Litespeed 2000 Tanasi Hardtail Bike

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 20.00000 MSRP : $4975.00

mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano XTR components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by E S a Cross Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight. Stable and predictable handling. Climbs very well.

Weaknesses:    Flexy rear seatstays, Litespeed manufacturing (frame was mis-aligned from the factory)

Bottom Line:
Overall, the bike rides well. It is predicatble and stable in all riding environments from Coast to Coast.

Two major problems. First, the frame was sent to me directly from Litespeed misaligned! The rear triangle was off by almost a centimeter! Totally unacceptable! I had to send the bike bike during the middle of the season. Second, Litespeed customer service was horrid. I sent my bike back late July and didn't see it again till March of the next calendar year! They get giving me some line or another and even my trusted IBD couldn't get them to return it sooner!

If your going to spend an pile of money for a frame, do yourself a favor and order a Seven. It will be a fully custom frame built to your specifications, body, and riding style. I am ordering mine as soon as possible.

Favorite Trail:   Little Bear, Flagstaff, AZ

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Deerfield Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Ti mojo

Bike Setup:   Thompson stem and post, XTR v-brakes and levers, Sram shifters, Race Face compact crank and rings, Phil Wood Mag-ti bttm bracket, Xtr F/R der., Mavic x517 Rims, DT Revolution spokes, Chris King Wheel Set, Easton Bar, Ritchey Grips, Hopey Steeing Dampner, Selle Flight Ti saddle, Maxxis Tires and Tubes

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    Everything that is expected at this price.Sizing ,craftmanship/design, finish,ride quality,durabilty etc.

Weaknesses:    Head badge fell off while cleaning. A little glue solved that problem.

Bottom Line:
This review has been brewing since the first ride.First impressions were great but I wanted it to sink in for a while before I splattered my thoughts. This bike shines where ever I ride. East coast (mid atlantic), West coast
(Bay area), Downieville Dh run,Tahoe Flume trail.Simply put,
it climbs with ease and inspires you with confidence to take on the nastiest of technical descents.
This bike not only goes where you look but where you think.
Hops higher than any frame I've ridden and is excellent at log crossing to boot.
Bottom line .... I'm a better rider.No dents or dings after doing (and not always cleaning) stuff that was out off reach
before.This frame is for anyone that is ready for the next and final level(to date)of hardtail performance.

Favorite Trail:   Warren Loop/Wicked Beaver

Purchased At:   Hi Tech Bikes

Similar Products Used:   No Ti's but Klein Attitude and Kona Explosif

Bike Setup:   Sid SL ,XTR, Dave's Speed Dream Wheels,Syncros Ti Post, Easton Carbon Lo rise bar.

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Loveland

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Strengths:    Sick light, wicked fast and smooth like buttah.

Weaknesses:    Ain't cheap-obviously. Also,is not a full suspension-obviously.

Bottom Line:
To say the Tanasi is light, quick, smooth and beautiful is redundant. You expect perfection for the kind of change you drop on one. What I didn't expect is that for that price tag you also get a huge chunk of confidence. My riding has gone from mediocre to meteoric in the three months I've owned this bike. Today, I set a wicked pace on a fifteen mile ride in Horsetooth Mountain park and still had the gas to smoke a roadie on the final climb back to the parking lot. A new world for me.

You may say to yourself "Yeah sure Tony, but do you REALLY think it's worth an extra grand over the next best Litespeed?"

You can ask yourself that question a lot when you ride an inferior bike. But I will never again have to wonder if I have the finest, fastest smoothest hard-tail ever made. To me that feeling is priceless-to buy it for a thousand bucks is a steal.

Bottom line-if you are good rider and you feel the need (the need for speed), if you want to accelerate up climbs that used to make you whimper, if you want to surgically dissect technical downhills that used to give you nightmares. If you want to ride better, and with more confidence than you ever thought you would.... then plot your coordinates, mortgage your house, sell your children and make the jump to Litespeed.

Sincerely submitted,

Tony

Favorite Trail:   The 401 at Crusty Butt

Purchased At:   MTBR baby

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar LE, Moots YBB, Lots of Huffies

Bike Setup:   SID Race, XTR, Cane Creek WAMs

Submitted by Nathan Kofahl a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2001

Strengths:    Wow, this is an awesome peice of gear. Its light, fast and has just enough give in the frame to help float over bumps. With UST wheels its very plush for a hard tail. It climbs well and the rear end seems to bite, but it takes a bit more skill to make it work than say one of the lighter XC full suspension bikes.

Weaknesses:    Cost is a huge one, and fear is the other. You have a frame this light, and you end up being fearfull of dumping it in a crash. I dont think crashing will hurt it, as i am sure it is VERY strong, but it is a nasty thought all the same.

Bottom Line:
I would have never purchased this bike myself, as i could not justify spending this kind of money on a bike, and i had already built an awesome bike. As stated above i used to work for a shop in Kansas City, MO. Right before i left i built up Yeti Arc (pre schwinn changes to the frame). I built up some nice handbuilt wheels (im the wheelsmith here)and everything XTR. It was a sweet ride, and i thought i would take it to my grave. I loved that bike, but some jerk stole it from my second floor apt building. Anyway... nice fat check and i bought a Lightspeed. So far... I love it. It rides so smooth and fast. I love this bike. I just hope it holds up as well as my ARC did.

-Nathan

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   I used to work for a shop in Kansas City, MO... I have had time on lots of other bikes, though none quite like this. I raced a schwinn homegrown, full suspension homegrown, and my last bike a very trick Yeti ARC

Bike Setup:   Sid Race, Full XTR with King head set, Mavic UST crosmax wheels

Submitted by Mike Mapston a Cross Country Rider from Bath, England

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent quality, superb welding and very stiff where it counts but flexible at the same time.

Weaknesses:    Obviously price is a weakness, but you only live once! - The way I'm riding this bike at the moment, it may not be for long. - The bike encourages fast riding over difficult terrain.

Bottom Line:
I don't think I can justify the price, the ride quality is good but not that much better than the TREK. However, I get annoyed by scratches and the Titanium cleans so easily that I am sure I will appreciate it more as time passes. - Also, friends that have ridden Ti before, says if I enjoy the ride in the crappy conditions that I have ridden so far, I am going to love it when the sun eventually shines and I can hit the summer single track.

Favorite Trail:   anything scarey

Purchased At:   American Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Last bike was a year 2000 TREK OCLV 8.8 CARBON. - This bike was lighter and stiffer than the Tanasi, and climbed well. But not as well as the Tanasi on loose material. The extra flex in the rear triangle enables the bike to "bite" into the ground under power, whereas, the OCLV just slid!

Bike Setup:   XTR groupset, Easton Monkeylite riser bar, seat post and stem. Rolf Propel wheels, Chris King headset

Submitted by Craig Erion a Weekend Warrior from Santa Ana, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, vibrant ride, beauty to behold and proud to own.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmmmmm...

Bottom Line:
What a wonderful machine. I've logged about 350 miles todate and can't get enough seat time. The titanium frame is masterful and contributes to a truly amazing ride quality. Sure it's expensive but so what. Like another reviewer said here, life is short, so enjoy the best that you can afford.

Favorite Trail:   Orange County back country

Purchased At:   Colorado

Similar Products Used:   Chromoly and aluminum hard tails.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, SID Race, Mavic CrossMax tubeless wheels, Easton carbon seat post and Monkey bars, King Headset (and cage!)

Submitted by Dylan a Racer from Kentucky

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2000

Strengths:    Craftsmanship is unbelievable. I was amazed as soon as I pulled the frame from the box. The ride is amazing. The full 6/4 ti soaks up just enough of the rough stuff but still climbs extremely aggressive. Light, I ride the 20" frame and it still weighs just a bit over 3 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Price - but, you do get what you pay for. I've noticed that my stickers on the downtube look as if they may have cracks in them. I don't know if this is from the flexing of the frame or what. It doesn't feel flexy but I don't know how else this would have happened.

Bottom Line:
If you don't mind the price tag, this has to be one the ultimate hardtail. I've always heard that titanium was magic but I would have never thought it was as great as it is. If you ever get the opportunity to ride or race on a Tanasi, give it a shot. You won't be disappointed!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere but pavement!

Purchased At:   Litespeed

Similar Products Used:   Have ridden steel, aluminum, and carbon but never had any other ti bike.

Bike Setup:   Tanasi, Sid Race, Chris King, full XTR, Kore stem & post, Valiant Rims with Marwi ti spokes, Ritchey tires.

Submitted by Raymond Namin a Cross Country Rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Strengths:    6al-4v Titanium makes for a light, strong bike that with an amazing ride.

Bottom Line:
I wanted to buy my last bike - first. I had it narrowed down to three - a Moots YBB, Seven Sola or Litespeed Tanasi. I chose the Tanasi and love it. I have to admit you can't go wrong with any of the three choices and all have amazing rides and personal preference in different areas like geometry, ti (6/4 or 3/2.5) and other factors finally influenced my choice.
The bike climbs and sprints agressively fast.
I would still like to get a soft-tail ti bike next though. Maybe the YBB-Air next year.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Moots LaidBack seatpost, Hayes Disk Brakes, Mavic Crossmax Disk Wheelset, SID Race, Selle Italia, Panaracer Fire XC-Pro

Submitted by StealthRider a Cross Country Rider from New York, New York

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2000

Strengths:    Construction, ride quality, lightness (16" frame = 3.0 lbs), toughness

Weaknesses:    Mucho dinero

Bottom Line:
This is a followup posting on this bike after several hundred miles and a few wicked crashes. The bike continues to impress, rides great, and gives a smooth and resilient ride. Importantly, this bike is really tough! I've had a few nasty spills on some rock infested trails (completely fault of rider), but fortunately the frame remains unscarred except for some scuffed up decals. The 6-4 titanium really holds up! I should be so lucky -- I now have a floating bone chip in my elbow as a lasting reminder of my last crash.

Submitted by Clark Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2000

Strengths:    The best hardtail ride on this planet!

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
Litespeed's designs and R&D have definitely paid off in an amazing product. The enhanced geometry translates to a very responsive ride. It has become an extension of myself. I'm very happy with my purchase and that's really the bottom line.

Similar Products Used:   my Moots Rigor Mootis - another one of the best.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, SID Race, Moots Laidback Ti Seatpost, Chris King Headset, Mavic 517 Rims etc.

Submitted by StealthRider a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Strengths:    Unbelievably light, beautiful welds, coldworked and shaped tubes, outstanding acceleration, smoothness, quick handling, stability and comfort

Weaknesses:    Price $$$$$; waiting time to receive it since no one -- not even Litespeed apparently -- keeps these frames in stock.

Bottom Line:
Splurged big time for what is clearly the ultimate hardtail. For close to $5,000, you get what is essentially a flawless machine. After riding it about 15 times and for about 100+ miles, I find the acceleration is unbelievable; this bike is not ounces, but pounds lighter than other hardtails, while giving one the impression of total solidity due to its being the only pure 6-4 titanium mountain bike made. The ride quality is smooth and lively, and the handling is quick without ever being twitchy. The pictures of this bike do not do it justice. The subtly shaped triangular top tube, squared downtube, gorgeous S-bend seatstays and chainstays, flawless welds, combined with the subdued lustre of titanium make this the most beautiful bike I have ever seen. The problem with this bike is that its performance and durability come at a price beyond that of most mortals and that buying one risks marital harmony should your credit card statement be discovered. Another problem is that this bike draws stares from everyone; you can't leave Litespeed's top of the line bike anywhere and your LBS will be warning you that you risk personal assault riding this thing out in public.

Is this bike, at close to $5,000, twice as good as the a top quality $2,500 hardtail? Obviously not, given the high quality of such bikes. But such a valuation completely misses the point of getting this bike. One doesn't get a bike like this for value -- increases in quality never keep up with increases in cost for top quality gear. This bike is for those who want the absolute, very best, and are willing to pay for it. If you have the money to burn and realize that life is short, I say go for it.