KHS 1999 Alite 2000 Hardtail Bike

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

1999 KHS Alite 2000, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Spyder R, 3.15" travel fork

Submitted by Steve Graning a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Strengths:    After 7 years I finally had to replace some of the stock parts. I upgraded the shifters & rear casset to XT and I had to replace the chain. Overall I am very impressed with KHS. I will buy from them again...

Weaknesses:    The Spider R only has 80mm of travel and I blew it out after 4 months of use. They did replace it for free though. I think the bike is a little heavy compared to others.

Bottom Line:
I love it, but I will be replacing the forks.

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Purchased At:   CSUS

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Cad2, & GT avalanche 1.0

Bike Setup:   Scott handle bars, XT rear casset, XT rapid fire shifters, Contental Gravity rear tire & everything else is stock.

Submitted by Wrench a Weekend Warrior from Lompoc, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong Easton Elite frame, good mid-low end shock, good parts trade-off

Weaknesses:    too cheap headset (broke immediately), saddle and heavy pedals

Bottom Line:
I was riding an old 19" KHS Descent. It is a cromolly frame with a stem suspension, velociraptors and LX V brakes added. The 19" frame is too short for me (after about 8 years of riding, always has been). Was thinking about going full suspension for a while, but everything cost too much and nothing I tried climbed that well. Was thinking about a new frame and saw the KHS 4000 Alite frame for less than 400. But my old 7 speed transmission and cheap stem shock wouldn't be worth it. I bought the Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seatpost and really liked the improvement in comfort. Then I started to see the 99 Alite 2000s for pretty cheap. When Nasbar lowered the price to 600, jumped on it.
It's a perfect bike for me. 21", 8 speed, my thudbuster fits, decent fork. I'm probably going to change over my LX brakeset since it is better that what came with it. I'm keeping my decent and converting it to a around town/commuter. KHS really hits the vaule point.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Nacimento to Pozo

Similar Products Used:   old KHS Descent

Bike Setup:   Aheadset, thudbuster seat suspension, old boatranger saddle

Submitted by Mike Johnson a Downhiller from Calgary

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Strengths:    - Frame is one hell of a durable thing

Weaknesses:    - Grip shift, where'd it go...i haven't seen it since i had the close encounter with the electrical box...
- "Powertools" is a load of crap! there products can't hold up and they just plain suck...they are not durable at all and could really use some extra strength...and then there's just there seat...OUCH! talk about impotency.
-Rims!!
-overpriced

Bottom Line:
This can be a very good bike with just a few minor changes. The only thing i have changed was my rear rim (w/ and ryhno lyte), my derailer hanger (4 times) and shifting.

I like my bike...mind you the only thing that is good on it is basicly the frame and my shifting.
The shocks that this bike come with suck! for about the first 2 weeks that i had them they stood up with the punishment that i gave em...but nowadays after 1 year i am bottoming them out...without even going off a drop.

Favorite Trail:   Alberta Cup downhill course @ COP

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   19' frame, STX RC w/ display, SUNRIM RYHNO LYTE rear rim, RST 381r, STX front derailer, LX rear derailer.

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2000

Strengths:    -Mad good frame (Easton Elite tubing)
-Looks phat

Weaknesses:    -My rear wheel went out of true relatively easily
-"Powertools" components are pretty bad, should be replaced or else suffer loss of dignity
-99 STXRC shifters are crap, they should at least tell you what gear you are on

Bottom Line:
KHS is a mad good company -- most people haven't heard much about them, but they are truly a great buy. The Alite 2000 has a super nice frame which allows for a great deal of future upgrades -- some companies will charge you a lot of loot for an equally nice frame with the same Easton Elite tubing (say, Rocky Mountain, or Dagger).

I have only a few complaints about this bike; first and foremost, most of the components are crap. You can't reallt take any of the "Powertools" components on the trail without losing face or getting made fun of, but they can be easily replaced. Once you upgrade some of the stuff, the bike is hot.

Favorite Trail:   MCP

Submitted by greg grant a Weekend Warrior from cornerbrook, newfoundland

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1999

Strengths:
solid frame, low standover height, light,
nice welds, 'powertools' brakes rock for
cheap knock-offs

Weaknesses:
the rest of the componentry is crap

Bottom Line:
Bike was fun at first, quickly outgrew componentry, replaced components after failure,
except raceface stuff which I got for a super deal. Now it is bombproof and still relatively light-very reliable (the fork sucks, though). Bottom line...go with the (slightly) more expensive Alite 4000, with LX and you'll have a fun, light bike that will always get you home again.

steady brook falls trail

1 Year

rocky mtn. thin air, shcwinn moab

17 frame, race face 2 riser, system,
turbine cranks, LX bb and drivetrain, USE xcr shockpost, shimano 535's, sram 7.0 levers, RST 381 fork

Submitted by Dave Chng a Weekend Warrior from Plano, TX

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, dorsal handling, very good Spyder R shocks!, great Shimano LX and STX-RC shifters,

Weaknesses:
Seat is too stiff, had to change out the seats,

Bottom Line:
Good value for money! Great parts and accesories! Highly recommended! Will take all abuses!

Northshore,Grapevine Lake, TX

less than 1 month

Raliegh M80, Schwin Mesa,

Factory setup, except for the seats that I change after 2 rides!

Submitted by Paul Morris a Cross-Country Rider from Botswna

Date Reviewed: May 4, 1999

Strengths:
Frame Material
wieght

Weaknesses:
rims a bit light

Bottom Line:
Nice bike for the price. I took off the IRC tyres quite soon after buying it.
Back rims got a flat spot from jumping but I'm 80Kg+ so that might be the problem. Everything else works just like it should. I'm happy

the bush

3 months

Nishiki MTB

shorter stem
LX front mech
bontrager revolt tyres

Submitted by Ken Sic O Research a Cross-Country Rider from Bend, Oregon (ore-a-gin)

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
Have ridden and read up on several brands, big dudes and small ones until making a rather unexpected decision on a KHS. Didn't consider looking at a KHS until I rode it and the frame fit oh so nice. It's probably not the best rig I've ridden as far as cost or component group but I couln't turn down the comfort of the frame combined with a free upgrade to the RS XC. The best advice I can give is to work with your dealer on upgrading to your preferances and make sure the fit is a good one. Moreover, in the search for that perfect ride size DOES matter. Also see MT Biker Action Mag. for additional info. and review.
Hey! to the pooner from Brazil-my mother's home land. p.s. The bike feels light but try dropping some unwanted lbs. in the crank, b bracket or go to the 9spd, the spyder R shock is light but I prefered a bit more, also see M Bomber 2-4.

The one that makes me poon

less than 1 month

LX shifters
XT brakes
up'd to Rock Shock XC
bar ends briefs

Submitted by Fabio Cembranel a Cross-Country Rider from Novo Hamburgo, RS, Brazil

Date Reviewed: March 31, 1999

Strengths:
Colors
Frame(geometry)
Fork (manitou spider -r )

Weaknesses:
shiftters(shimano 8S)

Bottom Line:
Alite2000 is a good bike, has a good frame, good fork, good components exception the shifters(shimano 8s) I think it is so poor.

3 months

GT Tequesta

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from Hamilton, NJ

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Despite the wild colors this bike comes in, you must look at what you are getting. For the price this bike is well worth the money. I have heard nothing but positive remarks. The only down fall I have heard of this bike is the necessity for the rear wheel to be trued. I don't know whether this is because the rider's beat the bike to death or not, but I would also recomend this bike.