Litespeed 1999 Obed Hardtail Bike

4.75/5 (32 Reviews)

1999 Litespeed Obed, mountain bike, front suspension, Shimano Deore XT components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by ted simmons a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, durability, incredible handling, ti ride, workmanship. You can toss this thing in a pool, wait 50 years, have your kid pull it out and it'll still be like new.

Weaknesses:    None other than decals, but who cares, they're replacable.

Bottom Line:
I normally don't write but having so much fun on this I couldn't resist. After having this for a year or two with a Marzocchi Marathon I was planning on selling it and building up a retro Salsa as a rigid 1x9. For fun I put on the Salsa Cromoto fork on the Litespeed and I'm having such a ball I'm keeping this one. My point is don't discount these older frames, this is an insane value and a dream ride. I've read elsewhere these older Litespeeds have more manipulated tuves than the newer ones and mine actually weighs less. My frame is actually a 1996, now 14 years old!

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Bontragers, bunch of Ibis's, Santa Cruz, etc.

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR 750/952, Mavic 517's, Easton carbon post and riser bar, Salsa Cromoto Fork, King headset, Titec ti stem.

Submitted by trevor a Downhiller from ca

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    Amazing ride... very lite. i love this bike it takes a hit and keeps on going. Best bike i have ever had period.

Weaknesses:    Rockshox sid was a b*%ch to rebuild no adapter to add air..
had to order new top caps w/schrader valve from jenson usa.
going to mill brackets to add disk brakes

Bottom Line:
Don't underestimate this bike. Nothing i enjoy more than passing full suspension bikers on the downhill.
If your looking for a good all around bike that is strong enough for the rigors of downhill riding this is a great choice.. i have no regrets. five chilis!

Favorite Trail:   cyrstal cove newport beach, lake taho

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky

Bike Setup:   Full xtr, rockshox sid {rebuilt):^), WTB Velociraptor Race tires {good for sand}

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Wa.

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Strengths:    The workmanship and product are excellent. After years of riding hard, it is still standing tall than the rest of my dual suspension bike. I love it so much I bought a NIota Ti.

Weaknesses:    None! Maybe the decal. But after close to 10years, I don't care... IT is cosmetic and I am not vain.

Bottom Line:
IT is still my favorite bike. I crack my Intense spider's frame twice. I rode the same trails with my hardtail OBed. Even Moab adventure every year, but my hardtail did'nt have a single crack. I used canecreek thudbuster seat. It helps for those long grueling climbs. Now, I don't have too since I got myself the big brother Niota ti. for more all mountain trail riding. I am a 200lbs. rider and titanium can handle my weight. I still lift weights and not worry about my bike too heavy for me. I need those extra muscle padding in case those gigantic trees in tne NW won't get my way, I'll just plow them over. Just kidding!!!

Favorite Trail:   Palasade mt. rainier

Purchased At:   JensenUSA

Similar Products Used:   Intense spider XVP

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR combo-components. Raceface crankset.

Submitted by sam a Racer from butler pa

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is sweet period. It rides like a dream and has amazing handling. weighs less than all my friends new bikes.

Weaknesses:    none yet.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. The Titanium frame rides like a dream. I would reccomend this bike to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   bradys run or bavington

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   cannondale killer v500, redline monocog flight, and diamonback outlook.

Bike Setup:   Full XT with botrager bars/seat, Time ATAC pedals, ritchey pro stem, mavic 220 rims, rock shox judy XC fork.

Submitted by Levi a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2005

Strengths:    The Litespeed Obed is a sweet riding bike. It is like cutting butter ride quality. Perhaps like a magic carpet ride type of thing. It really hard to explain, you just have to experience it. The frame is light weight makes a good starting point for an ultra-lighweight bike. Mine is probably sub 20Lbs which equals to climbing hills fast.

Weaknesses:    After over 10 years. None so far.

Bottom Line:
The Litespeed Obed is a one sweet riding frame/bike. It is a magic carpet ride. A good starting point for an ultra-light bike. The frame is extremely durable. The finish lasts a lifetime. Highly recommended. It is fast!

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed, XTR Hollow Tech II Crankset, XTR rear/front derailure, Paul Components Brake system, Ringle post, White Industries Ti hubs etc...

Submitted by Mel a Racer from Saskatoon

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    Great geometry! I also have the Tsali and Arenburg and they both ride awesome. A great climber and soaks up the bumps. I only weigh 135 so I can't really tell the difference between my Tsali and this frame besides the rear shock; they both feel really stiff.

Weaknesses:    Decals as usual, but get snowboard or ski savers and apply them over to protect the decals. They use the stuff on rental ski's to keep them looking like new.

Bottom Line:
Get it!

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Cannondales F700 and Team Sobe, Treks, and Scwhinn Homegrown Ltd.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, sid race, hugi hubs laced to tioga rims, Titec ti stem, handle bar and carbon bar ends, rock shox seatpost, and michelin tires.

Submitted by Rider a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet frame. Rigid enough for out of saddle sprints, compliant enough to handle the rough stuff. And light!

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
If you want to race, or ride the best hardtail there is, get a Litespeed. The Obed is a great value, and doesn't differ much from the much more expensive models in their line. The titatium finish looks great, and is so durable that after a year of riding the only thing that shows the wear are the decals.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Bike Setup:   Full XT.

Submitted by Russell from Marin, CA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Strengths:    stiff and can take a beating. handles good. fast bike no matter what, up or down hills.

Weaknesses:    sid fork. will probably switch it out for a marzocchi. although i beat the hell out of it and it has held up so far. just doesn't feel good @ any pressure. would like cables mounted on top or bottom of top tube instead of on the right side of the tube.

Bottom Line:
love the strength of the frame and the asymmetric stays. i ride it everyday, rain or shine, and it has done a good job so far. The welds are beautiful and hold extremely well. you don't need a full suspension bike to go fast down hills. with this bike just get back over the rear and steer. fast out of corners and very fast in the flats.
if you can't afford a used one now, wait until you can. but trust me, you NEED this bike...keep it in the big ring.

Favorite Trail:   anything w/ dirt

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Montare. Mongoose Ti. Giant MCM

Bike Setup:   sram 9.0 esp. rolf satellite. king headset. avid ultimate. ct2 bar. lx cranks. irc mythos

Submitted by Rob from Farmington Hills Mi

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Light, looks nice, easy to maintain rear shock

Weaknesses:    hugh head tube, had to change fork

Bottom Line:
This the full Suspenstion version of the obed, i bought it Yahoo auctions and got a great deal for 360. This is a super fast bike, easy to maintain. Looks like a hardtail, not a FS bike. Over all great!!! Comes with an AMP tail, not litespeed.

Purchased At:   Yahoo Auctions

Similar Products Used:   Specilized M2 ans FSR-1

Bike Setup:   XT drive, all else xtr...Manitou Mars C

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, great Titanium feel, supple ride, beautifully crafted piece of art. The best bike I've ever seen, owned or ridden!

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
All I can say is WOW! I thought my Klein Mantra had a sweet ride but this bike is incredible. It is so light (21 lbs.) that you practically float over terrain obstacles. And anything that is big and unavoidable, the frame gives just enough to make it feel like full-suspension! I feel like I rode downhill just as fast or even faster than on my Klein Mantra. Unreal. The back end is real predictable over obstacles. Having the bike this light also makes climbing that much easier.... if only my legs and lungs would see it that way! A full recommendation to anyone thinking about getting this bike: just do it. I got mine in perfect shape off MTBR for a steal, so look around. Looks like the Mantra is going into storage for awhile, sorry Gary!

Favorite Trail:   Stewart/Ringwood

Similar Products Used:   GT Pantera, Klein Mantra Race full-suspension

Bike Setup:   Manitou Carbon with Englund Air, Race Face NEXT cranks, rings and Ti B.B., Speedplay Ti frogs, Easton CT2 Riser Bar and Post, Grip Shift 9.0SL, Chris King Headset, Race Face SyStem, Dave's SpeedDream wheelset with King hubs, Specialized Tires

Submitted by Toby from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2000

Strengths:    Stability at speed and through rough sections. Light weight. Magic-carpet ti ride. Beautifully crafted.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding since 1990. I've had cromoly and aluminum frames. The Obed is much more stable than anything else. This bike just glides through sections that would have tossed my aluminum bike (and me) off the trail. It climbs like a goat and descends like a rocket. I used to think that the bike made no difference and had no effect on the ability of the rider. The Obed has disproved that theory because it made me better.

Favorite Trail:   Norris Watershed

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn and Redline cromoly bikes. Alpinestars Al-Mega.

Bike Setup:   Bought as frameset, built with Judy XC, Shimano XT, Mavic 517 rims.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Strengths:    sweet ti feel, geometry, weight

Weaknesses:    price? (got the frame for sweet deal from CO Cyclist)!!!

Bottom Line:
Great upgrade from Jamis cromoly frame, this bike is SWEET! It takes everything I can dish out, accelerates like a rocket, corners well, and climbs everything. I continually improve my skills and push it faster everytime I take it out. Raced it for the first time last summer, did great. Awesome value, probably the last frame I'll buy, will outlast any components you can put on it, and won't rust or fatigue.

Who should buy it? Serious XC riders looking for light and forgiving hardtail frame!!

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Similar Products Used:   '96 Jamis Aurora

Bike Setup:   XT: brakes, hubs, cranks, r.deraileur XTR: levers, f. deraileur, Marzocchi Z-4 Flylight, Core Elite stem, Mavic 517, Grip Shift 8.0, WTB Momentum HS

Submitted by Lee Nelson a Cross-Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: December 29, 1999

Strengths:
Ride quality, geometry, price, weight

Weaknesses:
None that I can find

Bottom Line:
After years of drooling over Ti and rationalizing not having a rig like this I finally got my chance. This unit is sold under the name Macalu by Excel Sports in Boulder, CO. Don't be fooled, it is an OBED with different stickers and you know this after your first ride. It is by far, the best riding bike I have ever been on. Period. (and I've ridden a lot of high buck iron). Weight is about 22.5 at 16.5 with the XTR. Not the lightest in the world, but weight can be a double edge sword. It is light enough to feel very nimble, but no so that you start to spew parts. XTR drivetrain is fantastic, though it must be kept clean and lubed. The Rock Shox post is wonderful and the Flite Gel saddle is defintely a comfortable step up. Stop wasting your time; bite the bullet and buy one. You WILL NOT be sorry.

Catawba; Charlotte

3 months

First Ti bike; have owned or ridden carbon, steel, aluminum, front only and full suspension

XTR, Z2 Superfly, Rock Shox post, Flite Gel Saddle, Crosslink wheels.

Submitted by Steve a Cross-Country Rider from Chicago

Date Reviewed: December 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light, no paint to chip, quality frame at a good price

Weaknesses:
Seat binder

Bottom Line:
After years of riding steel and aluminum I thought it was time to make the jump to the wonder metal Titanium. Several things to note. The bike is light; however, it is not much more noticibly lighter then a good Easton hardtail. Lightspeed's geometry is a little different then most companies thus prepare for a little different riding position. The beauty of the Obed is that it's a very quick bike (especially after riding a long top tube Kona for several years). The other beauty of titanium which is often overlooked is that it doesn't need paint and doesn't corrode. You don't don't feel bad hosing the thing down after a muddy ride because it doesn't rust. My only problem with the bike is that my seat binder wouldn't hold the post. I'm 190 lbs but I never had this problem before. This must be a weak link because some of the 2000 Litespeed's have a redesigned binder. I cranked the bolt down until it finally began to bend and the seatpost has held for my last several rides. Other then that don't waste your time with Airborne, Mongoose, and other low cost titanium bikes. The Obed is the same $ for an excellent bike!

Chequamegon Trails

6 months

Kona Ah-Ah, Rockhopper, Bridgestone (all hardtails)

18 Frame, Manitou SX ti, ESP 9.0 and XT mix

Submitted by Yeti Man a Cross-Country Rider from SE Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: December 26, 1999

Strengths:
Great welds, ride quality, better finish than older Obeds, ride quality.

Weaknesses:
Effective Top tube could be 3/8 or 1/2 longer. Rear end is a bit skittery in rocky sections.

Bottom Line:
I built 2 older Obed's for friends, and after riding one while on vacation I decided it was time for me to have one too (though I was torn between it and the Ibis Mojo). It doesn't look like much, but I'm in love with the ride. I find myself singing when I ride it, and i'm not sure why. It also climbs like somethings chasing it.
I still ride faster overall on my Yeti, but I enjoy myself on the Obed.

McKenzie river, Or.

3 months

96' and 97' Obeds, Zaskar, Yeti ARC, Ibis Mojo

White Bros SC-70, eclectic mix of 95' XTR and newer XT, Control Tech

1999 Litespeed Obed - Weld disc brake tabs?

Is this possible? Can I send it in to Litespeed? Does anyone know how much this operation could cost?Read More »