Klein 2000 Attitude Comp Hardtail Bike

4.66/5 (58 Reviews)
Weight : 25.25000

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by KrisKlein a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2013

Strengths:    Everything. Does everything I need with ease and so far none of the kit has let me down. A pleasure to live with and a still a real head-turner on the trails.

Weaknesses:    None so far although it is an absolute magnet for thieves!

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike from a close friend who had looked after the bike since new. Fortunately for me he was relocating with work and needed to sell the bike and I managed to get my hands on it! It's great on the commute and nothing short of biblical on the trails. It really is that good. The paint job is still in great condition and it really is a thing of beauty. Great bike and don't hesitate to buy if you get the chance - epic frame and if the components are crap change them! You'll never need to buy another frame again :)

Submitted by Amazing a Weekend Warrior from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Strengths:    Super Light! Even by today's standards. Awesomely quick. My friends are always trying to catch up. Climbs like there's no tomorrow. Super rigid. It's a Klein.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager crap. Has developed a click in the drivetrain somewhere. Nothin else. Chainsuck is terrible!

Bottom Line:
Awesome! Great bike. The kind of frame that you keep forever and just upgrade components as they break. Whenever we go out my friends struggle to keep up. This bike is super quick. And it climbs like a mountain goat. I'm the only one that makes it up the hardest climbs because of this bike. Chainsuck is terrible and everyone gives me crap for having an eleven year old bike. Beautiful paint job. Kind of bike that people whisper about how cool it is as they ride away on the trail. Absolutely great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Point (Palmer Park Colorado Springs)

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Nothing as great as this.

Bike Setup:   Platform pedals, kendas in the rear and specialized renegades in the front, specialized A1 stem, nice bars, etc.

Submitted by ez054098 a Cross Country Rider from South Bay

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2008

Strengths:    Light, stiff and light. I think I have it down to 23Lbs without breaking the bank. Super fast XC bike. Still a great paint job.

Weaknesses:    The components it came with were average. I have replaced almost everything. The Manitou SX forks are average.

Bottom Line:
Even though this is a post Trek Klein, it is still a fantastic Klein. This is my third Klein and I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in ride quality between them all. It is a very light yet stiff bike. Made in the USA, can't go wrong with that.

Favorite Trail:   LG

Purchased At:   Livermore Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Other LX equipped bikes.

Bike Setup:   Chris King headset, Bontrager Ti Crowbars, Cook Brothers E cranks, XTR components, Ringle Zooka stem, Ringle Moby post, Avid V brakes, Nuke Proof carbon hubs and Crank Bros Mallet pedals

Submitted by Edwin de Ruiter a Weekend Warrior from Apeldoorn The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    Light, strong, stiff and with a beautifull paint.

Weaknesses:    Icon cranks sucks, caused me several chain sucks and doesn't work in combination with LX front derailleur. Replaced it for a Truvative-crank which is much better. Bike has a hard tail.

Bottom Line:
Good bike with a beautifull frame and nice (but no state-of-art)components. Don't buy it for more then $1300.

Similar Products Used:   No-name LX bike

Bike Setup:   I've changed the Manitou SX fork for a Manitou SX-R; also replaced the stem for a BBB stem with an angle of 5 degrees

Submitted by Jim Harrison a Cross Country Rider from Newton, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2003

Strengths:    Super fit and finish, plush ride for an aluminum hardtail, gets better with age. Don't forget the "drop dead" gorgeous paint job Klein puts on a bike!

Weaknesses:    Are you kidding me??

Bottom Line:
I reveiwed this bike earlier but since I have greatly upgraded this machine. What began as a $300 frame set has now evolved into a near $1800 labor of love. The love affair has not ended. I did get a wild hair just befor Christmas and I put the bike up for sale at the local shop where I bought the frame. I didn't sleep good for the entire weekend and was at the shop early the next day it was opened and brought "Baby" back home. This bike has proven to be beyond awesome. It has never let me down. I said before and I'll say it again, riding this bike is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!! This is the perfect bike for the hardtail purist. Don't buy this bike if your a "hucker". After all, you wouldn't take at Rolls Royce to a demmolition derby, even if it is able to meet the challenge.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list!!

Purchased At:   Lighting Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fishers, Wheeler

Bike Setup:   XTR F&R deraillers, XT shifters and crankset, XTR V-brakes w/ Avid Mag levers, Mavic X-Ride w/WTB MutanoRaptors, Duke XC fork, Bontrager Comp stem and Answer Pro-Taper bars. Oh yeah, don't forget the SDG saddle that I bought out of the bargain basket at the cycle shop (cheap but sweet!)

Submitted by Brian Goldsmith a Cross Country Rider from Powder Springs, GA , USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    The Rolf Wheels and Hubs! The Frame and its internal sloping design that is on most Kleins. This bike peformes so well even at higher speeds closer to 40 or 45 MPH.

Weaknesses:    All The Bontrager stuff although it works well. I just dont care for it because i am about to have to replace some of it and i just got the bike in Dec 01. Somthing makes a chirping sound but it doesnt effect the performance. It just bothers me so i am going to replace it. There really isnt anything bad on the bike it is just my personal preference.

Bottom Line:
If this is your first bike or not it is an awesome one to go with. I got it for so cheap because it was a year end sale and the manager said he rode it once and didnt like it. I LOVE IT. I dont know what he didnt like but i was happy to get it at half price! Even if you have to pay full price it is worth it! If you are looking to buy a hardtail bike buy a klein! i woouldnt spend the money if i was just going to ride it on the rode around town. It does perform well on the rode too, but i would save the money. It doesnt make since to buy an off-road bike and use it on the road or paved trail only. I recommend it as a racing bike or as an off-road bike just for fun. Buy it if you are serious about off-road riding.

Favorite Trail:   Anything off-road and challenging

Purchased At:   Cycle Path Bike Shop in Alabama

Similar Products Used:   This is my first MTB Bike. Wanted to start with a good one and find one on sale that was awesome!

Bike Setup:   I have the 2001 attitude Comp. It is similar to the 00. I have Rolf wheels and hubs.(These came stock) XT Rear derailleur, LX front Derailleur and shifer/brake combos. Bontrager stem, handlebars, seatpost, saddle, crankset, tires. Shimano UN-50 BB. Bontrager grips. I will upgrade most of this soon except for the wheels and hubs because i am about to start racing.

Submitted by Jim from Newton, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2002

Strengths:    Super light weight, excellent fit and finish, very plush ride

Weaknesses:    Have not found any

Bottom Line:
This has got to be the closest thing to the perfect bike I have ridden. I've owned two Fishers, and I've tested about everything out there between $1300 and $2000. Nothing comes close to this bike. I guess if I have anything to complain about it is the number of bugs I get on my teeth when I ride with this big smile on my face. Riding has always been fun, now it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Sugar 3

Bike Setup:   RockShox Duke XC, Mavic X-Ride w/Hutchinson Pythons, Bontrager Comp Crankset, Bontrager bars and stem and Shimano XT every where else.

Submitted by Mark D a Racer from New Catle, DE 19702

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2002

Strengths:    - fast, responsive, climbs great, handles turns well.
- the bike is predictable.
- not a reason to buy a bike, but exceptional paint job.

Weaknesses:    - Chain Suck, first day of riding, problems with Icon Crank set. Read other reviews and this was the first thing I replaced, went to Shimano LX and problem with chain suck was resolved.
- Not to happy with pedals, tough to get into and tougher to get out. Will replace them next.

Bottom Line:
I only had $550 to spend. I was going to purchase a 2002 Trek 4900 and I saw this severly discounted 2000 Klein Attitude Comp leftover hanging on a hook looking for a home. I knew of Klein's reputation in the Road Bike arena, so I decided to spend the extra $50. Actually there was no comparision between an Attitude Comp and a Trek 4900. I am totally pleased. I was able to upgrade the cranks for $125, so I only have about $750 into this bike. I have ridden it almost everyday for the past 3 months, mostly single track, with very little fatigue. This bike is a pure pleasure to own and ride.

The bike is fast and builds confidence with each ride. You just have to aim the bike and it goes. Climbs are an ease. If I didn't have the problems with Chain Suck I would have given it 5 Chilis, but you can't beat the value.

Favorite Trail:   Like I would share that

Purchased At:   Wilmington , DE

Similar Products Used:   - Hard Rock with Rock Shox Fork.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2000 Klein Attitude Comp with upgraded cranks and bottom bracket to Shimano LX.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Lubbock

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    The bike is light, fast, and mean on handling. The ride is sheer bliss both on and off road.

Weaknesses:    I had to swap the pedal out for some new ones that would grip better. I also bought a Rock Shox seat post and had to buy a shim to make the post fit. I really wish someone would come up with a universal size for after market products. I swaped out the tires for Michelin slicks so I can jet around campus easier.

Bottom Line:
The changes I made to the bike was personal and not becasue I thought the components were bad. It is one of the stoutest bikes I've owned and I am very pleased. I would recommend the bike to anyone, and would also recommend a good lock if you want to keep it from being stolen. My wife has the exact same bike and she sings praises all day long while she zips around all the other yahoos who cannot keep pace with her. The Klein Attitude Comp is an excellent bike!!!

Favorite Trail:   Lighthouse/Palo Duro

Purchased At:   Paul's Parts

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale

Submitted by Martijn a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2001

Strengths:    - Frame: very stiff, makes it accelerate fast, less effort needed when climbing, handles brilliantly
- Saddle: very comfortable but not too soft, no troubles at all after 3+ hour rides.

Weaknesses:    - Replaced the chain immediately because of previous experience with Shimano chains
- Front derailler isn't porperly set-up, needs tuning
- Stock Bontrager tires not suitable for muddy Dutch conditions

Bottom Line:
Compared to my previous bike (the Rockhopper), it's a whole new world. It has a different geometry; my head is now nearly over the riserbar instead of halfway over the top tube. It therefore corners much better, allowing me to ride much tighter lines. Climbing is made easier, also due to easier shifting (apart from the fact that I cannot currently use the granny ring due to the faulty front derailler set-up). I've noticed I can ride longer with less effort on this bike than before. It does need a completely different approach when riding through mud. The Rockhopper just wanted to go straight ahead, so racing through mud was comparatively easy. The Klein is more nervous and needs to be pushed straight ahead. It took some getting used to, but it is not a weakness.
The non-stock brakes and bar-ends are both winners, see separate reviews for those.
So far, I have not noticed any chain suck as reported by others, and I really like the saddle.
The Manitou fork is still in its break-in period and is a bit too soft as yet, but that is tunable once it's been broken in.
Basically, if you want a quick-handling XC bike, take a look at this Klein.
For first impressions after three weeks use, there's nothing wrong with my riding which can be attributed to the bike. So there's just one possible overall verdict: 5!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, size XL (2.5yrs)

Bike Setup:   Size L; Stock, except chain: SRAM PC89R, brakes: Magura HS33, shifters: Deore, tires: Schwalbe Big Jim, added Cane Creek Ergo bar-ends

Submitted by Henry S a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    -Great Frame
-Bontrager Superstock Wheels are decent
-Amazing Paint Job

Weaknesses:    -CRAPPY COMPONENTS!!!!!!!
-Icon Onyx stuff SUCKS!!
-The seat post grooves make the saddle shift and thus get rounded off and starts slipping all the time.
- Bontrager pedals do a medeocre job of keeping you clipped in.
-The chain suck guard bent my chain. Klein needs to include better instructions about how to place it.
-Manitou SX fork is just plain horrible.

Bottom Line:
Klein make good frames. Period. But their good frames make up much of the purchasing price which means that they have to spec it with crappy stuff (Icon, Manitou SX, ect). The frame is incredibly rigid for it's weight, very strong too, I've gone off of some 2 - 3 foot drops on this frame (which is a lot for a frame that only weighs 3.1 pounds). Whe I bought it though, like many others, I was mainly into it because of the frame. I plan on bringing the total weight down to 22lbs.

Favorite Trail:   Dagmar

Purchased At:   Trail Blazers Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Chameleon (demoed)
Trek 8000 (demoed)
Wheeler Victor
TBL

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Race Face XS Splined BB and Truvativ Stylo Team

Submitted by Brant Eichfuss a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    -amazing climbing and handling
-hellishly fast
-Light but not 'too light' where parts start to fail.
-Frame is a keeper, so it is worth it to upgrade components as your wallet allows.
-bike setup has drivetrain working like a top Swiss watch.
-Beautiful paint job that the ladies love. Life is too short to ride a boring bike! This thing is like a piece of art.
-I've wanted one of these for years, and I'm glad they got rid of the proprietary headset and BB they had for a while.

Weaknesses:    -paint may chip more than some, but not bad so far.
-some other bikes may have better component spec for the same price, but don't forget the Klein frame is where the money is on this bike.
-uncomfortable saddle exasperates the stiff oversize-aluminum frame
-don't even think about locking this bike up anywhere! It can turn heads for the wrong reason as well.

Bottom Line:
This is the last hardtail I will need to own. This bike is built for fast XC riding, and does it very, very well. (I think it must have a motor hidden inside somewhere!) It really has improved my riding, the shock works well for the price, and the whole bike is great for singletrack where you have to be able to flick the bike back and forth quickly. I used to hate climbs, but the frame is so stiff and light that they are a breeze. I could scarcely be happier. Frankly, there is no need to spend more money on a bike like this unless you are a pro racer. However, if you are a freerider or bike abuser, you shouldn't be buying a lightweight bike like this. Instead, go check my review of the Kona Stinky instead.

Favorite Trail:   Moab, Utah in general

Purchased At:   Sport Swap, Toronto

Similar Products Used:   Handbuilt steel hardtail, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek, Gary Fisher, Cannondale CAAD 3 (my god-it flexes visibly!), Rocky Mountain

Bike Setup:   WTB Y2K SST ti saddle, 2.1" Bontrager Revolt and Jones tires, Race Face handlebar, stem.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Strengths:    The frame....... oh my, climbs beautifully, really fast

Weaknesses:    CRANKSET SUCKS!!!! Some other cheap ass components

Bottom Line:
Other than the crankset, this bike ROCKS!!! The first real XC ride, I taco-ed the middle ring just climbing a small hill. The guys at the LBS mounted it on the shop wall. They gave me a loaner crankset, we'll have to see if Klein/Trek will hook up a truvativ.
This is by far one of the fastest singletrack bikes i have ever ridden. I can't say enough about the frame, that's really what I bought the bike for. Replace this crank as soon as you can.

Favorite Trail:   braile