Norco 2001 Team Ti Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Wilson Low from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Strengths:    At first glance, it's a titanium frame (17"). A good standover height for 170cm tall me. Comes with rear disc brake mounts. All welds are satisfactory. An OK weight of 3.4 lbs for the frame. Riding this rig, there is lots of acceleration to be had. A good climbing bike (for a 60 kg rider). Rear stays arte stiff enough to not require V-brake boosters (according to the first owner).

This is definitely THE budget ti cross-country frame to get!

Weaknesses:    The stickers come off easily. No big deal as this is purely a cosmetic concern. No provision for panniers or cargo racks, but that just encourages us to travel light.

Bottom Line:
Front end is very light, so a good front tire is required to keep the bike under control at times. Very responsive, goes up and down hills admirably. Going ultra slow uphill and picking the correct lines is easy, and going fast downhill and while cornering is a breeze. Love the brakes!

Most of the parts (excluding quick-to-wear items like tires, tubes, grips) were selected to be durable. So far i haven't been let down. Even a nasty fall that fractured my wrist and hand did not damage the functioning of the components one bit. I also found out at that time that this thing will gain air time very well! Oh well.... I lack a properly calibrated weighing scale, but this bike is certainly no heavyweight.

This is a long term investment, and i probably will not sell it even if someting better caught my eye. Cross country and epic rides/adventures/exploration are so much fun on this steed!

Favorite Trail:   Bukit Timah Nature Reserve

Purchased At:   An assortment of components from all around the island

Similar Products Used:   This is my 1st Ti bike....

Bike Setup:   2001 Norco Team ti (17"). 2001 Rock Shox SID SL. XT drivetrain (XTR cassette) + Time Alium pedals. CK hubs, headset. Hayes Hydraulic brakes (with XT rotors). Mavic X317 rims + Wheelsmith spokes. Thomson seatpost; Koski 115mm, 5degree stem, Coda Expert handlebar. Gary Fisher bar ends.

Submitted by loop wang a Cross Country Rider from dallas

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have one of the orginal Ti bike from Norco that was called Ti Rampage. It's made by Sandvik. I got the bike back in 96 and I have converted into a cross type bike. The bike still looks brand new and works great. The welds on it are almost perfect. I think this bike will last for ever.

Bike Setup:   Manitou 4, mixed old and new XTR stuff, slicks, Ti stem, seat post, handle bar, barends, and peddle axle.

Submitted by N Grover a Racer from Wpg

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Strengths:    I have had many bikes but never felt compelled to write a review before. This is simply the most well rounded mtb. Handling is awesome and top tube is nice and long. The bike is indistructable and I plan on making this my "keeper" bike that I have been looking for (I am not one for disposable things... I like to get attached to my bike).

Weaknesses:    A little expensive but hey, they don't make the team ti anymore so get a used one. Thankfully mine was cheap thanks to the kind folk at Norco who sponsored me last year (they no longer sponsor me so don't consider this a biased review). oh yeah the stock wheels are way heavy. get rid of them and the bike is fairly light. all in all the bike is money well spent.

Bottom Line:
If you get attached to nice things like I do and take pride in your highperformance/rock solid bike, then this could be the bike for you. Nothing rides like TI. Don't get afraid about overseas TI frames because the Norco is well made and the welds are nice. You can't buy a new Team Ti anymore so get a used 2001/2000 with disc mounts for a reasonable price.

Favorite Trail:   anything new

Purchased At:   Sponsorship

Similar Products Used:   Plenty of Rocky Mountains (Element T.O.'s, Vertex T.O.'s, Altitude T.O.'s etc), Trek OCLV, Mongoose IBOC Team......

Bike Setup:   Hayes, XT 180mm cranks, Marzocchi X-Fly 80, custom wheels, XTR..... all the good stuff. Comes well equiped right out of the box.

Submitted by Lenny a Cross Country Rider from Kamloops

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2001

Strengths:    -very comfortable bike
-geometry is totally tweeked
-very fast bike
-good climber and descender
-at home on the technical trails that I ride

Weaknesses:    -the price

Bottom Line:
When I was deciding on which bike to buy this year it was a toss up between a rocky mtn vertex team sc or the norco team ti. I chose the ti because I totally trust this bike for the long haul. And I ride on some 4 hour epic rides and do lots of riding on extremely tough technical terrain and I was doubting the integrity of a 21lb scandium bike. This bike rips hard on the dh's and also climbs realy well. I love Canadian west coast inspired bikes because they all climb realy well but they descend better than any onther bike makers, this bike is no exception. The price is a lot and it does weigh 5lbs more than some bike in it's price range but it is totally worth it because I don't question the durability of this bike. The air fork took a while to break in. The nice smooth ride of titanium has made me a believer of the frame material. I will keep this bike for another years except I'm thinking about putting on some crossmax ust discs on to help knock off about 1.5 lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Milstream

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   2000 rocky mtn vertex
1999 norco torrent

Bike Setup:   stock except I have put michelin comp s's on

Submitted by Cyrus a Racer from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    The ride. Oh so sweet! The feel the looks. I keep this baby in my room. Full XTR, Race face NEXT Lp, brakes are awsome, bar and stem combo is the bomb! And who can forget, its Ti

Weaknesses:    Weight. At 26,2lbs this is a really heavy $5400CAN bike. The wheels and brakes account for this weight mostly. Do not believe Norco in saying "Ultra Race wheels". The wheels are beefy and strong but if i wanted strong wheels i might as well have gotten a Norco Torrent. Seatpost can creak a little bit everynow and again but be sure to grease the clamp and really tighten the bolt.

Bottom Line:
I'm racing on a 26.2 lbs Ti bike and loving it. I've won every race i've started on this wonderful machine. It just wants to go fast, there is not other way to explain it. The price is really steep, but i believe justifiable with the enhanced performance you get from this bike. I can climb anything now! The wheels and brakes are heavy but once you get over the initial shock of the weight, astetic value and functionality overcome.

Favorite Trail:   Jewel Pass

Purchased At:   Sport Swap Ltd.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F900SX, Norco Charger, 2000 Norco Nitro

Submitted by Scary Fast a Racer from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome geometry as per other Norco bikes
Ti frame, light bike
Ridiculously nice spec-Nothing OEM whatsoever!
Beautiful looks
Canadian!!

Weaknesses:    Even though the bike is a top-drawer nothing-to-upgrade bicycle, the CDN$5400 retail price can't be exactly described as a "steal"

Bottom Line:
You just get confused when you look at this bike, because you don't know what to admire; the wheels, the drivetrain, the frame, the colour-coordination of the parts...ahh! It's all so sweet, and the whole thing works together so nicely.

The frame geometry is typical Norco/canadian west coast with a sloping top tube and plenty of standover height. The handling of the bike is simply great for technical stuff, and the air fork feels just about as good as the AtomBombs on my previous bike, despite what I have read in the past about air forks.

Depending on your climate and riding conditions, this could be THE best XC bike for you. For me, it is ideal because the Ottawa riding and racing is technical and has been known to never be dry or free of mud. This is where the handling abilities and disc brakes come into play.

It will fit in any racer's lifestyle because it is very lightweight, and certainly carries plenty of panache with the exoticness of the titanium frame combined with the trick reputation of a canadian B.C. company legendary for dominating the North Shore.

The price is certainly something to consider, though. It is a pretty good deal if you are able to get it through a sponsorship deal. It would probably be a steal for Americans who come and buy Canadian because of the favourable exchange rate...lucky americans!

The bike easily gets 5 chilis, but for value it just barely falls short. A $100K BMW M5 may be worth every penny, but to call it a good value would not exactly be sound financial advice. Same deal here, I guess.

Favorite Trail:   Multiple Orgasm, Gatineau Park