Jamis 2000 Eureka Hardtail Bike

Weight : 26.50000 MSRP : $890.00

mountain bike, front suspension

Submitted by Andrew Chin a Cross Country Rider from Townsville, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Strengths:    Price and Spec! I bought second hand in almost pristine condition (for two years the previous owner either never rode it or never took it off road - not a scratch anywhere!)Great geometry, good spec and quality components on a tight budget. Climbs like king kong on steroids. I got the 19" frame and it feels great.

Weaknesses:    The middle chain ring kept bending WITHOUT any impacts, especially just behind the crank where you put on pressure when putting the power down. Got it replaced. Talked it over with my LBS, suspect weak chain ring Shimano? Also, a lot of fiddling to eliminate annoying chain rub against the front derailleur. Original tyres (Hutchinson chamelons 1.95s)were nice on the road or on hardpack but didn't inspire confidence in the wet or on the rough. Replaced with wider (2.1) Ritchy Excavder tyres and it makes a difference!

Bottom Line:
Overall a great entry level package and you get bang for buck. The bike feels fast and efficient, it cruises has performed in the conditions I’ve been riding (wet and dry, rock gardens, fire roads, stream crossings, climbing, sandy/rocky hardpack). It’s no downhill rig, hardly surprising given the XC design. Frame feels solid but time will tell. Manitou Magnum R shock seems fine to me, plush movement, smooth rebound and it’s never bottomed out ever, and I’m a big rider (6’2” 200lbs+). Given the money I could upgrade to disc brakes and clipless pedals (been eyeing off a set of crank bros Candy Cs), but the bike and set up is doing a good job right now. Bottom line – good performance and great value, we’ll see how it holds up over the next year or so.

Favorite Trail:   Alligator Creek

Purchased At:   Qld Cycle Supplies

Similar Products Used:   Giant

Bike Setup:   Pretty much standard - XT rear mech, deore front der, hubs and shifters, hollowtech cranks, titec seatpost, SDG bel-air saddle, Manitou Magnum R shock, Avid 2.0 brakes, titec hellbent riser bar, SUN ZJ18 rims, Tyres - Ritchey Excavader 2.1s

Submitted by N W a Cross Country Rider from Watkins Glen,NY

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2001

Strengths:    solid frame, XT drivetrain,

Weaknesses:    Chainrings, fork is a bit weak, sometimes feels heavy,

Bottom Line:
Decent bike for the $. Shock is too soft for me, upgraded to a stiff ride kit from Manitou. Riser bar is too wide for XC riding. The bike rides well, easy to pick up speed and is a good climber. Brakes are fine. Rock Shox seatpost is no good for XC racing. I bent my middle chainring while riding, how this happened is beyond me. Overall it is a good bike. I would have bought a lighter bike if I knew I was going to be racing so much.

Purchased At:   Terrapin Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   GT,

Bike Setup:   no riser bar, stock

Submitted by John Haupt a Weekend Warrior from Bear, DE

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Strengths:    Bang for Buck, Light Weight quality Frame, Mid to Top End Components (Avid 1.9, XT Rear Derailer), Rock Shock Suspension Seatpost, Clipless pedals, HollowTech Crank, 27 speed, Shimano RapidFire Shifters

Weaknesses:    Not fond of the Titec HellBent bar, possibly the tires (lot of push on the trails). Front shock (Manitou Magnum R) may be wornout already.

Bottom Line:
I followed the suggestion to buy big and purchased a 19" (I'm 5'9") and am happy w/the fit. Haven't made any changes except for replacing worn brakes. Tires will be the next to go. I've got my eye on Avid Mechanical disks to go on the disc mounts provided. This was as much of an investment as a purchase, excellent frame to support future upgrades. I love to fly down hills and this bike doesn't hold you back, tracks well, doesn't jump around. Jamis makes quality bikes and I got one. If you are on a budget and want quality...Buy Jamis.

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run (DE), Fair Hill (MD)

Purchased At:   Henry's Bikes (DE)

Similar Products Used:   Prior (and only) ride was a low end Department Store Aluminum bike...heavy with low end components that were worn out within a year.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Richard Ellis from London

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Strengths:    Groupset, frame build and now discounted!!

Weaknesses:    Ride

Bottom Line:
I had high hopes for this baby, top quality groupset and good looks, so myself and a buddy tryed it out.

My buddy hated it within a few mins of riding, it just doesn't work.

So I tried it first impressions were neutral, but try and climb or sprint, it's just like your riding in mud. The dam thing just doesn't ride at all well.

Value for money only comes if it rides as well as it looks and this one just didn't cut it, look else where.

Similar Products Used:   Kona Nunu, Cindercone, Lavadome. Marin Pine Mountain, etc

Bike Setup:   Just as it comes

Submitted by Basile a Cross Country Rider from York, PA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2000

Strengths:    Bang for your buck, geometry, stock specs

Weaknesses:    Front Shock, tires

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome for the price and my LBS has an excellent relationship with them. A great company! I blew out the stock shock (Manitou Magnum-R) but was able to upgrade under the warranty. Did feel a little cramped in the cockpit so I dumped the Riser bar and went flat (I'm 5'7" and got a 17"). No problem now. The rockshock seatpost was an awesome addition but ultimately gave it up to my girlfriend who needed it more than me. I was really after the Jamis Dakota but the price and the downhill capabilities attracted me to the Eureka. Overall awesome bike!

Favorite Trail:   French Creek State Park

Purchased At:   Cycleworks

Bike Setup:   added Titec flat bar, Titec seatpost and Manitou SX-R front shock

Submitted by Buzz Nine a Cross Country Rider from Bedford NH USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    value - components for the money were great and $200-300 under comparable especially with the seatpost. kudos on the avid 2.0s - you really need to have a feel for braking & modulation in this neck of the woods. My last bike was a low-end steel rigid so this one feels great on all trails. My frame of reference is limited! Like I said I chose Jamis for the value.

Weaknesses:    1) a little tight in the cockpit - echo the other reviewer's words on all fronts - think about sizing up a notch (i am 5'8" and ride the 17")2)just a little upright for east coast climbing (turned the stem upside down and ride the seat back a little and this helps) 3)hutchison chameleons are not near knarly enuf for NE riding - planning to get some ole out of fashion knobbies to replace these. ditto on the bars - tight singletrack may hang you up

Bottom Line:
a great value package - I like this bike alot (especially compared to what I used to ride). If you are a committed beg/int looking to step up without sacrificing your kid's college tuition then this is a good choice. watch the sizing however and I also recommend that you be aware of what position you like to ride ...

Favorite Trail:   Massebesic single tracks

Purchased At:   Alternative bike ship

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab 2 or Moab 1 I forget which - very similar spec (fork is a step up from magnum r)- also shopped Giant, GT, Gary fisher, Schwinn - all the usual suspects - all suspect on one or more components at this price range

Bike Setup:   stock at this point (except the upside down stem)- plan to dump the hutchison's ASAP and MAYBE cut the bars

Submitted by Jordan Kamysiak a Weekend Warrior from Alpena, MI

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    Has great frame that is light and quick. Incredable Rockshox seatpost that is almost like full suspention without sucking up the energy when you pedal.

Weaknesses:    The handle bars were a little long about 4" . They should be cut a little if buying.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for the money and i think cause of the components. The clipless pedal help a lot. Good all around bike for anything form trail to road riding. I love this bike for all of its uses. This is the bike for you if you like to go fast at a smooth rate.

Favorite Trail:   Manistque river trail

Purchased At:   Tour America Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Raliegh M600 is close.

Bike Setup:   XT rear derailer, Manitou Magnum R, Titec Hellbent bar, Deore Hollowtech crankset

Submitted by Marco a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, Florida

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Frame Geometry, Drivetrain, Brakes, weight

Weaknesses:    Stock Forks, Wheels, Tires

Bottom Line:
This is actually a correction -- I posted this in the '99 section accidentally.

Ok, the tires that come with the bike SUCK. Total crap. I wouldnt use them for frigging ring toss. I mean, if youre going to put shiite tires on a bike, at least make them decent commuter tires. These tires arent even good enough to recycle. Burn them.

The wheels that come with it are kinda lame, but not bad enough to justify putting these crappy tires on it. Sun ZJ18. Machine built. Breathe on them and they go out of true. Really ride them and watch them turn into pretzels. I have ordered new wheels (laser beam rims and WTB hubs - hand built by airbomb).

Anyhow, with some Tioga tires, the new SX-R (instead of the piece of crap Magnum-R that came stock), this baby rode great through the woods, down hills, through sand, and over stumps.

The geometry is great on this bike, but make sure, if you buy one that you go with the largest bike you can. I rode the 17 inch for a few days and I'm 5'9". Made me feel like my center of gravity was over the front hub.

Took the 19 inch out...now this was sweet. This bike really holds its own with anything priced even a little higher. I think the Kona Caldera is just as good of a deal -- if you dont mind spending a little more money. At least the Caldera / Cinder Cone comes with strong wheels and good tires. So what if the brakes are avid 1.0 instead of 2.0?

The avid 2.0 brakes died on me though in one day. I think it was my own fault due to a NASTY barend hang up on a little tree. Man did I ring my bell. I actually hit my head so hard that I felt like i had crapped my pants. Not figuratively either -- I must have wacked the nerves that are stimulated when you take a crap -- because for 10 minutes I lay on the ground thinking I crapped myself. It was pretty cool, but i ripped the barends off right away. Just so you know, i didnt really crap my pants. I just felt like i had a brownsnake in the bag.

Anyhow. After giving the Eureka a full workout, I would say that I'm still happy with it, but 1/3 wish I had gone with the Kona.

Do I regret getting the Jamis? No. Will I get another one when this one gets stolen or trashed or its just time for a new bike? Not unless they offer better major components. Would I advise you to buy one? Depends on how you like the ride...I like it...a lot...I'm just pissed that it took $500 in extras to make this a truly trail worthy machine.

Value chilis are 3 because you have to go upgrade the most major stuff on it to make it a really good bike. The bike is pretty sweet though, so 4 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Im new here, finding new ones every day

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, Aquila, Kai Tai, Big Sur, Kona Cindercone, K2 OZ-X, Cannondale F500, F700, F900SX, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper, Kona Caldera

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, Deore Cranks, Avid Brakes, Manitou SX-R with lockout, Velociraptor and Tioga Factory front tire (switch them), panaracer firex rear. (got some laserbeam rims on WTB hubs coming in the mail from airbomb)