Kona 2001 Roast Hardtail Bike

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Evan Glynn a Downhiller from South Berwick, Me

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Strengths:    This bike is sick!!! The RaceFace crank rules! It is mad light! I beat up the frame and paint and it still looks new. Stock parts are pretty nice, but there is room for improvement. It came with Avid Arch Rival V-Brakes, which arent bad, but i soon replaces them with discs. Nice Bike.

Weaknesses:    The stock seatpost is ok, but i broke the bolt off and snapped it in half when i landed hard. Deore front derailleur must go, it skips and is bad. Avid v-brakes are nice but i would reccommend upgradingto discs. lx rear is ok, but could be better.

Bottom Line:
this bike is mad sweet for the freeride, downhill, and trials enthusiast!

Favorite Trail:   Dave's House

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Reator Dual

Bike Setup:   xt rear, avid mech. discs, z3 fork, sun ditchwitch rims, tioga tires, lots of azonic and raceface components.

Submitted by Victor a Downhiller from Arcata

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2003

Strengths:    The frame itself is solid, it's stiff and soaks all the big hits like nothing. In it's stock form it isn't that heavy, you could ride it cross country easy. Drive train is nice too, never had to replace anything on it yet. I thought the bike was set up really well. The stem doesn't feel too long or too short, same with the handle bars. The component selection is good for someone who's just getting into downhilling, small drops, and jumps. Overall it's just a really fun bike to ride.

Weaknesses:    The stock raceface bottom bracket burned out in just a few weeks, the z4 also started creak whenever I tried front end manuals. Although it doesn't effect the bike, the paint is easily chipped. Oh yeah, the stock seatpost sucks. I bent the seatpost bolt twice in two days. The seatpost clamp isn't designed too well, replace it asap! Not a compliant, but sometimes I wish this bike way made out of steel, but I guess that's why Kona made the Scab.

Bottom Line:
This bike is tough and I love it to death. I've done nose dives from 6-7 ft up, crashed, no damage, landed some 20 ft gaps bad, cased every other landing (front and rear tire) , did a front flip on a sizable tabletop and the bike just asks from more. I've down a lot of upgrades from the bike's old stock form, it's absolutely beautiful now. It's definitely heavy, but much stronger. The bike does get a lot of chain slap though. I don't know if it's me or the bike, but fast, straight, and rocky sections aren't fun on this bike. However, tight, twisty, steep(like the shore) sections are the greatest things in the world on the Roast. Jumping is also very fun, the bike does what you want it to do and gets you back to earth in one piece. Trials would also be great on this bike, but I suggest getting some hydraulic rim brakes first (w/ compatible wheels) I can't really say who this bike is for, because it can do just about everything, but my laundry. I use it for jumping, urban assualt, xc(ouch), downhilling, getting my groceries... You can set it up for everything except for a lightweight xc bike or a full blown freeride/downhill bike. In it's factory stock set up, I would suggest people who are starting to get into jumping, downhilling, and trials to go for it! As you get better the bike has tons of room to be upgraded, so it can grow with you.

Favorite Trail:   The one away from civilization

Purchased At:   Revolution Bycycle Repair

Similar Products Used:   2002 Giant Boulder, 1998 Specialized Hardrock, and Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Roast Frame, Marzocchi DJ II w/ QR 20, 321's, Xt rh, Gremeca 20mm fh, Hayes Mag Hydros 6/8, Maxxis Highrollers 2.35/2.5, Raceface Prodigy DH, Kona Jacksh!t Pedals, Titec seatpost, LX/Deore drive train, Kona DB Handlebars

Submitted by jeff a Weekend Warrior from fort collins, co, usa

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2002

Strengths:    Frame is super stiff, nice geometry on the 17', not too trials specific, works well with 5' up front and a 24' wheel in the rear, paint job is a nicew flat gray with white/black decals=sweet

Weaknesses:    paint chips easy, but so what

Bottom Line:
This frame is sweet, I needed another freeride bike after my full-suspension snapped in half, but didn't have much cash. I had worries I wouldn't be able to go as big without the suspension but I love it, and I'm going bigger with more confidence, as long as you land rear first this thing is golden, of course 5' in front helps alot too. This thing is beautiful with a 24' in the rear. It's the shi*, if you ask me!

Purchased At:   wheelworld.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized rockhopper, Haro X2 extreme

Bike Setup:   2001 Kona Roast, Foxforx Vanilla 125R , Azonic Loveseat, platform pedals,& shorty stem, RaceFace Prodigy dh cranks & low-riser bars, Atomic Trailpimps/XTdisc hubs (24r, 26f) Gazzi2.6 in rear and Motoraptor 2.4 in front, Odi lock-ons, LX drivetrain

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Bradford, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Strengths:    very strong frame and very good when turning, but the cockpit is a little long. This is a strong bike with good grip and drops well although it's missing disks. if you are the type of person that like's to do the odd jump, but still wants a XC bike this is for you.

Weaknesses:    B.B. alwayse getting loose and the tires were shot by the end of the season.

Bottom Line:
very strong frame and the best bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   Bike Sport

Similar Products Used:   Kona Chute

Bike Setup:   factory setup but looking into disks

Submitted by Jim Jordan a Downhiller from Stratford, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2001

Strengths:    Really to tell you the truth there are no strengths to this bike, just alot of headaches.
Except the frame..Oh my god is this frame strong. I hit a tree on my bike and got 18 stiches in my leg from my pedal and have a nice scar to prove it (now own roach pads and they havent failed me yet..and my name is : Sir Crash Alot)
Anyways I dented the frame on the bottom where it says "Kona" and it is still fine!

Weaknesses:    The entire bike really, Ive had trouble since the start: 1.You'll have trouble with the cranks- they'll either get loose after every ride or plan fall off (that happend to me around 10 times).
2. Then you'll have trouble with the seat- I have went through 5 different bolts in my seat.
3. Then the brakes lever will break off if u even tap a tree...luckily i got Avid to give me free ones :).
4. Then the tires are amazing at first then when your done the season you have to get new ones - my oponion get Maxxis.

Bottom Line:
The bike is amazing at first, just upgrade the cranks, tires at the end of the season, and shocks and it is tha bomb. And all of these guys saying this stuff about the rims they are fine they just probably don't land right.

My Web Page:

Favorite Trail:   Technical Esctasy

Purchased At:   McPhails

Bike Setup:   Everything the same :P except an Axiom Chainguide, stickers, new pedals, and soon to upgrade suspension to Jr.T's and new Mofo/Mobster/High Roller Tires. Oh and a roach stem pad and a lizard skin chainstay!

Submitted by Nick Payne from Ucluelet, BC

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2001

Strengths:    Everything so far.

Weaknesses:    The tires seem cheap, they are wearing out fast.
The Z.4's also have bit of flex that can get annoying.

Bottom Line:
I've only ridden on trails once with it, and the bike handles downhill's and singltrack nicely. I do lots of urban riding with it and it hasn't let me down yet. Riding down steep hills is like nothing, and it's super smooth on any drop.
Not to mention it looks fu**ing awsome!!!
I would recomend this bike to anyone looking for a good freeride hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by mike k a Downhiller from Nelson B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Strengths:    THe frame and fork are stank, the bike is built pretty well, the rims aren't to bad, the cockpit is built for all around riding, and that's about it for the up sides. oh yeah, and the rock ring is pretty sweet too. I must also say, that the z.4 marzocchi's are okay. The brakes kick but, and will save your ass too.

Weaknesses:    the drive train was pure garbage, it is noisy as heck, skips, and all of the other problems that a nine speed has. The bb keeps on getting loose,

Bottom Line:
I am sure I was just unlucky with the drivetrain, but overall, it was worth my hard earned money.

Favorite Trail:   pulmonary

Purchased At:   Gerick Cycle and sports

Bike Setup:   I run the factory setup, but that will change very very soon

Submitted by Cam Shook from Campbell River BC Canada

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't tell you about the long term strenghs of this bike being I have only had it for 2weeks but it is nice.
HArdtails with a tripla clamp and 6inhces are the perfect mountain bike. They go aaway were and do anything. Mine only weighs 33 pounds, it's a featherlite(for a freeride bike)
The way the bike it set up makes it lots of fun to ride. It's okay for DH not for racing of course. It drops very smoothly and makes XC lots of fun.I will submit another reveiw in a couple months tto tell you about the longterm strenghs

Favorite Trail:   2 SHerks or something