Kona 1999 Kula Hardtail Bike

4.8/5 (46 Reviews)

1999 Kona Kula, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 Atom Bomb, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Howard Boons a Weekend Warrior from Hawkins, Alberta

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is still toughing it out after jumping 8 foot to flat jumps. I weigh 150LBS and the only problem I've really had was with the headset.

Weaknesses:    The headset and seatpost sucked. I upgraded those to a raceface post and a king headset. The stock deraillers were kinda screwey, so i had them upgraded to XT. There was a lot of chain slap happening..............

Bottom Line:
I've been jumping gaps and doing drops for over six months now, and this frame shows no signs of wear at all. I'd give my life for the love of riding this thing! Kona, a job well done!

Favorite Trail:   The Kindler and some home made ones

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Junos Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg, Norco rampage, Cove Stiffee fr

Bike Setup:   Kona kula with dh bar, king headset, Xt shifters and deraillers, 2.35" tires, single track rims, marzocchi Z1 freeride fork, hayes mag brakes.... the works

Submitted by Stuart a Weekend Warrior from Abbotsford, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    You can't beat this thing's climbing! I've used it for six months, and I've had no trubles at all. The frame is stong and stiff and almost capable of downhilling.

Weaknesses:    The standard tires sucked! The seat and and rims made for a bit of a bumpy ride.(Easily changed by replacement.

Bottom Line:
I have to hand it to this bike. It's fun to ride and it's smooth over the harshest of bumps. Anyone that likes lighter bikes for speed of jumping should look into it. My only words of advice are to buy a similar kona product. They can't be beat!

Favorite Trail:   Hogwash

Purchased At:   Got it used

Similar Products Used:   Kona lavadome, kona dawg, and norco nitro.

Bike Setup:   All XT's with mavic ceramic rims and brakes with kenda tires. raceface, Sram and xt components.

Submitted by Karl Hastings a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    Frame feels as taught today as when new. Good control.
18.5inch frame recommended for similar builds - 90kg strong 6ft.

Weaknesses:    Crack in frame has appeared in relatively stress free area, some distance from any welds.
Now i must test the lif time warranty.
Original tyres & seat were junk.

Bottom Line:
I am still happy to recommend this brand.

Favorite Trail:   Ardennes

Purchased At:   UK

Similar Products Used:   Heaps.

Submitted by adi kadan a Weekend Warrior from israel

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2001

Strengths:    light, very strong ,front fork-amazing what 63mm can give, position, kona scratch & stinkey

Bottom Line:
like riding on air,amazing fork, climbes very good, light weight.
a very good deal for riders that doesn't ride every day, very strong(still standing after many crashes), good feeling at high speed (65 km/h), steady.

Favorite Trail:   Arad to dead sea-black trail

Bike Setup:   bomber z2, xtr/xt,

Submitted by Howie Keylin a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2001

Strengths:    awesome frame strength and geometry. came with magura hydraulic brakes

Weaknesses:    Deore LX, would have expected XT at this price range

Bottom Line:
Since the day I bought this bike I have absolutely loved it. Mine is a 97 model. The geometry of a Kona is absolutely perfect, the sloped top tube allows you to ride a properly sized bike, but makes it feel more nimble and easy to throw around on the trail. The super stiff easton tubes are incredibly condfidence inspiring. The one big negative was the crap tires that came on the bike they were the Kona Scratch and Sniff tires, they were awful. They didn't wear down as much as they just crumbled. The magura brakes that came on the bike are just outstanding, after four years of steady riding I have done absolutely nothing to them and they brake as good as the day they were new. The only things I had to replce over the years was the rear cassette lost a few teeth(upgraded to XTR) and the seat was garbage. I will never buy anything other than a Kona. The only other thing I'm gonna change on the bike is the piece of crap Judy XC that came on it, it has been pretty much maintnance free, but it just sucks. I still wish I had my old Mag 21. If you are serious about your cross country riding and have the bucks to spend you can't go wrong with a Kula.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Racing Loops

Purchased At:   Bike World, Amherst, MA

Bike Setup:   Judy XC, 747 spd's

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Eden Prairie, MN

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2000

Strengths:    Very, very strong singletrack bike. Telepathic when stuff gets rocky, rooty and tight. good mud bike.

Weaknesses:    Gets fidgety on open descents, runs a size small as compared to other bikes.

Bottom Line:
This thing rocks. Total contrast to the Specialized bikes I have ridden previously. This thing is as close to singletrack/technical mastery as it gets. Doesn't feel particularly stable at high speed though, on open stuff. But how often am I zooming down open stuff in a race in MN? not too often. I built this thing up at 21.5 lbs... not too bad considering I spent way more on my Stumpy and it was an even 25. Climbs like an animal.... exceptional siffness in the rear triangle with good butting everywhere else to make it a strong stiff accelerating bike without beating your @$$ on long rides. Top tube cable routing is a plus for MN - we race in mud about 50% of the time and the top tube routing keeps shifting clean even when the conditions are nasty. Unfortunately I am moving it to the "B" bike for next year, I am switching over to a Fisher Tam Disc b/c my team is sponsored by Fisher. Oh well. I'll still race the kona on the more technical courses and leave the fisher for the easy, open courses.

Favorite Trail:   The Farm or Lone Lake

Purchased At:   Employee purchase through QBP

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper M2 Pro, Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Custom paint, custom build kit XTR/ESP 9.0/SX Carbon

Submitted by Per Haps a Weekend Warrior from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff frame, light, responsive, handles very well, excelent decender. Pure fun freeridin´!

Weaknesses:    None, but the brakes are flexing under heavy use, gives a "wishy-whashy" feel. The XT front shifter gives a very annoying noise - all the time! Can´t fix it!

Bottom Line:
Beautiful XC and freeriding (light) machine!! With the RS Judy 100 - not many of my buddies follow me decending. And what a cool look! Accelerating good, quick turner.

This is a machine for everyone who seeks long XC trips in combination with technical singletracks and freeriding.

Makes you feel like a bikeing King!

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka+Krokskogen

Purchased At:   Sykkeldelisk

Similar Products Used:   Old cromo Trek with RS Indy C

Bike Setup:   As delivered here in Norway: Shim. D. XT brakes, shifters, front dera. and hubs, XTR back dera., Mavic rims and Tioga Factory (too heavy) semislicks. I choose the RC Judy 100 insted of the Marz. Atombomb. Wanted longer and more plush travel. And got it!

Submitted by mason cooke a Weekend Warrior from vancouver, B.C., Can.

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2000

Strengths:    Amazingly strong frame, yet very light. Quick wheelset & hubs. Perfect geometry for the up or down in your lives.

Weaknesses:    Tires were shredded within a year. Weak stem and handlebars. Bombers were a bit heavy - traded them for Judy XC's.

Bottom Line:
I think that a 200 pound weekend warrior will do a lot more damage than a racer, especially when you're asking the bike to be a downhill rig half the time and an XC racer the other half. This thing has served me well in both categories - I can beat my buddies on the way up and keep up on the way down.
I've snapped the Judy's once already, so maybe the Bombers would have made more sense; however, the Judy's have put up with a lot of abuse. The geometry on this bike is sweeeeet! This bad-boy leans into corners and sucks up the heavy drops like none other. Whether I'm riding on the island, the north shore, in Washington state, Oregon state, or just outside of Montreal (all of which I've done, all of which were amazing, all of which allowed me to meet great people), this bike has remained solid and true.

Favorite Trail:   "The Dump", Victoria B.C.

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Hammer, Kona A-A, Specialized Stumpjumper M2.

Bike Setup:   Anything but stock (remember, this bike was bought in '97) - full XT, Judy XC's, Syncros Stem, Riser Bars, Magura Raceline Brakes, Shimano Pedals, Beefy tires.

Submitted by Ola Abrahamsson a Cross Country Rider from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2000

Strengths:    Nice balance for technical ride. The bike has just the right flex for me. I can use it for 1 hour of tricky fun, or have my weekend 120km on everything from stony paths, blåstig to ordinary roads.

Weaknesses:    I had problems with my yellow Race Face cranks; the smallest chain wheel was wrong made and didn’t fit to the chain. The pedals don’t work well and I’m going to change this. The saddle stick broke. I don’t know if it’s really made for that use. The price for the original was about 20$ and I didn’t want the same again so I had to buy a new one for 110$. The leather on the saddle was twisting so I had to change that to. The original tyre was not good so I change them to.
I think the most irritating here is the saddle stick with bad support from the import agency.

Bottom Line:
I like the bike, Bettan and have good vibrations for it, her. I have used her really hard for a period now and we are doing things together.
Buy the bike, but get a good deal for the saddle stick and get another one.

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka

Bike Setup:   Saddle stick: Race Face. Tyres: Hutchinson’s, python. Back wheel: mavic 517 ceramic with XTR. The rest is original.

Submitted by Jeppe Paaske a Cross Country Rider from Norway

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2000

Strengths:    The best hardtail downhiller I know
It is the best singeltracker ever
Great climber
Cool design (race face kranks!)

Weaknesses:    The race face kranks actually sucks! I have had many problems with it.
The tioga semislicks are bad, the have a bad grip and the rubber burns up too fast!

Bottom Line:
This is the best crosscountry bike ever made... It is very light, it is a very good hard tail downhiller, it is so f*ucking good in technical singeltracks. No one I know have beat me in technicals tracks yet, and the closest one also had a Kona (paehoe). The gemoetri is very good, and that is the secret to kona.
But now i am actually crying becouse it was stolen last week!! :( Of course I am going to buy a kona, maybe a Kona Stinky, and start to really downhill! Actually I dont need to buy a full suspension bike becouse no one can beat me in technical track, even they who has a full suspension bike! And its all thanx to my Kona Kula

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka

Similar Products Used:   Kona lava Dome 95 (Unbeatable at this price)
Kona Kula 97 (Great too!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bike Setup:   Stock 16"

Submitted by John from Norway

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Strengths:    Great ride, fast climber and great on singletrack.
Good mix of components.

Weaknesses:    Bad choice of pedals - changed to Shimano 747s after one month, they rule. The spring on the Marzocchi is to weak.

Bottom Line:
Buy it

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Montare

Bike Setup:   747s azonic stem wildgrippers - rest is standard issue

Submitted by Dave B a Cross Country Rider from Port Jefferson, NY USA

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Strengths:    Superlight frame 16" weight only 3lbs!
Custom paint
beautiful welds
Easton ultralight tubing
quick release seatpost clamp that doesn't snag your baggies

Weaknesses:    None yet That I have encountered

Bottom Line:
After riding my 16" GT for 4.5 years getting on the Kona was a big change. The GT is a much more upright type bike and a very big 16" frame whereas the Kona due to the sloping top tube is very small for a 16" bike. I don't feel as fast on the Kona as on the GT but here are some things I can tell you. I am faster through tight single track on the Kona. The Kona weighs 23lbs as the GT weighted 26. The Kona is an amazing climber and feels very light. This bike does'nt have the feel of a typical aluminum bike as it does have some flex. I am used to riding steel frames mostly and this frame does'nt beat me up like my Cannondale did in the past. I used to road ride on my GT for excercise and this Kona is definitely not for that is is a true bread cross country race machine. I can't wait to race with it this season. I highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a high end bike. Mine came with custom red sparkle paint that i have never seen before. This is Kona's top of the line aluminum bike. The thing I like about kona's as a whole is that no matter what frame you get the geometry is always the same. Some aluminum bikes feel cramped their bikes don't I have plenty of room to spread out.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Similar Products Used:   GT Tequesta
Cannondale M700
Gary Fisher MT. Tam

Bike Setup:   16" frame with Chris King headset,Rock shox sid xc, Dean 135 10degree stem, Titec 118gr titanium bars, Rock Shox seat post, Vetta Vandanium seat, XT shifters and brakes, XT cranks, Mavic 217 SUP rims with DT spokes and GT CNC machined hubs, Specialized team tires (folding), Specialized pshyco tubes, 747 pedals.

Submitted by Lin Gallant a Cross Country Rider from Amherst

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    This bike is an excellent bike. It handles really well through those tight, sharp turns. The Kula is best for riding after a huge spring rain storm. The frame is the heart of the bike.

Weaknesses:    The only problem with the bike is the new color scheme, they can do better than light stinky green.

Bottom Line:
This is a bike made for riding in the switchbacks and the wet rooty trails of New England. This is the kind of bike you may want to use on race day. The overall handling is good and like all other Kona's it is well balanced and can take a beating. The only drawback to this bike is the color and the realization that Kona will make a new one next year, and you will be forced to buy it or atleast stare at it for a very long time. Go and buy this bike, you won't regret it.