Kona 2000 Fire Mountain Hardtail Bike

4.07/5 (14 Reviews)

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, RST 281-EL, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Fabian a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2013

Strengths:    I Bought This Bike Use A Couple Of Months Ago But The Frame Is As Strong As Any New Bike
And Its Lighter Than Alot Of Aluminum Bikes, It Had Good Components But Had To Switch Them Out Since The Bike Had Been Sitting Outside For A Long Time, All Alivio Componets, Race Face Ride Crankset, Bontrager Race Modified Wheels With 26x1.25 Bontrager Slicks, Race Face Stem And Handlebars.

Weaknesses:    The Fork Sucks But Since I Dont Go Off Road It Doesnt Really Matter, Planning To Switch To A Rigid Fork Since I Do Long Distance Rides

Bottom Line:
Just Fell In Love With The Bike, Plan To Do More Upgrades To It.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River Trail

Duration Product Used:   Still Using It

Purchased At:   Yard Sale

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Hucknall, Nottinghamshire, UK

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike, light, easy to use and setup, paint work stays pretty much intact even after 12 years of owning this beauty, just cleaned up today and it looks brand new except where the wire tucks behind the head stem.
Have ridden this bike 20 miles bk n forth from work for last 12 year's, 5 days a week then used it at weekends for woodlands riding, and still rides fantastic after being knocked off my bike twice by idiot car drivers not watching the road.

Weaknesses:    Forks are absolutely pants and doesn't take a pounding although mine lasted 11 years of taking it easy on them, have replaced the forks with some white rock-shox Reba with white crown and it looks lush now.
Also seat n seat brackets are pretty dodgy and used to regularly come loose.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely brilliant bike, reliable, fun, light and still after 12 years runs like a dream and gets admiring glances.
Prefer my kona over my merida 2011 any day and will hopefully be buried with it someday, lol, although hopefully with my bike and not mangled into my bike

Purchased At:   Konaworld

Submitted by Gil a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Strengths:    I bought this bike second-hand and while the drivetrain, bars, stem, brakes, seat and post were all stuffed, along with tyres and pedals, I got a bargain. The frame is superb - Just what a nice steel frame should feel like.

Weaknesses:    I didn't own this bike from new but unfortunately it came with the POS RST fork everyone's moaned about already. Things like pedals, saddles, tyres and bars will always be criticised - It comes down to personal taste. But trust everyone when they tell you, the fork's not worth the weight it adds to the bike.

Bottom Line:
Mine now stands me less than €300 all in - It's good as new and an equivalent quality 'new' bike would cost a hell of a lot more than that. If you can find one at a good price in great condition, buy it. Kona steel XC bikes were always something great and just because it's getting older doesn't mean it's lost any of that magic.

Oh, I'd suggest you ignore the last comment - These bikes will like all others have their minor failings - For me, it's the restriction on replacement suspension forks to 80mm or thereabouts and the flex on the back end around the brake bosses. But the bike fits me and both of these 'complaints' could be dealt with relatively easily with a booster and an older Zocchi fork. The last review though can't lend anything to the rest in terms of balance and perspective - I hope mine has!

For value - I've based it on my purchase price - You too can find one at this price at this time if you look around a bit. For overall - I've taken into consideration that I've been able to 'craft' a super old-skool XC racer for little money and it performs superbly.

Purchased At:   Cycle Inn - Second hand

Similar Products Used:   M-Trax 1000 (old skool), Trek Alpha, Kona Hahanna (aluminium), don't know the years to be honest - There are many more on the list including a Scott, a Merida, Sintesi custom etc - Mostly late 90's though.

Bike Setup:   Deore/LX Mega 9 drivetrain, original wheels (still in great condition), Panaracer Fire XC Pro's (F: 2.1, R: 1.8 - a 2.1 is too close to the chainstays - Take my advice!), New Project 2's, STX RC V brakes, Teflon coated cables throughout, Kore risers, Duff XC stem, Race Face grips, New BBB B/B and Headset, Sunn seatpost, Selle Italia race saddle, Shimano SPD's etc.

Submitted by Gregory a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2004

Strengths:    Great value and bang for the buck. Deore level rear derailleur, and good solid components. Very strong frame. Light weight. Great XC geometry. Nice colours.

Weaknesses:    Front fork - but only an issue if you ride very aggressive XC and do larger drops. Rims - I upgraded my rear rim after I tacoed the original rim, but that's only because I was riding aggressively and doing large drops onto pavement. For regular XC, the original rims should be fine (they're double wall). In four years of very aggressive XC riding, I've not had to replace anything except the rear rim, and drive train (which is normal after 2000km anyway).

Bottom Line:
Great value bike for people looking to get into cross country (XC). Note that the components on later model FireMountains are not as good! The 2000 model has a chromoly frame which is very durable, and later models with alumnium frames are not as good! (for a while Kona even listed them as Recreational instead of XC). I regularly hit 2-3ft drops onto pavement, and a couple of times even a 6ft drop onto a tranny, and the bike handled it just as good as dirt jumpers. The main weakness is the front fork, but if you're just planning to ride XC, it's fine. If you're looking to ride urban/DJ/FR, this is not the bike for you. But for an XC bike, it is excellent value.

Similar Products Used:   Department store trash. The FireMountain is way superior!

Bike Setup:   Stock, plus an upgraded rear rim, $10 pedal cages, and standard XC accessories.

Submitted by craig a Weekend Warrior from scotland

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    the frame is of good geometry and very strong. The brakes work well and the handlebar / stem set up is good.

Weaknesses:    The fork is very poor and I snapped the coil/spring after 6 months of use. I found the wheels to be weak as they constantly needed trueing. Saddle is of low quality , i ripped mine . The seatpost clamp bolt snapped on my bike.

Bottom Line:
Nice bike and even better when upgraded

Favorite Trail:   Glentress ( black route )

Similar Products Used:   rocky mountain elevation , specialized hard rock

Bike Setup:   rock shox judy XC 01 fork , XT crank , flite saddle , panaracer fire xc pro tyres , LX hubs on 517 rims

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Strengths:    The Frame is great, decent components, riser bars, tires, pretty light

Weaknesses:    The fork is horrible, the seat is uncomfortable, the pedals and toe clips broke easily

Bottom Line:
This bike (as supplied) is for beggining mtn bikers and when I bought it I wasn't planning on riding too hard, but since that I have taken this bike on some very hard rides, and I have been surprised at how durable it is. All of my friends who have taken it for a spin say the geometry is amazing. It is a very comfortable ride. I was a begginer when I bought it and now that I'm getting a little more serious than before, a few hundred bucks in upgrades will make this bike even better. I plan to keep it forever. What a deal!

Favorite Trail:   Powderface/Fish Creek

Purchased At:   Bow Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Schwinn Moab

Bike Setup:   pretty much same as supplied but put some shimano clipless peddles on

Submitted by zach a Cross Country Rider from severna park, md

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    good frame, riser bars

Weaknesses:    fork and seat stand out as weaknesses

Bottom Line:
this bike is great for the beginner or entry level rider, but if you are pretty hardcore its a great buy too. it needs some upgrades in parts, but for a bike to build upon, as i have done, this is great. i think it was kona's intention to equip the bike this way: tamer riders will have no complaints, and more serious bikers can easily build upon the quality frame. the value is worth five roasted fecal lumps, and until some new parts are added the overall maintains a four. -->look at my setup, i think the bike is now ideal.

Favorite Trail:   avalon

Purchased At:   pedal pushers

Similar Products Used:   yo momma

Bike Setup:   00 kona fire mountain + 01 marzocchi z4 air, + XT derailleurs, and a softer seat

Submitted by Kona Rider a Cross Country Rider from Kaslo, B.C. CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2001

Strengths:    The frame hasn't been a trouble,and all the components work well if well mantained.

Weaknesses:    The fork sucks, It bottoms out off anything I have done from 3 to 6 foot drops. The seat and seat post are another weak part of the bike and need to be replaced quickly for comfort and riding needs.

Bottom Line:
It is what you would expect to get for its price, It was fine for what I started of doing but I have ended up getting into more serius trail riding and have begun trials riding and getting into urban assualting the town. I broke the stock seat and seat post, one of the stock rims and replaced both, and the fork needs to be replaced, THis bike is for the beginner bikers and that is it. I am looking to find a used norco trials frame and if anyone has one I would look into buying it.

Favorite Trail:   The Monster

Purchased At:   Gericks Cycle and Sports

Similar Products Used:   Brodie kenetic, rocky Mountain hammer

Bike Setup:   RST 281 fork, Deore components, gel seat and DH super duty seatpost, fatter tires and stronger rims then stock setup

Submitted by Jed a Weekend Warrior from Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Strengths:    good frame, durable, light, good price

Weaknesses:    needs a better fork and the front derailer has caused me a few problems

Bottom Line:
I am a beginner and this bike has been pretty much ideal for me. I've used it for just about everything--including wrecking it on some big jumps I shouldn't have been taking--and its done great. I've been on trails with friends with $1500+ bikes and they've had problems when I haven't.
I would definately recommend it for beginning to intermediate level bikers, especially if you upgrade the fork and probably the seat.

Purchased At:   jbmountainbikes

Submitted by scott raygor a Cross Country Rider from ruffs dale PA USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    evrything, Quality components, cranks, alum. bars, cro-mo frame, mavic wheels..etc, this bike climbs ANY hill I have come to, says a lot in western PA

Weaknesses:    I never used stock seat, I use a serfas reactive gel seat, have had problems with other types of seats.

Bottom Line:
awsome ride, light weight, smooth, shifts nice, good tires, I love it, highly recommend this bike to anybody, I have a 2 year old girl, have a kid seat on back of bike, still rides great, even better traction with increased weight on back.

Purchased At:   spoked wheelez

Similar Products Used:   this is the 1st quality bike I have owned, but have been shopping all summer, rode diamondback, trek, gary fisher, schwinn, raleigh, mongoose, and MANY more liked KONA best.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Zach a Cross Country Rider from Severna Park, Md. USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2000

Strengths:    Nice frame. pretty good components, rims, tires, riser bar. Everything has behaved exceptionally well for me, excluding the fork.

Weaknesses:    fork sucks.Lookin to replace it with a Marzocchi Z4. the seat is hard as crap. better replace it quick.

Bottom Line:
Im extremely pleased and think it couldnt get much better. Its everything i want in a bike except the fork. Im not claiming to be a great biker or know it all, i really am basically a beginner, but i dont ride the wimpiest rails either. Hell the only true complaint i have other than the fork is i broke my arm last time i rode it and i still have some time in the cast before i can take it out again.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco state park

Purchased At:   Pedal Pushers

Bike Setup:   stock, but with a GT dual density seat for my fragile ass.

Submitted by SOUTH DOGG a Cross Country Rider from CANADA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Strengths:    Tuff bike for the price
The think won't die I have used it for everything

Weaknesses:    The shox arn't that great but they are still not to bad

Bottom Line:
The bike is great nice and tuff for the price.
I have done everything from take drop offs to useing it a bit for trials and I haven't had to replace anything.
Very quick in the trails cause I have rode other bikes and I never went as fast as I have with this Kona

Go buy it good bike for the price.

Favorite Trail:   hardwood hills