Litespeed 1999 Tellico Hardtail Bike

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

1999 Litespeed Tellico, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Tate Graves a Racer from Pine

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is just plain sweet!I have been riding and racing this bike for two full years and it has kept me upright and unscatched. This frame is light and stiff, climbs sbsolutly effertlessly. I have sent this thing flying into the woods and it always comes out perfect I've crashed it hard in the rocks with only some light marring. I'm known for flying on the decents and I still don't know if I've found the end of it's handling. I go flying into corners thinking theres no way I'm going to make it and this thing just carves it out and begs for more. I'm getting a 2001 tanasi for this season and I realy wonder if they could have improved this bike? The guy talking about the moots must have been on crack! Moots makes a sweet bike but from a stiff and light point of veiw the tellico would just put that thing to shame. I'm sure he had no problem finding someone to take it off his hands.

Weaknesses:    What weeakness? This will be the last bike you'll ever want or need, if you can find one buy it

Bottom Line:
Buy one if you can find one. lite fast and stiff, this bike will live forever and all the bikes I ride will be judged by it!

Favorite Trail:   COtrail,Jefftobreck

Purchased At:   bikeloversplace,den. CO

Similar Products Used:   I was a bike wrench so I got to ride quite a few, I had a merlin mtn from the early 90's I loved it but it was a little soft,I had the first unicoi for about 6 months before I got hooked with the tellico the uni was a peice, the thing was a total noodle it gave absolutly no confidence in the downhill,that is where I should have bought the moots ybb there truly is no substitute for that piece of art.

Bike Setup:   chris king wheels, headset, white bros ul70,sachs shifters, raceface cranks,xtr drive,titec118,post,raceface stem. 21.5 lbs

Submitted by TELLICO a Racer from Colorado

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Strengths:
Superb finishing, lightest frame money can buy.

Weaknesses:
Maybe the price, but then again..

Bottom Line:
The reviewer below obviously hasnt ridden a tellico before. Firstly, after having truelly owned and still do, both the litespped and the moots, i find the litespeed superior in more ways then one. Firstly, the stiffer ride provides for more agrressive pedalling with instant acceleration. Its feather light weight provides for excellent climbing(Quickest and most responsive climber ever) Litespeed use of 6AI-4V titanium as opposed to the industry norm 3AI-2.5v Ti shows litespeeds commitment to put this bike in a league of its own. `To be fair and not biased, this bike clearly is superior to the others in the market. So reviewers pls grow up and not slag other bikes cause you simply want their ratings to go down.

many

1 Year

Moots ti, Dean Ti, OCLV

XTR,cane creek, advocet,titec, manitou

Submitted by Paul a Cross-Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strengths:
Good bike

Weaknesses:
None really

Bottom Line:
I would have given this bike 5 chilies until I rode a freinds Moots. Whoops - purchased the wrong bike. I like the LS but the Moots if fine! 3 chilies for the LS and looking for a buyer.

6 months

Submitted by federko fuentes a Cross-Country Rider from houston,tx

Date Reviewed: June 3, 1999

Strengths:
light weight and stffness

Weaknesses:
price.

Bottom Line:
The first thing I noticed was the stiff ride and weight. I did't feel any flex, of course, I weigh in at 142lbs(62kg.) the ride was sublime and fit was similar to former OCLV trek. I have no regrets selling my two bikes for the price of my Tellico. c'ya and keep on ripping.

BLUFF CREEK RANCH warda,tx

3 months

marin team ti and trek 98 team issue OCLV

xtr,syncross revo cranks, '98 sid SL,time titan pedlles,crossmax,ti titec stem/bar combo,litespeed and or/USE XCR seatpost, and SDG american flag seat.

Submitted by harlan smart a Racer from auckland nz

Date Reviewed: April 17, 1999

Strengths:
these tubes have the outright drive transfer of good alloy with the ride of good steel
sticker on stem saying Prize Machine

Weaknesses:
NOT EVEN PRICE-THESE THINGS ARE PRICELESS

Bottom Line:
very lite stiff,durable-I am yet to lose a race and yes,I do race,evades the nz police very well

The Yellow Room

1 Year

Ti Fat Chance
Ocoee
Ibis Ti Mojo

XTR, Manitou SX Carbon, litespeed extras

Submitted by San a Racer from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1999

Strengths:
Light, Fast

Weaknesses:
None so far

Bottom Line:
I was very apprehensive after reading the reviews in the Titanium shootout. I can't get this bike to flex or shift itself out of gear. I had my friend with a small aluminum frame ride it and he could detect no flex either. I have the 19 inch frame and the biggest thing I noticed is how much better it climbed than my Obed. I am not a heavy rider (165 lbs) so I can only speak for myself. It's definately the best bike I've ever ridden.

Hino de yama