Jamis 1999 Eureka Hardtail Bike

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

1999 Jamis Eureka, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Answer Manitou Spyder R, 2.75" travel fork

Submitted by Adam Boone a Cross Country Rider from Indianola, Ia, US

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Strengths:    It is kick-ass purple. It was my first real nice bike and it works great. Even though i have upgraded a lot of parts it still was great stock.

Weaknesses:    mine didn't have any decals on the left hand side. Wimpy der. hanger

Bottom Line:
This bike kicks ass. It has hauled me around and put up with my adolesent, abusive behavior towards it. It is a great bike for a beginner to intermediate rider. Everyone might not like the purple but they have new colors since.

Favorite Trail:   Brickyard

Purchased At:   Doghouse Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn hardtail

Bike Setup:   17 inch frame, 99 sid xc, lx/xt/xtr components, Avid arch rival 50 brakes, new cockpit, Mavic Crossride wheels

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    Very, very responsive. Lighter. Full LX group(minus wheelset).

Weaknesses:    Manitou Spyder R. Hutchinson Chameleon Tires. Toe Clip&Strap pedals.

Bottom Line:
Everyone in the world seems to be hacking on the stock wheelset. I am almost 270Lbs, and never had a problem with the wheels. After almost 450 miles, the old wheels are still kicking. I only got a new set because it was a killer deal, and I needed wheels for a frame I was building.

The bike is affordable, looks great, rides great, you just truly can't go wrong with it.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   Local Shop(Closeout)

Similar Products Used:   My first bike was an entry bike. GT Timberline. No complaints with this one either.

Bike Setup:   New wheels LX/Mavic222 Full LX group. Thompson seatpost. Ti Saddle. Easton MonkeyLite riser. Panaracer XC tires.

Submitted by Marco a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, Florida

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Frame Geometry, Drivetrain, Brakes

Weaknesses:    Stock Forks, Wheels, Tires

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review to the one above.

Ok, the tires that come with the bike SUCK. Total crap. I wouldnt use them for frigging ring toss. I mean, if youre going to put shiite tires on a bike, at least make them decent commuter tires. Anyone want some crap tires call me.

The wheels that come with it are kinda lame, but not bad enough to justify putting these crappy tires on it.

Anyhow, with some Tioga tires, the new SX-R (instead of the piece of crap Magnum-R that came stock), this baby rode great through the woods, down hills, through sand, and over stumps.

The geometry is great on this bike, but make sure, if you buy one that you go with the largest bike you can. I rode the 17 inch for a few days and I'm 5'9". Made me feel like my center of gravity was over the front hub.

Took the 19 inch out...now this was sweet. This bike really holds its own with anything priced even a little higher. I think the Kona Caldera is just as good of a deal -- if you dont mind spending a little more money (and does the Caldera come with XT?).

The avid brakes died on me though in one day. I think it was my own fault due to a NASTY barend hang up on a little tree. Man did I ring my bell. I actually hit my head so hard that I felt like i had crapped my pants. Not figuratively either -- I must have wacked the nerves that are stimulated when you take a crap -- because for 10 minutes I lay on the ground thinking I crapped myself. It was pretty cool, but i ripped the barends off right away. Just so you know, i didnt really crap my pants. I just felt like i had a brownsnake in the bag.

Anyhow. After giving the Eureka a full workout, I would say that I'm still happy with it, but 1/2 wish I had gone with the Kona.

Do I regret getting the Jamis? No. Will I get another one when this one gets stolen or trashed or its just tiem for a new bike? Not unless they offer better major components. Would I advise you to buy one? Depends on how you like the ride...I like it...

Value chilis are 3 because you have to go upgrade the most major stuff on it to make it a really good bike. The bike is pretty sweet though, so 4 overall.

Favorite Trail:   Powerlines

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, Aquila, Kai Tai, Big Sur, Kona Cindercone, K2 OZ-X, Cannondale F500, F700, F900SX, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, Deore Cranks, Avid Brakes, Manitou SX-R with lockout

Submitted by Marco a Cross Country Rider from Gainesville, Florida

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    Price, Frame Geometry, Drivetrain, Brakes

Weaknesses:    Forks, Wheels

Bottom Line:
I test rode everything in town, and some stuff out of town. The Gary Fishers were nice, Kona was good stuff, the K2 was full suspension, so it isnt fair to compare it, but I had a great deal on the K2 ($999), but that smart fork just spooked me.

OK, the F900SX was better. Of course, the damn thing costs $1800. My second choice of everything I rode was this Jamis. Shocked the hell out of me how great it rode, how confidence-inspiring the geometry was. And the Avid brakes! I rode disc just before riding this, and these brakes spanked the disc. Besides, I think disc is bullshirt anyhow -- more expensive complicated crap we didn't need, like the K@ "smart fork."

anyhow, for $729 complete this bike was a steal. (Campus Cycle in Gainesville, Florida). I told them to keep the forks and the pedals and they gave it to me for $599. I'm online mail-ordering some forks right now.

Anyhow, I'll do a follow-up review in 30 days, but take it from me -- if you are looking in the sub-$1000 range, you owe it to yourself to check out the Jamis Eureka.

Favorite Trail:   Anything muddy, dirty, and hilly

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, Deore Cranks, Avid Brakes, Had the Maintou Magnum R fork removed

Submitted by John Charles a Weekend Warrior from Tenafly, NJ

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2000

Strengths:
It is a good bike for the price ($800) and it holds the trail well. It looks cool also.

Weaknesses:
You need to buy clipless pedals and the rear derailer hanger is very very weak.

Bottom Line:
This is a good bike for a beginner. I have had to replace the seat post and the seat because I bent them in crashes. If you ride rocky terain then you shoud consider getting about three or four rear derailer hangers (they are cheep-$5 each). I bend them a little each time I ride. I have gone through three since I got the bike.

6 months

1998 version till I broke the frame.

Stock, plus the clipless pedals, tompson seat post, and new seat.

Submitted by Rick Bell a Weekend Warrior from Union, Missouri

Date Reviewed: April 11, 1999

Strengths:
Looks and feels excellent. Comes with an great set of components. Rides like a gem... Blew everything else in its price range (and more expensive ones) away.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't come with clipless pedals, had to buy a pair for it.

Bottom Line:
5 Chilies to this baby! It's one of the most plesant surprises that I've ever had for $800. I tried several offernings from other makes and in *higher* price ranges, and this thing easily grinds them into the ground. The geometry of the 7005 Eureka frame makes the thing feel as solid as steel, and it is quite a looker with its sloped down top tube, s-bended chainstays, and the unexpectedly sweet looking color combination of deep purple and orange. A '99 Shimano LX drivetrain gives it just enough smooth control to satisfy the component heads out there, and LX is a lot lighter and sleeker than previous years. I've gotten many a comment about this thing on trails. Jamis has quite a few surprises up their sleeves.

Casthewood State Park

3 months

Product lines from Raleigh, GT, & Specialized.