Kona 2000 Kula Hardtail Bike

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by simey31 a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight,strong enough for all round riding,comfortable on hills.

Weaknesses:    none, kona rule!

Bottom Line:
very quick on tarmac with slicks, lightweight and fast on singletrack, strong enough for freeride with right set up, ie If you want to run riser bars and 2.3 tyres! forks are sooo light, not recommended for down hill! cant go wrong with a kona.

Favorite Trail:   afan forest (skyline)

Purchased At:   Ebay!!

Similar Products Used:   cindercone, giant xtc

Bike Setup:   sid forks, hydro brakes,mavic wheels, arbon seatpost and bars,slr saddle,1.8 tyres

Submitted by bad andy a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2003

Strengths:    superlight bike yet tuff as nails. fast as hell. the wtb headset with greaseports is a must, smooth like a chris king.

Weaknesses:    wheelset. and skinny tioga tires. qr seat clamp

Bottom Line:
this is a racing machine.how can you not like a green bike with glowing stickers. this bike flys when it has too. i have never climbed hills on a bike faster. if i wanted to i could run a 2.3 tire in the rear with room to spare. the rear dropouts are beefy and super strong. the 00' sid xc is one of the best sid's ever. easy to adjust and to maintain. not a single problem with the sid. if you are looking for a x-country racer, this is the bike for you. go try out a kula today!!

Purchased At:   Now Bikes and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Element TO, Kona Explosif

Bike Setup:   xtr hubs w/ sun 0 degree xc light rims. salsa handlebar. michelin comp s tires(green). everything else is stock

Submitted by shifterboy a Cross Country Rider from Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Strengths:    Fast, Light, great for technical XC riding, stinky green and glow in the dark stickers rule, SID XC is the best fork ever.

Weaknesses:    Cheap seatpost, defective rims, steap climbs can be difficult

Bottom Line:
This bike rides like a dream which more then makes up for the few short commings of the parts. When I got the bike the rims were spotted with white fatigue marks, but they seem to still be holding together, the seatpost was pure cheese though, the brass hardware striped after a good race beating. Still a great value in a raceable XC hardtale thats still comfortable and durable enough to ride everyday.

Favorite Trail:   Wrandees

Similar Products Used:   A Lot of Kona's, stinky, explosive, pahoehoe, Santa Cruz, mongoose, etc.

Bike Setup:   00 Kona Kula, stock with Thompson seatpost, Dolomiti saddle, and Specialized team control/master Pro

Submitted by hammahed a Cross Country Rider from eugene oregon

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    great handling, light weight, cool color, GREAT COMPANY

Weaknesses:    Not as comfortable as Ti or Steel

Bottom Line:
I received this bike last year as a warranty replacement for my older Explosif when the dropout finally gave up the ghost. Because of the wear and tear on the Explosif I didn't expect any sort of consideration from Kona. However, the folks at Kona totally rock! They set me up with this mega sweet Kula and its as good a ride as I've ever had between my legs. I have a Ti bike which I mostly ride (very durable) but the Kula is much stiffer, climbs better and is a great handler. I can't say enough good things about Kona. Buy any of their bikes and you'll know what I mean

Favorite Trail:   Lawler

Purchased At:   Paul's Bicycle Way of Life

Similar Products Used:   Kona Explosif, OCLV, Sandvik Ti

Bike Setup:   Basic 8spd XT with Judy SL Total Air Kit

Submitted by brad kudos a Racer from saskatoon,sask,canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    Kick ass color, sweet frame, what else can I say but its a kona- forever

Weaknesses:    weakness, this bike is never heard the word weak

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike built buy a wicked company. I highly advise you to try a kona out! Anyone who wants a wickedly fast ride and a bike that handles like a dream, kona kula is for that rider. Not for the weekend warrior, go to something not so stiff and a bigger fork.

Favorite Trail:   heaven(moose jaw)

Purchased At:   dutch cycle

Similar Products Used:   kona explosif, lava dome

Bike Setup:   2001 marzocchi atom race

Submitted by mtbmon a Racer from northeastern ohio

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2001

Strengths:    The bike performs as well as it looks. Geometry rocks! Very light and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Are you serious?

Bottom Line:
I got this rig as part of a sponsorship deal and was a little leary of giving up my Cannondale but I am so glad I did. The geometry is near perfect. Climbs as well as the CDale (which is the best climber I have ridden) and very stable on the decents (something I can't really say about the CDale). High bottom bracket makes it a very versatile bike to ride when not racing. Looks awesome and not quite as "corporate" as some other names out there. Did I mention light? Even with the discs, this rig is only about 22 lbs. Worth any upgrade to stock you feel like doing. As I mentioned, it was part of a sponsor deal so I can't really comment on value but if $1700 stock is correct, I think it's worth every penny. As for overall rating, it's five flamin', flyin' terds for the Kula. Oh yeah, it's got glow in the dark decals too!

Favorite Trail:   Vulture's Knob, Kenny's

Purchased At:   Sun Valley Sports

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh M800, Trek 8500, Cannondale F1000

Bike Setup:   SRAM 9.0sl, Magura Louise, SID XC, Truvativ Team SL cranks, Raceface/Syncros stem/bars/post, Time Atac Carbons, Flite Ti

Submitted by Matt Fowler a Racer from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    Quick, Strong and down right sexy looking!

Weaknesses:    None this is the best bike i have ever had!

Bottom Line:
This bike is set up perfectly for me and i love it! Kona does great jobs on bikes and an excelent one on this bike! Can't wait to race it and show it off! This bike is BLING BLING all over it!
Fast, light and great parts on this bike! I also didn't have to clean out the bank cause the explosive would be alot more than the kula is!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Bicycle Works

Similar Products Used:   Kona Lava Dome

Bike Setup:   XTR/XT, SID XC, Cross Link Disc, Hayes, Easton riser, Race Face System, Thomson post!

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Victoria

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2000

Strengths:    super light and a very fast bike, very nice handling.

Weaknesses:    the pedals kind of sucked so I swapped them, and I hate SID's I had a 99 and I hated it so I put an atom 80 on it instead.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because I like light durable bike ( Specialized are not durable at all ) so I thought that this kona would be the best way to do it I put a few hardcore parts on it and turned this bike into a sick fast singletrack missle. It's not as fast as my 2000 RM6 on the DH's but for long distance rides it's realy good. I put the atom 80 on it and that isntantly gave the bike an amazing technical riding advantage, it descends better than any other hardtail I've ever ridden. mine is still less than 25 pounds but this is a very durable bike, before I used to buy a new hardtail every year because they'd break down, not this one it's going to get another season next year and the colours don't look that bad. The best thing you could do for the bike is put a pair of tioga factory xc's on it, or if oyu race put the green michelin sprints on this bike and it will absolutely rip, seeing as I ride my bike on trails about 6 times a week on super hairy technical very rough trails I'd say this is the best value in mountain bikes considering the durability.

Favorite Trail:   milstream

Purchased At:   bike cellar

Similar Products Used:   98 rocky mtn this air, 99 specialized m2-pro

Bike Setup:   stock except for my 3 year old race face cranks bottom bracket and headset and an atom 80

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Quebec

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2000

Strengths:    Well, I got this bike with the insurance money I got when my Explosif got stolen. It took me a few rides to get used to the riser bars and on how stiff this bike was. From then on, I totally fell in love with this bike. I like technical trails with steep turns and rocky climbs and fast downhill this is probably why I think this is the best bike I've owned. It climbs, turns, and descends like a charm. What I particularly like is how stable this bike is on rocky downhills. Oh yes, its also really light but I only notice that when I'm putting my bike on my roofrack. I think that this is an awsome bike for the money and if you are into serious trailriding and/or racing this might be the right bike for you too.

Weaknesses:    The choice of color is somewhat peculiar but its nice that they included some bottles of touch-up paint. The stem was too short for me because I felt really cramped up when I compared my position to the one I had on my Explosif but I guess this is personal. I don't like Kona Factory tires that much.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike, in fact its the best I've owned up-to-date. If your serious about mountain biking and the geometry of Kona fits you well, you just might love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Riviere-a-l'epaule

Purchased At:   Mont Velo

Similar Products Used:   Kona Explosif, Cinder Cone and Trek 720

Bike Setup:   As bought, except for tires (Mythos X), stem (80 mm) and seat post (Titec) which I changed.

Submitted by Stepan Velensky a Weekend Warrior from Prague, Czech rep.

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff, light, easy to handle, looks great

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I got this frame as a replacement for my cracked 98 Kula. The replacement took 3 weeks and nobody asked how I ride the bike. I live in Eastern Europe so I expected something like 6 months or so.....
The bike rides great. It handles so easy. Just think turn right, it does. With a little different setup it would make a perfect XC weapon too. It accelerates great, climbs well and did I mention the lightweight?
Go to your nearest KONA dealer, buy one and HAVE FUN.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500, Kona kula 98

Bike Setup:   01 Z3 Bomber, XTR r.d. and brakes, XT shifters, f.d., b.b., ROOX stem and seatpost, Race Face bars, Mavic 517 rims...

Submitted by Greg Reynolds a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2000

Strengths:    light weight and high quality frame w/disk mounts, awesome fork (SID XC), brakes, rims, drivetrain (so far), I could go on and on... the paint job

Weaknesses:    hmmm....the plastic under the saddle got injured, i didn't, when i wheelied over onto my back (twice, when i was learning about clipless pedals), but it still works fine.....the LX hubs, but that's not a very big weakness

Bottom Line:
so far i have taken it on 2 rides of road and one on the road. all were awesome. i took it up some steep, long, rocky climbs, and brought it down some similar singletrack. It performed nearly flawlessly everywhere. The sid soaked it all up and i didn't have trouble with excess flex-i only weigh in at 160 though. i could finally keep up with my friend throughout the whole ride. The short stem and riser bar are a big change for me, but i like it. that combo makes the bike handle way different. the great thing was that i did not notice the difference from a long stem and flat bar on the climbs, but the way that it changed my position on the bike really helped on the downhills. the tires are not as supremely grippy as my old velociratpors were, but they ain't bad and they are a butt-load lighter and faster rolling. brakes and drivetrain have been oh so slick so far.

so to sum it all, this is one near-perfect cross-country ride. It climbs, accelerates, handles, goes downhill, almost everything perfectly. It is comfrotable enough for the marathon rides and light enough to be raced (which is going to be put to the test next season). If you want a great XC hardtail in this price range, check this one out. the company seems cool when both i and my shop have talked to them, and from some of the other posts,they seem to be good about customer service.

P.S. the paint job (white/light stinky green) and glow in the dark decals were a pretty sweet addition.

i will be back in a while to post a follow up

Favorite Trail:   upper bidwell park

Purchased At:   Pullins Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   old-arse GT hardtail (my last bike), a friend's '99 Dean Oscar (the bike that i would have gotten if Dean still made 'em), and a friend's '99 FSR Extreme (didn't float my boat)

Bike Setup:   as of now it is as bought: SID XC, LX/517's, avid arch 50's, SDG satellite saddle, xt hollowtech cranks, LX front der., XT rear, Hutchinson chameleon 1.95 tires, uhh...that sums it up

Submitted by Jamie Shankland a Racer from Waterloo, Ont, CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Strengths:    Very stiff ride, Very Very Very Very VEry Light, Comfertable Ride, Very fast easy to get away from trail police or angry farmers.

Weaknesses:    Origionial Fork is poo, I changed at begining to an bomber Atom 80, Paint chips pretty easy on rocks, Everybody wants to try my bike out and In return I get to try their poo out!

Bottom Line:
Well At the begining of the season I got this bike from Kona and Im still riding it hard as hell, This bike has not had one single problem and it is holding me in 3rd in ONtario!, Apart from an ugly dent in the toptube the bike still looks amazing, Although the bike does have a few diferant parts on it Other Kona factory Racers seem to like the way the SID feels on the Kula, If your look'n for a race bike that climbs amazing, decends amazing, turns and stops on a dime, and doesent give you a sore shoulder when running is nessassery, this is your bike, If anybody elese who rides a kula reads this and Races in Canada drop me line
shanks_primo@hotmail.com

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune Nationials

Similar Products Used:   I tried out my brothers '99 Schwinn homgrown eliet and a buddies '99 Rocky Mtn Vertex T.O. and somguys KHS Team bike

Bike Setup:   Stock KOna with Race Face Stem, Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80, Hutchinson Python Gold(I changed from Michelins) Sachs PC59 Chain

Submitted by Jamie Shankland a Racer from Waterloo, ONT, CAN

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2000

Strengths:    Wicked colors, Very Very Very Very light, value good with use of Kona parts. Stopping power is great.

Weaknesses:    The fact everybody would like to ride it.!!!!

Bottom Line:
This bike is going to be a great bike on the race circut this year. you watch and see my people. This bike is alot more favorable over the new Scandium EXPLOSIF due to not having a frame warrentee. So if you your game is XC racing this is your bike.

Favorite Trail:   the pines

Similar Products Used:   uhhhhhhhh. Never ridden a another kona before. just a poooy GT.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi atom 80, Race Face stem,Michelin Wil Grippers and all other stock parts with purchase