KHS 2001 Alite 500 Hardtail Bike

Submitted by from Windsor, Ont, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent Frame

Weaknesses:    Rear Derraileur, Front Deraileur, Crank, Handlebar, Rims, Fork, Tires, Hubs, Pedals, Seat...etc

Bottom Line:
The bike is junk. Will never buy another KHS bike assembled. The fork is garbage, seals are crap, gets all kinds of water and crap in it, AND, it's also un-tuneable. This fork you'll never wn with! It's so hard, you might - as - well have on a rigid fork. I don't wanna even start on the rear hub! I have broken the quick release axel 2 times, one time from a wussy 2 footer, seeing what the bike can take, and another time RIDING UP A HILL!!! I am overall NOT impressed with this bike whatsoever. I ride my bike with 45lbs of pressure in the tires on the street, and SOMEHOW managed to get a flat spot on the rim from every day home-to-school driving. I love the frame and the paint scheme, but I don't understand why it bends rims so frequently. I replaced the hub and the rim when the 2nd axel let go, because it destroyed the rear hub, and after owning it for a week, it bent the new rim. The stock rear tire let go when I was flying down a cement street, and I'm not one of these idiots who skids out. In fact, I never did skid, and 6 mos after purchasing the bike, they let go. The handlebar is bent down, and my friends often ask "wasn't that a riser bar?" I haven't jumped it since the first incident with the axel, and the handlebar wasn't bent then. I think I'll ride the bike 'til it breaks and sue the idiots who made it. Oh wait, the rear derailleur let go on me today. Silly me! The crank is good, but the BB is junk, and developed an anoyng creak just 2 weeks after I bought it. I am 15, I have minimal funds, and this bike is a money pit. Just trying to keep it in fair shape has costed me around $300. My advice is to stay away from any bike in this price range. Shell out a little more for a bike with AT LEAST Alivio shifting. Had to ditch the seat, it hurt my ass, and sticking lets rug burn like marks on my legs. Stay away from this product!!! I swear, that bike is destined to kill me, and I'd give it 0 flamin' chilis if I could, because that's what this thing deserves.

Favorite Trail:   Brunet Park

Purchased At:   Bicycle World

Similar Products Used:   Dvinci Taos, Devinci Chili Pepper, Devinci Arrowhead, Kona Stuff, Dunlop Edge 2, Custom Mongoose, Raleigh Avalanche.

Bike Setup:   Michellin Wildgripper Tires, Different Seat, Rear Alex Rim w/Old Style Hub

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Stone Ridge NY

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    PRICE very good beginners bike

Weaknesses:    Rear Derailleur needs to be replaced it's quite slow if you cn upgrade out tourney it would be a lot better bike

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for and what you get is a really good entry level bike after somecheap upgrades

Favorite Trail:   William's Lake