K2 1999 Bike Zed M Hardtail Bike

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

1999 K2 Bike Zed M, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, K2 Smart Fork, 3.0" travel fork

Submitted by wolfgangbrett a Downhiller from new york

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2011

Strengths:    strong yet light frame

Weaknesses:    smart forks, rims, crank rings

Bottom Line:
i got this bike used and i think its an excellent bike even tho it has some problems but no bike is perfect. i put this bike through hell and its still rides good.

Bike Setup:   great for down hill, every day use

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from South Texas

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2002

Strengths:    Frame
Componets
Price

Weaknesses:    Fork
Tires

Bottom Line:
I believe in rigid steel bikes. Trek got it right with the 900 series, but alas, they're a thing of the past. After my 970 was stolen, I had to find a new baby. Something about this butt ugly pastel lime green K2 caught my eye.

This was a NOS 2000 I got dirt cheap. I'm big and heavy (6'4", 240) and hard on equipment. So far the bike rocks. According to the K2 website specs, this bike must have been upgraded before I saw it. Whatever the reason, it shifts like a demon on rough uphills. The Avid brakes are sweet on nasty downhills. The handling is great, if a bit stiff. It doesn't break under abuse. Meets my needs.

The fork is heavy, the rebound control is flaky and I'm still uncomfortable with electronic controls. The original tires suck in rocks and mud, but they're okay for street riding, if you need that.

This is a great bike if you can lay hands on one. The big sell for me was the price given the setup, but no regrets, no matter the price.

Purchased At:   Java

Similar Products Used:   Steel Treks, Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock with XT rear der., 9sp. HG

Submitted by Yo Dude a Cross Country Rider from TEXAS, North America

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    FRAME...ya just can't hurt it!!!

Weaknesses:    1-SmartFork (JOKE...JUNK!!!) 2-Weinmann rims 3-cheap headset 4-cheap saddle 5-JUNK tires

Bottom Line:
Mine is a 2000 model - K2 didn't list one for some reason. I bought it for the GF, once it was upgraded I liked it so much I race on it! Don't worry about HER - she got the Yeti...LOL!!! I think it's one of the best XC race frames available to a non-sponsored rider. It cost close to a grand, and I spent another 800 in upgrades, but it's worth every cent. The best thing you can do to the stock bike is SEND THE SMARTFORK BACK TO K2 IMMEDIATELY. It's been recalled by K2 'cause the electronics NEVER work. Too heavy anyway, you'll drop 2-3 pounds with a SID or Marzo.

Straight off the showroom this is a darn decent ride for the money - if you spend a few extra bucks (FORK, wheelset and crank) on ebay, this thing will hold its own at ANY race venue in the country. I give it as many belly-burners as possible!!

Favorite Trail:   the one i rode this morning

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski Houston

Similar Products Used:   Brass Monkey, Yeti ARC, Indian Fire Trail

Bike Setup:   There's nothing left of the original parts except the frame, seatpost collar and pedals - I put a 2001 XT 9-speed kit, custom Nuke-Proof/Velocity wheelset, Z2 bomber, Arch40 brakes and a flex-post on it

Submitted by Kevin Vagen a Weekend Warrior from Hazlet, New Jersey, United States of America

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2000

Strengths:    Great for the price, I paid $660 for it and didnt waste a penny on it. climbs like a DEMON. I can whoop my friend on his F700 on any climb, any day, and he rides a hell of a lot more than me.

Weaknesses:    Well the tires. Also, the frame is too big for me (my fault), and thats about it.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It's my first, and I find nothing wrong with it, cept its too big for me. The tires suck, but that's not a big deal. I love the fully integrated LX drivetrain. Unfortunately, the brakes are being outdated by newer parallel products. I paid good money for it, and I am soo happy with it. I put a suspension seatpost on it, because the rear end is kind of bitter. What sucked is the dealer who I bought it from rigged it up to break on me, I had to change the derailleur hanger, the derailleur, the fork, but I dont regret buying this one bit. It's an XC bike strictly though, they even clue you in with no disc mounts on the back. I wish K2 wasnt sucha WUSS nowadays, and make new bikes like the 1999 K2 Zed M.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne Woods

Purchased At:   Mountain and Boardertown

Bike Setup:   Stock set-up, removed the dumb bar ends (all are), added an XT rear derailleur. I'm going to put a Carbon Smart XLink on this bad boy. Nashbar suspension seatpost

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Portland Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    Great fork, Nice frame, Good wheels, great price, tracks thru any high speed run

Weaknesses:    Bar ends, tires are not what I would choose myself

Bottom Line:
great bike it reminds me of my race bike (GT Avalanche AL)
for about one third the money. If I can shave 2 or 3 pounds off of the K2 it will be the new racer in the stable. Perfect for the beginer to intermediate rider and even the beginer racer.

Favorite Trail:   Gnar-Gnar

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F600, trek 6000, GT Avalanche Al (still own) Gary Fisher Hoo Koo

Bike Setup:   stock except I got the shop to upgrade the whole bike to 2000 Mega 9 XT to seal the deal (last year for $825)

Submitted by Kerry Hilts a Weekend Warrior from Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    Brakes, Seat, Frame, Fork, Gears (very smooth), and Appearance (even though my friends call it a Christmas Tree. This bike handles very well, and is very forgiving.

Weaknesses:    Non So Far

Bottom Line:
I am a big guy and the ride is very smoth, handles well off road as well as on. Fond it to be one of the smoothest shifting bikes I tested.

I understand the 2000 models of K2 will even have a better front suspension.

Worth taking a look at - especially for its price and components. I bought my bike off season, and got it for nearnly 1/2 price off retail.

Overall very sweet.

Favorite Trail:   still discovering

Similar Products Used:   TREK 8000, KONA Lava Dome, CANONDALE 500

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Medicine Man a Cross-Country Rider from Berlin Hts Ohio

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1999

Strengths:
Very forgiving ride. Really rails. Stiff ride lends to quickness on the trail. SmartFork is sweet...if it doesn't get wet

Weaknesses:
Rear brake stinks. Sent fork back for re-build took three weeks (light quit working) Fork is awesome when dialed in.

Bottom Line:
Quality is lacking in paint job. Still a great bike for the buck. When fork came back from re-build they re-used the gaskets. Sensor light still is not working properly. Dealer is a joke!

The Woods - local trails

6 months

Schwinn HomeGrown, Trek 7000

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Norman, OK

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1999

Strengths:
the frame is really stout. I can rail on this
bike and it handles my lack of style. The
drive train and brakes Lx/Xt/avid 2.0. work well together. It is really accurate and easy to tune. The best part is the low price point at which it sells. and the smart fork performs well on the trails.

Weaknesses:
Smart fork, bottom bracket, and wire bead Geax tires are too heavy. my bike weighs in at 27+ lbs. (medium). Bar ends are too big. They should be on the front of a 70's Caddy. (they look like bull horns)

Bottom Line:
great enthusiast bike. It can easily be lightend just by changing the tires.
I really like how accurate it is in the dirt! Just 3 lbs. heavier than I would like it.
maybe next year K2 will out fit it with the new Noleen air shock!

less than 1 month

I work at a bike shop, name them. including a friends Breezer lightning
with full xtr.

Submitted by deke a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: August 26, 1999

Strengths:
Awesome fork
xt rear der.
Avid 1.9 brakes
SDG Bel Air saddle

Weaknesses:
Bar ends were too big.

Bottom Line:
This bike is solid, solid, solid. This bike has taken some serious abuse. It still rides like day one. I only made one modification. I changed the flat bars for Race Face riser bars.

3 months

Kona Explosif
Marin Indian Fire Trail

Scott

Submitted by R. Miller a Weekend Warrior from Flower Mound, Texas

Date Reviewed: June 29, 1999

Strengths:
Smart Shock
Component mix
Price

Weaknesses:
None so far. Could use a suspension seat post.

Bottom Line:
I was originally looking at the Zed X at 799.00 but the dealer had the uprated M model that retails for 1100.00 priced at 899.00. Easy choice since the uprated components were worth much more than the 100.00 difference. I have thrashed it on several cross country runs and have had zero problems. Top notch bike for the price!

Greenbelt, Denton, Texas

less than 1 month

Mongoose
Diamondback

Stock setup

Submitted by Megan a Weekend Warrior from Mad Town

Date Reviewed: June 20, 1999

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this bike ROCKS for the price. I fell in love as soon as I laid eyes on it! The frame is sturdy (although, I have only owned it for three months and am a relatively small person (5'2'-115 lbs)); it has great components (LX), and most importantly, it has the Smart Shock system which is unbelieveable! The only bad thing about this bike is it's weight, but even that isn't so bad. I give this puppy 5 jabeneros!

3 months