Klein 1999 Attitude Race Hardtail Bike

4.54/5 (26 Reviews)

1999 Klein Attitude Race, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou SX, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by jeffrey kern a Cross Country Rider from trout lake,wa98650

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Even for a used bike, I would take this 99' kline anywhere!
I love the frame dementions,smooth ride components are great,this bike just fits me great!

Weaknesses:    Break down isnt the smoothest that I have had, ie pulling wheels to leave for the day, but for a 23lbs. bike its no prob, after the break down to get it on any rack.

Bottom Line:
best six hundred bucks ever spent!!! matter a fact I would still pay 1200.00 or more.....used just a awsome bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. adams. sleeping beauty

Purchased At:   hood river ,oregon mv bike

Similar Products Used:   kona,GT,RD

Bike Setup:   wheel 26-crono crane creek/w/ritchy tire,icon neck,xt & xtc
comp. titec ithius seat, quad pivot thud buster, all shimano deore.

Submitted by Daniel Fridriksson a Downhiller from Iceland

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, light, climbs very well, looks nice, outstanding frame. I like the black and red color, makes it hardcore!

Weaknesses:    The "bike" has no weakness other than the Manitou SX lock out. It works well when it works, but most of the time it´s stuk in lock-out or you can not set it in lock-out.

Bottom Line:
I work at a bike shop and of all the expensive bikes we sell Kline is the best!

I bought this bike 5 years ago and competeid on this bike for 3 years so it is very much used, but it looks only like 1 yeas old!! The bike never let me down!!

If you are a XC rider, Kline is for you!!!!!

Purchased At:   orninn hjol h/f

Similar Products Used:   I work at a Klein, Trek and Gary Fisher dealer shop! So you name it!

Submitted by Martin Bjaerke a Weekend Warrior from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2001

Strengths:    Light, stiff and beautiful. Parts work flawlessly together.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager Race wheels, LX parts of the drivetrain could be lighter, lighter tires/tubes? Slightky heavy fork (Manitou SX)

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best climbing bikes there is, with a compact, agressive geometry (I even use the Medium size for all my 6ft1. Nice shifting but the brakes could be better (planning on XTR v-brakes for weight's sake). Fork is fully adjustable with the nice lock-out lever for sprints. I've had plenty of paint chips from gravel coming off the front wheel, though, but it's easily covered since it's black. It's a little shaky on tough descents, maybe has got something to do with the 70 mm fork. A very nice starting point for upgrades (fork, wheels, drivetrain, brakes). And I love the SDG seat, even if it's cheap! Excellent for climbing, technical terrain and sprints (w/ lock-out).

Favorite Trail:   Nordmarka, Oslo

Purchased At:   Sykkeldelisk, Oslo

Similar Products Used:   Miyata Elevation 10.000 (carbon/XT)

Bike Setup:   XT/517/DT DB/superlight tubes/Ritchey Speedmax Alpha/Omega WCS wheelsets, Sharkfin, Tranz X short barends, XTR brakepads.

Submitted by JC a Weekend Warrior from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2001

Strengths:    Some decent components, weight, price was great since I worked a deal. Climbs nicely.

Weaknesses:    The paint. My nephew could have put on a better paint job with his water colors than Klein did. I ride this bike mainly on mellow up hill/cross country rides since I have a GT 1.0 for my bombing sessions and it really gets minimal use but I can't believe the amount of paint chips. After owning the bike for a couple of months, the frame looked like it was 10 years old. The LX cranks and BB. The bontrager pedals busted after 3 months (1 of them anyway) and I switched those out. I guess they had a problem with them and they will be replaced free of charge if your LBD has any pull. I was not privy to this and had to pay. The seat is garbage. Why switch to external cable routing? I think the 2000 or 2001 went back to internal. The lock out front suspension is really useless. Why would you ever want to lock it out?

Bottom Line:
I would not reccomend this bike. Klein has been living of it's past reputation and has let it's quality go south on it's newer frames/bikes. There are plenty of other motivated, hungry bike manufacturers out there who are innovative and quality conscious. Klein is slipping I'm sorry to say.

Favorite Trail:   Helicopter Pad

Submitted by Dominic from Madison, WI USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2001

Strengths:    stiff and light:)

Weaknesses:    paint chips where the cables are routed around the headtube.
do yourself a favor and either monitor this area and get it repainted if necessary since Klein offers a year warranty on the paint(like I did this winter) or buy some ski saver and wrap it if you really like your paint

Bottom Line:
Great frame, super quick, flies up the inclines, stiff and solid. Raced it last year and have already stuck some miles on it this year. Still love it. Replaced all the stock parts and customized it a bit to lighten it up and fit me better. Anyway if you like your paint protect it, and other than that..no worries. Buy the Klein.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Paragon

Bike Setup:   Full XT, King headset, raceface XY post and air alloy bar,
Thomson Stem

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2001

Strengths:    Light and stiff frame, fast, surprisingly good at climbing up gnarly technical terrain. Seems to handle and track well on the descents. The big sky blue color looks yummy and the price is also reasonable. Extra large size weighs only 23 lbs. once most components were upgraded. The stock fork (Manitou Mars) is very light – keep it. Makes a good road bike in the winter as well -- just swap out the wheel set with a road specific setup.

Weaknesses:    Some of the components should be upgraded once the bike is purchased. The paint chips and scratches easily. Get rid of that stock UN52 bottom bracket and use it as a barbell. I wouldn’t recommend this bike for heavy people or clones that like to do big drops – the frame is somewhat fragile.

Bottom Line:
One of the best hard-tails out there. I highly recommend this bike for anyone that likes climbing and riding fast cross-country. I’ve only been to Moab once with this bike but was surprised by its performance on Poison Spider. It definitely out-performed my Zaskar, which I rode the last time I did that ride. Again, I was surprised at how well it performed technically. Perhaps, the geometry is superior to my previous bikes.

Purchased At:   Westside Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike was a GT Zaskar LE. I’ve found this bike to be faster on the road but have not had the chance to compare the two on my favorite Colorado big climbs. I’m assuming the Klein will result in better times.

Bike Setup:   Year 2000. Stock fork, shifters, levers, stem, and Front Derailleur. Everything else has been upgraded. Race Face BB, cranks, rings. Bontrager Valiant wheel set. Chris King headset to be installed shortly.

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Richmong, VA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Great light-weight frame with good components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Frame is inherently weak at the right-side rear drop out.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike new in January 1999. After a year of moderate use the right-rear chain stay broke at the drop out. Upon closer examination, it appears that Klein, in the interest of producing a replaceable derailer hanger, halved the thickness of the drop out and put a bolt-hole through this high-stress part for which to bolt the hanger. The quick-release skewer nut holds the two parts together in a sandwich. For 2000, Klein has changed the design and eliminated the replaceable hanger. If you are considering a used 1999 versus a 2000, spend the extra money for a 2000 or make sure you have warranty coverage for the 1999. If any LBS is trying to sell a 1999 frame, say "no thanks".

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, GT

Submitted by Ron a Cross Country Rider from Cupertino

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2000

Strengths:    The frame

Weaknesses:    Some of the components

Bottom Line:
When I first bought this bike, it suffered from terminal chain suck (when the chain fails to shift from the middle chainring to the small one properly, and jams against the frame.) There was also a lot of noise coming out of the
crank.

I was quite upset, but my LBS and Klein did what was necessary to solve these problems. To get rid of the chain suck it was necessary to replace the LX chainrings with XT rings, and replace the chain with the Dura-Ace/XTR chain.
I have not had a single instance of chaing suck since replacing most of the LX components in the drivetrain with XT. My bike also came off the showroom floor with bad bearings in one of the RE-1 peddles, so they got replaced as well.

I felt the modulation I was getting from the Avid 1d 20 V-brakes the bike came with was unsatisfactory and I did not like the brake levers either, so I upgraded these components (see bike setup above) and am experiencing vastly superior braking control now.

I am happy with the Manitou shock that comes stock on the bike. I use the lockout for climbing fire roads frequently and the shock is extremely adjustable.

I replaced the semi-slick tires too of course, and am now running a Panaracer Fire up front, and a conti-xc in back.

The bottom line is that the frame is fantastic - the first time I rode a klein bike, I knew I had to have one. It is stiff in those ways that it should be, without losing flexibility in other ways that are desirable. I know that some people don't like aluminum hard-tails because they are too stiff. Not this one - it is a tough thing to explain!

I probably would not be so happy however if my LBS (Chain Reaction in Cupertino, CA) and Klein had not done everything necessary to make this a silent and smooth running machine.

The bottom line is that I love to ride this bike - looking out the window at the Santa Cruz Mountains..... I think I will go riding right now!

Bike Setup:   Component upgrades: XTR brake levers, Avid Arch Supreme brakes, Onza bar ends, UN-72 BB, XT chainrings, XTR chain, XT cassette, Thompson seatpost, Selle Italia Flite saddle, and a Salsa brake booster (for rear brakes)

Submitted by Bav Bavis a Cross Country Rider from Cambridge, UK

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2000

Strengths:    Amazing Frame
Excellent Wheels and components

Weaknesses:    Rear facing dropouts, maybe?

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because I wanted a fast light weight hardtail as an upgrade on my 98 Marin Muirwoods. The Attitude is amazing, I tried several bikes at about the £1000 mark and the Klein simply felt better than any of the others. Originally I was going to get the Attitude Comp but finally decided to pay the extra money and get the Race.

It's obviously much lighter than my Marin and it handles alot better, this bike climbs really well and I can take corners much faster than I could on the Marin. The components are all first class. The Manitou SX forks are easily adjustable and soak up the bumbs without being too bouncy, you don't notice they are there (just as it should be). My only complaint is the rear facing dropouts take a little getting used to when removing the rear wheel.

Similar Products Used:   Marin Muirwoods
Trek 7000
Trek 8500

Submitted by John Dockery a Racer from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: October 7, 1999

Strengths:
Light, stiff, handles great, new replacable hanger and its made by KLEIN

Weaknesses:
Paint is very easy to scratch and a choice of color would be nice.

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks %@$## butt. I had a 96 Pulse Comp and decided to buy the 99 Attitude when they introduced the replacable dropout a smart upgrade. I purchased only the frame so I could choose different components. I train on some of the rootest and most technical trails around and have not had any trouble except for the paint. I race most weekends and have put the bike through the test. It out climbs and out corners the competion and is a true racing machine. I give it five jalapinos.

Centennial Campus

6 months

All major bikes

Manitou SX-Ti, full XT, Rolf wheel set, and Easton post, bar and stem

Submitted by race me a Racer from england

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff, fast.....

Weaknesses:
It Breaks.....

Bottom Line:
Good, but flawed. It handles beatifully, goes real quick. But the frame snaps. I know of 6 frames that have snapped. They all have snapped in the same place: the rear driveside dropout. The bolt for the mech hanger is in completely the wrong place, leaving very little metal to take the loadings from the rear wheel. The frames all snap around this bolt. The riders who use these bikes are not heavy (XC racers). I weigh 10 stone, and the paintwork had started to crack around this bolt at the end of the season- I only used the bike for races. Also, the brakes aren't too hot- get 'em changed! I had a Attitude race lat year (when they were built nice, with internal cables), and that was excellent.3 flaming chilis, cos its good. If it doesn't snap.

1 Year

Dean Oscar, 98 Attitude race, several y2k bikes.

stock

Submitted by James a Racer from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1999

Strengths:
It's a Klein!
Bontrager all over.

Weaknesses:
Again it's only the paint.

Bottom Line:
I first wanted a Klein in the early 1990's and have not been able to afford one until now. I was originally going to buy an Attiude comp as it represented amazing value for the bike of my dreams. Alas as everyone knows Klein ran out of mediums. So I found the extra cash and got the race. Knowing what I know now about this bike I realize what an improvment on the Comp it is component wise. If you are looking at buying an Attiude comp look no further but if you are deciding between a Comp and a Race spend the cash. The frame is as stiff as I ever hoped and climbing is now more fun than a chore as I pass racers on lesser bikes. Five out of Five no questions!

camp Fortune

3 months

Almost everything. I work at a bike store.

Still stock.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent Climber
Feels solid

Weaknesses:
Paint

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after reluctantly giving up my old Cannondale. Tried my wife's new Klein Attitude Comp and decided that it ROCKED! I would have bought the same bike but store was out of Attitude Comp's and also didn't want 2 of the same bike. Tested and bought the Attitude Race--gave the wheels to my wife and kept my old Crosslinks. Overall, this bike is sweet with good build quality and excellent ride characteristics. The only downfall is the paint-job that scratches too easily.
If you can find an Attitude Comp and switch out the rear derailler for XTR and get some Mavic Crossmax wheels you may end up with a better bike with a better paint job for a similar price.

401 in Crested Butte

Bontrager crowbar
Mavic Crosslink

Submitted by Goh Kee Joon a Cross-Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1999

Strengths:
Very stiff frame. Geometry idel for climbing/ descending.

Weaknesses:
Lacquer could have been thicker. Much thicker, the way they used to.

Bottom Line:
The geometry of the bike is somewhat ideal for both road and off road riding. I am 1.75m high, 85kg and am riding a Medium. I have no problem with the fit.
A truly FAST bike. Responsive stiff and light.

Bukit Timah/ Rifle Range Road

less than 1 month

Trek y-22

Rock Shox Judy XC 99, Magura Quick Silver brakes, XT and ESP/Gripshift drivetrain, Mavic 517 Rims, RIngle stem, FSA headset, Shimano 747 pedals.

Submitted by Phat guy a Weekend Warrior from Possum Trot, Arkansas

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
Strong Frame
Black looks kewl

Weaknesses:
Cheap Componets

Bottom Line:
I had a Mantra and got sick of the creaks and pops of full suspension life. I am 6.2 and weigh a hefty 230.
Full Suspension bikes cant take that much weight for very long.
This is a good frame as far as I can tell. I wanted a titanium frame but it was going to cost $1600 and this frame was only $900. Besides, my LBS swaped with me even (frames)
If you are a big guy looking for a tough frame, this might be the ticket.
Oh Yea, I am climbing much better with this ride and as far as sprinting goes, (was that you I just passed?)

Camp Robinson