Litespeed 2001 Toccoa Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Ykbiker

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, comfortable, stiff and compliant

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame about five years ago. When I got it it was already well used. It was painted and paint was chipped and worn all over. I stripped and reprinted it. Put decent used components on it, and starting riding this thing as my main everyday bike. I ride this everyday all over town as my main transportation. I put between 70 and 140km on it per week, summer and winter, in temperatures between 30c and -40c. This thing can take punishment and heavy use. What a tank, a very light tank. I don't think litespeed is quite the company it was 10 years ago. I have owned some of there newer stuff, and the quality isn't quite the same. But the older frames are a joy to own.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Medina, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Light light light. Built and welded by a phat god.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a racer that would be problem free, and would last through any abuse. this is my 3rd Litespeed, and they have yet to let me down. 2001 was the last year for the Toccoa, and I was very happy to see it came equipped to handle disc setup the the disc tap available from Litespeed.

Favorite Trail:   The Knob

Similar Products Used:   litespeed obed, litespeed occoe

Bike Setup:   2003 xtr, easton carbon bar and post, litespeed stem, king headset and disc wheels, mavic 3.1 tubeless rims, hayes disc, race face turbine lp crankset w/ raceface ti bb, eggbeater pedals,

Submitted by mauro from san francisco

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    Awesome frame- very stiff & responsive. Swift climber and controlled on the downhills.

Weaknesses:    None, esp. at sub-$1,000

Bottom Line:
Great bike. If you love mountain biking and don't mind the cost (or find a great deal), definitely try this one out. And if you have to hit some pavement to get to the trails (which I hate doing), this bike makes it painless. I can't say enough good things about it. The only problem is that it's tough to test ride one. I followed another reviewer's advice and picked this one up online. Best purchase I've ever made.

Purchased At:   eBay

Grips: Ritchey
Pedals: ATAC Carbon

Submitted by kiko toying a Weekend Warrior from chi town USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    This bike rules lightweight,fast but forgiving it's titanium it's built forever

Weaknesses:    none it's a litespeed although very pricey

Bottom Line:
If you want a bike which is wickedly light and fast this is it weight weenies under 20 easy with the right upgrades

Favorite Trail:   can't tell

Similar Products Used:   litespeed tanasi 2000

Bike Setup:   full xtr,raceface next and BB,chris king hubs and hs,ibis ti stem,litespeed ti seatpost,litespeed ti handlebar,ergo bar ends,eggbeaters,slr phyton,kenda klimax lites,sid xc fork 2000

Submitted by Jeff B. a Racer from Hattiesburg, MS

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent climber, quick turning bike. The bike is very fast and very light. And Ti will last forever.

Weaknesses:    Decals come off easy. But who buys this for the decals. Litespeed will send you replacements anyway.

Bottom Line:
For what I paid for the bike when it was less than a year old it was a hell of a deal. I raced on it all season and I know I made up time climbing on this thing. It is very light and very responsive. And I know litespeed doesn't make this particular model anymore but if you see one online somewhere pick it up.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Highly Modified 1997 Trek 930(steel), Trek 8500

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, XT crankset, Thomson post & stem, Easton carbon bar, Cane Creek headset & WAM wheels, Gore-tex cables

Submitted by Gilbert a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    Versitile, nimble and smooth. Climbs with ease and descends with total control and quick

Weaknesses:    Hard to find any real weaknesses that ould turn anyone away.

Bottom Line:
This bike rides like the wind, smooth and quick. Climbing is easy and powerful with the light weight frame and quality components. Downhill it handles like a fox and rides the bumps very well, always keeping in control. I used to ride a Trek carbon and it is stiff and hard on bumps. This bike is masterfully made and the titanium craftmanship makes all the difference. This is a great bike and might be the best hardtail I've ever ridden. Go get one!! You won't regret it. I didn't!

Favorite Trail:   Oakland Hills X/C

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Trek Carbon, Santa Cruz Lite Speed

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Mavic 517 wheel set, Thompson stem and seatpost, Chris King headset, Easton carbon handelbars,

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2002

Strengths:    Fantastic climber, really responsive and super supple on the technical stuff.

Weaknesses:    Had some chain suck but after I adjusted my front derailleur it seemed to have been resolved.

Bottom Line:
May people I see in the bay area on litespeeds are fat, old, people who were going through a mid life crisis so they decided to drop 3500 on a mountain they will most likely never ride. Don't get duped by the bad press, this bike rocks and just gets better each you go out.

Although its been already said, don't buy this bike if you are not going to ride,

Favorite Trail:   skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar 2 +, Santa Cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Psylo, Mavic 517's, all XT

Submitted by Josh a Racer from Knoxville

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    Amazing ride quality for a hardtail, without being flexy like some other Ti bikes. No paint to scratch, Handmade in Tennessee.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, decals chip, Litespeeds common for expensive Ti bikes

Bottom Line:
Worth the $$ if any bike is worth what this thing costs. I got a great deal from Mark at Murfreesboro Outdoor and Bicycle. Amazing ride quality with no noticable sacrifice in stiffness compared to other hardtails. When I have a bad day I can't blame the bike. I have ridden it in a wide variety of conditions (including out west) and it seems to ride great everywhere. I rarely keep bikes for very long, and I've had this a year and a half and can't see myself replacing it anytime soon. That is probably the best comment I can make. Because of the ride quality of this bike and the simplicity of a hardtail, short travel suspension bikes don't really appeal to me anymore.

Favorite Trail:   Lone Mountain

Purchased At:   Murfreesboro Outdoor and Bike

Similar Products Used:   owned 2 full suspension, steel Specialized, M2 Specialized, currently have a steel singlespeed. Ridden Dean ti, Cannondale, Schwinn Homegrown, Klein Attitude.

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR, Hugi 240 wheelset, Mars Carbon, Thompson seatpost and stem, Time ATAC carbon pedals.

Submitted by Bill C. a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Strengths:    Impeccable build, ti dampening, indestructible, climbing monster

Bottom Line:
After one year and over 1000 miles I can only say that this bike is a bargain given the performance and durability. I have ridden XC, climbed technical mountain singletrack in Pisgah, bombed downhills along with the FS riders, and couldn't be happier. This bike climbs like a mountain goat, putting every ounce of energy to the rear wheel. I am a 44 year old, 195 pound rider who was suffering from the hammering of my aluminum hardtail, and I love the dampening effect of the Ti. The workmanship on this bike is perfect, it is like an industrial work of art. It has cartwheeled down 35' inclines after I have crashed and shows no signs of any wear or damage. It absolutely carves technical singletrack at insane speeds. It launches jumps like a billy goat. It is confidence inspiring to ride. The worst thing I can about this bike is that it has seen the decals get scratched partly off. Litespeed is the perfect example of the old adage: You get what you pay for!

Favorite Trail:   Dupont State Forest currently