Mongoose 1999 DX 10.9 Hardtail Bike

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

MONGOOSE DX 10.9

Submitted by Catracker a Cross Country Rider from TX

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2000

Strengths:    Light, flexy

Weaknesses:    a little hard to get used to the frame

Bottom Line:
I got this frame from Cambria and added custom components from PricePoint and SuperGo mostly. Once I first got on the bike I thought I had made something special. The first few rides I took were just cross country to see how far I could go on this baby. Needless to say no matter how fast I got the bike riding with every pedal stroke I could still feel acceleration! This baby is light and fast. One drawback was on the technical trails I had to get used to the headtube flexing on the turns. All other bikes I had ridden did not flex at all on the turns. But as I rode the bike more and more the flex in the headtube became an asset which now makes the turns easier to bite and really put as much pressure as the front tire can handle. I haven't taken this baby to a race yet but plan to. Looked into the Moots, Merlin, and Litespeed but was unimpressed with the price. Can't beat the hand workmanship of Moots but I'll race a Moots rider anyday and win on the hills. This is also a bike to take on a ride each day of the week. Oh and to all the naysayers about the suspension seat post I'm not sure if they've tried the USE. One great value for the bike and the welds are a work of art. No problem here with the headset and please actually check out the ride before you post a rating. 5 Chilis and Tobasco to boot!

Favorite Trail:   Palo Duro

Similar Products Used:   chromoly frames, aluminum frames all makes/models

Bike Setup:   full XTR, USE XCR, Specialized BG saddle, Super Fly, King, Mavic, Kore

Submitted by PHD a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, PA USA

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2000

Strengths:    Quality frame with great performance.
Well-chosen and coordinated component selection that works.
Great value versus weight versus ride versus performance.

Weaknesses:    Front end tends to dance on climbs.

Bottom Line:
This bike is outstanding in value and performance. Close inspection reveals a well-crafted frame with exceptional fit-and-finish -- the welds almost look bonded. I have noticed little, if any, frame flex on climbs (although I am only 155 lbs). And does this bike like to climb. It is as if the back wheel is glued down -- outstanding in or out of the saddle. Although I considered going to a riser bar or bar ends, I have found that the top-tube length on the 16" frame and the stock, short, no-rise Titec bar and stem provide a range of perfect riding positions, at least for me, even without bar ends. The front end does tend to hunt and wander when climbing due to the light weight and front-end setup. However, as a result, the handling is exceptionally responsive. Although initially scary quick on downhills and tight turns, it inspired confidence after time in the saddle.

The XTR group has been outstanding with only a few random chain-suck incidents most likely due to poor-shifting habits -- otherwise shifting has been flawless, even when mud clogged. The FSA Orbit DL headset does appear to be mismatched with the level of the rest of the components. While there is nothing really wrong with it, the non-sealed bearings do require frequent maintenance. All that will be required is an upgrade to a sealed set when the DL wears out. The Crossmax's have been a delight with little discernable flex, amazing braking ability under wet and muddy conditions, and little fade under lengthy braking. The SID has worked well -- enough said.

I'd recommend this bike to anyone looking for a titanium ride with top-notch, well-coordinated components and frame. This bike is light, reliable, and XC raceable out of the box. While one should consider how Mongoose has changed some of the component specs on the '00's -- perhaps for the better, perhaps not -- I can only comment that the '99's work well. In any event, the frame alone appears to make it worth it. And as far as the Wal-Mart stigma -- who cares? My LBS is happy to take my money to service this bike which means they will get my business come upgrade time.

Favorite Trail:   Brady's Run & Beaver Creek

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback carbon-fiber, steel frame with full XTR and Marzocchi BAM.

Bike Setup:   Stock from Mongoose -- full XTR, SID XC, Crossmax's -- plus Ti Frogs.

Submitted by a-dog foo a Downhiller from la

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2000

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    cheap, crappy, terrible product

Bottom Line:
sucks ass!

Favorite Trail:   hunchback

Similar Products Used:   cannondale 1999 f700

Bike Setup:   undergrove, front suspension

Submitted by Old Dog a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2000

Strengths:    Top notch components...killer deal

Weaknesses:    Cheesy seat post!

Bottom Line:
This bike is sweet...at 22 lbs off the shelf you won't find a better riding bike for under $3000...its fast and responsive. This thing climbs like hell even with my fat arse on it. The XTR groupe is silky smooth.

Perfect setup for XC. What a steel if you can still find one (at Supergo)

This bike takes it to the next level!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Similar Products Used:   AMP

Bike Setup:   XTR, Cross Max, SID XC, Lots of TI

Submitted by Reg a Cross-Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2000

Strengths:
Great Frame
Great Components
Great Price!! (Supergo)

Bottom Line:
This bike rides like a dream. It's light, it's nimble, it climbs like a mountain goat on speed. I am very pleased with the overall performance. I hate that Mongoose shot themselves in the foot with small bike shops, but I am enjoying the drastic price cut on this fine TI bike. Buy one before they are all gone! It is a fine TI bike.

Anywhere I can ride

3 months

I like the Litespeeds, but I had to pass them up in favor of the great deal on this bike!

Full XTR
SID XC

Submitted by Peter a Cross-Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Strengths:
nice finish

Weaknesses:
don't know yet

Bottom Line:
After I got frame, I found that headset would not slide all the way in head tube. I tried some old Ritchey head set and same thing. Bike shop sent it back to Mongoose. After waiting for more than one month, I've started to regret that I bought it. I wanted to save few hundred bucks over Litespeed. I don't know what happens if I need it fixed later on. I was told that Mongoose service/customer support is dead last in industry. I will post more when I get my frame back.

less than 1 month

nothing close

Race face tema SL, SX-Ti, XT/XTR

Submitted by Amar a Weekend Warrior from Amar Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 21, 1999

Strengths:
Expensive @ $150.00 @ Wal-Mart

Weaknesses:
It was missing a pedal so it was kind of hard to ride.

Bottom Line:
This bike was not very much fun, the saddle broke off and the pipe that sticks out of the frame to hold the seat there stuck up my A**. The people at Wal Mart were very understanding though, they even still had the frorlift out from there last customer to pick my severed 450lb A** off of the floor. 10 stars for the folks at walmart, 0 for mongoose Average = 5

Gomers Lover

tested or demo'ed only

Huffy FireTrail
Murray Hurricane

Stock--I just rode it around in the store.

Submitted by kb a Racer from co

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1999

Strengths:
no better components on the earth.
ride and feel of ti but not the cost of gold.
frame guaranteed forever!!

Weaknesses:
people only think moots can make a good ti bike

Bottom Line:
supergo has just a killer deal on this bike

colorado trail near lost creek

last 3 were zaskar le's

full xtr sid oem red 80mm
ti bar, stem, saddle,
crossmax

Submitted by KENNY a Racer from RIVERSIDE,CA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
QUALITY,LIGHT WEIGHT

Weaknesses:
BIKE DEALERS FROWN UPON MONGOOSE.

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE RIDES ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS IT IS SUPER LIGHT AND CLIMBS XLNT,MINIMAL FLEX, I USED TO RIDE A CAAD 4 F 3000 AND THE RIDE WAS HARSH,THIS RIDES XLNT,MONGOOSE YOU DID A KILLER JOB ON THIS BIKE NOW IF YOU WOULD JUST GET YOUR ASS OUT OF WAL MART AND HELP THE L.B.D !!!

chino hills ,ca