Klein 2000 Adroit Pro Hardtail Bike

Weight : 22.25000

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou MARS CL, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Jim Turner a Cross Country Rider from Dallas

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2004

Strengths:    Stiffness like no other!!!!

Weaknesses:    Steer tube is 1 1/4 which makes it hard to find things to fit properly w/out shimms. Color Red/Yellow/white

Bottom Line:
This thing climbs like a billy goat!! WTF! I have a hard time hangging on it's so fast. It handles great for cross country. It has taken me several years to perfect my technique riding fast downhill since it is so light. The guy in the bike shop was talking smack about how light his carbon trek was (23.8 lbs), so i got my bike out of service and we compared. The Klein came in at 21.5! I can not figure out why everyone wants a full suspension bike. They are nice, but nothiong performs like a Klein hard tail! Everyone should ride one before they die!

Favorite Trail:   Mt Snow Vermont expert loop/Flume Trail Tahoe

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Cannondale, Fisher

Bike Setup:   King/Mavic wheel set, full XTR, easton sl bar and seatpost, polar 720i

Submitted by Lorenzo Sans a Cross Country Rider from Terrassa,Barcelona,SPAIN

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    Love the stiffness, superb handling, agressive looking and fab paint job. I do believe that this bike makes you a better climber. If you like climbing this is your bike.It is a racing bike which demands the best of you, if you want quiet and relaxing Sunday morning rides forget about the ADROIT. This bike delivers what is promised for. Downhill you have to be careful, typical from racing geometry but when you hammer down really fast then is when this baby starts responding. Try fast corners with it and you see what I mean......Never mind if you bonk in a middle of race and you finish end of the pack, your morale and determination will recover just after washing the bike the same afternoon, the ADROIT glows....simply inspiring.

Weaknesses:    I simply hate the horizontal rear dropouts it might be the best system to align the wheel but it's a dirty job when changing the wheel as you always have to pull the chain back with your fingers and place it over the sprocket before releasing the wheel into the dropouts. This is specially annoying when having a flat during a race. The oversize aheadset might we effective and I'm convinced that's is part of such a racing performance but this limits the change of suspension fork other than the stock fork as special adapted bearings are needed to fit a new fork.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike as it fits my type of fast -agressive riding, I live in a hilly place with many wonderful singletrack trials. Make no mistakes this bike is not for everybody, compared to the latest hi-tech dual suspension bikes which suit all type of riders I feel that the ADROIT like other racing rigid bikes, will become in few years something of the past but the stifness, the lively handling and why not, the simplicity of the design will still inspire many bikers who seek for real performance with no compromise.

It might end up buying a dual suspension but I can guarantee that I will never get rid of my ADROIT, this bike has taught me how to enjoy climbing ( if climbing is enjoyable ¡¡¡) and has forced me workout and practice so I could exploit all its possibilites.

Probably overpriced for what it is, for 4000 USD you can really start thinking about other nice babies, but I guess that this is the price of exclusivity of having a real racing bike like any of the pros racing every weekend.

Favorite Trail:   La Masella ( Puigcerda )

Purchased At:   BTT-Sports

Similar Products Used:   ALKON PIRINEOS, WHEELER TITANIUM, ALPINESTAR CROMEGA.

Bike Setup:   XTR groupset, MAVIC tubeless wheels, HUTCHINSON MOSQUITO TYRES, MANITOU MARS fork, SYNCROS seatpost,SPECIALIZED body geometry titanium,

Submitted by Luis M. B. Sánchez a Cross Country Rider from Madrid, Spain, EU

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    Everything! Painting, stiffness, lightness, geometry and Klein 9320 Gradient!

Weaknesses:    The only one is that i have to wait two months to get my second Adroit. Well, the wait will be worthy.

Bottom Line:
5, 6 or 7 aluminum series? Ceramic materials? Carbon or titanium lightness? Try Gradient and you'll never buy other bike than some Klein. You'll fly. I did a proof in a track in the south of spain with a friend. He happily (till get the ride of my Adroit) owns a 11,5 kg chrome Sunn. We did the track with our bikes. I won the first race with a time of 15:15 and an advantage of 2 minutes to my friend. The second race we changed our bikes and he won with 15:40 and an advantage of 40 seconds to me. He was really wondered how a handmade bike could really get him a winner!

Some bike (i only think about Klein Attitude) must have 5 chilis, but i give it six chilis or ten if possible, because you'll never think in the same way of riding when you try this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Subida a Peñalara

Purchased At:   DAL Bikes (the best worldwide bikeshop)

Similar Products Used:   Specializeds, Cannondales, GTs... all sucks when we speak about Klein.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Controltech extensions (25 grs both), Mavic Crossmax, Thomson seatpost, Airheadset, Continental tires, Selle Italia Flite Titanium

Submitted by Brent Winebarger a Racer from Farmington, NM.

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Strengths:    Sweet paint job, love the integrated headset, climbs like a billy goat!

Weaknesses:    Fan of Manitou, not a fan of MARS forks, although answer totally rebuilt the fork for free

Bottom Line:
The bike is super quick, not only noticed the stiffness on the climbs, but my handling, and quickness on decents also improved. I seriously believe there is not a better looking aluminum hardtail available Sub 23lb. Large Frame. I opted for the Custom Gary Klein signature(excellent choice) If you race, and you want to win- The Adroit Pro will take you there!

Favorite Trail:   The Road Apple

Purchased At:   Cottonwood Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Never have ridded something as sweet as the Klein, have owned S-Works, Team Issue DBR

Bike Setup:   XTR, Crossmax, MARS C, Thompson post, Bontrager Super X tires, WTB SST.98 saddle

Submitted by Dylan Lewis a Racer from Sullivan,IL

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2000

Strengths:    Incredible climber, quick handling, stiff, and it has the best paint job in the industry

Weaknesses:    yeah right

Bottom Line:
Since I work at a shop I've rode about everything at least a little bit and the very first time I rode around on one of these I knew I had to have one. This bike is very quick in its movements, but is predictable at the same time. It is a stiff bike, but not to the point of being harsh. This thing loves to climb, I couldnt believe how much less effort it took to climb with this bike. This paint job is incredible! Numerous times after races I've expected to find huge chips and scratches, but have yet to put one in it. I'm very, very impressed with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   chief illini trail

Purchased At:   Decatur Bicycle Shoppe

Similar Products Used:   umm...cannondales, trek aluminum and oclv, fishers

Bike Setup:   XTR, Mars CL, Bontrager wheels, silver cloud paint job

Submitted by Guido Kerssens a Cross Country Rider from Haarlem, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Strengths:    Come on!..... It's a Klein!
Very stiff, great climber, precise steering, very good looking and my ultimate dream.

Weaknesses:    Come on!.....It's a Klein!

Bottom Line:
This is my ultimate bike. At 9.7 Kilo's, it is a great climber and it is fast like hell.
I bougth the Adroit Pro Costum and it has everything I wanted,..........even my name on the toptube.
Anyone wo want the perfect hardtail bike and likes an agressive ride, go for it!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere there are mountains

Similar Products Used:   This is my 4th Klein. Specialized.

Bike Setup:   Manitou Mars, XTR, SRAM ESP, Hügi hubs, different titanium hardware, as long as it is ultra lite.

Submitted by Kevin S a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2000

Strengths:    Quality - inherent in every aspect
Climbing Ability - was that uphill?
Lightweight - under 22 lbs without trying
Handling - steering is tight at speed and quick on the singletrack

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a high quality hardtail with uncanny speed and climbing ability, the 2000 Adroit Pro is an outstanding option. To ride this bike is to appreciate the best that engineering technology and fine craftmanship can offer. You get what you pay for with Klein.