Mongoose 2000 DX 10.7 Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou MARS, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by reg rider a Cross Country Rider from tallahassee

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2005

Strengths:    Frame is beautifully crafted, 3/2.5 titanium. Light, strong, and dynamic

Weaknesses:    Really none come to mind

Bottom Line:
Wonderful bike. When i moved from the east coast to the rocky AZ desert, i thought my aluminum hardtail was going to break me. rather than going full suspension, i replaced it with the mongoose and am very glad i did. it is great on almost every performance level. i am ~185 lbs and have ridden the bike hard. the ti frame is beautifully crafted. although the rear triangle flexes a bit on big hits (which affords significant shock absorbtion) the frame as a whole is stiff and responsive. very quick acceleration. the frame is not featherweight, but it's pretty light. (anyway, if you're worried about a lb or two, you should just ride more.) the frame is bomb proof. i have ridden it on some of the rockiest trails in america, and not so much as a ding or dent. I don't really know what the original parts group was supposed to be; i customized when i bought it. this bike isn't made anymore, but if you're thinking of buying one used, i'd recommend it

Favorite Trail:   cedro peak, otero canyon, albuq, NM

Purchased At:   LBS, Flagstaff

Similar Products Used:   klein aluminum hardtail, merlin Ti road bike

Bike Setup:   Mongoose DX10.7 ti frame, large (~20.5"), Mavic517/XT, XTR/XT, Avid brakes, Thompson, Chris King, Easton, Bomber flylight 100 (air, oil)

Submitted by Joe Kostick a Cross Country Rider from Hazleton, PA USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    Great frame workmanship with superior components.
Lightweight and nimble to handle.
Fast acceleration and good climbing ability.
Excellant geometry for my body size of 6' and 185lbs.
Great front shock, rides better than my full suspension

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet

Bottom Line:
In my 20 years of road riding and 10 years of off road riding, I have never seen such a well engineered and percise frame. The welds are beautiful and flawless. The bi-oval down tube is a work of art. The titanium frame rides very smooth and yet power to the pedals is maximized. Acceleration is unbeliveable. The drive train is silky smooth through all gears except the extreme angles that I never use anyway. Brakes are powerfull, yet do not grab in a quick brake event.

I have put about 300 miles on so far ( mainly old railroad bed trails)and over hard pack, soft dirt, rutted gravel and the bike handled great. The Answer Mars 1 front shock , titanium frame and leather saddle combine to give a ride better than my full suspension bike.The shocks did not come with boots, I guess that is the new design. I just clean them with a rag after a ride and they perform great. And contrary to some reports, the IRC-Notos light weight tires work well in all trail conditions. I don't know yet how they wear, but after 300 miles they still look like new.

I have been breaking about 30 spokes a year on my other bikes. I hope the Crossmax wheels with straight spokes will reduce breakage, so far so good. The rear spokes can be replaced without taking off freewheel , great design.

I can't honestly say how the DX10.7 would handle very rocky and steep down hills or rocky single tracks, since at my age (of 58) I don't need injuries and limit my riding to maintained trails. I recommend this bike for someone who rides a lot of long distances and is looking for superior performance and a smooth ride.

Will how much futher can I praise this bike. My first titanium, high end bike purchase is eveything and more than I expected. 5 chillis for this tremendous machine.

Favorite Trail:   Lehigh Gorge