Klein 1999 Attitude Pro Hardtail Bike

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Klein 99 Attitude Pro

Submitted by ninh tran a Weekend Warrior from westminster, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Strengths:    light weight, paint job, climbing

Bottom Line:
I already own a 94 Specialized S-works steel.
I wasn't looking for a new bike but bought it on a whim last year because bike shop had a (really good) sale.
I have heard about small aluminum frame being hard on you but this bike doesn't beat you up. It is more plush than my steel bike (but then the Specialized is a '94).
The parts pick is ideal. I would not have chosen anything different had I build a custom bike.
I didn't think I would spend so much money on a bike but it's worth it. Can't put a price on passion.
Would buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   Whitting Ranch

Similar Products Used:   1994 Specialized S-work steel

Bike Setup:   Stock (XTR, Chris King, Cane Creek, Thompson, Flight, Time Carbon)

Submitted by MIKE a Weekend Warrior from CHERRY HILL, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2000

Strengths:    LITE, VERY FAST AND RESPONSIVE, SMOOTH RIDE, KLEIN APPEAL,LOOKS GREAT

Weaknesses:    PAINT CHIPS VERY EASY, CONSENTLY GETTING REAR FLATS.

Bottom Line:
I OWN 3 BIKES A A TREK 2100 COMPOSITE ROAD BIKE A TANDEM AND THIS KLEIN. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN AN AVID ROAD RIDER AND SWORN OFF OF MT. BIKES. sAYING THAT IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE BIKE IT WOULD BE THIS KLIEN ATTITUDE RACE, NOT ONLY IS IT GREAT OFF ROAD IT IS GREAT ON ROAD TOO! I LOVE THIS BIKE! THE ONLY NEGITIVES ARE THE CRAPPY ORIGINAL SEAT(WHEN ARE BIKE MFG GOING TO GET A CLUE ABOUT GOOD SEATS)AND THE PAINT JOB(FOR THIS HIGH LINE OF BIKE IT SHOULD HAVE A CLEAR COAT).

I WAS ORIGINALLY LOOKING AT BIKES SELLING FOR ABOUT $800 (LISTING FOR AROUND 1000- 1100 ON CLEARENCE, I NEVER BUY THIS YEARS MODEL) THE LOCAL SHOP HAD 3 OF THESE LEFT OVER ON CLEARENCE FOR $950.00 (THIS BIKE LIST FOR OVER $1600 AND WAS ON CLEARENCE AT OTHER SHOPS FOR $1300) ONCE I ROAD IT I HAD TO HAVE IT IT WAS MUCH BETTER THEN ANYTHING ELSE I HAD RIDEN. AT THR PRICE I PAID THIS BIKE IS A STEAL AT 1600 IT IT COMPARES FAV. WITH THE COMP.

Favorite Trail:   KINGS GRANT & MERCER COUNTY PARK

Similar Products Used:   SPEC ROCK HOPPER A1 FS COMP. TREK 8000, TRECK 8500, RALIEGH M600, CANNONDALE F700

Bike Setup:   FACTORY EXCEPT CHANGED STEM TO RISE STEM AND TO BONTERAGE CROW BAR HANDLE BARS(1 HERNIATED AND 2 BULGING DISK NEED MORE UPRIGHT RIDE), SPECIALIZED BODY GEOM. COMP SEAT

Submitted by Howard Thomas a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: October 26, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight. Huge fan of Cane Creek Crono wheelset. Stretched out but with short rear end hence weight right over bottom bracket. Is it blue or green?

Weaknesses:
Price. Wheels tricky to true. Paint chips. Bontrager Revolt (rear) wore very quickly.

Bottom Line:
An absolute dream. Do you know those bikes that beg to be ridden faster? This is one. Although Singapore is hardly the MTB Mecca, there is plenty of variety in trail conditions. Climbing is a dream; I often find I am pulling a much higher gear that I thought possible. XTR Rapid-Rise makes things sooo much easier. On hard-packed trail this bike absolutely flies. For those of us without the dollar to service our SID every 20hrs (20hrs?)a set of boots are a good idea. Owing to the stretched out position, a set of risers were a must for my more leisurely days out (that would be most of them then!). I know the wheelset has its critics but I have had no problems - they keep running and running. I must admit to finding the Time ATAC Carbons fairly difficult to disengage sometimes but they are bomb-proof and perfect when things get muddy. I had a major hospitalisation sommersaulting expedition back in May. Howard 0 Klein 1. Bike unscathed save a lost end plug. Magic. If you are looking for a forgiving lightweight flier then this is the one. Still, how much of this DIDN'T you know?

Woodcutters, Singapore