KHS 2001 Alite Hardtail Bike

3.57/5 (14 Reviews)

Submitted by Tortoise a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    inexpensive and not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    I had to replace abolutely every component on this bike

Bottom Line:
This bike is was a good ride after I replaced all the worthless crap that was stock on it. I would not recommend KHS to anyone serious about mountain biking. If you only have $500 to spend, get a decent used bike instead of a cheap KHS. Unfortunately this bike was stolen in June of 2003. But maybe that was a blessing?

Purchased At:   Gearhead Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro FSR

Bike Setup:   replaced the manitou spyder forks with the Marzochhi Flylight. Replaced saddle with the specialized Body Geometry seat. Replaced wheels with mavic wheels. Replaced shifters, cranks, pedals, derailers, bottom bracket, chainrings, cassete, etc... with shimano XT components. Changes out power tools brakes with avid.

Submitted by chuck a Weekend Warrior from los angeles ca

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    The frame gussets are strong and reliable.

Weaknesses:    The crank TruVativ Five D and BB are crap. The granny gear bent on me after the second ride. My last ride was a disaster, the middle chain ring bent and kept derailing the chain... I am placing an ad in the Recycler. No, I don't feel right selling this piece of crap to anyone. Unlike the khs dealer who sold this piece of crap to me...look out for khs dealers with forked tongues. The Judy TT Rock Shox does nothing for me when I am on a fast descent. The Judy vibrates and shutter when braking. Another mistake was the use of PowerTools front and rear brakes...hate them! If you have to save a few more dollars before you can buy the next bike up from this one it would be a wise decision to start saving.

Bottom Line:
Stay clear of TruVativ Five D, anything from PowerTools, and Rock Shox Judy TT. If this is going to be your first mtb make another choice fast. I ride every weekend and this was a poor choice for upgrading from my old rigid to a front suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica's Westridge

Purchased At:   City of Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   ??? No such thing...I have never experienced such poor quality and setup ???

Bike Setup:   PowerTools brakes, Judy TT, Kore stem, PowerTools Hubs, TruVativ Five D crank

Submitted by Oliver Whalley a Cross Country Rider from Nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, awesome geometry, stylee paint job

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Can't wait to race this beast, but the feel from training has been amazing. It climbs like a mountain goat on speed, and I have a newfound confidence when it comes to descending. Easton Ultralight tubing keeps it light and relatively stiff, and the best paint job I've seen on a bike tops it all off! A must for any bargain seeking XC racer...

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab

Purchased At:   jensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   K2 proflex 5000, Diamondback zetec comp

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Magura Marta discs, Shimano disc wheels, Salsa seatpost, Titec stem, Amoeba bars, Fizik seat, eggbeaters

Submitted by from Windsor, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent Frame

Weaknesses:    Rear Derraileur, Front Deraileur, Crank, Handlebar, Rims, Fork, Tires, Hubs, Pedals, Seat...etc

Bottom Line:
The bike is junk. Will never buy another KHS bike assembled. The fork is garbage, seals are crap, gets all kinds of water and crap in it, AND, it's also un-tuneable. This fork you'll never wn with! It's so hard, you might - as - well have on a rigid fork. I don't wanna even start on the rear hub! I have broken the quick release axel 2 times, one time from a wussy 2 footer, seeing what the bike can take, and another time RIDING UP A HILL!!! I am overall NOT impressed with this bike whatsoever. I ride my bike with 45lbs of pressure in the tires on the street, and SOMEHOW managed to get a flat spot on the rim from every day home-to-school driving. I love the frame and the paint scheme, but I don't understand why it bends rims so frequently. I replaced the hub and the rim when the 2nd axel let go, because it destroyed the rear hub, and after owning it for a week, it bent the new rim. The stock rear tire let go when I was flying down a cement street, and I'm not one of these idiots who skids out. In fact, I never did skid, and 6 mos after purchasing the bike, they let go. The handlebar is bent down, and my friends often ask "wasn't that a riser bar?" I haven't jumped it since the first incident with the axel, and the handlebar wasn't bent then. I think I'll ride the bike 'til it breaks and sue the idiots who made it. Oh wait, the rear derailleur let go on me today. Silly me! The crank is good, but the BB is junk, and developed an anoyng creak just 2 weeks after I bought it. I am 15, I have minimal funds, and this bike is a money pit. Just trying to keep it in fair shape has costed me around $300. My advice is to stay away from any bike in this price range. Shell out a little more for a bike with AT LEAST Alivio shifting. Had to ditch the seat, it hurt my ass, and sticking lets rug burn like marks on my legs. Stay away from this product!!! I swear, that bike is destined to kill me, and I'd give it 0 flamin' chilis if I could, because that's what this thing deserves.

Favorite Trail:   Brunet Park

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   Dvinci Taos, Devinci Chili Pepper, Devinci Arrowhead, Kona Stuff, Dunlop Edge 2, Custom Mongoose, Raleigh Avalanche.

Bike Setup:   Michellin Wildgripper Tires, Different Seat, Rear Alex Rim w/Old Style Hub

Submitted by Eric Stoddard a Cross Country Rider from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2002

Strengths:    In the past 4 mo's I have started to get very active in mtb. I previously owned a Kilimonjaro, Mt. Shasta. I have been very pleased with my decison to upgrade with the KHS. It has been fairly solid for me as I have been pushing my limits each time I take to the trail. I find for the price and my abilities this has been a great purchase. I would highly recommend this bike to any beginner or any rider who is not out to take 10 foot drops, some one who is looking at intermediate cross-country riding. The bike is light with a solid shock (well, I have only taken 3-4 ft drops and its worked fine. I am also 21 lbs, it is a solid shock despite what the brands name.)

Weaknesses:    I found the kevlar tires at 1.85 where not what I was looking for. They are great for the road and solid trails, watch out once you hit sand and loose gravel though. I replaced the WTB tires with a pair of Ritchey WCS alpha and Omega tires. I would recommend these tired to anyone they are phenominal!! The only other problem that I have found is the rear deralliure. It is a shimano drive train which would lead one to thik it would work like a champ..... I am yet to have it work for more then a 2 week period with out taking it in to be tuned...But i have excellent service at the shop and it is in and out in 2 mins.

Bottom Line:
Beginner to intermediate trail rider......great bike to have!!!!

Purchased At:   The Treadmill

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from sayre,pa,usa

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Strengths:    What can I say!A full Easton frame,complete Deore drivetrain
and all its other goodies.Superlight for price range.I weighed mine(21" frame)25.3 lbs on calibrated scale!
Mine came with 1.5" IRC Metro Duro Kevlar tire,Great for epic riding.

Weaknesses:    None at this point.

Bottom Line:
BUY IT,RIDE IT,and a few years upgrade with xtr comps.
and you will have a custom bike.

Purchased At:   BIKEWHOLESALE

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab,Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except for spongy wonder seat(love it) and the IRC tires.

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    Easton Elite taper wall tubing at a great value, quality where it counts, sweet cnc'd dropouts (some of the nicest I've seen) built-in disc tubing mounts, light weight, fit, handling.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily, as with most bikes, and graphics are stickers rather than decals, but that's probably where the value come in. Recently shortening warranty period due to extreme abuse of their DH bikes as Freeriders gives you a 3 year warranty peroid.

Bottom Line:
No other bike has fit me so well. It feels like a natural extension of myself and redefines "natural feel". It performs and handles so well that you don't even think about it. My wife won't touch her similarly equipped Cannondale CAAD4 w/ Fatty Headshok after riding this bike out last trip to Moab.

I am 5'10.5" w/ a 31" inseem. I chose the 15" (16.2" seat tube) after test riding both the 15" & 17". Yes, by standard fitting this bike is small, but it fits me perfectly. Maybe I'm used to freeriding, maybe I'm ahead of my time (I think the latter is true). People too often do not properly fit the complete ergonomic package. I prefer wide XC (not DH) risers and a short wheel base. With the right stem and steer spacers the next size down can fit anyone perfectly.

This bike handles like a light weight cross between a freeride and a BMX. The short wheel base tends to under steer at high speeds, so you can be really agressive with rear oversteer in fast turns. The 100mm fork allows you to weight the front end as much as you need to lighten the rear end for such maneuvers, unexpected jitters and hard stops.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim Trail, Moab Utah

Purchased At:   Peak Adventures, Sacramento CA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale (can't compare), Ventana, Santa Cruz, KHS

Bike Setup:   15" (16.2") frame, 2001 Marzocchi Z1 X-Fly 100, Orbit DL, Shimano XTR, Avid mech. disc, WTB Momentum disc hubs, DT db, Sun DS-2, Thomson seat post, 80mm stem, XC risers.

Submitted by Brendan a Downhiller from Longmeadow

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Strengths:    Brakes,Frame,Rear Derailluer,Rims,Hubs,Weight,Seat,Colors

Weaknesses:    Tires,Fork,Front Derailluer

Bottom Line:
Good for the price. Good idea to upgrade the fork. Brakes are awesome for this price. Spent $405 on upgrades but it was worth it. The stock bike is wicked light and upgraded can be even lighter. Best for cross country or you can upgrade like me and change easily into dual slalom/urban assult/free ride bike.

Favorite Trail:   Laurel Park Dual Slalom

Purchased At:   SuperGo.Com

Bike Setup:   WTB Moto Raptors (2.1), Marzocchi EXR(100mm), Azonic Handle Bars (2in. Rise), Race Face Stem, Grimeca System 8 Hydrolic Disc Brakes, Grimeca Hubs, Wtb Speed Disc Rims, WTB Speed V Seat, TruVativ Firex Crank, Deore Front Derailluer, Deore Shifters, WTB Grips, Deore 9 Speed Cassette, Mosh BMX/DS/DH Pedals

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Pullman, WA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Price, brakes, butted Easton frame, comfortable WTB seat and components.

Weaknesses:    very narrow tires (1.85"). Supergo claimed the z4 was 100mm travel, but it is only 80mm. Leaky brake master cylinders.

Bottom Line:
The WTB tires that come on the bike make the bike look like it is for riding on the roads. Nashbar.com has tires on sale that will work better in muddy conditions.

I have noticed small air bubbles coming out from under the lids of the brake's master cyclinders. I just put a little gasket grease on the seals to stop the leaking, but I haven't tested them again in the wet weather. I am very happy with the performace and feel of the brakes. They are not effected in snow and wet conditions like "V" brakes.

Supergo.com advertises the bike in its fall catolog as coming with a long travel 100mm z4, but it is a 80mm travel z4. Supergo is sending me the bumpers to change the travel to 100mm.

Best deal in the $700 price range I was able to find.

Favorite Trail:   Three Corner Rock

Purchased At:   supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rainer SE

Bike Setup:   Stock with new Maxxis 2.1 inch wide mud tires

Submitted by joe a Cross Country Rider from calgary

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Strengths:    very light, strong frame, good components, good sid xc front shock

Bottom Line:
its the besthard tail bike for the money the review i just told was for the alite 5000 only thing that is bad is you can only buy it from a team racer you cant buy it off the shelf in the store only if you buy it thru a racer

Favorite Trail:   nose hill

Purchased At:   single trak cycle

Similar Products Used:   none this is the best

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Stone Ridge NY

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    PRICE very good beginners bike

Weaknesses:    Rear Derailleur needs to be replaced it's quite slow if you cn upgrade out tourney it would be a lot better bike

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for and what you get is a really good entry level bike after somecheap upgrades

Favorite Trail:   William's Lake

Purchased At:   Table Rock Tours and Bikes

Submitted by Trevor a Weekend Warrior from SS MD, USA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Strengths:    Oh its got tons! Nice and light, only about 26 lbs, and its great for going downhill or climbing. It also just a solid bike with a solid frame. You could take everything off this bike untill you've just got the frame, and than turn it into any kind of bike. Its totally upgradable. Both front and rear derailleurs are Shimano Deore, which is not something you see all the time.

Weaknesses:    Not many. The front shock is a Rock Shox Jett, which is there least expensive shock. but hey, its still Rock Shox quality and it works great.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for a great price! It's msrp is $749, but at the place I bought it it was marked down. This bike is a little on the expensive side for those who just ride occasionaly, and might not be worth it to those who will rarely use it. Up to this point I have been more of a weekend warrior, but this bike has sparked my intrestfor adventure and I plan on hitting a lot more trails in the near future.

Purchased At:   Big Wheel Bikes Bethesda