K2 Bike K2 Flying Monkey Hardtail Bike

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Through meditation and repetitive prayer, it is possible to transcend beyond the restrictions of the body and become one with your surroundings. When approaching huge wheelie drops you can be confident that the Flyin Monkey's Aggro frame and 100mm of front suspension can take it. Clear your mind and repeat after me: be the bike....be the bike....be the bike....be the bike.

Submitted by ninjadom a Downhiller from kamloops B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Im 215lb. bike holds me fine good stock everything

Weaknesses:    rims little week for me. wish it had better brakes

Bottom Line:
Ilove this bike I will take it to my grave.I could not gete more bang for my buck anywhare.This bike owes me nothing I owe it a tune up!

Favorite Trail:   knutsford

Purchased At:   a good friend

Similar Products Used:   rocky mountian fire mountian

Bike Setup:   pritty mutch stock

Submitted by EaterOfDog from Central Florida

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    2002 Flying Monkey
Only $500 at Supergo! Very nice frame. Welds look like rolls of nickels. Burly construction! NO flex. Mostly decent parts. Good brakes and tires. DS/freeride type frame is fun to session on.

Weaknesses:    Lame cranks and BB.

Bottom Line:
This would have been a good deal at the original price of $1100. For $500, it's the bomb. It's hard to find this style of bike at a good price. It looks like the frame will outlive the parts by a long shot. Time to buy some upgrades!

Purchased At:   $500

Similar Products Used:   Mid-price cross country bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Manitou Black Comp fork. WTB dual duty rims on deore hubs. Avid disk brakes.

Submitted by Jeston Norenberg a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    Great bike! Super strong frame, good looking paint, decent component package.

Weaknesses:    Judy XC fork is somewhat noise (kinda has a springing sound in it).

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is I have less than 800 clams in a bike that is capable of more than I am. I use it for XC and its a blast. Yes, it is heavy and yes, there are better XC bikes out there but you'd be hard pressed to get one for what I have invested.

Favorite Trail:   Pleasanton Ridge

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Marin Muirwoods, Raleigh M40

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Avid mechanical disc brakes, Ritchey comp seatpost, Terry Dragonfly saddle, Forte Team Stem, Crank Brothers Mallet C peddles, and Bontrager flat handle bar.

Submitted by Benoit Landry a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2002

Strengths:    beefy, compact, reliable-looking frame, very stiff(in comparison to what I've ridden before), smooth great shifting, good position for downhill but still acceptable for climbing. mean-looking paintjob. very manoeuvrable, maybe due to the small frame?

Weaknesses:    Judy XC fork seems a bit on the weak side, flexes a bit & I can bottom it out if I really try.. I couldn't do that on my old Zeta TL... stanchion tubes are tiny! something in the stem is creaking. Spokes were loose after only a few rides.

Bottom Line:
I think I got what I paid for, but I'm not sure I'd pay the full price (almost $1000). If the bike came with a marzocchi, well, it would be a different story. the Judy XC is decent, but seems flimsy. (coming from a 150 lb rider.. shrug). Moreover, if the fork does fail, I'll be getting a replacement 2002 Judy, which I hear sucks. hmm.
The small frame is very easy to steer through tight technical sections, sharp turns and narrow lines.
all in all an excellent bike,
4 chilis for value, since the MSRP is high. buy this if you can get a good deal!!
5 chilis overall, since it serves me perfectly for now.

Favorite Trail:   Camp Fortune ski centre

Purchased At:   Cyvle Power, in Ottawa

Similar Products Used:   none, really.. only XC bikes

Bike Setup:   stock. Avid single digit 3 brakes+levers, deore drivetrain, Zac 19 rims, Geax blade 2.25 tires, judy XC 100 fork, and that's all I can think of..

Submitted by BigRed a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2002

Strengths:    Super strong frame, great for DH, trials, some cross. Made like a tank for beating the living hell out of it or for big dudes like me. Not much of the factory specs need to be upgraded (Avid Brakes, disc capable hubs, Judy XC 100 mm fork). I like this bike a lot.

Weaknesses:    The wheels needed to be adjusted better, the frame and some parts came scratched, but that was more of the seller's fault. I have beaten on this bike very hard and found only a few minor flaws (seatpost is creaky, pedals could be stronger, BB is a bit flexy), but the weakest thing about this bike is that it is horrible on pavement. But It's not designed for it, so feel free to disregard.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for hard riders. It's heavy for the gram counters, but I can't trust the light stuff. It's got great geometry for trials and technical riding and comes out of the box ready to tear things up (as long as a professional mechanic sets it up right from that box). It was awesome for $699 since it lists at $1000. When tweaked right, it's a great bike and it looks great.

Purchased At:   bicycleblowout.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized P3, my old mod'd bike that I gave to my sister.

Bike Setup:   Stock parts (full deore, avid sd brakes and levers, weinman rims and geax blade tires). Added brake boosters (helped a bit) and will be upgrading to a titec stem because the factory stem is creaky.

2002 K2 Flying Monkey

Any ideas on what I should be paying for one in good condition? Is it worth my money, being 7 years old?Read More »

k2 flying monkey questions-good starter bike?

been riding bmx for a couple years now blah blah blah-want to start riding the streets on an urban frame with front fork-the bike is an 03 with pretty good components-anybody out there riding this bike-i can get a pretty good deal on one through a friend of mine. are they somewhat light?and whats t ... Read More »

k2 2002 flying monkey for $500 a good deal?

I was wondering if you guys think a [URL=http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=24159&lsubcat_id=7&lcat_id=7604]2002 K2 Flying Monkey[/URL] for $500 is a really good deal or only an okay one. It says its about 50% off so I'm not sure what to think. They have a few bikes that are on sale [URL=ht ... Read More »