Kona 2001 Pahoehoe Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Richard Stevenson a Cross Country Rider from Medicine Hat, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Strengths:    The frame is amazingly light and rigid...i kitted it out with full race face and xt components, and i am adding shimano mechanical disc's to it in a month, should fix the whole "lack of breaking" problem i am having.

Weaknesses:    the frame doesnt come with caliper mounts for disc breaks but an adapter is a cheap and viable option.

Bottom Line:
The frame is an amazing piece of machinery...the components that came on the original bike were not matched with the price of the rig but if you have some extra cash lying around it is totally worth building up the frame cos you end up with a 20 pound bike.

Favorite Trail:   tight single track

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Kona caldera, specialized rockhopper A1 disc,

Bike Setup:   full race face, xt transmission, manitou x-vert front suspension ( an under rated shock and it is so cheap)

Submitted by Une a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne Victoria Australia

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Easton Frame, mad acceleration, climbs like a spider

Weaknesses:    Heavy Koski bars, soft rims, Hutchinson Mosquitos wear out in a weekend!

Bottom Line:
I almost passed this bike up when I first saw it (second hand - ex police bike) I finally caved and bought it - the best decision of my life! This bike accelerates like no other. The components work well together (XT rear, LX front)and I have had no problems even after the muddiest, longest rides. Nice and lively on the single track too. Sad to see the 2002 model was not a scratch on this one. I will keep this frame forever and just keep updating. Where to go from here if I ever write it off!!! If you can find one of these (doubtfull considering anyone that uses one will never let it go!)buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Loves track, Airey's Inlet

Purchased At:   Bike Now!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing like it as yet.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Easton monkey lites, Michelin tyres, Avid 7 levers.

Submitted by Iceman from Aus from Sydney

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2002

Strengths:    well,,,,i have already posted a review bellow and this is my follow up 8 months after

Weaknesses:    none except for rim a bit soft,,and paint also

Bottom Line:
well this baby is still going great,,,,no problems with anything,,,i have never really had something i have liked so much,,,and have never been back to the same shop to say how much i like the bike until now,,,,if you can get hold of one of these,,,buy it,,,,one of the best hard tails on the market,,,,but alas they dont make them like this any more,,,,my next bike is going to be a Kona Stinky Delux,,2003,,,,check it,,out a mad bike,,,see ya dudes,,

Bike Setup:   z1 drop offs

Submitted by Christian a Cross Country Rider from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Speed, comfort, handling.

Weaknesses:    Fork could have been somewhat tighter for double track riding.

Bottom Line:
Will test the bike this w/end in the longest x-country bike race in the world - 90km. Will be combination of single track, double track and some regular road. Great expectations, sure Pahoehoe will handle it well.

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka

Purchased At:   Deep Cove Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cinder Cone

Bike Setup:   Factory + XTR rear derailor

Submitted by Johan V a Weekend Warrior from Kiruna, Sweden

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Strengths:    Easton frame is lovely. Avid brakes, derailleurs, shifters, fork.

Weaknesses:    Hutshinsone tires wear out VERY quickly. Paint chips way too easily. Rims/spokes seem weak

Bottom Line:
Wov, this frame is like a part of my body, it does everything I want it to. I can go down hills in tremendous speeds even thou its not a FS. This is because it is so unbelievebly easy to control

The rims are weak, also bust a spoke the other day.

A bit expensive since I do not live in the US.

Purchased At:   Bike, Umeå

Bike Setup:   Factory, but xtr derailleur

Submitted by David Chapel a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    Nice and light, yet strong frame.
Great geometry, equally at home going up and down.
Good component mix, love the Z3's, not the lightest but super plush.
Handles uk mud really well, clearences are excellent.

Weaknesses:    Hutchinsons wear out to fast.
Paint does chip a lot (as other reviwers have found).
uk kona's are quite expensive (wished i lived in states!)

Bottom Line:
I was very happy with the Garry Fisher, but the Kona blows it out of the water. a much more responsive bike that has the looks to match. a solid frame that is worth added goodies to.

Favorite Trail:   Chamonix French Alps

Purchased At:   Evans Bikes London

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Big Sur 1999

Bike Setup:   As factory, but added 2.1 WTB velociraptors and a longer seat post (i'm 6'5 on a 20" frame). I'm just about to upgrade to Hope XC Hubs and Mini discs

Submitted by Hector a Cross Country Rider from Mission,Texas

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Strengths:    light weight,awesome frame,looks good,tight handling

Weaknesses:    no name stem,poor saddle

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome! It’s worth every penny. It climbs and descends well. It's tight on the trail and feels smooth and fast. Mine came w/ riser bars, which I swapped out immediately. I love the Easton frame.

Bike Setup:   kore stem/selle italia saddle/everything else stock

Submitted by Mac Santa a Weekend Warrior from Tasmania Oz

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent frame, forks, drive train.

Weaknesses:    Im having minor hassles with rear wheel spokes but this is certainly not a reason to shy away from the hoey. Maybe an upgraded set of mavic rims are on the cards for Xmas. Other than that the news is all good.

Bottom Line:
This bike is very sound indeed. As far as I am concerned it was worth every cent. Performance has definitelty NOT been sacrificed for a pretty awesome looking bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any where away from sealed roads

Purchased At:   Victorian Mtb Centre

Submitted by Jesper Meyer Nielsen a Cross Country Rider from Aarhus

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    -frame,19" easton ultralight
-strong frame, and I'am big guy
-Weight, very light
-components, xt/lx
-breaks, very good
-look, beautiful
-fork, marzocchi Z3. The best I've ever tried

Weaknesses:    -Weak rims
-Scratches easy

Bottom Line:
I've tried a lot of bike, Cube and GT to name the best, but this is with out a doubt the best bike yet, and I'm guessing will be for some time! I can only come up with one complaint; I've had five flats in these six months.
Please notice that this is a racer. Can be used for dirt, but needs stronger rims!!! THIS BIKE IS FOR SPEED DEVILS!
I will never buy anything else but Easton...GO EASTON.
This bike is worth every penny!

Bike Setup:   Go to www.konaworld.com
pahoehoe 2001.

Submitted by ICEMAN FROM AUS a Weekend Warrior from SYDNEY

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Strengths:    AVID BRAKES,,,EASTON FRAME,,,SEAT

Weaknesses:    THIN PAINT...MAVIK RIMS A BIT SOFT

Bottom Line:
The bottom lines is that this bike is great,,,it gives so much confidence on the trail,,its a 18 inch,,,a bit bigger then i am used to but,,,i think geting a slightly bigger frame gives better stability on long trail day rides,,,and jumps a bit safer too,,,mine is set up with 130 mil,,,2000,,green Z1s DO,,,they are fantastic,,,i would never get a bike without,,a Z1 on it from now on,,,luv em,,also mine came with a XTR rear mech,,,which i am not to sure if they are better then a XT ,,,but still nice to have,,,also ,,single digit 7s are extra on it too,,and they stop like nothing i have experianced,,,overall,,,a great bike that i love dearly,,,and am glad to spend the extra money,,,to get one,,,but now the later models are speced down,,,now,,a real shame,,to save a few bucks,,,

Similar Products Used:   AVANT MONTERI

Bike Setup:   Z1 DO plus XTR rear mech,,single digit 7s

Submitted by DAWG a Weekend Warrior from Newport Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Strengths:    -lightweight
-components
-handleing
-paint job

Weaknesses:    could use some more XT or better components (but no problems with LX so far)

Bottom Line:
AWESOME!!! As previously mentioned in other reviews...it climbs great and decends incredibly. Full suspension riders usually tell me I should have gone with a full but, meanwhile, this thing blows right passed most of them. The first downhill singletrack I took it on made me realize why I bought this bike...it handles soooo nicely. It took me a little while to get used to the short stem but it was worth the wait. I love the Z.3's...the rebound control is definitely a nice feature to have. I've taken it on some pretty nasty downhill and it soaked it up like a sponge. The tires are great but they won't last too long (of course, that's true for any racing tire). I did notice a little slipping on some loose uphill sections. But, then again, So Cal is a bit on the dry, sandy side. The seat is one of the most comfortable I've ridden (in this price range). Last, but not least, it looks soooo cool. That was one of the main things that brought me to Kona. The components and overall ride are what kept me there. It's nice to ride something a little more unique (if I had a $1 for every Specialized, Trek, and Schwinn I saw out there...).

As far as hardtails go, this bike is a great deal for around $1000-$1200. I don't know if I'd go up to $1,400 (MSRP) though, unless it came with some XTR. At that price, you can get a decent full and just add on later. I'd recommend this bike for intermediate to advanced riders (unless you're a novice with lot's of cash!). I'll give it 5 Flamers because of the killer deal I got but if I paid full price it'd get 4!!!

Purchased At:   So Cal bike shop

Similar Products Used:   GF Sugar 4, Trek 80, Stumpjumper, Schwinn Rocket, Moab, Homegrown

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2001

Strengths:    -super dialed geometry, perfect for mountain riding
-pretty smooth for aluminum
-amazing on technical trails

Weaknesses:    -none

Bottom Line:
I can't rave about this bike enough. I can rip trails that I could only sketch down on my old stumpjumper. This thing is a technical machine, but it also climbs realy well. It's pretty light but plenty durable. The marzocchi atom 80 is an amzing fork it's so smooth. The bobbing used to bug me but after a couple weeks I don't even notice any more. I am so stoked on the way kona's bike ride I have put in an order and made a big commitment. I ordered a Kona King Kihuna frame with all xtr parts as well as a 2002 atom 80 and some xtr-517 hoops with all race face components (splined next LP's Sweet ). So I would recomend a kona to anyone. I raced this bike 4 times this year and it did amazing. My results stayed the same but I wasn't as tired after because of the smoother ride than my old M2. If you have any doubts in buying a kona, DON'T because I garauntee you after your first ride it will be the best bike you've ever ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Milstream

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   -specialized M2-Pro

Bike Setup:   stock except for an atom 80 and race face crank and bb

Submitted by Neon-Reece McConnell a Cross Country Rider from Helensburgh Scotland

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2001

Strengths:    The whole Kona feel. I have tried a lot of bikes, and only Kona feel right to me. Very good fork, brilliant frame, good all rounder kit, no upgrades needed.

Weaknesses:    Pedals, swopped out for free, and exchanged for Time ATAC Aliums. V.Good pedal, just takes some getting used to

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike for the money I paid for it. A bit pricy at normal retail , but I only paid £999 for it, so very happy. The frame is a wonder, and that combined with a Z3 fork makes for a very fast and strong x-country frame, which can also take some rough abuse. I really needed a hardtail which would survive scottish riding (think very hilly, muddy, wet, fast single track, very rough terrain), and most of all I bike that fitted. So many problems with the last one, either to short a cockpit, or too high a cross bar, I really thought I would have to go the custom route.The Kona though is fantastic. The groupset is fine, and the brakes are fantastic, I was goung to upgrade to discs, but will not bother now. Only upgrades may be an Easton carbon riser bar, and maybe xt shifters and front mech, but as they work superbly, no problems for the moment.
All in all the best bike I have ridden, and now it is mine.

Favorite Trail:   Arrochar

Purchased At:   Evans mail order cycles

Similar Products Used:   Spec. Stumjumper M2pro, Kleins, Giants, Treks, Gary Fishers, Orange.

Bike Setup:   As stock, apart from Time ATAC Alium pedals and a USE XCR sus post.

Submitted by GAK ATTACK a Racer from CABIN JOHN MD.

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    FRAME:SUPERLIGHT AS WELL AS STRONG. LOOKS GREAT!
COMPONETS:GOOD.XT R-D IS AS GOOD AS XTR ANY DAY.LOVE AVID BRAKES.GOOD WHEELSET AND CRANK
FORK:I DONT CARE IF ITS A LITTLE HEAVY, ITS THE BEST FORK FOR THE PRICE; PLUSH,STIFF,SMOOTH

Weaknesses:    NO WEAKNESSES AT ALL . ALL STRENGTHS

Bottom Line:
I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS BIKE. IT CLIMBS AND DESENDS WONDERFULLY. IN MY OPINION,KONA MAKE THE BEST FRAMES ON THE MARKET. ANY OLD COMPANY CAN MAKE A SUPERLIGHT FRAME, BUT ITS SOMETHING ELSE WHEN THAT FRAME IS VERY STRONG AND RESILANT. THE GREAT FRAME IS THE MAIN REASON THA I PURCHASED THIS BIKE. FOR $1200, NO BIKE HAD ANY OUTSTANDING FEATURES EXCEPT THE KONA PAHOEHOE. BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THIS BIKE IS WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Favorite Trail:   KINGDOM TRAILS,EAST BURKE VT.

Purchased At:   PEDAL PUSHERS