Litespeed 2000 Owl Hollow Hardtail Bike

Weight : 22.50000 MSRP : $3475.00

mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, wonderful ride, much coveted especially in this part of the world

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
I am constantly impressed with the smooth ride, even my riding buddy comments on this,it needs some sids to get weight down to 22lbs,slices up single track nicely. Primary reason for getting this bike was to improve my XC racing times, I am looking forward to next season.

Similar Products Used:   specialised m4 hardtail

Bike Setup:   Mavic 618, Ti hubs,Larsen Mimo 1.9,full Xt with hollowtech splinedBB, Bombers MXc ECC, risers

Submitted by Jack Powless a Racer from Roseville,Ca., USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2002

Strengths:    Laterally stiff , vertically compliant. Chainstays/bottom bracket are stiff so everything you put into it, you get back out of it.
Front end is stiff so you don’t get that flexy feel when sprinting hard out of the saddle, provided your using a good
stiff stem.

Weaknesses:    "0"

Bottom Line:
The bike handles/rides better than any other bike I've ridden. I think anybody wanting the best should buy one of these, if you can find it, if not Litespeed said they can custom build it. I only paid $1,400 for it but it's worth five bills easely. I don't understand why Litespeed stopped making this frame. I talked to them and they told me no specific reason, brain fart I guess. Maybe the size of the 6/4 down tube scared people off and effected sales??
The bike gets five hot hard ones from me.

Purchased At:   MTBR classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn "Homegrown Factory" doesn't compare.

Bike Setup:   SID SL fork, XTR 9spd complete, Spinergy SPOX wheels, KORE stem, Easton CT2 flat bars, King Ti AHEADSET, USE suspension post, SDG S7000 Ti saddle.

Submitted by BS a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff where it needs to be yet very forgiving on the trail.

Bottom Line:
The best frame I ever owned. I just bought an Idrive team and that bike just sits in the closet collecting dust. I am much faster on the Owl Hollow- Hardtails still rule.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   King Disc, Sid Race.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Pembroke

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight, nimble on any terrain. Terrific climbing machine. If looks are your thing, yeah, it's beautiful too.

Weaknesses:    As stated below, hate to leave it anywhere. I also use it to pull my daughter around in a Burley, so sometimes I find myself leaving it for short periods ( ya know, the ice cream stand, CVS and other assorted errands). Off road, in more than 10 months, the rider is the only weakness I can think of.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, this is an excellent bike and for the close-out price, it can't be beat. I am a 40-something rider who has other responsibilities, so I don't get out as much as I would like, but having this bike waiting downstairs inspires me to get out and ride. It is easy on the old bones and just handles every condition so well. Litespeed, for some reason, decided to discontinue the Owl Hollow frame in '01, replacing it with a freeride bike(!), so I guess finding one at this point is practically impossible. If you can find one, buy it, because you will see that what I, and the others before me, are talking about. This bike has it all; workmanship, looks, acceleration, climbing ability, downhill control and comfort, just an all-round excellent hardtail. I give it 5 enchiladas for value and overall ride quality.

Favorite Trail:   Hare 'n Hound

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Ascent: Similar? Hardly, but I got my start in this great sport on it; Kona Kilauea: excellent overall machine. Rode it happily for 6 years.

Bike Setup:   I bought this bike on close-out and it came with all XT components and a Rock Shox Sid XC with Hutchinson Mosquito tires. I put a Ritchey Mega-bite on back and a V-Raptor on front. The Mosquito's were no good in the northeast. I also added the infamous Shimano 858's.

Submitted by EsHan13 a Weekend Warrior from Westwood, CA, USA!!

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is gorgeous, perfect welds, absorbs the bumps well for a super-smooth ride, not at all heavy with the right components so you really catch some speed. And best of all, hand made in the good ole' U.S of A! Superb quality and an awesome ride all the time no matter the trail. I'm keeping this baby forever.

Weaknesses:    No matter how much you're tempted, you just can't take it to the corner market due to paranoia of having it stolen. Plus, it'll have you neglecting all your other bikes and perhaps even your car. Maybe I need a nicer car though.:) Also, I don't like the Shimano XT front brakes due to squealing and I need a slightly longer stem. Just personal preferences really, not really a weakness in the bike.

Bottom Line:
Man, words can't explain how great it is to ride this titanium masterpiece. My old aluminum GT just can't compare and I'm ruined from riding any other bike. You just don't know what you're missing out on if you haven't rode titanium, it really is a "magic" metal and every biker should have the pleasure to own one. Live a little and spoil yourself and buy one!
Being 5'9" and 150 pounds, the 18" fits me great and I notice no flex what so ever. That's probably due to the big 2" down tube, it really gives a sweet ride. It's also pretty light in weight so you really accelerate fast and climbing a steep hill is really a breeze. You may find yourself in a gear or two higher than you're use to it's so effortless. It's just the best ride you'll ever get, words are just inadequate to describe it.
Best of all, I got mine for only $2000 fully loaded from a closeout deal in 2001, so I can't really complain about the price. I was looking for a new, more competitive bike when I saw the sale and figured, "why go aluminum or steel when you can go titanium?" Now she's mine and my credit card is nearly paid off!:) I recommend to anyone else looking for a Litespeed to do the same thing, wait till the end of the year and get a rock bottom price but only if they have your size of course. It's a matter of luck I guess, but you never know. Would I have still bought it if it were retail priced? Heck yeah, it really is that good. You just can't go wrong with the Litespeed Owl Hollow. It simply rules.

Favorite Trail:   P.V, & Kenter Coaster

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nothing in the same caliber, but my "commuter" bike is now a 1999 GT Backwoods.

Bike Setup:   18" Frame, Rock Shox Sid XC, All Shimano XT components, Mavic X517 wheels, Control Tech stem and seatpost, Fizik Nisene seat, Easton EA70 bar with Onza bar ends, IRC Mythos XC 2.1s, Shimano PD-M536 pedals. A lean mean riding machine.

Submitted by Ned Hogan from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2001

Strengths:    I love the way this bike climbs and handles, it's a total "A" bike!

Weaknesses:    It would be nice if it was a pound lighter, but I really don't notice. I am 10 years older than most of my riding crew and I can keep close to the strongest riders

Bottom Line:
Climbing is a breeze with this bike, I really like the lockout on the front shock as I like to stand and strech! I gained 13 minutes on my time at the Sea Otter in 2001, and I hope to do even better next year! Handling is wonderful, no problem on technical single track. I paid a lot for this bike, but I know that I'll be able to pass it down to other generations, but I expect to be riding it for a long time. [-;

Favorite Trail:   Wilder/UCSC/Felton

Purchased At:   Sprockets

Similar Products Used:   I can't afford another TI bike! My other bike is a Santa Cruz Heckler (97)

Bike Setup:   XTR, MARS Supper with No Bob, SI TI seat, Thompson Post, Monkey Bar and TI stem, Panracer XC Fire, Frog pedals, comes in at 23.5lbs

Submitted by Sam Silver a Racer from Newton MA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    Super Rigid, Compliant Compared to Aluminum, Insane Acceleration, Comes in BIG sizes due to it's incredibly robust assembly.

Weaknesses:    Light?!? No Way, this thing's about 4 pounds. OCLV or Schwinn Homegrown Frames are a pound lighter. But the good news is you don't notice on the climbs.

Bottom Line:
I probably would have gone with the Tenasi if it came in a 22," but it didn't. But I'm not upset that I went for the Owl Hollow. It corners on rails, accelerates like a scalded dog, climbs pretty damn well, and manages to keep some of the compliency that Titanium is known for, despite it's use of the super rigid 2" 6-4 downtube. Although it's no lightweight, this frame's gonna last forever unlike my 7000 which snapped in the chainstay. And plus, you can still shave weight in the components if you REALLY need a super lightweight bike by getting Mag. Breaks and Levers, a Carbon Seatpost and bar, latex tubes, or a 100 gram all carbon saddle, all of which are things that I DON'T have on my bike and still manage to achieve a "light-enough" weight of 24 or so pounds. I just wanted to note that I'm 6 2" and weigh 150.

Favorite Trail:   It really depends on my mood...

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   I Foget. I use too many different mail order places to keep track.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000, Sprecialized FSR (both were very heavily upgraded.

Bike Setup:   XTR with XT Deraileurs (I break them too often to keep shelling out money for XTR ones) Race Face Turbine Crank, ATAC Carbon pedals, Marzocchi Z-2 Superflies, SPOX front wheel (tacoed the rear one) with a HUGI 240 laced to an X517 in the rear, Nokian Baozbeana Tires.

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Dalton, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    Super light, super strong, very responsive. BOMB PROOF

Weaknesses:    Weakness? Litespeed doesn't know the meaning of weakness.

Bottom Line:
This bike allows me to climb better than any other mountain bike I've ridden. It seems to push you up the hills and guides you down the really steep stuff. Litespeed has really out-done themselves with the Owl Hollow.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Steep