Nishiki 1999 Manitoba Hardtail Bike

4.13/5 (15 Reviews)

1999 Nishiki Manitoba, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 260, 2.0" travel fork

Submitted by Lynn McCleland a Weekend Warrior from Euless TX USA

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable - have never had a flat tire over past 10 years - still in good shape

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
Low maintenance, strong frame and a very reliable bike.....

Favorite Trail:   Knysna South Africa

Purchased At:   Cycle store Port Eli

Similar Products Used:   Compared to a racing bike - none! My son had a bike that cost 2x more than mine... within less than a month,he had to replace his bikes frame ....had at least 3 flat tires in less than 6 months and that is riding on a paved sidewalk.

Bike Setup:   Like the sturdy frame, able to adjust the saddle, handle bars etc to suit my body.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Salt lake City, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2006

Strengths:    I liked how long the frame is, it makes it easy to throw your weight around when you need to. Its cheep, and takes a beating (once you replace the cranks).

Weaknesses:    The frame has alot of flex in it. I have had to replace everything on that bike exept the frame, RST fork, headset, stem and handlebars.

Bottom Line:
Have had this bike for a long time. Inspiring, It has something about it that brings the kid out in you. This bike was not built to do downhill, Trials, jumping, or freestyle. I did all of those and had to replace almost everything, but I never had a problem with the frame. You probly could not find this bike anymore. If you do, and you are new to mountain biking I recomend this bike for the inspirational aspects. Its cheep, fun, and has a good feel to it.

Purchased At:   Gart Sports

Submitted by David Haymond a Weekend Warrior from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    It's still going after 16 years.

Weaknesses:    It is heavy.

Bottom Line:
I have owned this bike since 1989 when I purchased it to get me around the streets and curbs of downtown Charleston, SC while I was in school. It has visited many easy going trails since then and has always been a reliable friend as long as it gets tuned up every couple of years.

I have just purchased my first real MB (Spec. Enduro Pro) and I’m sure the new bike will get most of the attention now but my old reliable Nishiki will stay with me, now with slicks on it, to ride with my kids around on our Greenways.

Favorite Trail:   don't have one yet

Purchased At:   Some little bike store in Charleston,SC

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Rob Morris a Cross Country Rider from Idaho Falls IDAHO USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2003

Strengths:    Durability. Price. Ease of use.

Weaknesses:    No shocks. Heavy.

Bottom Line:
Having ridden this bike for ten years, all I can say is that it is superb. I have done hard-core off road and long treks on it. It has been in three states. Carries camping gear no problem. Highly dependable. I am considering getting a bike with shocks but like this one so much I may never do it. I simply don't believe that the incredible amount of money some people pay for a high-end bike is money well spent. I'm sure they think so, because it's the American way. $=Good. This is all the bike you need if you want a good bike.

Favorite Trail:   Idaho Falls to Bone, Idaho

Purchased At:   Idaho Mountain Trading

Similar Products Used:   I have used this bike for over ten years. Still going strong. This is a great bike. I just rode it over 40 miles of hills yesterday. It takes a licking. I bought it and have never wanted another product.

Bike Setup:   Stock except I replaced the seat. Yearly tune-up is all it needs. Added rack and panniards for touring.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from South Bend, IN, U S of A

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    Frame= a little on the heavy side but it held up to a lot of "shortcuts"
Wheels= slight bends here and there, but they still rotated fine
Brakes= excellent as long as you can get them to not rub on the rim
Tires= collected mud, but great on dry trials

Weaknesses:    Fork= non-adjustable
Grips= change them emmidietly
Rear derailleur= doesn't hold the chain very taunt
Front derailleur= misses shifts all the time
Crank= average for a cheap bike!

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike for the money
I'm getting a new one because i crashed my bike misrably. I had a fight between a tent tow rope at 35mph, and the rope won!

My new bike to be "Specialized P.2" just a little stronger!

Favorite Trail:   Rum Village

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock except for new grips, tires, and seat

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Central Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2002

Strengths:    Solid bike, I've ridden it off and on for 8 years (purchased in 1994), rides smoothly, don't have much to compare it to.

Weaknesses:    Seat wore out. Seems a bit heavy compared to other bikes.

Bottom Line:
It's worked well for me, though I have a feeling it would start to break apart if I rode it hard frequently. Still has held up well and needed very little attention over the years.

Purchased At:   Kim's in New Brunswick, NJ

Bike Setup:   All stock (except for replacement seat & post)

Submitted by em from pdx oregon

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent bike. Ridden daily on pothole glass filled city streets. lots of curb jumping to avoid heavy traffic. Just broke my original chain 2002. seat worn out. Third set of tires. Nishiki Manitoba is a great bike. 10 plus years!!!!!

Bottom Line:
worth every penny

Submitted by KC R from Rosburg,OR

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2002

Strengths:    strong frame. The bike will withstand quite a bit of punishment, the bike clibs very well also. Exelent Brakes

Weaknesses:    wheels bend easy. RST fork wore out after 1 and a half seasons. Cold weather makes the RST fork very stiff. Brake Levers suck.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good entry level bike, With modifications of the components it could be a good XC racer. The Frame Is the best Value. The way the rider weight is positioned is perfect.

Favorite Trail:   Hemlock Lake Trail

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hard Rock

Bike Setup:   SR Suntour MG - 90, STX-RC brake levers, Control Tech bars, FSA orbitz headset, Sugino crank, XT r. deraleur, Sachs Shifters, Specialized Ground Control Tires

Submitted by Bjorn Kuhlmann a Cross Country Rider from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2001

Strengths:    Strong sturdy frame, easy shifter.

Weaknesses:    Wheels come out of true a little to often than I like.

Bottom Line:
With the money you spend on this bike you get a very good bike. Great for beginners, gives a nice smoth ride in pretty much all terrains, give the bike some parts upgrade, and you can even use it for racing. It gave me a 52:nd place in a public police race 2 years ago, and I'm about to do my second race this month with the same bike.
All around great bike!

Favorite Trail:   Robinson state park

Purchased At:   Dick's sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   My 3:rd Mountain bike, other 2 where ridgid Trek 850 and Cyclepro Grizzly.

Bike Setup:   I use a IG Compatable chain that makes shifting faster, also changed the tires to VelociRaptors for more grip, Changed the RST fork for a Rock Shox Judy XC for more travel.

Submitted by Nicholas Stacy from Farmington, NY

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Strengths:    Dependable, durable,easy shifting, great brakes, good handling if pushed or "something comes up". Comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Wheels, they do need trueing several time during 200 to 300 miles of off road riding. (A mix of serious down hill and pleasant railroad beds converted to trails.)

Bottom Line:
Very good value. Stay away from discount store Huffys and such. This bike can be adjusted for a comfort style riding on easy trails or the road, or you can lower the bars and change the seat height and be very much in control climbing all over the bike for serious off road riding or down hill. The bike is not however a serious, hard core off road machine for someone who replaces bike and components annualy. I ride 20 to 30 miles on a mix of trails and enjoy all of it. Occasionally I ride about 6 miles of intense, adrenalin downhill and bike takes it all in stride.
Nice Bike.

Favorite Trail:   Victor Hiking Trail & Hi Torr

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting

Similar Products Used:   none but I have reluctantly been using my early Eddy Merckx road bike on some of the trails knowing I shouldn't. Used to motocross decades ago.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock.+ Tool bag.air pump, "speedometer"

Submitted by James Seeney a Weekend Warrior from Oklahoma City, OK

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Strengths:    Looks - Price - Nice ride on trail or road

Weaknesses:    Wheelset is not the strongest

Bottom Line:
For a first bike I couldn't have asked for better. The price was cheap enough not to break me but still got me enough bike to find out if this was something I wanted to stick with. Have ridden it fairly hard over the past year and with the exception of the Weinman wheelset, it performed great. I had to retrue the wheelset 4-5 times - Not bad but I'm 215#'s and need stronger rims under me. The RST fork handled what I threw at it adequately. The components never failed me.
Highly recommended for a first MTB when you don't want to spend a great deal of $$$ but still want to see what MTB is about.
It got me hooked and now I can justify parting with the extra $$$ for a Specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Draper short track

Similar Products Used:   My 1st MTB

Bike Setup:   Stock: Shimano Acera - EZ Fire shifters - Weinman 519 - RST 261
Added: Serfas saddle - extended seatpost - extended stem

Submitted by Travis Rowland a Weekend Warrior from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 23, 1999

Strengths:
looks, comfort, smooth riding. Inexpensive, quality components. large frame.

Weaknesses:
big bike, not for those who need a step stool.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the weekend biker, inexpensive, quality product. Comfortable for long rides, easy shifting. Nice bike.

streets of Downtown

friends have: Outlook, hardrock

Submitted by Scott Hagan a Weekend Warrior from Nashua, NH

Date Reviewed: July 14, 1999

Strengths:
looks
comfort
price

Weaknesses:
entry level

Bottom Line:
Well, I just got into mountain bike riding and I am addidcted. I LOVE IT! I really cant compare the Manitoba to anything else since it is my first bike but for $320 I think you get alot of bike. My friends all have bikes and I have rode them such as Gary Fisher Tasahara and a Pro-Flex and also a giant. For the $ I feel very confident in my new best friend. Cant wait to race and have a blast!

Mines Falls Park

Submitted by Thomas Schaefer a Weekend Warrior from Groveland, MA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
My first mountain bike, what a blast! Considering I don't know squat about those hardcore bikes, my review comes from the average weekend rider perspective. I've only been riding less than a month, so nothing has broken yet, but everything works extrememly well on the bike. It is much lighter than anything I have riden before; its tough to keep the nose down going up hills. I would definately recommend this bike to anyone getting their first bike. Spend the extra money, don't get the substandard stuff at the chain stores, eventhough it may only be $100-$150 for a chain store bike, it is a waste of money. Find a good bike shop and prepare to spend at least $250 for some incarnation of a mountain bike.I can only give it 4 points since 5 would be perfect and I don't know enough yet to know what perfect is. My guess is this isn't the bike to go down the side of a mountain with, but it is definately great at going through the woods on trails and in the city parks. I paid $330 for mine (yea, I saw a MSRP of $315 too, I have no idea whats up with that) and it was well worth it.

any

(sorry, but its true)

Off the shelf RST shock

Submitted by Geoff Domoracki a Weekend Warrior from Chagrin Falls

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap, much better than my last rigid Diamondback, suprisingly light (mine is 28 lbs)

Weaknesses:
None yet

Bottom Line:
I needed a cheap hardtail bike, this was an excellent choice

Ohio metroparks