Litespeed 1999 Ocoee Hardtail Bike

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

1999 Litespeed Ocoee, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano XTR components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 4.0" travel fork

Submitted by Keeratikul Sophonsiri a Cross Country Rider from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2004

Strengths:    Good looking
good workmanship
sweet ride
soft and absorb

Weaknesses:    too soft for some cases
not as light
all 3 cable alighment those run beside the top tube is hard to adjust.

Bottom Line:
If you want to have a high end bike, buy titanium. There are not many legendary titanium frame in the market. Litespeed is one of them. This bike might not be the fastest bike, but it is one of the most enjoyable bike ever riden.

Favorite Trail:   cross country

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   canondale F3000, merlin taiga

Bike Setup:   kooka crankset, Xtr or above, xmax

Submitted by Scott James a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX.

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2003

Strengths:    magic ride of ti.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, won't have an excuse to ever buy another bike.

Bottom Line:
I know they haven't made this bike for a while, and this is a review that will probably never be read as a result. However, it's late, I'm bored, and thought this would be worth a few minutes of my time.

Bike kicks serious ass! Mine is a 97, frame still looks and rides like new, with the exception of the decals. Litespeed doesn't clear coat over the decals, so they will peel. However, that is the only thing I can complain about, so that tells you something about this amazing ride. I also own one of their Ultimate's-full Dura Ace. Litespeed is hands down the best ti value for your money. Do you know anybody who owns one who doesn't think it's the best bike they ever owned? I don't. You can spend more on Merlin, or a Seven. But all your getting are prettier welds.

After riding my first ti bike, I sold all my aluminum (2)rides. It's that much better!

Bottom line-If you have a chance to pick one of these up, do it. Ti never wears out, and will never let you down.

Similar Products Used:   Most everything

Bike Setup:   Full XTR. Nuff said

Submitted by Guy Spiher a Racer from Winston Salem

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2001

Strengths:    looks good assymetrical chainstays

Weaknesses:    Broke it after about 2 seasons Poor weld quality at head tube downtube junction I did better welds in Vo Tech weld shop

Bottom Line:
Sluggish handling Flexy rear end exorbitant price tag I can only recommend this bike for 40 year old plus wannabes Who think it looks good on top of the sport utility or beemer. NOTE>>> all Litespeed products ride the same trust me on this one. Disclaimer this does not apply to the road bike side of the product line.

Favorite Trail:   long rides

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Gunnar hardtail Schwinn Homegrown

Bike Setup:   Rocket, Sid Race, XT controls, Cross Max wheels Race face goodies Ti bar,Avid brakes Various homemade devices etc

Submitted by Bruce Donald a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2000

Strengths:    TI's ability to absorb shock
no paint to scratch
Damn fine looking
Quality material welded artistically.

Weaknesses:    A loosening of the aluminium headset cup

Bottom Line:
Super light and really heavy duty. It handles amatuer trials riding, has no respect for uphills and is so soft I have to keep checking the tires to make sure they're not flat.
People say how clean it looks, I always think it needs cleaning. Must be those chain and seat stays that I love rubbing so much.
Quality is evident throughout, unfortunately replacement parts don't come cheap here in the land of Aus, so the XTR will slowly be replaced by XT when they wear out (In another 10 years).

Similar Products Used:   some average hardtails and a proflex 950

Mavic 517CD with XTR hubs
LP Composites bar ends, Time ATAC's

Submitted by Billy Joe Smith a Racer from Tularosa, NM

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2000

Strengths:
Light weight, Plush feel

Weaknesses:
Unstable, shotty welds, poor cust. service from the company

Bottom Line:
ALthough this bike is nice and light, and it eats up the bumps nicely, this bike is plainly unstable. Cornering is scary at best, if not terrifying. I weigh 195lbs, so I'm big, but not too big, I've been through 3 of these frames within a year. Turn around time on my returns was horrible, never got responses to my emails, and was put on hold for long amount of time when I did call. I'm completely disappointed with the service I rec'd from litespeed,and with the performance of their product. Message to litespeed: You can attract customers with nice looks and solid marketing, however, you're never going to KEEP customers with bad service and inferior quality. If I could give this a negative rating I would. 1 chili

Devils Ridge

1 Year

Specialized StumpJumper, Kestrel CSX

SID SL, XTR everything, Cross Max,

Submitted by Bike Mike a Cross-Country Rider from McLean, VA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 1999

Strengths:
Light
Stiff
Absorbent
Fast
Wicked climber
Great Geometry
Well made

Weaknesses:
Nada, even the price is fine.

Bottom Line:
This bike is SWEEEEET. It corners on a dime, climbs like a mountain goat, takes the downhills as well as my old full suspension, and weighs in around 20 pounds. Certainly the last mountain bike frame I will probably purchase. I had some sticker shock and buyers remorse after ordering it, but once I rode it, that quickly disappeared. Now, I ust like to get out and ride as far and as fast as I can. And what a ride to do it on. The bike is a head turner and has made me a better rider. The titanium absorbs enough of the bumps to keep you in control and on track, but its also stiff enough to keep you nimble and in touch with the terrain. I highly recommed it. The Made in USA craftmanship is stellar. The welds are works of art. The brushed finish is easy to maintain. Did I say its really light? While I appreciated the Kleins (and lusted after them for a number of years) I was tired of riding aluminum. The other Ti's were decent bikes as well, but none rode nearly as well as the Litespeed. I actualyl demo'd an Obed, but only got the Ocoee (for the price of an Obed) when I learned that the wait on the Obed would be much longer. I took my chances on the better, stronger frame, and am smiling ever after. This bike is so great, even my wife seems to appreciate it. Gonna give it 5 chillis

Klein Adroit
Merlin
Fat City Ti
Mongoose Ti
Cannondale V's Super V's Delta V's, EST's and Hardtails
Lot of others

SID XC fork, XT Gruppo, Cane Creek headset, Salsa stem, Velociraptor Front tire, Revolt SS rear tire, Mavic Rims, Thompson seat post, flite saddle, V Brakes SPDs

Submitted by Lindsay a Cross-Country Rider from Milford

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1999

Strengths:
light, sexy

Weaknesses:
Steering is a little squirlly. This could be from the fork or rizer bar.

Bottom Line:
This bike honks. Someone stole my Shwinn Moab and I was force to upgrade what a difference! Acceleration is fantastic in tight single track. Climbs like a monkey and has more control going downhill. The only problem I have had is with over steerage while climbing. This may be due to the fork that stinks or the riser bars which came stock on the bike (Colorado cyclist).

Indian Ledge

Manitou st-ti, mavic221, mostly xt, riser bars

Submitted by EDDIE B. a Cross-Country Rider from CALIFORNIA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 1999

Strengths:
LIGHT WEIGHT, GREAT HANDLING, AND THAT TI BIKE BUMP ABSORBING RIDE

Weaknesses:
NONE FOUND SO FAR

Bottom Line:
EVERYTHING I'D READ ABOUT TI FRAMES IS TRUE. FROM THE BUMP ABSORPTION TO THE RIGID CLIMBING FEEL. THE BIKE IS A ROCKET. I THOUGHT MY OLD CARBON FRAME BIKE WAS FANTASTIC, BUT THIS TAKES THE RIDE QUALITY ONE STEP FURTHER.

ALL

less than 1 month

PREVIOUS BIKE WAS A TREK 9900

16 FRAME, MARZOCCHI SUPERFLY, CHRIS KING WHEELSET, KORE ELITE STEM, THOMPSON SEATPOST.TFI LIBERATOR SEAT,XTR EVERYTHING ELSE ( V-BRAKES, SHIFTERS, ETC...)

Submitted by Shawn a Racer from Mobile,Al

Date Reviewed: April 30, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame in late 1993 from Colorado Cyclist before, if I recall, Litespeed produced full bikes. The bike has been compleatly flawless since the day I received it. No noises, nothing. After 13,000 miles, the wheelset with only extreamly minor touch ups and 1 replaced spoke is more true than just about all of the new wheel sets that I have seen (and I worked in a bike shop for a year and a half). I have been through several hard crashes. I race as much as I can which unfortunately isn't a whole lot. Its been dropped out of a truck. The bar end pinch bolt will contact the top tube when the bars are twisted around, to demenstate it's toughness I intentionally slam the bars around into the frame, the looks I receive are fun to watch. The frame is hardly sratched from this. The chainstays have never had any protection on them to protect from a slapping chain, hardly a mark is left there too. It's as fast as you can push. The only complaint I've had is the lack of rebound dampening in the Manitou 4 on hard, bumpy climbs (just old technology). I've owned 4 other bikes during the same time that I've owned this one, all but one of them are gone. I just upgraded to XTR and a SX TI fork. The thought of replacing the frame was never a serious consideration.

more than 3 years

Then: Manitou 4 - XT
Now: Manitou SX Ti - XTR

Submitted by John a Racer from Vail, CO

Date Reviewed: April 25, 1999

Strengths:
Ti Frame, Geometry, Light, Looks Bad Ass

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This bike is unbelievable! It is the fasetest climber of any bike currently on the market! This opinion is shared by many! In addition it downhills as fast as my old full-suspention.

2 Years

Used to ride a GT Team LTS

Race ready w/ XTR and Sid

Submitted by TROND THOMSEN a Cross-Country Rider from OSLO NORWAY

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Strengths:
IT HAD SPEED AND IT WAS STIFF

Weaknesses:
NONE

Bottom Line:
THIS BIKE IS FUN. IT GOT ALL THE THINGS A CROSS-COUNTRY RIDER NEED. IF YOU GOING TO SPEND MONEY IN A BIKE THIS IS THE BIKE FOR YOU.

CANNONDALE F2000