KHS 2001 Alite 1000 Hardtail Bike

Submitted by Tortoise a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2003

Strengths:    inexpensive and not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    I had to replace abolutely every component on this bike

Bottom Line:
This bike is was a good ride after I replaced all the worthless crap that was stock on it. I would not recommend KHS to anyone serious about mountain biking. If you only have $500 to spend, get a decent used bike instead of a cheap KHS. Unfortunately this bike was stolen in June of 2003. But maybe that was a blessing?

Purchased At:   Gearhead Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro FSR

Bike Setup:   replaced the manitou spyder forks with the Marzochhi Flylight. Replaced saddle with the specialized Body Geometry seat. Replaced wheels with mavic wheels. Replaced shifters, cranks, pedals, derailers, bottom bracket, chainrings, cassete, etc... with shimano XT components. Changes out power tools brakes with avid.

Submitted by chuck a Weekend Warrior from los angeles ca

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    The frame gussets are strong and reliable.

Weaknesses:    The crank TruVativ Five D and BB are crap. The granny gear bent on me after the second ride. My last ride was a disaster, the middle chain ring bent and kept derailing the chain... I am placing an ad in the Recycler. No, I don't feel right selling this piece of crap to anyone. Unlike the khs dealer who sold this piece of crap to me...look out for khs dealers with forked tongues. The Judy TT Rock Shox does nothing for me when I am on a fast descent. The Judy vibrates and shutter when braking. Another mistake was the use of PowerTools front and rear brakes...hate them! If you have to save a few more dollars before you can buy the next bike up from this one it would be a wise decision to start saving.

Bottom Line:
Stay clear of TruVativ Five D, anything from PowerTools, and Rock Shox Judy TT. If this is going to be your first mtb make another choice fast. I ride every weekend and this was a poor choice for upgrading from my old rigid to a front suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica's Westridge

Purchased At:   City of Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   ??? No such thing...I have never experienced such poor quality and setup ???

Bike Setup:   PowerTools brakes, Judy TT, Kore stem, PowerTools Hubs, TruVativ Five D crank

Submitted by John Wilson a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2001

Strengths:    It has a decent set of pedals on it!

Weaknesses:    I had a problem after the first week. I have to talked to people that own the same or similar bike, and have said that the bb mount that holds the bb, seems to crack if to much force is put on it. This is a large hazard towards many riders.

Bottom Line:
don't buy it. Who can trust a bike, that can't take much force?

I certainly can't!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   deathmint trail

Purchased At:   Bike Trials

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   RST front shocks, XT rd, LX, fd, metal Heysim pedals, KHS Aluminum frame!