Jamis 1999 Exile Hardtail Bike

1999 Jamis Exile, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Spyder, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by michal greene a Cross Country Rider from louisville, ky! yall.

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Strengths:    steel- it rides like a cadillac!

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses as far as the frame goes. i like the goemetry.

Bottom Line:
the frame is a very comfortable ride. it absorbs shock very well (at high speeds) and likes to hug the trail. i upgraded the bike almost completely. i like it b/c a hardtail is really ideal for ky terrain, but it's steel, so i can float off high drops and not even worry about it (until i blow my knees out). but like i said, it'c ideal: tough, but an excellent climber and a f$$$in cadillac. if i was into racing in tights i guess i would complain about the weight, but w/ clipless pedals, i can get the thing up over anything! steel will kill.

Favorite Trail:   otter creek

Bike Setup:   xt, z3 bomber, ritchey bars and clipless, etc.

Submitted by Matt Fox a Cross Country Rider from Port st. Lucie FL

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    nice sturdy frame keeps on going! Its tough!

Weaknesses:    the stock rims bend and bend after every ride i come back and check my tires and there rubbing on the brakes once again swap the hutchison rims out for some mavics

Bottom Line:
This BIKE is awesome for a beginner rider. I am moving on now and buying a JAMIS DAKAR COMP 2002, i would recommend this bike to all beginner intermediate riders that want a great deal and a Tough bike i beat the hell out of it and its sill goin

Favorite Trail:   Razorback It's in Ocala!!!!

Purchased At:   Bikes and Bargains

Similar Products Used:   schwin mesa

Bike Setup:   pretty much stock except added a rockshock suspenstion seat and some new yeti grips

Submitted by Bubba from slc

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my last review. I replaced the crankset and BB with XT. The BB flex that I thought was in the frame was not. It was all the crankset that I had. The ride is now lively and even a bit stiff in that area. Just wanted to give Jamis some credit for designing a good ride and offering it for a good price.

Submitted by Bubba a Cross Country Rider from SLC UT

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    Steel

Weaknesses:    Tall frame. A bit flexy in the bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
This is an entry level bike. The frame is not designed to be a "racer". The geometry makes for a very neutral handling bike. Its not real twitchy and not super stable. Its also steel. This means the frame will flex for a more comfortable and lively ride. It will also weigh a bit more. If you are that concerned with weight take a good dump before you ride and save your money. My bike is a 21" and it weighs just under 25 pounds. Thats pretty good considering the size of the bike. If you want a good bike for a good price than this will work. But you get what you pay for. If you want a "racer" than save up a little dough and buy a "racer". But you will remember steel when that aluminium hardtail is deflecting your back tire all over the place and treating you but with the delicacy of a jackhammer.

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   SXR fork. XT rear derailer and cassette. LX Front derailer and shifters. Coda Brakes, hubs, seat. Avid 7.0 levers. mavic 221 rims and an Azonic bar.

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from higganum,CT

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    good frame geometry, decent hardware for the money.

Weaknesses:    I feel a little flex in the stock cranks and i will upgrade them when i get the money.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden BMX for many years now and i have finally crossed over into big bike territory and I must say I am very pleased with this bike. It's relatively light, has good geometry and it takes a beating. Granted it doesnt have the best hardware but you get what you pay for, this bike could easily cost 750 with better stuff on it. Everyone complains about weight but, this is not a heavy bike. You could buy expensive tires and a seat, and drop the weight by 2 lbs. big deal, to a person buying this bike in this price range, in the end the difference between a 30 lb bike and a 26 lb bike doesnt really matter. If you ride 2-3 times a week and want a decent bike but don't want to break the bank, then its for you. If you got the money then by all means there is better stuff out there.

Purchased At:   cutting edge/ CT

Similar Products Used:   my friends GT timberline

Bike Setup:   stock, platform petals, i had the store get rid of the grip shift too.

Submitted by Darren McCall a Cross Country Rider from Pembroke Pines, Florida

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    Steel frame, nice welds, forgiving ride quality that only Steel can give.

Weaknesses:    Seat, Seat post, Riser Bar, Front shock, Pedals, headset...

Bottom Line:
I have really enjoyed this bike. This is an update from the earlier post. I have changed to Time ATAC alum pedals, solved my problem with "rolling" out of the pedals when I didnt want to. I changed the front fork out to a Manatou SX-R which makes the bike ride wonderfully. With my weight, I needed some rebound damping and this did the trick. I got rid of the stock no name gripshifters, and went to the STX-RC thumb shifters. Everyone may think that the STX-RC stuff is not that great, but, it seems to perform very well. I only adjust the drive train about once a week, and keep it very clean. I will be upgrading to a full XT groupset soon. The frame is very tough, yet forgiving. I recommend this bike if you can find one. Great frame to grow with..

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Square Wheels Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   GT, Trek, Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   Full STX-RC groupset, Time Alum pedals, Titec Seatpost, Thompson Flat bar, Manatou SX-R front fork, Selle Italia Flite saddle, Panaracer Fire tires.

Submitted by Darren McCall a Cross Country Rider from Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Strengths:    Price, I got it because the shop was going out of business. The frame is great, awesome welds, satin finish looks wonderful.

Weaknesses:    No name grip shifters, riser bar, a little flexy at the bottom bracket, but hey, I weigh 225 and I am 6'2. The STX-RC cranks are flexy, but for 450 bucks, I can up grade.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a very affordable hardtail to get me back into cycling. I have tested most out there in the 850 to 1100 buck range. I found this bike by sheer accident. It is a Reynolds tube frame, very attractive, with decent components. The bike fit me well, (19" frame) with the only negative thing being the top tube is a little short. This, combined with the long stem makes the handling a little fast. This is nothing that an experienced rider cant handle. The front fork (manatou spyder) is ok for my weight, I changed to the heavier MCU's and it does the job. The lack of rebound damping is noticable for the type of riding I do.

I am no racer, but I do ride some very technical terrain. This bike is very fun to ride, not to heavy, and the frame is very upgradable. I am very glad to have gotten this bike. Now to upgrade it piece by piece, then get an Airborne Lucky Strike frame to replace it.

Bottom line, this bike is great for the money I spent on it. If you can find one used, get it.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Square Wheels Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500, GT Zaskar, GT Timberline FS, Trek Y-22

Bike Setup:   Stock, with exception to the easton C-2 bar and LX rapid fire shifters, Selle Italia Flight saddle.

Submitted by Dr. Unk a Cross Country Rider from albany NY

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2001

Strengths:    Great reynolds frame, steel is real, a great value!

Weaknesses:    As a beginer's bike it has few

Bottom Line:
As a beginers bike this bike rocks. A quality steel frame, An agressive geomerty that real shines in single track. Brian you don't know what your talking about this bike is well worth the money. Only a fool wouldn't recommend it to a friend as a good starting bike. Did you read that?... "Only a fool wouldn't recomend it."

Favorite Trail:   that one

Similar Products Used:   Serrotta (it sucked) mountain cycle (broke in half)

Bike Setup:   LX deraileurs, Deore, a seat and handle bar with grips and brake levers.

Submitted by Chris Wright a Weekend Warrior from Morgan Hill, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff frame, light bike
decent components
good price

Weaknesses:    Dunno...there's probably better bikes out there...

Bottom Line:
I'm a clydesdale-class rider (well over 200 lbs) and this bike has worked very well for me: there's no flex to it, the geometry is good on the whole mountain, and it's really sturdy--I've beaten it up with my weight, and thrashed it in a few gnarly crashes, and it keeps going. It'll probably work good for anyone who enjoys riding for the sake of riding, and it probably wouldn't do too bad as an entry-level race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in the Saratoga Gap