega is a better bike. It's got better components, aluminum frame, higher handle bars, better handling, shifts smooth, and is German engineered. I just sold my M50 and am planning on stepping up to a Haro Escape 7.1 that I saw for $300.

Favorite Trail:   none