K2 2000 Zed X Hardtail Bike

4.65/5 (20 Reviews)
Weight : 25.50000 MSRP : $825.00

mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Noleen Mega Air, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by Jed Jones a Cross Country Rider from Northern New York

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    One hell of a climber, easily upgradeable, (I took full advantage of that fact) fast bike, will never get rid of it, just keep ungrading. Very light frame

Weaknesses:    Well, the original parts were crap, only things original are the frame and the seat post.

Bottom Line:
This bike has been great to me. I've climbed some mountains, bombed down some, did some races, taken many falls. I just keep upgrading, and keep riding.

Favorite Trail:   too many to mention

Purchased At:   High Peaks Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Rockhopper, Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   Currently I have XTR rear and sram front, mavic 517s on XT hubs, rock shox judy sl, and an LX crank which will be replaced soon. Will be completely sram soon, and race face crank. And a Fox fork (I wish)

Submitted by winterwarrior a Cross Country Rider from Canterbury, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    Strong frame, tough finish, disc ready hubs, top forks, reasonable gearset for price.

Bottom Line:
Great frame for the money. This bike has been used and abused, fast downhills, long XC trips and lately jumping. The frame is the best part of the bike, compact, solid. The finish and welds are still great after 3 years and many bailouts. A great frame to upgrade and jump - is set up for discs all round. Definite bonus.
You can't go wrong with this bike for the price.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6700, Cannondale F500

Bike Setup:   Mavic 321 rims, White ind. hubs, Deore hydraulic brakes, Shiver SC forks, FSA stem, Azonic bars, Da Bomb headset

Submitted by Todd Schlemmer a Cross Country Rider from Seattle Area

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2004

Strengths:    Nice Frameset - Disk ready, cranks, PRICEPOINT brakes+/- Noleen airshock (also disk ready), TruVativ cranks. WTB saddle.

Weaknesses:    bottom feeder components: Deore derailleurs, crappy Formula hubs, rims, stem.

Bottom Line:
Did I mention that this is a PRICEPOINT ride? I bought this purely because it was on sale and it fit the hitch on the Burley Bike Trailer I pull the kids around in. In the course of 3 years I killed the following: Formula Rear hub (freehub nuked). Stem (pinch bolt stripped), Front rim (taco'd), Headset (partly my fault - no maintanence - but not sealed). I sh1tcanned the "K2 brand" pedals by Wellgo and put some proper SPuDs on it. The Deore (NOT LX, XT) derailleurs are J-U-N-K; The springs are totally inadequate to the job of shifting quickly, much less under any kind of load.

Don't get me wrong - I have used this bike HARD. It has borne my fat a$$ over hill and dale. I have enjoyed many spectacular crashes on this steed. I just got a '04 Ellsworth Id and this K2 is going to be revamped as a Singlespeed Disk hardtail. Fun fun fun.

High value for intial cost, lower overall because of nec. upgrades to cheapo failure parts.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mtn / Anything I can't clean

Purchased At:   on sale at REI

Similar Products Used:   cannondale, specialized

Bike Setup:   This is a good looking hardtail. The red/white paint job is nice, and the frame seems to be TIG welded well. The cheapo parts hanging on it LOOK good...

Submitted by Steven Downey a Weekend Warrior from North Attleboro, MA USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, 27 speed, disc ready wheels, great climber, a real looker.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. Great price. Light, climbs like a mountain goat. Nice componentry. Worthy of upgrades. I find the Noleen Mega Air shock a bit stiff. I weigh 200 lbs and run the shock at 160 psi. Bought a Topeak shock pump from the dealer who sold me the bike. Lowest measurable psi is 60. I would recommend waiting for shop to order the Noleen shock pump or trying a Schwinn pump that offers lower readings especially for riders who weigh 170 or less. I am considering adding an Avid mechanical disk brake to the front.

Favorite Trail:   no name trail - N.A.

Purchased At:   Dedham Bike, Dedham, MA

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Frontier (rigid), KHS FXT Trail (dualie)

Bike Setup:   Stock save for Bontrager Crowbar riser bar, USE SX suspension seatpost.

Submitted by Bill Makky a Weekend Warrior from Whitestone,N.Y.

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2001

Strengths:    The way it looks,price and the fact that they arent a dime a dozen.

Weaknesses:    The cranks are begining to creek a little, remember to tighten them evey once in a while. My seat also twisted after a minor mishap.

Bottom Line:
The schwinn was my first bike and I have no complaints but it was time for an upgrade. My choices came down to the fisher or the k2. The k2 fit me better and I loved the way it looks so I bought it. The fork is great and I love the way she handles. The bike is light and has potential to be even lighter. My times droped immeadiatly on the trail and the bike gives me confidence to go faster. I firmly believe that you are getting equal performance as the higher priced bikes. All the components are good enough remember this is a sub 1000 dollar bike. The cranks are the only thing that annoys me. If your an intermediate rider looking for a ride this is the bike for you. As your skill increases the k2 will do you just fine.

Favorite Trail:   stillwell trail L.I.

Purchased At:   Peak Mountain Bike

Similar Products Used:   Scwinn Mesa gsx,trek 4500,and gary fisher big sur

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by David Saysamone a Cross Country Rider from Fresno, CA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Strengths:    Everything on this bike is just perfect or near perfection. For the $650 I paid, there was NO better deal or bike. The Noleen mega air kicks @ss! Love it, heavier then SID, but perfect for me. The Avid brakes and levers are super strong and the TruVativ crank set is superlight.

Weaknesses:    The seat HURTS! I bent the crap out of the rails already, took me one year to get used to it. Why didn't I replace it earlier???? Because I'm too lazy to readjust seat angle, and it was perfect. That's the only weakness, but a Flite Titanium, drop weight. Oh yeah, those K2 (wellgo) pedals are TERRIBLE (worst part) Can't stay in the pedals and no positive engagement feel.

Bottom Line:
bottom line? It's a hell of a deal and a hell of a bike. K2 really did a great job of balancing parts and quality into this bike. What else can you ask for the price? Shocks feel great, frame is nicely welded and looks good. Great parts. No mixing of parts. Great, just GREAT! Plus you ACTUALLY get 99% of a whole parts groupo. Well, I'm not fond of the wheels, but they're strong and worked out for me till I replaced them a year later with sealed cartride disc wheels. As I said about the parts, you get a avid lever and brakes setup. matching. Shimano Deore shifters, deore front and rear deraileurs. matching. Rare to match front and rear. the cassette is an Alivio though, HG50, but looks sharp, decently weighed, shifts good and the bottom bracket is also Alivio I think. But that's the only square taper BEFORE reaching spline. You get the super light square taper TruVativ cranks, so they had to put in the alivio bottom bracket. I replaced mine with an old school XTR square sealed cartridge, last year of manufacturing. So the BB and crank set is now about 15-20 grams over the spline hollowtech XTR. Not bad for a 100 buck set up. Got my 5 flaming corpses for value, 4 smoldering dead dudes for overall. The seat hurts my ass, I gotta take one for my stupidity. But it looks good!

Favorite Trail:   Still exploring the area around my new town

Purchased At:   Kevin's Bikes (Merced)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized M2 S-works, Answer Ti spring (sucks!), SID SL, Schwinn homegrown hardtail.

Bike Setup:   First stock, but swapped to SRAM plasma shifters. 2nd Kore Stem for 0 degree rise. 3rd had shop hunt me down a square taper XTR bottom bracket 4th hunted down some Shimano 747 pedals (great!) 5th Coda Competition Disc brakes. 6th Coda expert disc wheels. That is how it stands now. Wheels and brakes on Ebay. Soon it'll be 1st, 2nd, Sun-Ringle RPM Lite or Mavic Crosslink and Avid speed dial 7 levers w/ arch rival 50's and XT cassette. Then later on Flite seat, Easton carbon flat bar, and lighter post, maybe. don't want to dump too much cash, still want a Schwinn Rocket 88 stage 1

Submitted by Ben Garcia a Cross Country Rider from Pearl City, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    Frame and Fork design are well above the cost of this bike.
I have found thru several other friends and riders that the
Noleen fork is comparible to some of the top of the line
after market forks.

Weaknesses:    Weinman Rims

Bottom Line:
The bike off of the showroom floor was very impressive. I
felt that the bike was the best bang for the buck buy I
could find. Although I have made several upgrades I feel
the component level when purchased was suffice it all worked
well together and never gave any problems. After the upgrades I now look forward to just hammering thru some of
the tuffer trails here in Hawaii with no doubt the frame and
fork setup beneath me will withstand all the riding I can
do. Off the floor this bike is a great buy for any intermediate level rider looking for a well put together
mountain bike.

Selle Italia Flite Titanium seat
Diamondback Barefoot platform pedals

Submitted by Chip B a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee, Florida

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2000

Strengths:    FORKS!!!, Light Weight, Components

Weaknesses:    Wheels, Trashed the front already.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product for the beginner how wants qaulity without spending a load of money or for the intermediate rider how wants to move up to a better bike. The forks are great, I have not had a problems with them as of yet. The components are good however, I've had a problem getting the derailer set up like i like them.

Overall, I love the bike and it was money well spent!

Favorite Trail:   Red Bug

Purchased At:   Oshman's

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by David M a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA, Cobb

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Strengths:    Great frame, great shock, and great component selection. It has held up well minus the rear wheel. It got thrashed and had to be replaced. K2 was good about it they hooked me up with a xt disc ready hub.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found excepr for the rear hub. I bought a new stem and tires. The tires suck and the bar ends are too big. The seat is a little hard and bent one time i landed hard. The fork slipped from the crown an eighth of and inch but k2 is sending me a 2001 shock.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for the money. I ride about 50 miles a week and thrash it every time. I've fliped a couple times but the bike has remained intacked. I would recommend this bike for someone who is looking in to buying their second bike which is what mine was. The overall appeal of this bike is awesome. It has great components and is well built only a few upgrades like the tires, stem and wheels and this is a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek - awesome single track

Purchased At:   Gallyans

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Titec big al stem, xt disc ready hubs and sun rhino lite rims.

Submitted by Charles Phares from Tacoma

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2000

Strengths:    *Great deal.
*Upgradeable to disc brakes.
*Comes with clipless pedals and a great fork.

Weaknesses:    *Deore shifters and derailers, *maybe*.
*Color: not a fan of red.
*Tires are a little slick for Pacific Northwest winter riding.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great buy. I can't believe the deal I got: $450 on end-of-season clearance sale.

The shock is very nice, except for the need for the pump. Oh well. Some say that the Deore components are sub-par, we'll see. Clipless pedals work great, especially for somone who hasn't been riding them long. And I agree with others that the tires are a little slick.

I got a medium frame size, being 5-9. It feels a little small, but I think it fits fine. If you are any taller than I am, go with a large.

So far, I'm really happy with the bike. People that should consider this bike: anyone making the move from a fully rigid bike, or an off-brand bike. Also a good buy for ANYONE if you can get it for the price that I did.

Favorite Trail:   Victor Falls

Purchased At:   REI - Federal Way Store

Similar Products Used:   GT Oupost Trail - Fully Rigid

Bike Setup:   Stock. Planning on adding riser bars and maybe a shock seatpost. Disc brakes when the v-brakes wear out.

Submitted by Ulice Velasquez a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA, U.S.

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light, stiff, durable frame. The fork is awsome very quiet, and easy adjustablity

Weaknesses:    handlebars, kinda of cheap brakes, soft nonlasting tires

Bottom Line:
The bike hasn't given me any problems only the shock in the begining. The shock is beast and smooth when pressure is right for you. Design is goos with the frame and stuff. it also 27 speed and i be going fast as nutts and this is a bike you can easily show off in, so i REALLY recomend this bike, and if your interest look for the price because i got an awsome price, 500 dollars and that's how much the for kinda costs, so it a kick ass bike for the buck

Favorite Trail:   Wakefeild or anything

Purchased At:   Hudson Trail Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Speacialized expedition FSR my cousins

Bike Setup:   stock but im going to hook it up soon

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, excellent fork, great components for the price, sweet styling, picked as best value in several consumer reports

Weaknesses:    generic seatpost, handlebars, headset, soft tires, weak rims

Bottom Line:
The perfect bike for intermediate riders. Competitive stock bike, and can be easily upgraded to a very competitive bike. The fork is worth over half of the bike alone. Rims are weak, I taco'd one after a week on a dip in the trail and I have to true the rims nearly after every ride(I weigh 185 lbs). I also have bent the seat post. Neadless to say I am not easy on a bike, and I am very happy with the exception of the aforementioned items. I plan to upgrade the rims as soon as I get the cash.

Purchased At:   Wheels and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cinder Cone, FSR, Trek 8000

Bike Setup:   Huthcinson Python tires, Race Face Stem, Salsa post, XT rear der, Easton h-bar, titanium clipless pedals

Submitted by John Richmond a Downhiller from Wyckoff, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2000

Strengths:    The Frame is very light. The Tires are OK.

Weaknesses:    For some reason my fork is terrible. I also destroyed the useless flexpost. I fooled around with the brakes but they still stink.

Bottom Line:
If you need a very nice on road or a rugged off road, i highly recommend this baby. Even though it has weeknesses, i still give it a 5!

Purchased At:   Ski Barn

Bike Setup:   Stock except new no shock seatpost and getting a new fork.

Submitted by Joey a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2000

Strengths:    Components
Fork
Frame
Wheels are good due to upgradability to disc brakes

Weaknesses:    Saddle
Chain

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for OTHER than run-of-the-mill everyone has got one bike, than this is for you. K2 has put together a great mid level bike. The frame is very strong and the geometry of it fits my 6', 210lb body. The components are not top line but they are very durable. I broke the shimano chain first day out but it really wasn't the chains fault. Noleens mega air shock has got to be one of the simplist and plushest shock out there. Only draw back is you have to shell out 25 bucks or so for a shock pump. Other than that its is a great bike and even greater deal! I'll recommend a K2 anyday.

Favorite Trail:   Catawba