Motiv 2001 Rockpoint Hardtail Bike

3.64/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Weekend warrior2

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    I have owned several Mountain bikes in my life, from Diamond Back, Schwinn, to Mantis Raptor and this has been the best Mountain Bike ever. I also get people complementing me on the way it looks all the time.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
Best Ever

Submitted by larock a Racer from Boston Mass

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2011

Strengths:    Fast,pretty smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Clicks when pedaling.Good brakes.

Bottom Line:
So I bought this bike from a crackhead last night for 20 dollars.It rides pretty well although it takes wide turns cause I AM 6'1 230 pounds. Bike is in pretty good shape,say it has to be 10 years old. Bike is fast once you get goin,but a little hard to pedal at times..Maybe I'm a little out of shape.great deal for 20 bucks!

Favorite Trail:   City driver

Purchased At:   By a crackhead

Similar Products Used:   Bmx as a kid.

Bike Setup:   Red rooster.

Submitted by frdpd a Weekend Warrior from jacksonville

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, fun, durable, stable. One of the best bikes I've ever had. The paintjob is so flashy & cool looking.
I actually crashed it going very fast, and got flipped off it. I feel like it could have very easily been disasterous on another bike, but I just flew through the air and landed on my feet, standing, & then touched the ground, with only a small scrape on my knee. I thought I woiuld be able to turn quickly to get onto the sidewalk, but the bike feels unstable with fast turns & I ended up running right in to the curb. This bike is SO much fun to ride, & the weight is not all that bad, when riding. I do not even notice it much when climbing hills. The handle-bars are great for hill climbing.

Weaknesses:    Is it just me? Not sure, but the turning seems to be very broad. I have to slow down a lot if I need to make a sharp turn, more than normal, or so it seems to me, although, it could be that I'm just heavier 225 lbs than I used to be w/ my other bikes. It makes a click noise every rotation. I had to replace my rear wheel, then had to replace the "cassette", or free wheel, had to replace the pedals. The bike was wheels were broken when I bought the bike, & that is why I got such a great deal. I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Bottom Line:
buy it

Favorite Trail:   all over Carrboro

Purchased At:   military surplus sto

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Murray, KY

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap. If you take care of it and fix it, it will last a long time, it just won't really perform that well.

Weaknesses:    Breaks a lot. HEAVY!! Loud. Basically no suspension. Cheap parts.

Bottom Line:
I've had mine for many years, got it for Christmas when I was just a kid, like 14 maybe? I'm 20 now and I have to say, I guess it has held up okay, now that I think about how long it has been. I ride pretty serious, and this bike shows it. I have had to replace the whole rear gear set once, due to a broken axle, and it is making the same noise it did then, again now...so it will probably have to be placed again. I did some weight reduction mods, by either taking everything not essencial to the bike off, or cutting it off with a hack saw!! :D The thing still weighs like 45 lbs though. For the weight, it should really be stronger, but I guess I can't complain. I've never really tried much crazy stuff, because I have damaged the bike too much, and have gotten tired of fixing it. I was going to upgrade to a Kona, but I am getting into road cycling now. Basically, if you get it for really cheap, and take EXCELLENT care of it, (mine has always been cleaned, dried and parked in my ROOM after every ride) this bike will last a long time, assuming you don't do more than ride some easy trails and maybe RIDE down some stairs, other than that and you will be fixing it. It is also really noisy but I guess that's just the cheap-o parts. Bottom line, great cheap first mtb, nothing more.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Sam's Club

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Jamie a Weekend Warrior from Quincy, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Very durable. Rides easy. Handles really good, it stays where you put it!

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side. Kind of hard to get on if you are short (like me - 5 foot).
A little on the expensive side if bought brand new.

Bottom Line:
My husband has owned his bike for more than 6 years and it is still in excellent condition. We both use it all the time. My little sister loves to ride it here and there. It's great for "off-roading" (especially in mud and water), if you just want to go riding on the street, or if you need to go somewhere. We have never replaced any parts. So I think for the money spent on it, it is very worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Any and all

Submitted by M.D. Hargram a Weekend Warrior from All Over

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    I have ridden/owned several different bikes thru my life (40 y/o)and this is the best bike I have ever owned. I can ride anywhere I want, and the added wt only adds strength. I have not had the misfortune others have stated, but MOTIV has to make money some how, and the parts are one way. AS for the wt of the bike, I have only strengthed my ride with the heavier bike.

Weaknesses:    The only complaint is that the seat pole is too short and the stock pedals lost the reflectors the first week. If this is all that I could complain about... I am very fortunate.

Bottom Line:
Best bike for the money hands down!!! if you are into any competition, but a competition bike, not a off the rack discount bike.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   MTB, Mongoose, Cannondale, many other lower end bikes

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Durable frame (heavy as can be though).

Weaknesses:    hrm, where to start. Shimano equiped, but with the cheapest shimano components available... Geometry sux, shocks are VERY short travel. Forks are very heavy (6+lbs). Stock rims are single walled and do not hold true. Seat post is short... Bearings are not sealed, BB is not sealed, cranks strip easy, pedals suck. Pretty much the whole bike....

Bottom Line:
This is not a real mountain bike. Yeah, it may have two wheels, gears, etc., but it is junk. I wouldn't recommend this bike to anyone for any type of off road use. I rode one for about a year and a half. Initially I was "pleased" with the $100.00 I spent and how good of a deal I got and how, "for the price you can't beat it"... However, that was due more to ignorance than anything. So many parts on this bike broke and had to be replaced. I know that Motiv will send out new parts, no questions asked, however, the new parts they send are still the same crappy parts that broke the first time. So you either spend several days at a time waiting for more crappy parts, or go ahead and upgrade. At first, I waited, after I got sick of that, I started upgrading. In the end, I spent over $400.00 upgrading parts on that beast, bringing my total cost of the bike to roughly $500.00! And the bottom line is that the bike was still crap. Yeah, it was crap with nice parts, but still crap.

Since then, I've purchased a Gary Fisher Tassajara, and cannot believe the difference. It is absolutely amazing how much better my Tass handles and rides than the Motiv. It's truly a night to day comparison.

So, bottom line, don't buy this bike if you want a mountain bike. Save your money and buy an entry-level bike AT A BIKE SHOP. You will be MUCH happier.

Purchased At:   $100

Submitted by chris donovan a Downhiller from Mass

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    Strong durable-takes general abuse well

Weaknesses:    heavy--dont try carring it too far

my main complaint is i was going down my ususal 1-2 downhill i do quite often when the rear gear assembly broke---all the ballbaring crushed and the whole thing fell apart---the compony was quick with a replacement part and appoligisedf for any harm that came too me

Bottom Line:
great bike----lasted me longer than my gary fisher takes abuse well and backed by a great company

Favorite Trail:   Any downhill

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher mt tam

Bike Setup:   stock with new front shock assembly--not nessicary did for a long down hill near home ripped up by dirtbikes

Submitted by Chris H a Weekend Warrior from Greer, SC, 29650

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff frame and shock, everything except rims can take some abuse.

Weaknesses:    componits, weight.

Bottom Line:
I am just borrowing this bike from my little brother while mine is in the shop. Its extreemly heavy, so you will have to do some work to get it up the hill. Its actually alot more fun on the downhill than my $1000 hardtail. (note: the hardtail wasnt designed to be a downhill bike) Ive done some pretty big jumps around campus (stairs) The biggest on i have done is 10 steps, so its a pretty sturdy frame. Due to the weight and center of gravity on the bike you have to pay attention to making sure you are set up perfectly for the jump otherwise you will go sideways or worse. Its a pretty good bike to "free ride" on if you dont want to spend alot of money.

Favorite Trail:   any downhill

Purchased At:   sams

Similar Products Used:   real bikes

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Nathan a Downhiller from San antonio

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    farly solid, farly good breaks, handles down hill trails that are tuff on other bikes

Weaknesses:    dirt cheap parts rust way to easy, had to buy new sprokets after 1 day of riding, seat post is to short for a tall person like me have some trouble with the shifters, the roll pin keeping the handel bar and weel alighned has fallen out 6 times i have to keep extras in my back pack

Bottom Line:
good bike for the price i payed but the parts need to be stainless steel. it can handel some fairly harsh down hill conditions

Favorite Trail:   down hill

Similar Products Used:   huffy

Bike Setup:   stock sept for the sprokets

Submitted by Dave Robinson a Cross Country Rider from Ballston lake,NY,Saratoga

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Strengths:    Solid performer for the price.With a few necessary upgrades you'll be on your way,to what I dont know.I have a $2000 canondale jekyl and I enjoy riding this thing just as much.

Weaknesses:    The cockpit is a bit short,The bike is a bit heavy, and the components are cheap but for the price I paid, I have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
This bike was a steal for $100 however, it was a clearance price. Normally it was $300. I was able to upgrade the components because I bought it cheap.I have $350 in this thing now and I think I will stop there.If I go any further it will no longer be a bargain.The fork was the most necessary upgrade. The cheap chili fork weighs 6 pounds and has very limited travel. However like the rest of the bike it took everything I threw at it. If you are looking for a cheap off road performer and you can find one of these for what I paid then grab it fast and enjoy. You can get decent components at clearance prices at your online bike shops and before you know it you have a real mt bike. I've seen these bikes on Ebay almost new for next to nothing.Mine is a 18" frame,I am 5'10" and it fits. Don't know if motiv made different sizes.

Favorite Trail:   the path to grandma's house

Purchased At:   sams club

Similar Products Used:   there is nothing out there for $100 that can touch this thing.

Bike Setup:   upgraded fork MANITOU SX..rear shock,rock shox SID DUAL AIR..also changed Seat post,stem,pedals and thinking about upgrading the drive components ect.

Submitted by Sean a Downhiller from Waynesboro PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Good Brakes, shifters, good suspension, VERY GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. Aluminum frame. Good buy for the money.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, rims are easily bent on the trail.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for $100 and am very pleased with it. Good brakes, shifters/derailers, and shocks. The customer service is what impressed me most though. I trashed the rear cassette. Later that day I called the customer service # on the frame and "bingo-bango" a week later there was a whole new wheel on my doorstep no questions asked, no hassel.

For $100 I say go for it.. I does the job for me quite nicely.

Favorite Trail:   Michaux Downhill (Local)

Purchased At:   Sams Club

Submitted by Garrick Fredericks a Weekend Warrior from Rutland,Vt,U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Strengths:    Great shocks, nice seat, not to light(not to heavy), looks nice, made of aluminum

Weaknesses:    ugly welds

Bottom Line:
This bike is great and doesn't coast a lot this is worth the money and is my favorite bike ever. Even though this is not a popular brand it is still a great bike, just doen't judge bike by the out side or the brand name.

Favorite Trail:   Don't have one yet