Merlin 2001 Iliad Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Chattanooga,TN USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Strengths:    Smooth ride (for a hardtail), excilent handling

Weaknesses:    has a tendency to creak a bit ( but it is Ti) but if you keep it well greased, it usually solves the problem.

Bottom Line:
Most likely my ideal XC Bike.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Slick Rock

Purchased At:   River City Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   2001 Schwinn Homegrown Factory

Bike Setup:   XT, XTR, Avid SD7 levers, Sid World Cup, Chris King, Cross Max, Fizik Gobi Saddle

Submitted by Luis Salvador a Cross Country Rider from Sevilla, España

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2002

Strengths:    Ligereza, absorción, belleza, carisma, elegancia

Weaknesses:    Nada

Bottom Line:
Ligereza...uahhh, se va de las manos. Me da mucha comodidad y realmente lo noto comparado con otras bicis rígidas. y cómo no, es lo más bonito que he montado en mi vida.

Purchased At:   Human Cicles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 970 true temper

Bike Setup:   Use alien, XTR, FSA Carbon Pro, Easton, Sid World Cup, SLR, Crossmax SL, Avid Ultimate.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from austin

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Superior craftsmanship, light weight, excellent handling and climbing feel.

Weaknesses:    None so far, though many may feel the cost prohibitive. Well, I guess I have (had) a bone w/ the crappy Hutchison Mosquito tires - they pretty much suck for the rides I do.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is once I really got fitted and comfy on this bike and took it on the trail I fell in love. It reminded me of the first time I drove a BMW. After riding the Giant for 3 or 4 years I thought it might take me awhile to adjust to this bike. Wrong. It handles tight and crisp and climbs like a billy goat. On short, technical, rocky climbs where in the past I would gear down and grind I now sprint up with a change in gears largely unnecessary. I normally would not have spent this much on a bike but it was on closeout for approx. $1,000 off original cost. I cannot wait to ride this bike more. I can only hope to one day be worthy of its greatness.:)

Favorite Trail:   Emma Long aka CP Motocross trails

Purchased At:   cycle 360

Similar Products Used:   I also ride a '99 Giant XTC-DS1 (pre NRS) w/ Avids.

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Mavic 517's, Manitou Mars Elite, Thomson stem/seatpost, Time ATACs, Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am.