Litespeed 2001 Tanasi Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Angos bronx from brainwashedmind@yahoo.com

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2002

Strengths:    It's gotta to be the 6/4 ti frame and the lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:    price, the 6/4 frame still cost me a lot even when it was on sale.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fast. Feels faster than 3/2 ti. I don't see any reason to ride anything else for now. It's even faster in the road. I like to ride singletrack and I think this is the perfect steed for it. I wouldn't have to wonder when I get beat by the other guy, it wouldn't be because of the bike.

Purchased At:   hi tech bikes

Similar Products Used:   Merlin Fat Ti and tuscany (road).

Bike Setup:   complete xt with moots st/seatpost, handlebar and stem. sid carbon.

Submitted by Nathan Kofahl a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Strengths:    So lite... really quite awesome

Weaknesses:    So expensive...

Bottom Line:
Well, I am now at about the 3 month point on this bike (see my review under the 2000 tanisi) and its is still giving me grins every time I clip in and start to ride. I had a chance to ride down in southern New Mexico a few weeks ago, and there was this nice long 4wd road that climbs up a few thousand feet to the top of a pass. It is super rough for a climb that is this long, and has very few places where you can sort of rest between sections of the climb. It turned out to be about a 45 minute ride to the top. This bike was just so smooth over the rough stuff, and the UST tires had awesome traction! It made my job super easy, as I just stayed in the saddle and spun my way to the top. It was really quite an experience. I know that I would have not made that climb on my yeti. It is does not have the traction or the poise of this bike. When we got to the top, we talked for a few minutes, enjoyed the view and headed for home (same way down as up). I went all out on the downhill... 3 and 1/2 minutes later, we were at the bottom. The bike soaked up big bumps very well, and more importantly tracked exactly where I wanted it to go. It was an awesome ride!

If you get the chance, I highly recommend getting on one of these bikes.

-Nathan

Favorite Trail:   10K sandia

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Yeti ARC, Waterford,

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, SID SL, King head set, and Mavic UST crossmax wheels

Submitted by Davide Gai from Lugano, TI Switzerland

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    Rigid, yet vibrations are dampened, light, highest quality, unique

Weaknesses:    carbon is still lighter, very expensive

Bottom Line:
The Alpine region where I ride if full of steep climbs, with altitude changes that can be greater that 7000 feet. However single tracks abound, so one has to find the perfect compromise between weight, rigidity and vibration damping features of the bike.

My previous bikes were a 2000 Trek Pro 9.8, which was an excellent climber and very responsive, but was lacking in vibration absorption features (probably due to the light but not too effective Rokshox Race fork), and a 2001 Cannondale Raven 4000, which was far too heavy and lacked rigidity. Both bikes are reviewed on MTBR.COM.

After riding the bike for 50 miles in various terrains, I must report that I probably found the best of both worlds. The Tanasi is almost as stiff as the Trek, and climbs almost as well, but it absorbs vibrations very effectively, with the contribution of the Mantou fork, which is in my opinion far superior to the Rockshocx, and certainly worth the 200 grams weight difference. The tubeless tires give also a significant contribution.

In an ideal climb race between the Trek and the Litespeed, the former has a slight advantage as long as the road is paved or asphalted, which immediately turns into a disadvantage as soon as one hits the dirt of the trailhead.

One more point: one does not know what quality means until one has caressed the wonderfully shaped tubes of a Tanasi bike. One slight minus: the decals look cheap and old fashioned.

This is a preliminary review but I wanted to share my thoughts about this wonderful bike which should be complemented by the best possible components for set-up.

PS: final weight with the above parts was 10.9 Kilograms: does anybody have any suggestions about shaving some, without junking the disc brakes, since I am a 220 pun rider?

Favorite Trail:   Passo dell'Uomo