Merlin 2001 XLM Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Dominic LaRoche a Racer from Kensington MD USA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Strengths:    Best bike I have ever ridden! Climbs like a goat and fast on the descents. Takes big drops that I would be afraid to try on an equivalent aluminum hard tail. I have raced on, commuted on, and generally abused this bike for over five years with not a single complaint. I even knocked the bike off my roof rack a year after I bought it.

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny if you you love hardtails and you want to make a life long investment in a no gimicks sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Cathedral Rock, Sedona

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stumpjumper S works, Lite speed, giant xtc

Bike Setup:   xt/xtr, mavic 517's,

Submitted by Mark a Racer from Atlanta,GA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
This is my dreambike! I have nothing bad to say about this bike. It's light (21.7 lbs), fast, and very responsive. It is a thing of beauty. This bike is made to race. I would recommend this frame to anyone willing to make the investment. I've heard this frame feels "squirrely" to someone that weighs a little more (I weigh 158), but it is perfect for me. I would recommend the Mountain frame to someone heavier if you're interested in a Merlin hardtail. Either way, you can't go wrong!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail @ Tsali

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Unicoi

Bike Setup:   2001 Rock Shox Sid SL, Full XTR drivetrain, Avid Single Digit Ti brakeset, Mavic Crossmax wheelset, Easton CT2 bar and seatpost, Time pedals, Thomson stem, Chris King headset